Are we gonna be Pariahs on board? (how Gay friendly is HAL)

bert425

To bert425. No one cares anymore if people are gay or straight, I love Hal and cruised a few times with my elderly parents. While it is a little more conservative than the other lines if you are looking for a relaxing trip then this line is for you. As I'm sure you already know, there are asses and fabulous people Everywhere!

Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Several years ago I was on a HAL cruise with four other straight women. We met a wonderful gay couple on deck one evening, when they came up to us on deck and invited us to the Friends of Dorothy meetings. They had assumed we were a group of lesbians and were trying to figure out who was with whom. It was pretty funny and we spent a lot of time with them the rest of the cruise.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise. Please tell your mom not to worry!

We live in a somewhat sparsely populated insular area and had really never known any gay couples. A few years ago we had fixed dining and were seated with a gay male couple. Just the four of us. We honestly didn't have a clue what we would ever find to talk about but decided to stick it out for 22 days and broaden our horizons.

We were so glad we did make that decision because we had a great time and shared so many laughs. On the last night there were hugs all around. I feel that we are better people because of the experience.

I'm enjoying this thread and where it is going [ nobody being judgmental ] but reading THIS made me think of our cruise two [?] years ago -when we -too- had a long cruise/dining companionship with a couple. Until I read THIS [sapper's] comment - I honestly had forgotten they were gay BECAUSE we ALL [ there were 8 at the table] had such a GOOD time .... what somebody else IS [ black/white/gay/straight/handsome/ugly etc] isn't really important if they are NICE :)

Anne from Colorado

We live in a somewhat sparsely populated insular area and had really never known any gay couples. A few years ago we had fixed dining and were seated with a gay male couple. Just the four of us. We honestly didn't have a clue what we would ever find to talk about but decided to stick it out for 22 days and broaden our horizons.

We were so glad we did make that decision because we had a great time and shared so many laughs. On the last night there were hugs all around. I feel that we are better people because of the experience.

when we first met face to face in the NL on Zuiderdam I seem to remember a hug like old friends meeting again :)

Seriously though, we got married on Oosterdam last year and our fellow passengers were amazing. Word traveled fast through the ship that the first same sex shipboard wedding on the west coast had been on board on embarkation day and people went out of their way to find us, shake our hands, hugs or get pictures.

We only had one negative experience- one couple sitting across from us in the Crows Nest at the VIP party asked why the officers were congratulating us. When we told them she said "Well isn't that just lovely" and they quickly left. One of the officers asked us what we said as it looked like she just bit into a lemon :D One out of 2000 plus people is pretty good in my book.

Don't worry- have fun and get to know people!!!

Well, I see plenty of posts telling you that everything will be just fine.

Hmmmmm....

The truth is that people will be people on a cruise, just like anywhere else. Many will accept you, but others will not. Just be prepared for the usual realities of life.

igraf

as I said, I realize that some of the older crowd will potentially have an issue with an openly gay couple (it's not like we make out, or do anything inappropriate regardless, but it's clear we're a couple) . . . but I'm really not concerned about it.

I guess my question to all the regular HAL travelers is: Should I be?...

bert

On our last cruise on HAL there were several LGBT get togethers with many attendees, I personally didn't see anyone being treated differently than anyone else.

I would hope that in the 21st century the 3rd century mindset is a dying breed!

Have a great cruise!

Derek

My cousin and I were in the Eurodam last October. We met a lovely couple who had a room in the same corridor. We share a dinner table, and an evening of story telling. These ladies were very interesting company, and seemed to have made the acquaintance of any number of pax . There were a number of persons visiting with a "hello", or "how was your day?". Your mom should not worry too much.

Marilyn

Sent from my iPad using Forums

dear bert425,

I know you'll have a great cruise....

but if you want to save yourself some luggage space..just pack the tuxedo or the suit. There is no need to pack both for just 2 formal nights.

enjoy

Haha. . (laughing because, unfortunately, I DO tend to overpack).

