Zuiderdan vs Statendam

Invincible

We cruised last September on Statendam to Hawaii and the South Pacific, we loved the cruise and visited some wonderful places but the ship was a bit dated and in the words of a fellow traveller rather dull activity wise. We said we probably wouldn't go with HAL again but an itinerary came up which we liked on Zuiderdam doing Alaska before continuing south to the Panama Canal and Florida so we booked it. How does Zuiderdam compare as a ship to Statendam?

It's hard to find two more different ships in the HAL fleet than the Statendam and Zuiderdam.

If you didn't care for the smaller size of the Statendam, you may like the much larger Zuiderdam; it seems people prefer one or the other.

The types of daytime activities on this itinerary should be quite different than you found on the Statendam. There may have been enrichment lectures on the South Pacific cruise (educated guess), but don't expect the same amount of enrichment on the Zuiderdam itinerary. However, there may be some lectures about the Canal.

Everything on the Zuiderdam is larger than the comparable room on the Statendam (except the cabins ;)), but that's to accommodate the greater number of passengers. The ship feels a little more crowded.

But you will find the same quality of food, level of service, and attention to detail. You may like the difference.

We have been on both within the past 2 years and would definitely choose the Zuiderdam. The Statendam had an engine vibration during our entire cruise (in one area of the ship) and I would not want to repeat that. The Z is much larger and has more to offer IMO (especially the Thermal Pool).

DaveOKC

Zuiderdam is fantastic right now. A thousand times better than the Statendam. I base this mostly on crew, but the difference was unbelieveable!

As a ship, which is what you want to know, the Zuiderdam is a lot nicer, more spacious, better taken care of inside and out, beautifully decorated. Food is about the same, as is the service. The overall vibe is just outstanding. No water leaks, toilet problems or A/C and heat problems, wither.

It's hard to find two more different ships in the HAL fleet than the Statendam and Zuiderdam.

If you didn't care for the smaller size of the Statendam, you may like the much larger Zuiderdam; it seems people prefer one or the other.

The types of daytime activities on this itinerary should be quite different than you found on the Statendam. There may have been enrichment lectures on the South Pacific cruise (educated guess), but don't expect the same amount of enrichment on the Zuiderdam itinerary. However, there may be some lectures about the Canal.

Everything on the Zuiderdam is larger than the comparable room on the Statendam (except the cabins ;)), but that's to accommodate the greater number of passengers. The ship feels a little more crowded.

But you will find the same quality of food, level of service, and attention to detail. You may like the difference.

Thank you for the comparison Ruth!

I am booked on the Zuiderdam for this Nov. but am concerned now about the A/c issues I am reading about. When were you last on the ship and did you hear any complaints?

Zuiderdam is fantastic right now. A thousand times better than the Statendam. I base this mostly on crew, but the difference was unbelieveable!

As a ship, which is what you want to know, the Zuiderdam is a lot nicer, more spacious, better taken care of inside and out, beautifully decorated. Food is about the same, as is the service. The overall vibe is just outstanding. No water leaks, toilet problems or A/C and heat problems, wither.

I am booked on the Zuiderdam for this Nov. but am concerned now about the A/c issues I am reading about. When were you last on the ship and did you hear any complaints?

I was just on the ship last week. Granted, it was Alaska, but the ship was quite cool. My wife actually thought is was too cool most of the time. The only exception was Pinnacle. Men had to remove their dinner jackets because it was so warm.

Just got home.

A/C about the ship was fine. Much better than on many HAL ships we've been on lately.

A couple of times the cabin A/C seems to have gone to low, low speed and the cabin heated up for a couple of hours and then everything was back to normal.

Heard no complaints about A/C, though the ship was fill of newbies who might not notice....

The end of an era on R and S class ships is approaching faster than many of us want.

My advice is sail on these class of ships as much as you can.

I used think that way, but after experiencing the decline of the Statendam and the superiority of the Zuiderdam, I am thinking of jumping to the Vista class.