Ferry Boat not Queen

Jimsgirl

HI peppern, all Cunard ships do call at Hamburg. QE visited even my local harbour in 2012 an QV calls regulary at Rostock Warnemunde.
Hi cunardaddict,

Yes, I know they do at present. My hope is that this will stop (I can dream... )

None of this cruises is sold cheap. I paid the normal price per day as on any other Cunard Journey.
I've no doubt you did.

However the OP knows that the passengers who embarked at Hamburg on this cruise, bought their tickets cheaply ("ridiculously low prices").

Furthermore that the Cunard cruises which will call at Hamburg over the next eighteen months, will be sold very cheaply.

She obviously has very recent on-board experience and has clearly seen marketing material that backs up her claim, that you and I haven't seen.

AIDA is a completely different cruise style ...
Yes, I know. But a cruise style (language, dress-code, queuing, entertainment etc) that many who embark in Hamburg seem to prefer. I have the evidence of my own eyes (QM2 June '14), and we all have the reports (posts 1, 4, 15, 16, 21, 22) in this thread. Carnival will still get the money in the end, whether passengers book with Cunard or AIDA. Edited by pepperrn

Really?

David.

You may be suprised but this risk is true.

If you fail to understand the orders by a texan (and who does, if not local?) police officer who stopped your car and you are not prepared to control your body movements according to his requirements you may be shot.

If someone in Florida doesn't like your face he might decide that you are a risk and will shoot you in order to prevent any probable risk to him, his family or his belongings. That is legal and does happen.

This will never be a risk to you travelling in Germany even if you don't understand a word as personal weapons are illegal and police will never shoot first if not threated at gunpoint and never before giving a last warning.

Even our criminals do not kill as a habit.

Peppern, I never doubted that this cruise was a most disturbing experience to the few international passengers of the Northern Europe excursion from Hamburg. There is no excuse for inadequate behaviour of the regional passengers.

It is pretty obvious that this experience spoiled the whole cruise of many passengers and this is certainly an issue that Cunard should address immediately. But at no point anyone here has the right to tell citizens of another nation to better stay away and use other cruise lines assuming that they might be a better fit.

Cunard cruises are not sold on the last page of tabloid papers in Germany as they are in UK.

Norwegian Fjords leaving Hamburg on August 7th starts at 999 EUR p.p for 11 nights. This is certainly not really expensive but for most Germans by far too much to pay. Balcony starts from 1.499 EUR, 3.000 EUR for a couple...

Btw: single supplement on this cruise is only 20%!

It's encouraging for once that Jimsgirl didn't get the more usual reaction for anyone complaining about any aspect of the Cunard flagship, probably because of the other posters with the same experience.

The suggestion "stop sailing on QM2" is no help to the OP or to many others who want to sail with Cunard and get the same cruise experience as they have had for many years. Clearly not so in this case.

Ironically QM2 is probably not the first choice of the German 2000. They would be happier on one of the floating theme parks and were obviously attracted by the rock bottom prices.

We owe a thanks to Jimsgirl for raising this issue.

David.

You may be suprised but this risk is true.

If you fail to understand the orders by a texan (and who does, if not local?) police officer who stopped your car and you are not prepared to control your body movements according to his requirements you may be shot.

If someone in Florida doesn't like your face he might decide that you are a risk and will shoot you in order to prevent any probable risk to him, his family or his belongings. That is legal and does happen.

This will never be a risk to you travelling in Germany even if you don't understand a word as personal weapons are illegal and police will never shoot first if not threated at gunpoint and never before giving a last warning.

Even our criminals do not kill as a habit.

Wow!

I'm not keen on their gun laws but I've holidayed frequently in America and shared their company on board cruise ships.

Only once have I been nervous. We got lost somewhere in the backstreets of Miami.

Other than that I've felt safe in America and found Americans to be very welcoming, helpful and great company.

