Whats the deal with airfare to FLL?

goldgirl2

For the past few years, I haven't found anything less than $500 to Florida from our airport. I was forced for our upcoming Alaska cruise to drive the 3 hours to Kansas City, which I haven't done for several years. To fly from Springfield, MO to Anchorage one way was $980 per person! From Kansas City, it was $280! And both were connecting onto the same flight in DFW.

I have had really good luck with Kayak price alerts. Our Allure cruise in January, I was able to jump on a price that was $480 per person out of Springfield vs. the ~$600 it had been...and it went back up 2 days after I booked.

I feel so bad. My airfair in Feb 2015 from Pasco WA to Sydney Australia is only $3,200 chep seats and my 14 day cruise is only $2,900 for a balcony. I booked my airfair way back in March and it is about $500.00 more now. That is why I am taking a 14 day cruise as I would not pay that kind of airfair for a 7 day cruise. Also spending 2 days in Sydney before the cruise.

I am kicking myself for not get my plane tickets when I booked my cruise! The tickets from DYW to FLL were $240.00. Now they are $380! What is going on with the price of airline tickets? I have never seen them so high! I may rethink going on this cruise.:mad:

Airlines have learned to not expand capacity whenever possible thus creating more demand equaling higher prices for the same seat. Secondly, IMHO, there is not an appetite for expansion by airlines, thus they are not expanding and part of this per my understanding are available gates needed to expand.

As others have posted... using free airmiles that comes with sign up bonuses for credit cards is the way I have been flying for the last 10 years.

Booking early, tracking flight costs and driving to cheaper nearby airports are your best bet without free airfare.

Check flyertalk for all the tips of flying for free ( well almost- you have to pay taxes):D

I'm so sorry that was a typo! It is out of Detroit, meant to type DTW! We fly to Florida 2-3 times a year and I have never seen rates this high. Last year we cruised the week before Easter and we paid $230 a ticket. Gas here has gone down about .70 cents a gallon. This makes no sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by goldgirl2

I know many people don't like Spirit out DTW but I have found they have the best prices and usually flight times.

Even with the luggage fees they are still cheaper than everybody else. And with a 2 + hour flight I can withstand the close seating.

I'm so sorry that was a typo! It is out of Detroit, meant to type DTW! We fly to Florida 2-3 times a year and I have never seen rates this high. Last year we cruised the week before Easter and we paid $230 a ticket. Gas here has gone down about .70 cents a gallon. This makes no sense to me.

It is called supply and demand. No longer do you find flights flying less than 98% full. Airlines have condensed routes and done away with so many direct flights to places that passengers have to pay what is out there and get there with longer travel routes....it isn't directly correlated to gas prices now....although spikes in gas will always give an airline a reason to raise fares.

I fly in and out of FLL about 6 times a year as my daughter lives there. If you have been in the airport Friday/Sat/Sunday/Monday you know it is packed to the rafters. People sitting on the floors unless very late in the afternoon. So those of us not cruising know to go Tuesday Wednesday or Thursday (AM only) for the cheaper fares. My last flight out of FLL was in May on a Weds. at noon and I could not believe they were offering credits up to $400 to take another flight. It is getting worse not better. Last year at Christmas/New Year's week (My Granddaughter's birthday is Jan 4 the most expensive week of planes in FLL) and it was $500 per person. Take or leave. Flying to a SA cruise in late Jan (3 weeks later) the price was $69 each way pp!

When flights are full and more people are begging for tickets the price goes up. As the cruise port becomes busier so does the airport and thus seats become more expensive. Fact of life.

Do not be afraid to book Miami if price is cheaper. Easy enough to go from one airport to another and there are several ways to do this (shuttle, blue van, taxi, rental car {lots of fees on rental cars too!}. Coming early please be aware that hotel prices go up by day (weekends much more) and season -- cheaper in summer but still high on Fri - Mon.

FLL/Miami area is really popular because of weather and cruise ship customers and really popular means high prices. I wonder if my daughter is ready to move?:rolleyes:

It is called supply and demand. No longer do you find flights flying less than 98% full. Airlines have condensed routes and done away with so many direct flights to places that passengers have to pay what is out there and get there with longer travel routes....it isn't directly correlated to gas prices now....although spikes in gas will always give an airline a reason to raise fares.

I don't have any hard or firm numbers, but as an airline industry geek, it seems to me that the advent of regional jets have increased the number of nonstop (not just direct) flights. Now, it's not necessary for an airline to put a 150 seat plane on a route and having to make the decision "150 seats or no seats". They can say "hmmm, okay, I think it can go 50 seats, so we'll put a regional jet on that route instead of not having the route at all". People complain about regional jets, but would places like Topeka, KS or Missoula, MT or Williston, ND have the nonstops they have without regional jets? I doubt it.

And just remember this - every flight is a nonstop flight...just maybe not on the route you want it to be ;)

And just remember this - every flight is a nonstop flight...just maybe not on the route you want it to be ;)

Actually all flights eventually stop.

My apologies to the late George Carlin, who had the funniest assault on silly airline terms.

