Rock of Ages with 5 year old

DipBrat

I know from other posts that RoA is not recommended for kids due to language and simulated sex. That said unless it is violent I am not too worried and I don’t think a 5 year old will notice the language or simulated sex and she loves Broadway shows so I am inclined to bring her. Would she be allowed entry?

I know from other posts that RoA is not recommended for kids due to language and simulated sex. That said unless it is violent I am not too worried and I don’t think a 5 year old will notice the language or simulated sex and she loves Broadway shows so I am inclined to bring her. Would she be allowed entry?

They will stop you at the door, but if you say you know the warnings and stuff they will let them in. I think you have to sit towards the back.

I don't know that they would BAN a 5 year old. I would consider the show to be "R" rated though. I've not seen any children at all at either of the two shows of RoA I've seen.

I don't know that they would BAN a 5 year old. I would consider the show to be "R" rated though. I've not seen any children at all at either of the two shows of RoA I've seen.

I remember 2 years ago when the Off Broadway RoA came to my city. Some parents brought their 12-16 year olds sons. I swear they had the biggest smiles afterwards....

I'm in the minority when I say take your child. I took my 10 year old daughter and she loved it. There wasn't any language she hasn't heard before (knowing they are bad words) and if a "sex" scene was over her head... It was over her head. The music costumes and dancing should hold her interest. We sat very close to stage. Noone stopped me at the door and noone made us sit in back. No regrets. There is worse on cable and HBO just flipping channels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Your 5 y.o. kid who loves broadway will probably have more of an issue that a bunch of great songs are strung together by a loose "plot" that's circular and hard to follow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the minority when I say take your child. I took my 10 year old daughter and she loved it. There wasn't any language she hasn't heard before (knowing they are bad words) and if a "sex" scene was over her head... It was over her head. The music costumes and dancing should hold her interest. We sat very close to stage. Noone stopped me at the door and noone made us sit in back. No regrets. There is worse on cable and HBO just flipping channels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

I'll join your minority :D My 13 y.o son and 16 y.o daughter can't wait to see it. They've seen the movie and the play on Broadway so I'm not worried.

Your 5 y.o. kid who loves broadway will probably have more of an issue that a bunch of great songs are strung together by a loose "plot" that's circular and hard to follow...

Yeah I have heard that. Of course the plot is hardly the point with most musicals and especially so for a 5 year old.

For the little ones it goes right over their heads -- it is full of great colors and great music-my grandchildren -- said when asked what did you think -- love the noise (music ) and all the colors -- it was funny -- they were 4 and 5 -- and nine --

Now I with that being said -- The concern is with the teens - they are the ones who do not miss a trick -- there were plenty of them the night we went ----

The staff will say something to you - like do you know the show is ! Yes we know !

I agree with most here . A 5 yr old will enjoy the music and dancing and costumes. Any sexual references will go right over their heads .

With the teens , it will be mild compared to what is on TV and the internet today.

I enjoyed the play for the music. The 80s were my hey day. But it was not my favorite Broadway show by a long shot.

ROFL...Great Post as that is how this broadway lover found it to be :)

I liked it well enough - I found it to be a fun '80s music nostalgia trip. That said, I don't plan on bringing my 10 yo dd (nor did I take her back in Feb.). In some way (not all) the staged version was raunchier than the movie. (btw - I HATED the movie but had fun at the show)

To each their own. I'd say that if you are comfortable taking your kid to an R rated movie with explicit content, then RoA should not be a problem. There were kids in the audience when I saw it. They seemed happy enough. Can't say the same for the older couple sitting next to me who were thoroughly disgusted and walked out about 20 minutes in.

One last thought - I found it to be very long with no intermission. I had trouble sitting through it, so I can't imagine my dd would have sat through it at age 5.

Didn't quite make it "over" their heads, did it? :p

Oh so close. Landed right on one of their heads. :)

I've seen the show twice and loved it, but no way would in take my 6 or 8 year old.

But we're all free to screw up out own kids however we see fit, so knock yourselves out if you want to ignore the warnings.

