What would you have done?

tampabaytom

Yep. It's not actually offensive, but they see it and don't understand it and think they're supposed to be offended, and so they are.

excellent point.

I would much rather them vape all over the ship than to smoke under my balcony.

I can deal with the smell of smoke because I am used to it, but Vape has no smell. Let them vape wherever. I say.

Is it against the rules? Specifically listed in the contract I believe. Of course you are going to hear from all the vapors who want to break the rules.

If you vape and don't like the CCL rules...find another line.

May 29, 2012, I smoked my last regular cigarette after 20+ years. On May 30th, I started e-cigs WITH nicotine. By October of that year, I was down to the smallest amount of nicotine. In the spring of 2013, I used my e-cigs with NO NICOTINE. By December, I stopped the e-cigs altogether. I was able to vape in a car and in my inside cabins --- my non-smoking friends/spouse couldn't tell if I was vaping or not. I can't imagine anything in the vapor containing any more pollution than that which is emitted by the ship itself. I think some people just like to b*tch. About everything. I can't imagine it being a problem on a balcony, especially the e-cigs. I know I could not have stopped smoking without them.

This. IMHO a normal well adjusted person shouldn't feel a need to "correct" someone else's behavior that isn't directly impacting them in a meaninful manner.

If there's truly nothing but water vapor in vaping "smoke" then there'd be no point in vaping.

Clearly there's at least nicotine else it wouldn't be appealing to smokers as either a substitute for tobacco or a bridge to quitting. Nobody's going to believe that 100% of the inhaled nicotine is absorbed.

Is 2nd hand vaping "smoke" as bad as 2nd hand tobacco smoke? I'm sure it isn't, but it's also not "just water vapor" either as you suggest.

The reason for any policies is far more likely due to public perception than any concrete info.

To the OP, if you saw someone breathing on the ship, you should have stared them down, because when we breathe we produce vapor...:rolleyes:

I WILL ARGUE THIS POINT "Clearly there's at least nicotine else it wouldn't be appealing to smokers as either a substitute for tobacco or a bridge to quitting....I truly have 0 nicotine in my vapor cigarette and have slowly stepped down from cigarettes to having the 0 nicotine....you may ask why I even use it then? Because I like the relaxation of the motion of smoking and I am not bothering anyone, because my vapor liquid is nothing but water vapor that smells like Skittles candy, because that is the flavor I like.

I didn't know what vaping was... So I just learned something... With all the Brits and others... I never know what these new words mean!! John Heald comes up with some good ones, that make me laugh!!!

Now that I know... I wouldn't have done anything. It's not true it's only water vapor. Additives are there too, whether legal or illegal, harmful or not harmful... it's usually more than just water... but, if I wasn't sitting next to them, or I wasn't smelling anything, and they were just acting normal, not weird or show-off-y or anything... I'd do NOTHING!!!

Hope it didn't ruin your cruise or anything!! We all have our quirks, habits, and differences!!

I am a latter day hippie, but am still to this day, now that I am in my late 50's, really naive. I think I might have taken a second look, but would not have given it much more thought than that, and would just move on. If in fact they were doing something that was very bad or wrong/against the rules, then it would be up to Carnival security to proceed. JMO

It's not smoke is it? I thought it was steam (water vapor)?

I know next to nothing about it.

Can someone clarify?

From where I was in the barn it looked like smoke.

E-cigs give off a concentrated steam or vapor. I've seen people blow rings vaping. From a distance it looks like smoke. Very scary in a place that's highly combustible.

Many of the liquids used in e-cigs do not smell like tobacco. Bubblegum, mint, vanilla etc.

Had no idea that there are now non vapor producing ones available.

Edited by SadieN

To the OP, if you saw someone breathing on the ship, you should have stared them down, because when we breathe we produce vapor...:rolleyes:

I WILL ARGUE THIS POINT "Clearly there's at least nicotine else it wouldn't be appealing to smokers as either a substitute for tobacco or a bridge to quitting....I truly have 0 nicotine in my vapor cigarette and have slowly stepped down from cigarettes to having the 0 nicotine....you may ask why I even use it then? Because I like the relaxation of the motion of smoking and I am not bothering anyone, because my vapor liquid is nothing but water vapor that smells like Skittles candy, because that is the flavor I like.

