QM2 not up to the standards presented

Nclbella

AROUND, AROUND!

Hi Nclbella,

I'm very interest to find out how you felt about dress-standard/codes/comfort etc after your July 4th voyage. Did your husband feel comfortable in his nice shorts, late in the evening or did he feel the need to change at 11 pm before having a late evening drink? Were there folks returning from shore-leave who stayed in shore-clothing or did people, in general, feel the need to change into Cunard clothing ; ) after the day in Boston? Or, did the weather decide the matter for your husband? Was it raining by that time?

Best to you, Jimmybean

Seriously, can I ask you a question?

Why do you seem so cranky? Please by all means, defend your ocean liner, but do not put people down and make fun of them in the meantime. You are actually coming across, to me, as an unhappy person. Maybe you have not had a vacation in a while? I am sorry for that, but please note that everyone does jot feel,the way you do about this ship.

Happy sailing!

Nclbella, my comment about how a meal is served has nothing to do with any ship. It's called sarcasm, and it's often used to point out how ridiculous what someone has said is (i.e. in this instance that their meal was carried from the kitchen to the table as if that was not good enough. So how else was it supposed to get there then ?). Have you every watched Fawlty Towers ? There's a scene where a lady complains about the view from her bedroom window, and how she thinks it's not good enough. Basil (John Cleese) asks her what she expects to see from a seaside hotel window, and then suggests some outrageous things she might like to see instead.

The problem is, it's a very British form of humour which I don't think is widley understood in the US.

I'd be interested to know who you mean by the phrase "those NYC ladies".

There used to be cooking lessons on the QM2 in the Chef's Galley, but I think these ended years ago. (A shame)

I don't believe waiters need to learn to cook. Sometimes, I think they could use a brush-up lesson in serving, however. Just my opinion.

Aren't New York Ladies straightforwardly: "ladies who live in New York City"??? That is what the phrase means to me.

What exactly was offending you? Seeing smokers thru glass whose smoke had absolutely no effect on you whatsoever. People around the pool on a cruise? When did we become so special that we expect the view of our choice in a resturant?

I'd be interested to know who you mean by the phrase "those NYC ladies".

Ah, I heard this expression from a member of the crew. It is not aiming at any lady from NYC but I noticed in now 40 years of direct experience that there exists a very special group of characters, certainly not only from NYC but at least pretending to be NYish, who enjoy themselves in demanding the impossible, complaining as a principle of their living and telling every member of staff being complete idiots. All this with a voice of a shrapnell. "those", not "the" NYC Ladies.

I have met so many nice people of NYC who would never act like this.

What exactly was offending you? Seeing smokers thru glass whose smoke had absolutely no effect on you whatsoever. People around the pool on a cruise? When did we become so special that we expect the view of our choice in a resturant?
Hi brigittetom,

As others have suggested...

"Mrs. Richards: And another thing. I booked a room with a view.

Basil: [quietly to Manuel] Deaf, mad and blind. [Goes to the window] Yes, this is the view as I remember it, yes, yes, this is it.

Mrs. Richards: When I pay for a room with a view, I expect something more interesting than that.

Basil: That is Torquay madam.

Mrs. Richards: Well it's not good enough.

Basil: Well, may I ask what you expected to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House, perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?

Mrs. Richards: Don't be silly. I expect to be able to see the sea.

Basil: You can see the sea. It's over there between the land and the sky.

Mrs. Richards: I'd need a telescope to see that.

Basil: Well, then, may I suggest you move to a hotel nearer the sea? [mutters] Or preferably in it.

Mrs Richards: Now listen to me. I am not satisfied. However, I have decided to stay. But I shall expect a reduction.

Basil: Why, because Krakatoa's not erupting at the moment?"

(BBC. Fawlty Towers, Communication Problems. seen here:

)

All best wishes to you :)

Edited by pepperrn

I wonder if US people realize that "waiter" in Europe is a serious profession with a thourough and systematic training including the preparation of meals. A "waiter" in Western Europe does not like to be seen on the same level as someone who was employed from the road to put plates with steak and fries and ketchup in front of some people and remove towers of dirty dishes afterwards on a huge tray. A waiter will never carry more than 3 plates and will not use a tray close to a table.

