OK, Here's my question. Were you happy with Regent flight arrangements?

I've done a lot of reading here on the Regent board while considering the pros and cons of booking a cruise with Regent. One thing I haven't seen discussed is whether or not Regent does a good job in handling flight arrangements.

So, I'd like to hear your experiences with flying Business Class as I see Regent will give you free Business Class if you book a suite.

Are you happy with the way they handled your flights? Did you have any problems because they didn't do something right?

Thanks in advance for your input.

We just returned from a Regent Baltic cruise on July 20th. We went business class on SAS out of Newark. Our outbound flight went to Copenhagen and then on to Stockholm. All went perfectly well. Our return was a direct flight from Oslo to Newark. I don't know how it could've been better........only our experience, but it was terrific.

I always upgrade to Biz and often deviate for air lines and routes I want etc - worth it. A TA Regent expert can be VERY valuable!

If you have miles use them or book your own flights and get a rebate from Regent if you don't use their flights. But you do lose transfers airport to ship or hotel and back to ship.

Figure out what works the best for you!

Mudhen, your flights could have been better as SAS has a direct flight from Newark to Stockholm... no reason to transfer in Copenhagen. When Regent booked our business class travel last year, they put us on the direct flight.

Mudhen, your flights could have been better as SAS has a direct flight from Newark to Stockholm... no reason to transfer in Copenhagen. When Regent booked our business class travel last year, they put us on the direct flight.

We had no idea about the direct flight from EWR to Stockholm. We did do the business class upgrade rather late.....is it possible there was no availibility on direct flight?

We're heading to the Baltic this weekend, and we are taking Regent air. It's our first Regent cruise, so we thought we'd give Regent a chance to prove themselves. We're not in a penthouse suite, so we purchased the business class upgrade for $600 per person each way.

We fly from Phoenix to Chicago on United, and then from Chicago to Stockholm on Scandinavian Air. There's a 5 hour layover in Chicago, but SAS has a nice business class lounge so we're OK with the layover. The flight back from London stops at Dulles, and then on to Phoenix. The two domestic flights are in first class.

We couldn't be happier with the flights we're getting. If we were to try to book these tickets ourselves, it would have cost more than what we paid for the cruise. I know that others have miles that they could use for an upgrade, but we don't, so this is a real treat.

We have loved some of our Regent flight itineraries and on others decided to deviate. However, the most important thing is how Regent handles things when there are problems. On last cruise (that ended two days ago), the airline lost our luggage. Regent jumped through hoops in order to find it and get it back to us. Then, when we were expected to arrive late to the port of disembarkation, Regent immediately started trying to rebook passengers (only those that booked through Regent) for a later flight. Once passengers that booked through Regent were taken care of, they assisted passengers with independent air.

We have used Regent air, and on other occassions done our own, just depending on various criteria.

When we used Regent air we have been very happy with the arrangements, I have worked with the air department to try and book flights we wanted. I usually do some research before hand and then ask Regent if the flights we want are ones they can book, usually they can book our preferred flights, sometimes there is an upcharge for certain flights and they will usually give us an option or two that they can book without the upcharge and we then decide which works best for us. We also usually try and book as early as possible even if it means paying the deviation fee TedC mentioned, as they will then book and confirm the flights instead of waiting until the normal 70 days out.

We have an Asia cruise booked for Feb 2015. I called the air deviation department to see if I could arrange non-stop flights Toronto-Beijing and Tokyo-Toronto on Air Canada. I initially I was told it would be an extra $1000 per person per direction on top of the $1900 per person per direction I had already paid to upgrade to business class. So I asked for other options and was told we would have to go through Detroit. On asking for the flight details the agent put me on hold for a couple of minutes and when she came back said a supervisor approved my requested non-stop flights on Air Canada with no surcharge other than the $175 per person deviation fee. So I am a happy camper and looking forward to our cruise in Feb.