If searching for airfare, use the ITA matrix airfare. like what others said. while using it, have you considered nearby airports and adjust the fly-in and fly-out dates. doing that can have some difference both higher or less.

MIA is only about 40 min away from Port Everglades/FLL area, so that could be an option.

Airfare varies thought time of day/week and supply for each booking class (letters for coach/business/first etc.).

to understand booking class it is best to google as it is complicated to explain.

Edited by Gizmo88

I have tried every combo of every airline in a 100 mile radius on both ends. Nothing less then $305.00. I might just have to suck it up and pay the money. The $305 flight are the least desirable times so I'm going to end up paying $338 each. That's a first for me.

I totally agree with you! I've routinely paid under $250 for r/t airfare from EWR to FLL on Jetblue or United. Now the pricing is consistently close to or over $300. WTH?

I'll reword your response for you....

"I can't believe I've routinely paid as little as $250 for r/t airfare from EWR to FLL on Jetblue or United for as long as I have. I couldn't drive that for even double the cost or in triple the amount of time. I guess it's about time that the economy, inflation and airline consolidation started to reflect in airfares correcting themselves ever so slightly."

Done.

I totally agree with you! I've routinely paid under $250 for r/t airfare from EWR to FLL on Jetblue or United. Now the pricing is consistently close to or over $300. WTH?

Wow, talk about first world problems. Traveling 2130 miles (1065 X2) in a total of 6 hrs. (3 hrs each way) and having to pay (gasp) $300 for it. :eek: Compare that to driving this route.....two days each way. Gas , tolls, hotels, food. Yup, paying $300 to fly form the NYC area to the Miami area and leaving one and then being in the other area in about 3 hrs for only 3 bill is just outrageous :rolleyes:

I'm thinking that you mean by "routinely" - you mean several times over several years. I totally understand the "WTH " comment.

Really... wages/fuel/parts prices/insurance costs... absolutely nothing has gone up in price over the past few years - so why on earth are the airlines charging us more ?????? Just can't get my head around these absurd prices!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm thinking that you mean by "routinely" - you mean several times over several years. I totally understand the "WTH " comment.

Really... wages/fuel/parts prices/insurance costs... absolutely nothing has gone up in price over the past few years - so why on earth are the airlines charging us more ?????? Just can't get my head around these absurd prices!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes, at least 2 or 3 flights per year over the last several years. Never paid $300 for a r/t flight, certainly not on JB. Now, the pricing for next flights are $313. To me, that's absurd. I know it may not sound bad to some others here, but this is not what I'm used to paying. When I make plans I don't budget any more than $250 for flights to Florida.

Edited by yj2cute

Wow, talk about first world problems. Traveling 2130 miles (1065 X2) in a total of 6 hrs. (3 hrs each way) and having to pay (gasp) $300 for it. :eek: Compare that to driving this route.....two days each way. Gas , tolls, hotels, food. Yup, paying $300 to fly form the NYC area to the Miami area and leaving one and then being in the other area in about 3 hrs for only 3 bill is just outrageous :rolleyes:

Your sarcasm is noted and not appreciated. You can roll your eyes all you want. See, I can do it too. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Yes, it's a first world problem. This entire forum is about first world problems. I saw the thread and realized that someone else was experiencing the same thing I was. Whether the price I've been paying was too low or not, it's what I've been paying, and a sudden jump is definitely something I'm not used to.

Edited by yj2cute

Yes, at least 2 or 3 flights per year over the last several years. Never paid $300 for a r/t flight, certainly not on JB. Now, the pricing for next flights are $313. To me, that's absurd. I know it may not sound bad to some others here, but this is not what I'm used to paying. When I make plans I don't budget any more than $250 for flights to Florida.

Well, I guess you will have to increase your budget for flights to Florida, just like you have had to increase your food budget over the past few years....milk is no longer $2.29 per gallon, it is $3.99 per gallon if not more sometimes.

No one like rising prices but it surely is a fact of life.

Well, I guess you will have to increase your budget for flights to Florida, just like you have had to increase your food budget over the past few years....milk is no longer $2.29 per gallon, it is $3.99 per gallon if not more sometimes.

No one like rising prices but it surely is a fact of life.

We were invited to a wedding in the FLL area in Oct. I priced tickets from Friday to Sunday. The cheapest departing flight is $155 and that gets us in at 9:30 at night. Taking ideal flights it will cost us $340.00. That's like $100 more than my average. And the better return flight, leaving at 2 in the afternoon is $260 one way! Sorry, but that's crazy. Is there something special going on in the FLL area Oct 10-12?

We were invited to a wedding in the FLL area in Oct. I priced tickets from Friday to Sunday. The cheapest departing flight is $155 and that gets us in at 9:30 at night. Taking ideal flights it will cost us $340.00. That's like $100 more than my average. And the better return flight, leaving at 2 in the afternoon is $260 one way! Sorry, but that's crazy. Is there something special going on in the FLL area Oct 10-12?

You might be running in to Fall Break that many universities have. It's generally around that time. I work for a university and our fall break (not that I get it as a staff member!) is October 11-14. I am sure many other schools have it that weekend too. There may be more going on, but that's a possibility.