A waiter will prepare a rack of lamb completely at the table.

A waiter will not push the guest to vacate a table when the meal seems to be finished.

It's a 3 years training, another 2-4 years as Commis de Service (assistant waiter), many ears as Chef de Service ("chef" is not a cook, it is a position in the hierarchy of a professional system) and the become head waiter or even sometimes Maitre d'Hotel. A kitchen knows exactly the same steps for "Cooks".

This system is operated on Cunard ships in the serviced restaurants, but not in the pubs, coffee shops and self service places.

Unfortunately in the US this is totally simplifyed to dishwasher-> waiter-> chef-> famous because expensive celebrity restaurant owner.

Cunard has the constant task to balance between these totatally different expectations.

The results of this can be read here daily.

Hi brigittetom,

As others have suggested...

"Mrs. Richards: And another thing. I booked a room with a view.

Basil: [quietly to Manuel] Deaf, mad and blind. [Goes to the window] Yes, this is the view as I remember it, yes, yes, this is it.

Mrs. Richards: When I pay for a room with a view, I expect something more interesting than that.

Basil: That is Torquay madam.

Mrs. Richards: Well it's not good enough.

Basil: Well, may I ask what you expected to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House, perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?

Mrs. Richards: Don't be silly. I expect to be able to see the sea.

Basil: You can see the sea. It's over there between the land and the sky.

Mrs. Richards: I'd need a telescope to see that.

Basil: Well, then, may I suggest you move to a hotel nearer the sea? [mutters] Or preferably in it.

Mrs Richards: Now listen to me. I am not satisfied. However, I have decided to stay. But I shall expect a reduction.

Basil: Why, because Krakatoa's not erupting at the moment?"

(BBC. Fawlty Towers, Communication Problems. seen here:

)

All best wishes to you :)

Is that the same as complaining to the Captain that I was promised a perfect Trans Atlantic voyage? Thanks, I needed that.

Is that the same as complaining to the Captain that I was promised a perfect Trans Atlantic voyage? Thanks, I needed that.
That clip always makes me laugh, no matter how many times I see it, I'm glad if it brought a smile to your face :) .

Sending all good wishes across the pond :) .

When having lunch in TE on QM2 I always find the excessive amounts of cellulite on display particularly attractive, this is only superseded by those who approach and stand close to the "obscured" windows outside the restaurant and proceed to adjust various bits and pieces of their bodies, confident that they are obscured from others on the deck. It quite put me off my tripe and onions and bratwurst on more than one occasion.

Edited by capnpugwash

That clip always makes me laugh, no matter how many times I see it, I'm glad if it brought a smile to your face :) .

Sending all good wishes across the pond :) .

You might not realize that this scene is a common situation in every hotel every day.

I love Fawlty Towers, but sometimes I can't laugh...

Hi Pepper

As ever you can see what I was referring to with my comment about having my meal delivered on the back of a horse by a knight in shining armour because, just having it brought to my table was, as Mrs Richards would say "not good enough" !!

I think of Mrs Richards now that my mother-in-law has a hearing aid. She doesn't always wear it and as Mrs Richards says "I don't use it because it wears the battery down" !

Take Care

Toad

Nclbella, my comment about how a meal is served has nothing to do with any ship. It's called sarcasm, and it's often used to point out how ridiculous what someone has said is (i.e. in this instance that their meal was carried from the kitchen to the table as if that was not good enough. So how else was it supposed to get there then ?). Have you every watched Fawlty Towers ? There's a scene where a lady complains about the view from her bedroom window, and how she thinks it's not good enough. Basil (John Cleese) asks her what she expects to see from a seaside hotel window, and then suggests some outrageous things she might like to see instead.

The problem is, it's a very British form of humour which I don't think is widley understood in the US.