... But at no point anyone here has the right to tell citizens of another nation to better stay away and use other cruise lines...
I did not say that any nationality should be told to "stay away". Anyone could travel (by sea, rail or air) to Southampton and board Cunard ships bound for Norway if they wish to enjoy the Cunard atmosphere, should Cunard avoid Hamburg on cruises in future (my wish :) ).
Btw: single supplement on this cruise is only 20%!
And you still think that these cruises aren't being sold any cheaper than in the UK or North America? (Where the supplement usually starts at 75%) :confused: Edited by pepperrn

Wow!

I'm not keen on their gun laws but I've holidayed frequently in America and shared their company on board cruise ships.

Only once have I been nervous. We got lost somewhere in the backstreets of Miami.

Other than that I've felt safe in America and found Americans to be very welcoming, helpful and great company.

So do I - but I wanted to give another view. And I do prepare myself before travelling in order to accomplish the expectations of the visited country.

Ironically QM2 is probably not the first choice of the German 2000. They would be happier on one of the floating theme parks and were obviously attracted by the rock bottom prices.

David.

How will you know?

For many people in many civilized country a cruise on QM2 is an experience more adorable than any other trip.

Unfortunately too many of them, may they be Germans, British, Australians or US do not comply to the general expectations in attitude. They "paid for it so they demand the right to use" - a very US-originating attitude.

It is in way irritating that not the English complain most (who generally are the most polite people of the western culture) but the US who really do not resemble much sympathy in the world when abroad.

Still I agree fully with Jimsgirls dissapointment and I do recommend that anyone who felt this dissapointment might urge Cunard to react. But this forum is not a place to solve this issue.

And you still think that these cruises aren't being sold any cheaper than in the UK or North America? (Where the supplement usually starts at 75%) :confused:

Single cruise tickets are lesser demanded in Germany. Who knows better than US people how prices are calculated?

The average monthly pension of a German is 1.200 EURO. Very few pensioneers can afford a trip on QM2 - and if they will be very well educated and polite. They should not be the type of passengers you want to sent to AIDA.

OMG balf,

What makes you think that 'they' (the Germans) would be happier on floating theme parks? Don't you think that this is a generalization?

I wonder what they have done to you. Every time someone brings up some story with Germans being in them, you shoot back right away.

It is true that, in general, Germans like to travel and the reason is that, apart from having a rest, they want to broaden their minds by getting deeper into other nationals' culture, and this in tradition of a certain Mr. Goethe.

Cats2010

P.S. I do not expect an answer from your side.

Still I agree fully with Jimsgirls dissapointment and I do recommend that anyone who felt this dissapointment might urge Cunard to react. But this forum is not a place to solve this issue.

I noticed that Cunard generally arranges for 'German' tables at dinner. Having been there, I had some unpleasant experience in the past, so now I always ask for an 'international' table, which usually turns out to be very nice, and, insofar, I understand jimsgirl.

HOWEVER, I had to cancel my long awaited QM2 cruise to the Mildford Sound of New Zealand, knowing that certain (non-German) nationals will embark and again impose their culture on her as they did in 2013, by representing about 1/3 of the passengers. It hurt me to see how my beautiful ship was changed.

You see, jimsgirl and others, that kind of people exists anywhere across the world.

Cats2010

I wonder what they have done to you. Every time someone brings up some story with Germans being in them, you shoot back right away.

The OP experience involved Germans. That's a fact. I have no bad feelings re Germans or any other nationality. Where you got that idea from I have no idea.

The way Cunard is heading the next report could involve Brits Or some other nationality.

Maybe you should think of being a little less touchy.

David.

The OP experience involved Germans. That's a fact. I have no bad feelings re Germans or any other nationality. Where you got that idea from I have no idea.

The way Cunard is heading the next report could involve Brits Or some other nationality.

Maybe you should think of being a little less touchy.

David.

If you use less generalizations, I will be less touchy. :p

It is true that, in general, Germans like to travel and the reason is that, apart from having a rest, they want to broaden their minds by getting deeper into other nationals' culture, and this in tradition of a certain Mr. Goethe.

Ah, most of the mentioned passengers wouldn't even know how to spell his name. They are rather motivated by US soap operas and celebrity journals than looking for cultural input.

