Are we gonna be Pariahs on board? (how Gay friendly is HAL)

bert425

One last question. . at least last one I can think of prior to our cruise :)

I know the average ages on the HAL cruises tend to be older, and I'm not concerned about it -- I tend to get along fantastic with everyone (my Partner says I have the "gift of gab")

but my Mother just voiced a concern to me that she "hopes that we (my Partner and I) aren't going to be ostracized by the other passengers", simply because she wanted to book us on a HAL cruise).

My instinct, based on the interactions I've had thus far on CruiseCritic (particularly in the Roll Call strings), is that we will be just fine, and will get along with others on the ship.

as I said, I realize that some of the older crowd will potentially have an issue with an openly gay couple (it's not like we make out, or do anything inappropriate regardless, but it's clear we're a couple) . . . but I'm really not concerned about it.

I guess my question to all the regular HAL travelers is: Should I be?

Thanks, and can't wait for November for our first HAL cruise!

bert

I think common sense would be your guide- and it looks like you have that covered.

Whether gay or straight I would be uncomfortable with public make out sessions or inappropriate over-affection. Maybe uncomfortable isn't the proper word- but I hope you get my drift!

I've had great fun with gay couples and load of fun with straight ones. It's attitude and a happy spirit that matters most. Don't worry, every family, from the beginning of time, has had their fair share of 'bachelor uncles'!! :D

My wife and I have been on a dozen HAL cruises over the years. When we first started with HAL we were pretty young (35-40) compared to the average passenger on the ship. In fact, as we checked in, we saw so many wheel chairs, scooters and oxygen tanks, we wondered if we had made a mistake. But we were wrong. On every trip, all the passengers were great. Didn't matter if you were gay, straight, single, old, or young. We found HAL passengers always enjoyable to be around. Just don't talk politics, or the smoking policy while on board:)

heh. . with my Dad?

I think we already have a standing "no politics" policy.

(or my Mom will kill him for starting a fight with my Brother and I) :)

Thanks folks.. I figured as much, but as she's concerned, I thought it best to ask, so I can assure her!

If there is a Friends of Dorothy gathering, attend to meet other pax who will be very welcoming. One of my friends once told me that straight pax are welcome to attend the FOD gathering -- and I though he was pulling my leg -- until I attended my first one and met lots of great couples. A few times, we joined each other at the Lido when there was limited seating.

I doubt you will run into any issues, however. Enjoy your cruise!

One last question. . at least last one I can think of prior to our cruise :)

I know the average ages on the HAL cruises tend to be older, and I'm not concerned about it -- I tend to get along fantastic with everyone (my Partner says I have the "gift of gab")

but my Mother just voiced a concern to me that she "hopes that we (my Partner and I) aren't going to be ostracized by the other passengers", simply because she wanted to book us on a HAL cruise).

My instinct, based on the interactions I've had thus far on CruiseCritic (particularly in the Roll Call strings), is that we will be just fine, and will get along with others on the ship.

as I said, I realize that some of the older crowd will potentially have an issue with an openly gay couple (it's not like we make out, or do anything inappropriate regardless, but it's clear we're a couple) . . . but I'm really not concerned about it.

I guess my question to all the regular HAL travelers is: Should I be?

Thanks, and can't wait for November for our first HAL cruise!

bert

You know what this is a new era and No do not feel that way! I have a wonderful brother who is happy with his partner and we love them sooo much! Be happy and enjoy your cruise! No problems with us !!!! HAL is wonderful and you will love your cruise! :)

Tell Mom to stop worrying. It's the 21 century. DH & I are "old folks" and honestly don't care about "these things." We think everyone should have their choice of who to be happy with.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Stay away from politics and don't ask anyone what they paid for their cruise.

Not many people are interested in your sexuality...and those who are don't matter.

Have a great cruise. Your Mom chose the right cruise line.

Edited by DFD1

I have had the pleasure to cruise with many wonderful cruisers . Some of the best were in your personal circumstances.

I am always delighted if we have the good fortune to meet up and cruise with them again.

I think you should have a great time:)

Judging from the preponderance of positive reactions you've received, my bet is that you would better spend your "worry budget" on what to do, what (not) to pack, what you'll wear on formal nights, and how you are going to afford all of this! In other words, worry about having fun, not what others think.

Fair winds, following seas, and may someone always lower the yardarm or raise the Sun!;)

As others have said - it will be fine. There are gays on this board, you are definitely not alone.:D My DH and I once teamed up with a gay couple of guys on a cruise and had so much fun with them on excursions - that was back in the days when DH was still a bit homophobic. He's caught up with the times since then, LOL. BTW, that couple were brave enough to get up and dance together in the Ocean Bar. I don't think anyone batted an eye except one idiot who slunk out when he realised he was very much outnumbered by the other passengers.