Mr. or Ms Toad, you quoted me out of context. My comment about the main course was clearly a comparison about the style of service in the Grills vs the basic style of Todd English. There was nothing ridiculous in my comparison. Even in the Grills, all items from the basic daily menu are served plated in the galley, with the passenger having no say as to what vegetables will be accompanying the main course or how much of each. But most of the a la carte items in the Grills are flambéed or "finished" (this is a quote from the menu) tableside by the assistant maître d. With these choices the veggies are offered separately and, as a person who finds 80% of vegetables to be vile-tasting, I appreciate having some say as to which ones I am eating and the quantity of same. I appreciate that even high-end restaurants on land offer plated service as opposed to silver service, but I have been spoiled by the traditional old-world flair of the Grills.

When I serve casual meals at home for my wife and me, I bring the plated meal from the kitchen and place it on the table, just like they do in Todd English. But when I have guests, I use serving plates and bowls and allow my guests to decide how many pieces of meat or fish they want and to choose which vegetables they prefer. I do not make the decision for them.

I believe we were on the same crossing. Perhaps that sommelier was Irina? We thought she was the standout staff member in Todd English - very pleasant and enthusiastic about the wines.

I'm afraid I don't remember her name, but she was a gem. I don't understand why there would be only one sommelier for all those tables. Perhaps this was unusual. The ratio of sommelier to tables was much better in Britannia.

This thread confuses me.

But, I agree with almost everything I've read here.

View of walkers on promenade from the Grill probably isn't always a pretty sight.

Best waiter we ever had on QM2 was, matter of fact, from Eastern Europe. Now I understand "why."

Fawlty Towers was a very funny show. Unfortunately, I never saw enough episodes to learn any inside jokes.

British people do have a great sense of humor.

Not everyone is satisfied by Cunard. Part of the Cunard experience is what Cunard delivers. Part is the expectations passengers bring onboard. Part can be things beyond anyone's control: like weather and illness.

One can learn a lot from reading CC boards.

I'm afraid I don't remember her name, but she was a gem. I don't understand why there would be only one sommelier for all those tables. Perhaps this was unusual. The ratio of sommelier to tables was much better in Britannia.

As TE does offer tables for 2 or 4 only one sommelier should be sufficent. Don't compare them to the beginners at the MDR.

Mr. or Ms Toad, you quoted me out of context. My comment about the main course was clearly a comparison about the style of service in the Grills vs the basic style of Todd English. There was nothing ridiculous in my comparison. Even in the Grills, all items from the basic daily menu are served plated in the galley, with the passenger having no say as to what vegetables will be accompanying the main course or how much of each. But most of the a la carte items in the Grills are flambéed or "finished" (this is a quote from the menu) tableside by the assistant maître d. With these choices the veggies are offered separately and, as a person who finds 80% of vegetables to be vile-tasting, I appreciate having some say as to which ones I am eating and the quantity of same. I appreciate that even high-end restaurants on land offer plated service as opposed to silver service, but I have been spoiled by the traditional old-world flair of the Grills.

When I serve casual meals at home for my wife and me, I bring the plated meal from the kitchen and place it on the table, just like they do in Todd English. But when I have guests, I use serving plates and bowls and allow my guests to decide how many pieces of meat or fish they want and to choose which vegetables they prefer. I do not make the decision for them.

The menus in QG [and I imagine PG too] show what veg is to be served, either with the entrée as plated, or the sides on offer and if there's something you don't like then you say so and ask for it not to be served. If there's something you love, you ask for more and if you want plain old carrots/peas/cauli/beans etc, you ask for it.

You have total control over what is served and in the quantities you require. That is the beauty of Queens Grill. If it's on the ship, you can have it and I imagine, to reasonable extent, PG.

I wonder how Cunard could account for how many people took the trip.

They can't....which is what made the whole thing unsavory. This was in the afternoon so I'm guessing the actual tours booked thru Cunard had already taken place. The bus driver was there hoping to get strays. I have no problem with Cunard or the bus company making a profit because it's our choice to participate or not. My only complaint was that Cunard passengers were being charged double.

