Eclipse baltic review june 21st-july 5th 2014

baljaffray

Nice review Baljaffray, I would agree with nearly everything you said.

We opted to use Celebrity flights and transfers which was a huge mistake, they used Flybe and our experience was very poor. I booked an extra case @20kg, they couldn't find this on my booking on either flight and I had to produce documentation both ways. Then when we landed it took 1 hour before the baggage carousel started turning which meant I didn't get home till 4pm. I could have driven home to Scotland quicker than that, so I would urge Celebrity not to use Flybe if possible in future.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Great review and most helpful.

Could I ask what currency you used in the different countries? Was you able to use your credit card in most places? I don't really want to have to get currency for the Scandinavian ports as we will probably only use the hop on hop off buses.

many thanks

Rob

You can use your credit card to pay for Hop On Hop Off buses/boats. We also credit cards in most stores and restaurants as well. Several of the small stores asked for cash but if you tell them you don't have local currency they will take credit cards.

Hi thanks for the great review. I was wondering if you could tell me the time your ship docked and how long after that did they allow you to get off the ship carrying your own luggage? The reason I ask is that we will be on Eclipse August 16 for the Baltic cruise and husband booked an 11:30 am flight from London Heathrow. Our ship docks Saturday August 30, at 5:30 a.m. and we will have a taxi waiting for us at 6:30 a.m. Do you think we are pushing our luck trying to make this 11:30 flight? Thanks

kcherie

Doc was officially 05.30 but don't know for sure, though we 'hung about' the coast nearby from late evening. First departure was stated as 06.30,as a carry off your luggage only. We left 07.15 and there was lots of people doing the same. Do not know about Heathrow as we were only Southampton.

Nice review Baljaffray, I would agree with nearly everything you said.

We opted to use Celebrity flights and transfers which was a huge mistake, they used Flybe and our experience was very poor. I booked an extra case @20kg, they couldn't find this on my booking on either flight and I had to produce documentation both ways. Then when we landed it took 1 hour before the baggage carousel started turning which meant I didn't get home till 4pm. I could have driven home to Scotland quicker than that, so I would urge Celebrity not to use Flybe if possible in future.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's a pity, our experience was great. I booked myself Glasgow-Southampton and booked x2 20kg and x1 23kg and took a small case as hand luggage, plus carried on the kilts in a suit carrier, plus my handbag, son's rucksack, and husbands 'manbag'. No issues and x2 very quick luggage retrieval.

Great review and most helpful.

Could I ask what currency you used in the different countries? Was you able to use your credit card in most places? I don't really want to have to get currency for the Scandinavian ports as we will probably only use the hop on hop off buses.

many thanks

Rob

I took £30 in both Swedish and Danish and Russian currency's just for incidentals. We did use them for ice-creams,drinks, but euros are accepted. We used our visa card with no problems.

Its an excellent review and now I don't need to write one! So so happy we had to chance to meet your wonderful family. Talk to you soon :)

Shelly

Hi Shelly,

I thought I'd better get it done as I am back at work today!

We had a great cruise meeting everyone, and I think our next one must be from Fort Lauderdale or Miami so we can meet up!!

Thank you for your review.

I wonder if you happened to take a picture or make note of the Classic wines available in the MDR? You noted that there was a separate wine list showing what was available on the Classic and Premium packages and that would be very helpful to see.

Sailing in 4 weeks and unsure if I need to upgrade.

Sorry I did not. We have a list of the classic package as a whole and a list on what was available on that sailing, which we will scan in. You can check it out once on-board and upgrade if necessary. We had a leaflet in our sea-pass card folder saying 'why not upgrade from your classic package '. Some guests only bought a package for the last 2 sea days!

Thank you for the excellent review! We too are sailing this itinerary on the Eclipse but not until 2015. Your port information will be very helpful as I'm just in the early stages of planning. My husband and I will be traveling with our daughter who will be 18 at the time. Are there any things in particular your son enjoyed or didn't enjoy?

Thank you for the excellent review! We too are sailing this itinerary on the Eclipse but not until 2015. Your port information will be very helpful as I'm just in the early stages of planning. My husband and I will be traveling with our daughter who will be 18 at the time. Are there any things in particular your son enjoyed or didn't enjoy?