We live in a somewhat sparsely populated insular area and had really never known any gay couples. A few years ago we had fixed dining and were seated with a gay male couple. Just the four of us. We honestly didn't have a clue what we would ever find to talk about but decided to stick it out for 22 days and broaden our horizons.

We were so glad we did make that decision because we had a great time and shared so many laughs. On the last night there were hugs all around. I feel that we are better people because of the experience.

Just don't show any tattoos and you'll be fine. :)

Seriously, I'm positive it won't be an issue. Enjoy your cruise!

Hah. . that's a whole 'nother ball of wax!

I have several tattoos that Mom/Dad don't know about. We've been joking about how we're all going to swim after midnight on the boat, so we can continue to "hide" them :p

LOL

Judging from the preponderance of positive reactions you've received, my bet is that you would better spend your "worry budget" on what to do, what (not) to pack, what you'll wear on formal nights, and how you are going to afford all of this!

yes, agreed. I'm very happy to see the response (and so polite too!) to the query. Tho it's my Mom that was worried. .so I'll tell her what y'all said.

we're gonna start looking into excursions soon! Booking just formally confirmed Monday.

as to formal wear, apparently our 10 day sailing, only has 2 formal nights (per the travel agent), so I'll bring my Tux and a suit.

I'm not worried about cost, as my Dad is insisting on this being a gift (to thank my Brother and I for the party we threw for their 50th anniversary a few years back).

In other words, worry about having fun, not what others think.

I typically do. My personal mantras are

"I may care what you think, but I won't let it affect the way I act"

and

"It's really none of my business what your opinion of me is"

so yes, I am ALL about having fun on this gifted trip! We're all going as my Dad really wants us there, so despite my Partner and I just getting back from a 10 day swing thru Pennsylvania (we hit the classic theme parks), and my Brother/SiL just getting back from Vegas. . . we're all doing a 2nd big trip this year, despite the extra times off work! :)

Fair winds, following seas, and may someone always lower the yardarm or raise the Sun!;)

Thanks!

to you, as well as to all the other wonderful responses!

bert

The fact that HAL has Friends of Dorothy meetings regularly on the daily agenda is a sign that the cruise line welcomes you.

I can't guarantee that nobody will be a jerk about it, since we all meet the occasional jerk who has mean things to say about all kinds of issues (I've had my weight commented on, and I've heard more than one racist or anti-immigrant comment from some old geezer).

BUT on my last cruise I noticed several mixed race couples who were obviously at least 70! To me that was such an encouraging sign. We know the younger generations have finally "evolved" on a lot of matters, but many of those who grew up with less inclusive attitudes have come along too.

If you were on my cruise, I'd certainly hang out with you. Like a lot of women, I love gay men.

I have been on cruises w same sex couples whom I assumed were gay although I did not ask as it was none of my business. Just as with a man/woman couple, what you do in your cabin is your business. As you said, you do not make out in public just as I assume that a man/woman couple would not make a public display of their affection.

Enjoy the cruise.

DPN

Many of HAL's crew and entertainers are "family" and HAL does many LGBT whole ship charters with RSVP/Atlantis and Olivia. You will meet at least some other LGBT couples on board if you attend the FOD/LGBT mixer, watch for it on the schedule. You will have a wonderful time!

On our recent HAL cruises there have been LGBT get-togethers listed on the daily schedule as such. We've made many friends, both gay and straight on our cruises and have loved that HAL is truly a "big tent" these days.

Have a fabulous time!

Edited by shrimp56

I don't think it will be an issue with HAL, and I am sure you are quite use to dealing with the occasional jerk who might happen to be on board. Depending upon your itinerary, you may wish to research some of the ports. Some Caribbean islands are well known for discriminating against gay people and being openly hostile.

bert

I typically do. My personal mantras are

"I may care what you think, but I won't let it affect the way I act"

and

"It's really none of my business what your opinion of me is"

I love the way you phrase these two thoughts.

I think that way but never could have put it to words so well.

I join the others in saying I can't imagine you will not fell part of the 'crowd' just fine on any HAL ship. We've had the pleasure of getting to know any number of gay folks on HAL ships and never gave a thought to what they do in the privacy of their cabin. We have had loads of fun, laughs and great conversations. Lots of hugs all around when we said 'til we meet again'. That is what matters to me.

Hope you have a great cruise. :)