Whats the deal with airfare to FLL?

goldgirl2

OP here. I started this thread because I saw my airfare go up $100 overnight. I thought that was a big jump all of a sudden. I was initially curious to find out if anyone else had experienced this jump in airfare. Inflationary is usually a gradual increase over time. Not sudden increase of $100. I have been a business owner for 25 years. We have not raised our prices in about 5 years. We have to keep our prices competitive to continue to stay in business. We still make a profit. I always say I would rather get the work with a small cut in pay then not get the job and have no pay.

But is your business an airline?

Margins in the airline business are razor thin, and they have individuals whose only job is to monitor and manage fares to try and maximize every dollar they can. Load factors are so high because they're managed so well. Just because you've balked at a modest $100 fare "increase" doesn't mean everyone else has and as long as the airline doesn't run out of people to balk then they're happy.

Actually, its gone well beyond having people who's job it is to monitor and manage those fares. The airline industry has developed and evolved yield management computer systems to the point where they watch all inputs minute by minute - load factor on their flights, load factors on competitors flights, internet pricing inquiries, weather forecasts and many other things - and are capable of adjusting pricing up or down instantly at any time based on all those inputs coupled with sophisticated (and proprietary) algorithms which look at all the data.

Actually, its gone well beyond having people who's job it is to monitor and manage those fares. The airline industry has developed and evolved yield management computer systems to the point where they watch all inputs minute by minute - load factor on their flights, load factors on competitors flights, internet pricing inquiries, weather forecasts and many other things - and are capable of adjusting pricing up or down instantly at any time based on all those inputs coupled with sophisticated (and proprietary) algorithms which look at all the data.

So, those of you out there who have over 1000 friends on FB, post on your timeline imploring them to spend 5 minutes doing airline searches for cities other than where you would like to fly, have them post the same request on their timelines thereby exponentially increasing the search data, then wait for the price of your flight to drop ;)

I have tried every combo of every airline in a 100 mile radius on both ends. Nothing less then $305.00. I might just have to suck it up and pay the money. The $305 flight are the least desirable times

That one sentence pretty much summarizes the laws of supply and demand. Least desirable times = less demand = lower price

Highly desirable times = higher demand = higher price

Really... wages/fuel/parts prices/insurance costs... absolutely nothing has gone up in price over the past few years - so why on earth are the airlines charging us more ?????? Just can't get my head around these absurd prices!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Because they are tired of losing money and going bankrupt as a result of not charging enough to cover their costs???? ;)

• 2 weeks later...
This will be my last response in this thread. To my very first post I was treated to someone "rewording" my post for me as if I didn't know what I was saying initially, instead of simply offering a response. The very next response was a very condescending one, finished off with eye rolls. Yeah that's real nice. To the couple of posters who simply posted responses without all the aforementioned rudeness, I thanked them. Yes, I find a $260 one way flight to FLL absurd. I've never paid this type of fare before and it was a shock. The OP apparently was surprised over rising FLL prices as well, which is why they started the thread. I get it. All of you don't agree. Fine. I'm done with it as with this entire forum.

FYI, This is a MESSAGE BOARD. It's meant to DISCUSS various topics. If you're so smart and experienced that this type of forum bores or frustrates you, simply don't respond!

My co cruisers are flying from Detroit to San Juan RT for $288.98 on Spirit Air..for a Feb cruise.... While my husband and I have the unfortunate luck to retire to Knoxville Tennessee next month from Detroit, where we would have gotten that great price only to find we have to pay $1004 for 2 RT tickets while the Detroiters are paying $578.00 for 2.RT tickets.....big difference..we are losing our hub....it's kind of sickening....

I looked at spirit airlines for my flight in February. It was $280 plus $35 for a carry on bag plus $30 for a checked bag. And if I picked a seat that ranged from $15- $30. all of the extra charges were EACH way. Not such a great rate after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by goldgirl2

I looked at spirit airlines for my flight in February. It was $280 plus $35 for a carry on bag plus $30 for a checked bag. And if I picked a seat that ranged from $15- $30. all of the extra charges were EACH way. Not such a great rate after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh yeah...forgot about all that extra garbage....you're right!!!

This will be my last response in this thread. To my very first post I was treated to someone "rewording" my post for me as if I didn't know what I was saying initially, instead of simply offering a response. The very next response was a very condescending one, finished off with eye rolls. Yeah that's real nice. To the couple of posters who simply posted responses without all the aforementioned rudeness, I thanked them. Yes, I find a $260 one way flight to FLL absurd. I've never paid this type of fare before and it was a shock. The OP apparently was surprised over rising FLL prices as well, which is why they started the thread. I get it. All of you don't agree. Fine. I'm done with it as with this entire forum.

FYI, This is a MESSAGE BOARD. It's meant to DISCUSS various topics. If you're so smart and experienced that this type of forum bores or frustrates you, simply don't respond!

As I say to all posters who choose to leave a message board, because of a few posters who may not have been very nice -- reconsider.

Back to the topic.....most ticket prices over the years have gone up gradually, but the business world dramatically changed only a few years ago. I hate now that I have to spend a ridiculous amount sometimes when I need to fly to the NE, but if I must be there when I need to and that is the cost of the flight, I don't have a lot of choices. Competitive pricing balance doesn't seem to exist much in airfare, with less and less flights (especially direct ones), and plenty of demand.

If I have the luxury of flexibility, perhaps I can find a better flight price for what I need....and yes, sometimes prices change dramatically over night. Airlines know that if one person doesn't book a ticket, probably someone else will. It may not be the same for the business owner in a different business that has not raised his price in over 5 years. My answer is 'perhaps he should have raised his prices and learned how to better justify his increase in pricing to separate himself from his competition in more areas than price' -- but that is my opinion and purely that.

Just like with cruise prices, sometimes they rise overnight.

Flights are crazy expensive. I'm praying I will find a cheap flight for December from BNA

Another perspective...flights were crazy cheap. So cheap and unprofitable that airlines who stuck with those fares went belly-up. Friendly suggestion is to get a realistic sense of fares....keeping in mind December, especially to warm climates, especially around the holidays...will carry a premium and the lowest fares are probably sold out already. If you hope and pray for the return of "once in a lifetime" low fares a few years ago, it will lead to more hopes and prayers while the least expensive fares sell out. Not trying to be Gloomy Gus or snarky, trying to inject some reality so your airfare doesn't become more expensive or even unaffordable. Let us know travel dates and destination and you will get a lot of good suggestions.

Edited by kenish