In fact, there is not much cultural input available on a Cunard ship if you are not interested in WWII history in the view of same aged warrior or low level stage shows. Only meeting of passengers really broadens my mind - and that really makes the difference to any other cruise line.

...In the elevator I was pushed away, so a group of friends could get on, I did manage to squeeze in, but when I went to push the button for my deck, my hand was grabbed, and I was told (in German accented English) "YOU WILL WAIT UNTIL WE LEAVE" even though the elevator would reach my deck before theirs!...

How absolutely awful! What was the response from the security about this incident?

My husband & I were on your trip also. We did ny to ny and were looking forward to it for almost a year. We were a little concerned with the hamburg stops before we left but couldn't of dreamed how upsetting it turned out. We were concerned about the smoking - we have had problems with this in the past not even being able to use our balcony. we heard qm2 was for the most part smoke free at least in staterooms so thought it would be better.

Well obviously everyone didn't get the no smoking message that I thought we all had to sign off on?? Not only were my neighbors smoking in their cabin some tried smoking in the theatre. I wouldn't of believed it if I didn't see it. We were sitting waiting for the show to start & I told my husband I smell smoke. I had been going crazy with the smoke for more than a week & my husband was getting a little annoyed with me. I seemed to be smelling smoke everywhere I went. So when I mentioned it in the theatre he was like smoking is never allowed in the theatre. I think he thought I was loosing it until I turned around a saw 2 men smoking as happy as could be about 4 rows back. I forgot I was a lady and got my "Brooklyn on" as my husband tells me when I get upset with people. I turned around as said are you kidding me there is no smoking allowed in here. Put that out. They looked at me and just stared at me. A nice lady by me said miss I don't think they understand you. I snapped at her don't be ridiculous they all speak English. I did apologize later to her but I was done. Someone had gone to get help & when they saw a waitress walk toward us they threw their cigarette into their drink.

I didn't let things ruin our trip but I did have some things that annoyed me. I don't begrudge people getting a better deal than me. What upsets me is peoples attitude and behavior that affect my holiday. One night the comedian on board talked about in the US we wait on lines, UK you Queue & that Germans don't seem to have a word for it. I believe that says it all !

We will definitely be mindful with our future trips.

QM2 is still our favorite ship. We met some wonderful people & loved Hamberg !

We already booked our holiday for next summer. Let the countdown begin ;)

Kerry

How absolutely awful! What was the response from the security about this incident?

Zero, first because there would have been no point reporting it, and second because security are not there to police rude behaviour.

You got to turn the other cheek.

David.

In fact, there is not much cultural input available on a Cunard ship if you are not interested in WWII history in the view of same aged warrior or low level stage shows.

What I mean are presentations under the "enrichment" heading.

Kerry--I love your expression about getting your "Brooklyn on." I'm originally from NY and do occasionally have a similar reaction when really annoyed, much to my husband's chagrin (he's from New England). The smoking situation sounds truly awful. Apparently Germany is one of the countries where there is not an outright ban on smoking, at least in restaurants and bars; smoking policies are mainly at the state rather than national level there. Here's a summary of EU countries' smoking policies as of 2011, but I think there have been some changes since then. http://ec.europa.eu/health/tobacco/docs/tobacco_overview2011_en.pdf The U.S. was so far ahead in protecting non-smokers, at least for a number of years, that we got spoiled. :D

Germany is a non-smoking in public rooms and restaurants country for 5 years now. Smoking in theatres was banned for more than 50 years. I doubt very much that these people really were Germans as this is a provocating behaviour not typically German. As they didn't even understand any English at all they must have originated further east where such ignorance is quiet common.

... In fact, there is not much cultural input available on a Cunard ship if you are not interested in WWII history in the view of same aged warrior ...
Are you being serious, or having a laugh :confused: Thanks for your help. Edited by pepperrn

Germany is a non-smoking in public rooms and restaurants country for 5 years now. Smoking in theatres was banned for more than 50 years. I doubt very much that these people really were Germans as this is a provocating behaviour not typically German. As they didn't even understand any English at all they must have originated further east where such ignorance is quiet common.

Wow! That one certainly covered all the bases.