Prices are way up

Redtravel

I too, am concerned about rising cruise prices. My last four bookings with Celebrity show a rather ALARMING trend. :mad:

October of 2013, 15 nights for $449pp. ($250 OBC)

April of 2014, 15 nights for $630pp. ($250 OBC)

October of 2014, 15 nights for $649pp. ($350 OBC)

April of 2015, 14 nights for $699pp. ($450 OBC)

If this keeps up, in only 5 or 6 years, I might be paying the AVERAGE price. :eek:

What category is this for? It looks pretty reasonable

I noted this a few weeks ago! Prices rocketed up by a considerable amount for us and even with the current promotions, it made more economic sense to look elsewhere so somewhat regretfully we did!

Looks like booking early is good as well as booking last few weeks before sailing if you can be flexible.

This sailing was over a year away. I'm still looking at the prices with interest to see if they do drop but guess 2016 will be the year we sail on a S class ship instead of 2015!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One word - NO!

To me, this chart shows that fares went up in Fall of 2012, came back down Fall of 2013, and appear to be now slightly less than fall of 2013.

Suites being the obvious outlier in general terms, and but for an occasional fare spike.

CrusieFares_zps9c082429.jpg

Rather a broad statement. Perhaps some are less but our cruise for 2015 is $350 more pp than this year. Yes, it was booked on-board and early. It surely wasn't supply and demand when it was booked during CC Early Booking.

I understand that costs are going up for everything, but not to this extreme.

I think it is extreme as well.

I think some cruses, early bookings are more expensive, some are not. Some cruses prices fall after final payment, others they go up.

These are the supply and demand forces.

There is no set rule that prices are all discounted at on sale, and all cheap after final payment.

Some cruses they know from history will sell out so no need to discount at on sale, or if they will run a promotion that included a "dollar off" scheme, they need to first mark it up to allow for the "discount" to settle in at the planned pricing strategy. This is the job of their revenue management department, to identify special cruises that can tolerate higher fares or will require lower fares to keep the ship moving.

Kind of like a hotel in Times Square at NYE will have a fixed set expensive rate, they may even require a 3 night stay at that fare to do all they can to grab the $$$ for that unique location and period of time relative the the finite number of available rooms in the market.

Like they know Thanksgiving, Christmas and NYE cruises will sell out well, so high fares and not much discount, but the week after NYE, cheap fares and lots of discounted fares.

This year, the Sillie is going in for its emergency dry-dock the week after NYE cruises, no doubt that decision had something to do with lower occupancy, and those booked were in at discounted fares compared to other sailings which helped lessen the economic impact of that sailing (and allows them to try to push as many as possible to alternate sailings in that slow week)

Looking specifically at 2 of my future cruises, the Rio cruise January 2016 has had nothing but price increases since going on sale, most cabins 2 or 3, some 5.

My Dubai sailing April 2015 has had only 1 price adjustment since going on sale. It held steady until recent price drop.

My upcoming Thanksgiving cruise has had at least 10 price adjustments, like a yo-yo up and down, today most cabins selling at near (but not quite) lowest price since on sale. A veranda started out at $1009 pp, dropped to its lowest of $709 and today is at $859 while its highest price since on sale was $1059

Edited by cle-guy

I like Celebrity. As an elite, I have been on many cruisers on Celebrity/Azamara. I have also cruised on other lines. Has anyone noticed that the prices have gone way up? On a cruise in Jan. 2014, I booked a cruise for Jan. 2015. I watch fares using a fare watcher app. The fares have almost doubled. If that continues, high prices may make me reconsider future bookings. Would you pay double for your next cruise?

What is the app??

Thanks

Sorry for the hijack but Summit repositioning October 19, 2014 (6 nights) with 123GO is only $899 for AQ balcony. $699 with the law enforcement discount. Unfortunately for me I can't go that week but maybe someone else can benefit.

I like Celebrity. As an elite, I have been on many cruisers on Celebrity/Azamara. I have also cruised on other lines. Has anyone noticed that the prices have gone way up? On a cruise in Jan. 2014, I booked a cruise for Jan. 2015. I watch fares using a fare watcher app. The fares have almost doubled. If that continues, high prices may make me reconsider future bookings. Would you pay double for your next cruise?

Each sailing is priced based on supply and demand. If the prices are high now, and bookings drag, then the prices will drop. Simple as that.

Right now you can book an inside cabin on Century 23-night Transpacific cruise leaving in September for $999. That's a per diem of $43!

For January 2015 we have a balcony booked on Reflection for $779. 14 years ago we did the same cruise (7 night Caribbean) on the then-new Millennium and were thrilled to snag an inside cabin for $999. And there was no such thing as an Elite cocktail hour back then, either!