(To clarify, that last comment was not related to the post which I quoted)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There are some interesting replies to the OP's question in this thread. Good food for thought.

Let's look at the issue from another angle. As the OP stated in post #1, the show contains language and simulated sex.

Imagine that you are at a local park with a 5 year old child and another adult approachss the child and proceeds to use the "language" from the show in front on the child and then performs the "simulated sex" acts from the show in front of the child.

What do you think would happen?

Exactly...that adult would find themselves hauled off to jail and labeled a predator and a sex offender. Assuming, of course, that they didn't end up in the hospital or the morgue before the cops got there.

I don't think anybody would think this behavior would be appropriate in front of the child...so why are we even debating whether or not it is ok for a parent to expose a child to the very same behavior? Just because its performed on a stage in a theater doesn't make it appropriate for a child. Does it?

I agree with SeaShark...I was a Pre-School teacher and children would rein-act at that age what they had seen...I could just see that child during class reenacting out this with his classmate and then the classmate going home to show his /her parents..I would have a lot of explaining to do.. It has happened...The five year does not need to see this showl

There are some interesting replies to the OP's question in this thread. Good food for thought.

Let's look at the issue from another angle. As the OP stated in post #1, the show contains language and simulated sex.

Imagine that you are at a local park with a 5 year old child and another adult approachss the child and proceeds to use the "language" from the show in front on the child and then performs the "simulated sex" acts from the show in front of the child.

What do you think would happen?

Exactly...that adult would find themselves hauled off to jail and labeled a predator and a sex offender. Assuming, of course, that they didn't end up in the hospital or the morgue before the cops got there.

I don't think anybody would think this behavior would be appropriate in front of the child...so why are we even debating whether or not it is ok for a parent to expose a child to the very same behavior? Just because its performed on a stage in a theater doesn't make it appropriate for a child. Does it?

Agree there are lots of good responses. Thanks everyone. As for this analogy I am not sure it is at all the same thing. Context is important.

Agree there are lots of good responses. Thanks everyone. As for this analogy I am not sure it is at all the same thing. Context is important.

I agree that the analogy is completely off-base because context is incredibly relevant. Another poster said something about (and I paraphrase): you're free to screw up your kid as you please.

1. Taking your kid to a show that features sexually inspired content is no way comparable to a creepy adult in a park "simulating" sexual acts. The idea that it is is totally preposterous.

2. Taking your young child to a Broadway show is the opposite of "screwing her up." It's opening her world to art, entertainment and culture.

Take her! Enjoy it! If she gets bored, leave early.

I have a 5-year-old son, and I wouldn't think twice about taking him to this show if I thought he'd enjoy it (his R-rated experiences lean more to the LOTR style entertainment). These experiences will only make our children more well-rounded.

I agree that the analogy is completely off-base because context is incredibly relevant. Another poster said something about (and I paraphrase): you're free to screw up your kid as you please.

1. Taking your kid to a show that features sexually inspired content is no way comparable to a creepy adult in a park "simulating" sexual acts. The idea that it is is totally preposterous.

2. Taking your young child to a Broadway show is the opposite of "screwing her up." It's opening her world to art, entertainment and culture.

I have a 5-year-old son, and I wouldn't think twice about taking him to this show if I thought he'd enjoy it (his R-rated experiences lean more to the LOTR style entertainment). These experiences will only make our children more well-rounded.

Yes, by all means take a 5 year to the show and then stand up and walk out making all those behind you in the theater miss parts of the show because you felt a need to leave a show you have already been warned is not for children. Its fun to try to watch between the kids and adults that should know better.....and yes....we had to watch between the adults leaving before...might as well add kids to the mix.

Edited by peg013

So glad to hear I'm not the only one who didn't agree with that analogy. I was not going to comment because I didn't want to come off as confrontational and start an argument on here for something that really wasn't important. We are all going to do what we want with our own kids regardless of what anyone else thinks and frankly (and unfortunately) i think they hear worse in school but mine are 13 & 16, not 5.