Just one note, if the vapor has a flavor, it is not just water. If the vapor is totally safe or not depends upon what is used to create the flavor and liquid. Most have a glycerine component as a base (not just water). Unfortunately the liquids come from a variety of sources and the chemical components vary. Very few have been tested for safety. It also depends upon the e-cig device itself. Some of the cheaper ones have been found to emit heavy metals in the vapor (led solder on the connections to the heating elements, etc.)

in logical terms no nicotine is a necessary condition to have a minimal impact on those around you, but is not by itself a sufficient condition to indicate complete safety.

I would have done nothing, if I would have said anything it would be to congratulate them on their steps to stop smoking. A good friend of mine had e cigs for a year then quit altogether...anything that helps health of a former smoker should not be 'stared down'.

On the e-cig water vapour/chemicals issue...

The vapor produced is no more harmful then various other chemicals and substances that float around around our breathing space in every day life. Remember how often we are told that this and that is a toxin or a carcinogenic yet most of these things are not banned in public spaces. The absence of odour is something that should be noted in how much more healthy it is than a cigarette. I have read the various reports on that e-cigs have this and that and are dangerous....who do you think possibly funded some of the supposed research into this? You guessed it....the billion dollar tobacco companies. Medical research can be funded by the biggest fat cats around with ulterior motives so do not believe all that you read. As for the brands of US e-cigs I cannot comment but I do know the larger brand ones sold over here have gone through rigorous testing.

It is this fact that means you can smoke them anywhere in the UK and various other places around the world. They have been banned in certain places (such as airlines) due to perception and not health I believe. Folk are worried that it may be real smoke or smokers will light up thinking its ok.

Edited by Velvetwater

The vape cloud is the same stuff coming out of the fog machine at the ovation theater. Propoline glycol (sp).

Sent from my SM-N900P using Forums mobile app

Exactly. The liquid in an ecig has up to four ingredients. Propylene Glycol (PG) which is considered safe by the FDA and used in many medicines, probably your vitamins as well as a ton of cosmetics (absorbed through your skin). Vegetable glycerin (VG) is naturally sweet and is used most likely in your toothpaste, many FOOD products as well as those fog machines in the theater.

Then there is water and flavorings. Anyone want to dispute those? And lastly nicotine, chosen at various levels by the vaper and if used to quit smoking, is hopefully reduced to zero on a step-down basis. if present, the nicotine is absorbed in the mouth and nasal passages (mostly) and the amount expelled into the air is extremely minimal at best. There is no odor, no fire, no mess, no other chemicals.

Ecigs have a HUGELY successful rate in smoking cessation and for the smoker, they are a thousand chemicals better for them as well as the people around them. So throw all the science out there you want, but ecigs, although not known if they are 100% safe for the inhaler, are not hurting someone 50 yards away.

In the OP's case, I would have congratulated the person vaping in the theater. Rules or not, it's not my place to enforce rules that are, consequently, unsubstantiated to begin with.

Edited by LRene
typo

I am a ecig smoker. Have been for 5 years. Longer than most. I do not know if there is 2nd hand smoke involved. I do not know (or does anyone here) for sure that there is NO second hand nicotine inhaling. So I try not to smoke around d my kids.

Just because you read online they are safe does. It make it so.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Forums mobile app

On the breeze last week I saw 2 people vaping in the ovation theater I didn't do anything but stare them down , what would you have done and whom should I have told ?

I would have left the area and asked a Carnival representative to address it.

http://no-smoke.org/pdf/ecigarette-secondhand-aerosol.pdf

The secondhand exposure to nicotine and the other chemicals in e-cigarettes IS harmful to the user and those around him or her. These passengers were being inconsiderate.

This. IMHO a normal well adjusted person shouldn't feel a need to "correct" someone else's behavior that isn't directly impacting them in a meaninful manner.

If there's truly nothing but water vapor in vaping "smoke" then there'd be no point in vaping.

Clearly there's at least nicotine else it wouldn't be appealing to smokers as either a substitute for tobacco or a bridge to quitting. Nobody's going to believe that 100% of the inhaled nicotine is absorbed.

Is 2nd hand vaping "smoke" as bad as 2nd hand tobacco smoke? I'm sure it isn't, but it's also not "just water vapor" either as you suggest.