Happy so Far. We are heading to Athens at end of month. My TA, through Regent Air got us exactly the flights I asked for with no extra cost, only the deviation fee. Upgrade to Biz was just $499 each way. I consider that a very good deal.

This was in contrast to Oceania Air. We are booked with them for a Thanksgiving cruise out of San Juan Puerto Rico and they could not provide us with non stops from Orlando. Offered some crazy itinerarys,whick took most of the day. They said they do not have contracts with Jet Blue or Southwest, who provided the only non stops. So I took their $300 credit and booked myself. Non stops when I wanted them for a little over $300.

So I would assume that Regent Air and Oceania air are not the same.

So I would assume that Regent Air and Oceania air are not the same.

You are correct that Regent Air and Oceania Air are not run by the same department. We find Regent Air upgrades to Business Class much more reasonable than Oceania.

You can call Regent Air Deviation Dept, pay $175 per guest and arrange flights as far ahead as about 270 days before your cruise (should be a note in your booking confirmation on the actual number of days).

If you don't then Regent will finalize your flight arrangements about 70 days before your departure date.

JimAOK1945,

In answer to your question, I booked Regent air one way for my trip home from Tahiti in mid -February, and upgraded to biz class, and have been given my itinerary for maybe a month now. At my SSS level, I don't have to pay for deviation. My daughter and husband will be joining me, but on regular Regent free air, and they do not have their schedule yet. I hope it will be good, perhaps even on my same flights. But I won't count on it. Nearly impossible to get award seats from Tahiti to east coast on Biz.

I usually use miles for award seats, but have used Regent once in awhile on several cruises.

I have also had lost luggage on one cruise in the past, (NOT regent air) and Regent concierge person onboard ( I was not in a concierge cabin, many years ago there was no such thing) treated me as if I had Regent air. And service could not have been better. They even brought clothes to me to wear at dinner; I assume unclaimed/lost items in the dry cleaning dept. . admit, this was in the Radisson days, but it sure meant a lot at the time! Pretty black top and some elastic waisted swishy black palazzos that saved me!

Edited by jhp

JIMAOK1945 -

Yes, normally Regent does not confirm and book the air until around 70 days out unless you pay the deviation fee to lock in flights sooner. So you would not know your flights until 70 - 60 days out if you just wait to see what they book for you. Once you know the flights if you don't like them, you can consider then calling the air department and see what else they might be able to offer, but then you would have to pay the deviation fee and possibly an upcharge.

As I said in my post, when we use Regent air, I do some research on flights, airline, and times, then call as early as I can to see if Regent can book my preferred flights or what options they can offer........its well worth the deviation fee as far as we are concerned.

By the way, when you book air thru Regent, you can accrue miles if they book you on an airline where you are a participant in their mileage program, i.e, United. You have to get your record locator and call or go online to the airline and input your mileage number yourself though.

jhp;43569783

Thanks so much for your detailed, and helpful, responses. I didn't realize there was so much difference in flight arrangements, especially for trips overseas. Wow!

One question that maybe you or someone else can answer. I noticed there are different codes used for Business Class. Is there a big difference? Is one better than another? Is it to designate where the seat is located?

Edited by JimAOk1945

jhp;43569783

Thanks so much for your detailed, and helpful, responses. I didn't realize there was so much difference in flight arrangements, especially for trips overseas. Wow!

One question that maybe you or someone else can answer. I noticed there are different codes used for Business Class. Is there a big difference? Is one better than another? Is it to designate where the seat is located?

The different codes within a particular class of service such as Business have nothing to do with the seats. They generally differentiate between refundable vs non refundable, amount of FF points, changeable, consolidator, etc. These differences apply to domestic as well as international flights. The best way to see the differences is to Google a particular airline and see what applies to the different codes. While some codes will be the same on different airlines, some won't be the same.

It truly is a mysterious series of codes but, you can always see what the codes mean by searching. Too many codes and differences to post here. This applies to economy, economy plus, business, first, etc. for all flights.