He said 'everyone in the youth club was under 15' and everyone else was over 60'!! but joking aside he loved the ports, fitness suite, comedy shows, and lots and lots of food! He brushed up on social skills by meeting different people every night for dinner which was a big plus.

Thank you for your detailed response, we are sailing in 10 days! Also booked alla tours but still pondering how many roubles required. Booked 2 day trip, probably get a few inexpensive souvenirs, I have read that euros taken but presumably we will need roubles....

Chiming in regarding the need for rubles: We were on the Constellation to the Baltics in May/June of this year. We paid for our StP tour with TJ tours with our US credit card. No problem at all. Exchange rate is better with your credit card than if you do an exchange on your own.

Betsy

Thank you for your detailed response, we are sailing in 10 days! Also booked alla tours but still pondering how many roubles required. Booked 2 day trip, probably get a few inexpensive souvenirs, I have read that euros taken but presumably we will need roubles....

You wont need any roubles. We paid the tour with our credit card (on the bus at the end of 1st day). The shops they take you in all accept euros and US dollars. Our Alla tour was great,and would recommend.

baljaffray--Thanks for your very helpful review.

I would appreciate help from anyone who can answer my questions. I will be on the Eclipse in August.

Did you have any delays getting off your ship in St. Petersburg? I have heard it sometimes takes a while to go through the Russian Border Control due to difficulty with paperwork, and these delays have caused problems for tourists trying to get to their independent tours. We are to meet our tour guide at 8:30.

What time should I plan to leave the ship? Is 7:45 early enough?

How long did it take you to debark in St. Petersburg?

Thanks for your help.

Our tour was with Alla. The 1st day our meet up was 08.30. We left the ship at 07.45 as Celebrity stated the first day could take 45 mins to get through. There is NO paperwork to fill in now, all we had to show was our passport which they stamped and they placed a piece of paper inside which had our details on it, this had to be given back when we returned.There was lots of booths and I would say it took 25 mins for us to get to the front, but the actually process only took 5 mins. The 2nd day our meet up was 07.30 and we left the ship at 07.10, This time we had to show our tour ticket with our passport, but it was very quick. The whole process was very smooth and much better than I thought. There was celebrity officers around, making sure everything was going well. My son thinks it's cool to have 2 Russian stamps in his passport now!

Celebrity Eclipse was in immaculate condition, delighted with everything.We were impressed with the bathroom in the cabin, we always hook on the clear pocket storage thingy to the back of the bathroom door, but there was plenty of storage, so did not require. I thought the layout of the cabin was very good too, cases went under the bed.

Only slight faults were the bedding. The valance was quite stained in a few places, and as I always check the sheets, I noticed the mattress protector was on the wrong way with the rubber side facing upwards. This would make my husband wake up in pool of sweat, so I stripped off the bed ready to just turn it around, but the towelling side was disgusting, with lots of stains. I phoned the attendant and tried to explain we needed a fresh protector, but when we came back later he had just put an additional sheet over the mattress.

We chose select dining, a first for us, and it was the best thing ever! We never made reservations and never waited more than 3 mins. There was a barrier for reservations and walk up but no one used the 2 lines. We requested a large table and after the first night, the staff knew. Sometimes we were sat first at a table for 8 or 10 and had to wait for other guests, but that was our choice. We met lots of people this way and would chat when we met elsewhere on the ship.

We had the classic alcohol package and no problems!! I went to guest relations as soon as we got on ship and I asked for a list of drinks included. There were lots on offer, but there was another list which was what was on board that sailing. My husband likes tiger beer which was on the list but unfortunately not for our cruise, but he drank plenty other drinks. At the Martini bar where the action was every night, he had martinis. Sometimes if they had no small glasses he would get a large, and I always got a Bombay Sapphire gin. We were happy with the package, getting fresh orange at breakfast, and bottled water (at the same time), and all the hot drinks at café al Bacio.

