Coral Princess Alaska Cruisetour Review: 100 Photos + 19 Videos!

Spaniel Lover

Fantastic review!! Pictures were wonderful and narrative enjoyable with a lot of facts and tips! We board the Coral on Aug 9th so the photos of the ship make us more excited and ready for our 14 days!! Thanks for posting.

Jim-a great read and an obvious labor of love.

The Coral (Whittier to Vancouver) was my first Princess Experience and it was nice to see her lovingly photographed. All the effort and thought you put into the photos and videos really pays off and enriches the narrative in your warm conversational style.

I read your review in one sitting even though I was on my way somewhere.

A page turner!

Thanks again!

Norris, yet to experiment with RAW on a Rebel T3i

Thank you from a fellow Central Coaster (SLO) for an incredible review. We are doing the Cruise Tour in September starting off in Fairbanks with the land tour and doing the cruise in reverse, but there is so much valuable information that we can use from your review.

I have been concerened about the mess at SFO since we heard about it, but we have been assured it shouldn't affect our plans (I wouldn't bet on it though). United has already messed with our flights twice, so there is a pretty good chance they will mess with them some more before we leave. Was your flight from SLO in the morning or afternoon, and how long was it delayed?

I have been concerned about the mess at SFO since we heard about it' date=' but we have been assured it shouldn't affect our plans (I wouldn't bet on it though). United has already messed with our flights twice, so there is a pretty good chance they will mess with them some more before we leave. Was your flight from SLO in the morning or afternoon, and how long was it delayed?[/quote']

We had a 10:36 AM scheduled departure time out of SLO, and our actual take-off was at 11:33. (I looked at the time stamp on the video I shot of our takeoff.) I think there was a fog problem in addition to the construction problem that day.

A quick Google search tells me that the construction at SFO should be completed in late August. So, I think you do not need to worry about it.

I see your brother enjoying a cold one on the train. Did they offer some of the locally brewed beers?

I'm not a beer guy, so I didn't pay any attention to what was available. But I sent your question to my brother, and here is what he had to say:

Yes. Local brews were generally available, at least the bigger operations. There seemed to be a craft brewery in every mid-sized town but I did not sample them all. I really enjoyed Alaskan Brewing Co. Summer Ale from Juneau and a pale ale from Denali Brewery in Talkeetna. Our sister Sally enjoyed the darker ambers.

I think he was answering a different question than you asked, though! I think you wanted to know what was available on the train... and I think he was saying what was available in the various cities we visited.

I checked back with my brother for a clarification, since it seemed like he misunderstood the question slightly. Here is his response:

I was answering generally. I know the Alaskan Summer Ale and the Amber Sally liked were available on the train. I think other local beers were also, including I think Denali selections. In any case, I had local beer on the trains.

Thank you for this amazing review - I can only imagine how much time and effort you put into it - but it is so appreciated. The photos are wonderful and the videos show so much more than we've previously seen. DH joked that after viewing them we now don't have to go and can save ourselves the $10,000. :rolleyes:

We are doing the southbound route on the Coral in June 2015 - our cabin is E736 the last cabin next to the aft deck. I hadn't realized about the sun being in the South - I guess we'll be in the shade the whole time...we'll have to bundle up or head to the forward viewing decks for some sunshine!

Many thanks for a great review Jim. We are on the identical trip on Coral Princess in just 5 weeks time and your words & pictures have just heightened my anticipation even more!

We too have some reasonably complex air routings as we're coming from the UK, so hoping we don't have the issues you had on your journey.

(Mind you one advantage of flying to Alaska is that the cheapest option was via Icelandair so we do get to tack a couple of days in Reykjavik to the start of the holiday)

I just hope my photos are half as good as yours...

Edited by TonyLon
pressed send before complete!

I checked back with my brother for a clarification, since it seemed like he misunderstood the question slightly. Here is his response:

Thank you for the follow up; I was interested in what the train had to offer but nice to know what others to try throughout the trip.

I just had to add my thanks for such a fantastic review, complete with beautiful photos and videos! It was a pleasure to read and brought back many wonderful memories from our Princess cruise tour a few years ago!

What a wonderful reference tool for others as well as keepsake for you of your family trip! I've shared it with a few friends who are considering this journey! We also appreciated your photography tips, especially the app and clamp for the time delay videos! Totally fantastic!!!

:)

Elaine

Could you tell me where you found the clamp that held your phone for the time lapse videos?

It's actually two products connected together. Both are available from Amazon.com

The first product is the part that grabs your phone, and allows you to mount it on any standard tripod... or anything with a standard tripod-type screw. Click here for that item.

The second item is the clamp thingie that you can attach to the railing of a cruise ship, or to just about anything that is the right size. I've clamped it to the metal overhang on a cruise ship balcony, and also on to the balcony door. It has a standard tripod screw on it. This allows you to screw together the two items, and use them as one. Click here for the second item.

Your pictures are fabulous, letting me relive the Alaskan cruise we also did four years on the Diamond Princess. I know now that after only having time to view some of you Pics and videos I do want to again visit Alaska. We never wanted to do an Alaskan cruise but truly it's been one of our favortes.

We love the Coral Princess,( our favorite Princess ship) in fact we were just on her in April-May doing the 15 day Panama Cruise, another of our favortie cruises.

It's actually two products connected together. Both are available from Amazon.com

The first product is the part that grabs your phone, and allows you to mount it on any standard tripod... or anything with a standard tripod-type screw. Click here for that item.

The second item is the clamp thingie that you can attach to the railing of a cruise ship, or to just about anything that is the right size. I've clamped it to the metal overhang on a cruise ship balcony, and also on to the balcony door. It has a standard tripod screw on it. This allows you to screw together the two items, and use them as one. Click here for the second item.

Thanks so much for the links! I'm going to order these and look forward to using them! We really appreciate all of your details!

:)

Elaine

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really appreciated your review. We are taking the Coral this winter and can't wait. Just a quick question though. How were the beds especially in the full suite? I have read so many places where the beds are not very comfortable so would appreciate your thoughts. Bob from TX