The reason for any policies is far more likely due to public perception than any concrete info.

I'm quickly getting down to 0 nicotine in the juice I use. I still have the old hand to mouth thing working so I'm happy. I also enjoy the flavor of the juice. So, it is just vapor with vegetable glycerine, the flavoring and water (which produces the vapor).

I wouldn't think of vaping in a crowded venue but have no problem doing it in my cabin or up on deck (and not in the smoking area).

I confess I don't understand the OP's attitude. I would think if someone is on a cruise ship they would be having too much fun to worry about what someone else is doing. I guess I'm mistaken.

Vaping is against the rules. Currently carnival considers them the same as cigarettes.

However the chemical (no there is no water except traces in the chemical) is considered as "generally safe for human consumption"

It is used to create the vapor, and also in many food items. The op does not understand vaping, and or feels it is a threat. Just like the first Americans to induans, the OP wants to eradicate it because they are uninformed.

Actually its does still negatively impact their health and those around them. While not as bad as cigarette smoke, it is still far from healthy. Studies show that the vapor increase small particulates in even a well ventilated room. small particulates are very much tied to lung cancer.

The vapor also contain various levels of nicotine (a whole range of negative impact pacts there), heavy metals from the heating elements, and other compounds, depending upon the liquid used.

On the plus side they are considered "healthy" when compared to actual cigarettes, but on the negative side they release particulates and toxic materials that impact others around them when used inside.

Sounds like you're describing some of the crap out of China. Unfortunately, there are particulates around us all the time...if you have a fear of that I would recommend living in a bubble. Nicotine isn't what kills smokers but all the ingredients and chemicals found in the smoke.

I'm quickly getting down to 0 nicotine in the juice I use. I still have the old hand to mouth thing working so I'm happy. I also enjoy the flavor of the juice. So, it is just vapor with vegetable glycerine, the flavoring and water (which produces the vapor).

I wouldn't think of vaping in a crowded venue but have no problem doing it in my cabin or up on deck (and not in the smoking area).

I confess I don't understand the OP's attitude. I would think if someone is on a cruise ship they would be having too much fun to worry about what someone else is doing. I guess I'm mistaken.

LOL just ask those who complain about what people wear to dinner.

If I observed someone vaping I feel certain I would burst into tears and run to my room. Or maybe not.

Lmao!

Carnival Pride 7 day Mexican Riviera: September 2008

Carnival Inspiration 4 day Mexican Riviera: September 2013

Carnival Miracle 15 day Hawaii: coming October 2015

I think the biggest issue is that there is a general lack of independent research into e-cigs. Most of the research to date has been funded by either the manufacturers or opponents. They used to say that research showed that cigarettes were perfectly safe.

I think until further reputable independent research has been carried out (there are currently 245 independent research projects being conducted) it pays to be cautious.

I also do not think that e-cig users should be put with the cigarette/cigar smokers. That is just silly. But defined areas for the use for e-cigs should be enforced until the research is clear either way. I am sure that e-cig users would feel pretty bad if further research finds that it is harmful to others. So we should just air on the side of caution for now because we can.

I would have reported it to the Port Authorities at the next port of call. It is an assault and should be actionable.

My wife and I have had to leave the Theater on Carnival many times because of the vapor that pours out during their production shows. I suppose it is to simulate a cabaret atmosphere, but it is offensive and unhealthy.

I have written to Carnival many times about this, but all I get as a reply is some variation of the "we always strive to make your cruise more pleasurable" letter. They are the biggest violators of the no vaping policy, and I am sure that this is part of the reason for the Love and Marriage and Hasbro shows. I think Carnival realizes that their fake smoke is endangering passengers.

I would have reported it to the Port Authorities at the next port of call. It is an assault and should be actionable.

My wife and I have had to leave the Theater on Carnival many times because of the vapor that pours out during their production shows. I suppose it is to simulate a cabaret atmosphere, but it is offensive and unhealthy.

I have written to Carnival many times about this, but all I get as a reply is some variation of the "we always strive to make your cruise more pleasurable" letter. They are the biggest violators of the no vaping policy, and I am sure that this is part of the reason for the Love and Marriage and Hasbro shows. I think Carnival realizes that their fake smoke is endangering passengers.

Wow.... Assault? Really?