Oceanview café was always good, though busy at breakfast on sea days ( Aqua spa café was ideal for me these days). Main dining was mainly good though we learned to order additional sides, as sometimes the meals were very sparse on accompaniments. If you ate all 4 courses it would be enough, but some meals were child sized portions, my sons (age 17) curry one night had 4 bite sized pieces of chicken! The wine menu had a page dedicated to wines on the classic and premium packages so no need to check the prices, there was about 8 red and white on the classic. The waiters always topped up the glasses as required.

Molecular bar was always quiet, and not once did I see a barman make a cocktail. We spent most nights at the Martini bar which was always busy, and we made lots of friends.

Gelateria- 2 for 1 every day 4-7pm

Theatre shows-

We enjoyed Jayne Curry, Mike Doyle, Ovations (broadway/west end) The stars of St Petersburg (dancers brought on board),Peng Fei Su(magician/illusionist) Jeff Hughes, the Eclipse band master played piano one afternoon which was fab.

Speciality restaurants- we did not try but often deals advertised

Miscellaneous-

you have to go to guest relations and ask for the port guide and map they are out of reach behind the desk!

Daily ‘newspaper’ for many countries at guest relations after 10 am.

Cruise director was Sinan from Turkey, and I was not impressed with him, he repeated himself all the time and we felt not a natural. And as Mike Doyle the comedian described him ‘Mr Bean’, though we thought Squidward from Spongebob square pants!

Only one towel animal in 2 weeks!

3 chocolates on the pillows every night.

Formal nights were well attended, and lots of dinner suits,evening gowns, and kilts (my husband/son) and lots more Scots! We witnessed a man being given a jacket to wear to enter the dining room.

20th June, flew down to Southampton from Glasgow, phoned a local taxi £14 to the Premier Inn West quay. This budget hotel was perfect for us (family of 3), it is clean, modern and comfortable, and it is less than 5 mins walk to the shops, and a short walk to the terminal.

21st June- Left hotel and walked across the road, through the Holiday Inn car park and you enter the port gates. Luggage guys were waiting and we dropped off our bags and then entered the terminal building. We left the hotel at 11.15 and were on the ship by 11.50.

Cruise Critic roll call sail away party at 16.30 at Sunset bar, name stickers and mardi gras beads, nice to meet everyone!

22nd June- Bruges

We walked out of the port gates (3 mins walk away!), and followed the pavement. Walk 10 mins to tram stop opposite church. Buy ticket in Spar store, cost 2.60 euro return. When you get on you tell the driver Blankenberge and he validates the ticket. The journey takes 15 mins. We docked on a Sunday, so trams are hourly before 09.00 then x4 an hour. When exiting the tram walk across the road to the train station. Train cost 4 euro return and takes 15 mins. These are hourly on a Sunday. When exiting the station, walk across the road, through the park and you are in the main area.

We walked around, had a Belgium waffle and enjoyed a warm sunny day.

23rd June-At Sea

Connexions meet up 09.30. Poor show from Celebrity, no goodies or raffles which I had on RCCL sailings! and was not in a private room, so others were around.

24th June-Warnemunde

We stayed local here and just stepped off the ship to this quaint little port. You walk under an underpass and the train station is right there if you want to get a train to Rockstock. A lovely walk around on another sunny day. If you need free Wi-Fi stand outside the tourist board, you will see a crowd here!

25th June-At sea

26th June-Stockholm

Set the alarm for 06.00 for arrival through the Archipelago, the helipad was available at 06.30 , and drinks/pastries were provided.

We walked approx 20 mins to the old town. We watched the changing of the guard and walked to the Vasa Museum (you can see the mast across the water from the ship, behind the rollercoasters). The museum is fascinating, entry is £13 and free for under 18's). There are plenty of hop on buses/water buses if required. A sunny day again!

27th June-Helsinki

Another sunny day, I knew there was a tram line here, totally unadvertised by Celebrity. Follow the green painted line on the pavement and after 5 mins you are at the station. Number 9, cost to centre 3 euro if bought on tram, 2.20 if bought from a ticket machine, 1.50 under 16's. 10 mins journey, we got off right outside Helsinki train station, ( green clock tower/art deco building) right in the heart of town. We walked to the Olympic stadium, cathedral, rock church, market square, and around the shopping area.

