Viking: How *big* are those Quietvox devices?

Ukalady

Can someone share with me a measurement/weight (approximate is fine) of how big the Quietvox audio system "receivers" are? These are evidently used during the off-boat tours.

Do you hang 'em around your neck? If so, "yuck" for adding unbounded tackiness to my well-thought-out and lovely travel wear ;)

I don't really want to haul around (or wear!) something bulky *after* the tour we take if we don't head back to the boat first to unload 'em. And I'm not planning on carrying a bag during the days off boat times to stuff it in...

If it's as large as I'm thinking it looks like on the Quietvox site, I'm thinking maybe I'll be better off just skipping the unit and hoping I can hear the guide... And, no, with my upper body build, there'd be no way to slip it under the top I'm wearing; that'd make it *really* obvious.

And yes, I *did* read about the units here: http://www.rivercruiseadvisor.com/2012/05/river-cruise-basics-quietvox/ It just doesn't give me a perspective on size/weight.

Edited by Ukalady
Add'l info added.

I would say that the Quiet Vox units are maybe 2.5 in x 4 in x .75 in. They are really quite lightweight; in fact, my husband often has to remind me I still have mine on. I really don't think you want to forego it altogether. Wearing it allows you to listen to your guide without having to cluster around him/her, or take photos or linger at a viewpoint while still listening to the narrative. JMO, of course. :)

Becki

Thank you, Becki and CPT Trips, for your input.

I'm trying not to get "fussy" about things like this, but it's hard! :o As I've posted before, my previous ideas of "vacations" are either backpacking trips in the Sierra or Cascade ranges (the back country areas without any reservations required and few people to see even over a week or two) or heading to Hawai'i where I spend most of the time playing ukulele with friends or sitting on our very private lanai on the Island of Hawai'i and watching the waves.

Having people around constantly and being part of the "noise" is a bit different and I figure if I know what to expect ahead of time, perhaps it'll be a bit easier of an adjustment.

Making that adjustment will be easier with the Quiet Vox, I believe. It will allow you to hang back or find a quiet spot where you can still hear the guide but not be amongst a cluster of others.

Good luck!

Becki

Ukalady ~ I completely understand how you feel!!! First RC when we had our first meeting and the idea of the Quietvox was introduced I thought - Oh No, that's not for me!!! Then I caved and decided I'd try it - but ugh - all that "stuff" - put on my cross body bag, add the box strap around my neck, put in the ear phone, my carmera on my shoulder - I remember thinking I'll just stay in my cabin and pout!!!

But wait - then I'd miss everything! So off I went to join the excursion feeling like a complete tourist!! (Like I wasn't??) And, surprisingly, my box worked and I found I could wander off to take photos (my "thing") and never miss a word! And within minutes I had forgotten all about the "stuff" on me!! And when we did go off on our own the box easily went into by bag!

And as for being tourists - traveling in a pack of 20-30 people "marked" us in the first place before anyone could get close enough to see our boxes and earphones!!

I never hung the QuietVox around my neck. I think it had a belt clip, but if not I either jammed it under my belt or dropped it in a pocket.

If you don't use it, good luck trying to hear the guide: since they expect everybody to be using one, they speak at normal volume which doesn't carry very far.

This isn't your Hawaii vacation. If you try to force a river cruise into your predetermined mold, you'll miss a lot of what you paid for and feel constantly thwarted. Go with the flow and enjoy it for what it is. If you don't like it, you'll appreciate Hawaii that much more on your next trip. :)

Thanks, all, for the philosophical input too! I'm an optimist by nature so I'm sure this'll be a great experience-- I think the idea suddenly just came upon me that moi, who typically does things a bit "differently," is going to be part of an experience in which there's more "going with the crowd" involved. But I'm determined that this will be part of the fun, too

I'm a writer/blogger so I think I'm going to set up a quick site to write and record this trip online. If folks are interested in the musings and images from a first-time cruiser ( of any genre), I'll post a link when I get it started.

Until then, lots of anticipating--and more than my share of silly questions to this board.

Mahalo nui loa to all for your help.

Edited by Ukalady
hit "send" at wrong time!

The Quietvox receivers are about the size of an iPhone 4/4s (in length and width), but twice as thick. They weight a bit less than an iPhone though :)

They have no clips, but the earpiece has a cord to put it around your neck. But many guests just put them in their pocket, seems to work well too. But I am usually one of the guys using the red transmitter, which has to be carried around the neck for free transmission and due to the internal microphone built in.