Better to have something and not want to wear it, than to want something and not have it!

and since we're in a Signature Suite, the space shouldn't be an issue.

we did agree that we'll only bring one large suitcase, and two clothing bags (in addition to carry-ons), since Southwest gives us two free checked bags each.

so from my point of view, we're 1 bag under :)

and thanks again to everyone who has responded!

as i noted we're doing the ABC islands on the Noordam on 11/3.

so if any of y'all will be on that boat, we'll have to be sure to meet up for drinks!

[quote name='bert425']Hah. . that's a whole 'nother ball of wax!

I have several tattoos that Mom/Dad don't know about. We've been joking about how we're all going to swim after midnight on the boat, so we can continue to "hide" them :p

LOL[/quote]
Well, I wouldn't spend too much time planning your midnight swims on HAL. They net the pools way too early at night. I'm not sure exactly when they close them, but I have seen them netted down for the night as early as 8pm.

Its most unfortunate as I would love a late evening, after dinner soak in an uncrowded hot tub, but is just not possible on HAL.

[quote name='bert425']Haha. . (laughing because, unfortunately, I DO tend to overpack).

Better to have something and not want to wear it, than to want something and not have it!

[/quote]

That is us to a T. We are not known for traveling light - though DH wears his tux on both/all formal nights with different shirts and accessories.

And, I echo the posters in saying that, while people will be people, the atmosphere on HAL ships, in our experience, has been quite welcoming and accepting of the gay community. So I think your Mom's concerns should be soundly alleviated.

There is also a good thread here: [url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1829818[/url]

[quote name='DaveOKC']We have met a number of Gay couples on our cruises and I have to say that nothing was made of it from anyone I encountered. So, go and enjoy yourself, it will not be an issue.

DaveOKC[/QUOTE]

I agree , if there is an issue it won't be yours it will be the one complaining.

I too have been on many cruises with both male couples and female couples and I never heard anyone say anything negative. Oh, except that time when my DH was gone to pick up dessert in the Lido and came back and 2 gentlemen were sitting with me and his nose got out of joint thinking they were flirting with me. I "told him off" after we left and I thought he should apologize for being rude, after I informed him that they were a gay couple. Then I think he went and hid for the day.

Oh well after 50 years of marriage I guess I should have felt flattered to think he was jealous. LOL Hugs to you and your Partner and have a great cruise.:):):)

Helen

My partner and I have never experienced so much as a sideways glance from fellow passengers, from crew, or in ports. (Though we won't be taking a baltic cruise to St. Petersburg anytime soon, to be sure).

I agree with everything on the board. My partner and I did the Alaska cruise on HAL last summer and made some great friends. The staff was so friendly... Lots of FODs and very sweet. Have a wonderful time and don't worry, mom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote name='bert425']One last question. . at least last one I can think of prior to our cruise :)

I know the average ages on the HAL cruises tend to be older, and I'm not concerned about it -- I tend to get along fantastic with everyone (my Partner says I have the "gift of gab")

but my Mother just voiced a concern to me that she "hopes that we (my Partner and I) aren't going to be ostracized by the other passengers", simply because she wanted to book us on a HAL cruise).

My instinct, based on the interactions I've had thus far on CruiseCritic (particularly in the Roll Call strings), is that we will be just fine, and will get along with others on the ship.

as I said, I realize that some of the older crowd will potentially have an issue with an openly gay couple (it's not like we make out, or do anything inappropriate regardless, but it's clear we're a couple) . . . but I'm really not concerned about it.

I guess my question to all the regular HAL travelers is: Should I be?

Thanks, and can't wait for November for our first HAL cruise!

bert[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="4"]I eagerly look forward to the day that you don't even have to ask this question. Have a great trip. :-}[/SIZE]

[quote name='kazu']I have had the pleasure to cruise with many wonderful cruisers . Some of the best were in your personal circumstances.

I am always delighted if we have the good fortune to meet up and cruise with them again.

I think you should have a great time:)[/QUOTE]

[B][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]My exact experience. They even hold LGBT meetings 2-3 times a week.:):D:)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Hi

My partner and I cruised with HAL since 1985 and never had any problems. I am now cruising solo due to his death and have no problems discussing this with any other cruisers. don't worry, you will have a great time and will enjoy the ABC islands.