28/29th June- St Petersburg

Alla tours grand tour. Excellent 2 days with Pollina.(Sunny first day,part cloudy 2nd day)

We covered lots, and even had a subway ride (stations are beautifully decorated). We bought Russian nesting dolls which range from cheap souviners to expensive hand painted. We were in 3 shops over the 2 days and prices were similar. The always gave you cost in dollars or euro. The ship sells lots of Russion gifts the day after and the prices are much the same so don't worry if you do not get to buy in SPB. When they started the 'bazzar' at 10.30 it was a total frenzy, and people were buying everything!

We were in a group of 16, and it was perfect, some people on the ship were in a group of 30 trying to get round a jam packed Hermitage museum.

June 30th-Tallin

exit port, walk under an underpass, you will see a petrol station on right, cross road and you will see 'fat Margaret's tower' ahead and you are in the old town, walk approx 20 mins.

When we opened the curtains at 08.00 we could not see a thing! it was very foggy, when it cleared there was another ship docked right in front and we could not see it before. There was 5 ships in port that day. The weather was cloudy and felt a bit cool, we wore our rain jackets for the first time but it only drizzled for 5 mins. This town is all cobbles so appropriate footwear is a must!

We walked around the old and new parts. I would say this was my least favourite port, the weather maybe played a part though. The square has free Wi-Fi.

July 1st- Sea day

July 2nd- Copenhagen

straightforward walk along the port, 10mins till little mermaid statue, then follow the coastline to the center. I would say another 25 mins. We were docked till midnight,so we returned to the ship about 4 ish for a rest and went back out at 6pm to Tivolli. ( which was a big disappointment, very small and not worth the cost, an annual card is not much more than 1 visit)

July 3rd/4th sea days

July 5th- disembarked at 07.15 ( slight delay due to a fire alarm in the treminal building which caused a big queue and some aggitated people), walked off with own luggage, taxi to airport, flight at 09.00.

Shuttle buses at ports- These were provided (charged) but unless you have mobility issues may not be required for most places. We are late 40's early 50's and in good health.

Shuttle bus -

Bruges- $16/ 12e ONLY TO BLANKENBERGE TRAIN STATION.

Stockholm- hop on bus provided by Celebrity $39

Helsinki- $12/10e

Tallin-$10

Copenhagen-$18

Feel free to ask questions, happy to assist.

First a great review on same trip 19th July

When in Copenhagen can you remember which Dock you were berthed at? We are scheduled to be at C330 (new dock) which seems to have problems with transport and traffic delays

Many thanks Bob

Great review - really helpful thank you as we are also on the 19th July sailing and doing a tour with Alla. Counting down now - only six sleeps left! Your info about Bruges was really helpful as it clearly is going to be tight for time getting back to the ship - what time would you say you need to leave Bruges at to make sure you get back to the ship on time?

Bob - can I ask you how you get the info about which pier we are docked at? I had planned for Langelinnie - we have bought Copenhagen cards, but will have to rethink how to get to the city centre now.

Great review - really helpful thank you as we are also on the 19th July sailing and doing a tour with Alla. Counting down now - only six sleeps left! Your info about Bruges was really helpful as it clearly is going to be tight for time getting back to the ship - what time would you say you need to leave Bruges at to make sure you get back to the ship on time?

Bob - can I ask you how you get the info about which pier we are docked at? I had planned for Langelinnie - we have bought Copenhagen cards, but will have to rethink how to get to the city centre now.

That day (Sunday) we got the 12.36 from Bruges, just to be safe, we knew we could get the 13.36 if there was any problems, and always get a taxi from Blankenberg if we were short on time. Bruges really is a flying visit, but it is small.

We were on Celebrity Eclipse visiting St Petersburg in Mid June. We were waiting on deck 3 in a line @0630 that had formed waiting for the ship to clear Immigration. Quite a line had formed by 0700! We were one of the first off the ship for our private excursion with SPB Tours. After passing through Immigration we looked back and the lines were quite long. Our guide who was meeting us @ 0830 was there by 0800 . We were off and away while a lot of the other groups were waiting. Thanks to all we had read on CC we knew lines would be forming early! :D