If you don't use it, good luck trying to hear the guide: since they expect everybody to be using one, they speak at normal volume which doesn't carry very far.

Don't underestimate this part of the advice, the guide can't and won't talk louder to accommodate those willfully declining the technology as that would make things uncomfortable for those using it and for the guide as well since being able to avoid having to shout is much better for the longevity of their voice.

We've used these systems a couple of times now and they really do work very well. You can tuck them into a pocket or a shoulder bag and then only have to deal with the earpiece if you don't want to dangle them around your neck.

• Like 1

We just got back from our first River Cruise. You're going to find that these cruises, at least the one we were on, are about as laid back as you can get. Do the included tour - don't do the included tour, no one cares. Use the transmitters, don't use the transmitters, no one cares - except you won't hear the guide.

On our cruise (Avalon), rarely were groups larger than 20 people, which is manageable with these devices.

We felt like these transmitters were the best things, ever. You could stay near the crowd or settle back in your own pace, taking pictures, spending more time at one spot while others moved on, etc., while still hearing the information. And they transmit quite a distance.

My suggestion is: try it, you'll like it.

I agree.......... the QuietVox are great!!! I found several things that interested me while walking (from a photography perspective) that the group was not stopping at......where I spent a few extra minutes getting the right photo/exposure etc.

I was then able to keep the group within ear shot and catch up without missing something.

I agree.......... the QuietVox are great!!! I found several things that interested me while walking (from a photography perspective) that the group was not stopping at......where I spent a few extra minutes getting the right photo/exposure etc.

I was then able to keep the group within ear shot and catch up without missing something.

I can't believe no one else brought this up and I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one who does this......(sorry guys, this one's for the ladies) I take my quietvox and stick it under my shirt inside my bra!!! I can't tell you how many times I actually forget it's there. My hands are free to take pictures, it's not a weight around my neck and I don't have to worry about where it is, cause it's always right there where I put it!! :D

I can't believe no one else brought this up and I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one who does this......(sorry guys, this one's for the ladies) I take my quietvox and stick it under my shirt inside my bra!!! I can't tell you how many times I actually forget it's there. My hands are free to take pictures, it's not a weight around my neck and I don't have to worry about where it is, cause it's always right there where I put it!! :D

Hmmmmm there is a reason I did not mention that.... as I am not so equipped !!:eek:

Hmmmmm there is a reason I did not mention that.... as I am not so equipped !!:eek:

Hi Bill! Not going there for all the tea in China!!! Quick update, we did Black Sea with Prague and Bratislava pre-trip...I was able to handle all the walking and am now the proud owner of a Magellan sport seat, which is the best thing I ever bought!!! Now I have a light weight 3 pronged cane with a seat so I can sit instead of stand while the guide is telling us about what we're looking at!!! Not bad considering in January I couldn't stand up without a walker!!!!

Hi Bill! Not going there for all the tea in China!!! Quick update, we did Black Sea with Prague and Bratislava pre-trip...I was able to handle all the walking and am now the proud owner of a Magellan sport seat, which is the best thing I ever bought!!! Now I have a light weight 3 pronged cane with a seat so I can sit instead of stand while the guide is telling us about what we're looking at!!! Not bad considering in January I couldn't stand up without a walker!!!!

Wow...what an improvement. I actually purchased a Hurry Cane (no seat) before our trip...but actually did not use it. The last injection in my foot helped for my trip.

A lady on our trip to Israel in April '13 had a Hurry Cane. She had broken her hip not long before the trip and was doing really well, but needed the cane for stability. We did a lot of walking, and over a lot of unimproved ground, so that cane really did the trick. She still asked for assistance where there were steps with no handrails, and either my husband or I were quick to support her, but otherwise she did a great job of keeping up.

Becki

Have any of you used the Quiet Vox while wearing hearing aids? I was wondering if that worked differently.

I have hearing aids but chose not to wear them. These transmitters are one-ear ones (unless you bring your own favorite ear/headphones like one gentleman did). If I were to use my hearing aids, I probably would have kept one in the ear that did NOT have the transmitter's earpiece if I wanted to be aware of other sounds around. The volume control on these things were pretty impressive (could get quite loud) so I think you'll find the hearing aid is not required in that ear.