Of course this is just my perception....I always think that Cunard passengers are special and assume that people are thrilled to see us. :D

They can't....which is what made the whole thing unsavory. This was in the afternoon so I'm guessing the actual tours booked thru Cunard had already taken place. The bus driver was there hoping to get strays. I have no problem with Cunard or the bus company making a profit because it's our choice to participate or not. My only complaint was that Cunard passengers were being charged double.

Of course this is just my perception....I always think that Cunard passengers are special and assume that people are thrilled to see us. :D

I'm always pleased to see you :) but isn't this just a good example of free enterprise by the bus driver? Cunard don't seem to be involved at all.

Yes, it actually made me feel bad.....I took it personally and no one likes to be discriminated against. A few dollars wouldn't have bothered me...but double?

I can picture the bus and driver but I don't remember the name or even if the bus was red or blue. It was sitting right outside the terminal. With any luck, we'll be there again in Sept. and I absolutely will test it again. I guess the way to fix it is to say that we aren't from the ship....then tell all the other passengers on the bus that we only paid half price. Sounds like a fun afternoon to me. :D

I like your style. I hope said opportunity presents itself.

I've called the Tourism Department. If you can collect useful info about the tour operator the next time this happens that would be very helpful and the government will try to clamp down on this dishonest practice. Cruise lines charging whatever-they-can-get to facilitate shore excursions is old hat, but this is something different.

If anyone else can help in the interim that'd be great. Company name, identifying bus number if possible (may be a rogue driver), anything else that you think can help.

I'm sorry tourists are getting gouged. If this happens again, you'll get no relief on-the-spot, and very likely none later, but if you can help bring such unscrupulous behaviour to light, I hope you will. Thanks.

I'm always pleased to see you :) but isn't this just a good example of free enterprise by the bus driver? Cunard don't seem to be involved at all.

Yes, free enterprise is a good thing....but why not be enterprising and charge the same for everyone? Cunard probably isn't involved in the afternoon bus rides but it does tell me that I can get a tour a lot cheaper than booking with Cunard....of course we all already know that anyway. :)

When having lunch in TE on QM2 I always find the excessive amounts of cellulite on display particularly attractive, this is only superseded by those who approach and stand close to the "obscured" windows outside the restaurant and proceed to adjust various bits and pieces of their bodies, confident that they are obscured from others on the deck. It quite put me off my tripe and onions and bratwurst on more than one occasion.

I'm pleased to say that I'm very aware that you can see through glass. I've often felt guilty sitting out there late after sailaway.....when I know the nicely dressed are dining inside. But not guilty enough to actually leave if I'm having a good time. :rolleyes:

I like your style. I hope said opportunity presents itself.

I've called the Tourism Department. If you can collect useful info about the tour operator the next time this happens that would be very helpful and the government will try to clamp down on this dishonest practice. Cruise lines charging whatever-they-can-get to facilitate shore excursions is old hat, but this is something different.

If anyone else can help in the interim that'd be great. Company name, identifying bus number if possible (may be a rogue driver), anything else that you think can help.

I'm sorry tourists are getting gouged. If this happens again, you'll get no relief on-the-spot, and very likely none later, but if you can help bring such unscrupulous behaviour to light, I hope you will. Thanks.

I don't see the issue unless the driver is breaking the law. Pricing the customer is prevalent in many businesses.

I don't see the issue unless the driver is breaking the law. Pricing the customer is prevalent in many businesses.

I agree, it's just business. Cunard passengers possibly pay more for their cruises, so it isn't unreasonable to expect that they might be willing to pay more for a bus trip.

The company or driver, as it's represented, is indeed breaking regulations. Transportation industry here is well-regulated, and while you're welcome to charge whatever you like (cabs excepted), if you want to keep your licence you must charge everyone the same. And all commercial transport must be licensed.

(And no, you can't nominally charge everyone double and give out "50% discounts" willy-nilly. That's been to court too.)

I'm very much a Libertarian by nature and have no problem pricing-the-customer or being so priced in my own life, but these rules were brought in to try to protect travellers--minority travellers in particular. So I can understand the motivation.