How many Suitcases ? 1 or 2 ?

CalifGirl67

We each take one medium size and one carry on. Easier to handle .

Also, do some cross over packing. You put a swimsuit and one casual outfit and some of your necessary medicines and toiletries in his bag and he puts some of his in yours. Then if one suitcase gets lost ( .000001% chance) you'll still have a few clothes.

Also, make sure you have copies of your passports and credit cards with each other. But NOT in luggage. But in the luggage put a large paper with your emergency contact information. We split up credit cards.

We take 2 rolling duffles and 1 rolling garment bag.

They all fit under the bed. Sometimes the cabin steward will store something

under the bed and you have to lift the bed to see what is under it. I always take too much, but a girl has to have options.

I know what you mean about having options, I always take more than I wear because I may change my mind the last minute.

• 2 weeks later...
I take one big one, a smaller one (carry on) that will fit inside the big one, and a day pack. Of course leave space and under 50 lbs for things you might want to bring back. Two large suitcases will fit under the bed and be out of the way. That's why you want to make sure your carry on will fit in your big one. Have fun!

Three large suitcases have no problem fitting under the bed. We also put the two carry ons in the large suitcases. We would rather take extra clothes and have choice each day. No worry about luggage weight. If we do not fly southwest or jet blue, we would rather pay a few dollars extra.

I take one 26" suitcase plus a small carry on for all my trips longer than seven days . I spent four weeks in Europe with one bag & three weeks in Polynesia one bag . If I need to I send laundry out & wash undies in the sink . My best tip is sundresses are so versatile . Add jewelry & they are fine for dinner . Add a straw hat & they are perfect for touring . Plus invest in some travel clothes . I have JJill wearever & they pack & never wrinkle .Even years ago when I used to pack a different dress for every night of a cruise I never packed more than one bag . My husband is also a one bag guy .

Ok so I have started packing for our cruise and hubby said to only take 1 large one and a small pull one for meds/small items to take on plane. Well suit case is almost full with all hubby's stuff and only a few of my things :eek: Don't want to worry about being over 50 pounds on weight....... So should I just go with 2 rather then 1 suit case. How do you all pack for a cruise?

We take one suitcase each, usually weighing in between 10 and 12kg (flight allowance 20kg). I have found that to be completely ample for one week.

For 7 days, we pack one carry-on sized roller bag and a gym/beach bag each. We're 'full sized' people but look for ways to save space.

DH no longer takes a suit/jacket for formal night -- he wears a nice dress shirt and tie with khakis and docksiders. Lightweight polo style shirts and khaki shorts are his uniform all week.

I pack a simple skirt and several rayon/poly tops for dinner, with more light-weight tops and shorts for daytime. I have a couple of lightweight cardigans/shrugs that dress up a sleeveless top at dinner, and can be layered under a windbreaker for chilly evenings on deck.

We do not pack jeans, sweatshirts, bulky jackets, etc. I do bring woolite for hand-washing in the sink (it suds less and rinses more easily than regular detergent).

Somehow from the first post I got the idea that the hubby wanted to bring a total of one suitcase between the two of you plus your carry ons.

If each of you are taking your own suitcase, that's something different. You may want to suggest a little cross packing (he puts a few pieces of clothing in yours but he needs to leave room for you to put a few of yours in his.

My hubby would tend to be controlling about pieces of luggage. When we took our daughter on her first cruise (at 23 months of age), which was a three day cruise with a land stay afterwards, he looked askance at what I was bringing, which included a diaper bag backpack. I don't think he had a clue about how much stuff I needed to take for our girl as he just packed his own stuff. Men! And we were just going to stow everything in our car to drive to the port, and then drive down to San Diego. No flights.

Some cruises later, we were going to take the train up the west coast to Seattle for a cruise (and a few days in Seattle). There was a limit on pieces to check in and carry on. A day before, I had a meltdown in front of him about not being able to fit the girl's and my stuff in my suitcase. He finally realized I was not a happy camper and he took out a little miniature suitcase (the first time I've ever seen that) that he let me use as a carry on. It was the type that expanded a lot so it helped a lot. Of course when we got to the Amtrak desk, the clerk picked up my suitcase and said it was too heavy (50 pound limit). I was know facing having to do a quick rearranging stuff and finding a place (purse, carryon) to place more stuff. But hubby asked for the clerk to actually weigh it and it was just under the 50 pounds limit by a few ounces. whew!

My hubby knows to not go there again with just having a few items of luggage, especially as our last three cruises were two week ones.

I normally take a medicine bag on the ship and check a larger suitcase with my clothes in it. Then when I debark I combine the bags so it's more manageable for me.

Plus invest in some travel clothes . I have JJill wearever & they pack & never wrinkle .Even years ago when I used to pack a different dress for every night of a cruise I never packed more than one bag .

I invested in the travel clothes a few years back - they are heavy but comfortable. This time I think that I am doing the sundresses and dressing them up at night. They are lighter and I am flying in. Thinking I can take 4 light weight rayon dresses and they will weight less than 1 JJill travel top and pants.

We have an upcoming 7 week trip to Europe and a 13 week winter trip scheduled for late Dec. Both will include one cruise, possibly more if we get any last minute offers. It will be carry on for us.

It is so very liberating to be able to easily handle our bags and not depend on checking luggage-with all the vagaries that go along with that. DW is trying to determine how to make this happen again. Since our last trip with carry on only she has become an ardent fan of 'less is more'.

I'm the OP and we ended up taking 2 large suit cases, 1 for each of us and one carry on for meds,tablets,chargers etc and we didn't have any issues. The only issue was when we got off the ship rolling all 3 of them but we managed :)

Glad to hear everything worked out for you. I remember when disembarking, esp if you are trying to catch a flight, you have to have one hand free to hold onto the railing of the escalator, otherwise they make you use the elevator and you would lose a few precious minutes that way.

Ok so I have started packing for our cruise and hubby said to only take 1 large one and a small pull one for meds/small items to take on plane. Well suit case is almost full with all hubby's stuff and only a few of my things :eek: Don't want to worry about being over 50 pounds on weight....... So should I just go with 2 rather then 1 suit case. How do you all pack for a cruise?

Wife & I bring 1 each and two carry-on's.

I'm the OP and we ended up taking 2 large suit cases, 1 for each of us and one carry on for meds,tablets,chargers etc and we didn't have any issues. The only issue was when we got off the ship rolling all 3 of them but we managed :)

Because the wheels on the newer suitcases go in multiple directions, we have no problem with a large piece and carry on each. In addition, we might take the extra suit/dress bag. We check in curbside, so this isn't really an issue. In addition, you can now have your luggage transferred to the airport so you do not have to carry it in a cab/car from the cruise. Have used this service twice without any problems.

One carry on each (22") and one personal, squishable bag at fits under the seats. It holds the valuables - meds, electronics, etc.

We did a two week river cruise with travel of one week at each end of the trip.

We usually travel with this same luggage everywhere we go.

On our last cruise, we checked a medium size bag with his suits and my formal clothes. It was more than half empty.

Sent from my iPad using Forums