Ferry Boat not Queen

Jimsgirl

Wow!

I'm not keen on their gun laws but I've holidayed frequently in America and shared their company on board cruise ships.

Only once have I been nervous. We got lost somewhere in the backstreets of Miami.

Other than that I've felt safe in America and found Americans to be very welcoming, helpful and great company.

Thank you, frenchmartiniplease.

We do not have a homogeneous society in the US. We have our faults and flaws. But, there is good in our 50 states as well as problems.

CC boards are a great place to exchange information---not throw barbs.

Like cunardaddict, I find the opportunities to meet and learn from passengers--particularly people from different countries--- a highlight of every voyage.

Traveling in different countries has also been a joy for DH and me. I'm happy to hear you were well-treated visiting my homeland.

We recently sailed on the above mentioned voyage (Southampton/Hamburg/Stavanger/Hamburg/Southampton...13th July to 21st July)

A highlight was meeting Jimsgirl in Sir Samuels as we took a light breakfast there most mornings. Our claim to fame was that we did introduce her to "Spanish Bread" (ha-ha) and enjoyed a laugh and interesting chats with her, so hope we meet her again on subsequent voyages.

As for the voyage we always enjoy the superb ship. We agree with most of the posts .Queen Mary 2 deserves much better.

Perhaps Cunard are in the position of wandering how to compete with the hundreds of ships plying for business, when they have this unique ocean liner ((..ie.. what should we do with her when not crossing the Atlantic or on a World Voyage)). Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth don't have the same problem.

Thank you for reading our post, hope you have made some sense of it.

Lyn & Dave

Good evening everyone.

I've read this thread with interest having undertaken a similar itinerary in late May and early June: we were on a Southampton to Southampton roundtrip which called at Zeebrugge, Hamburg, five ports in Norway and then Hamburg again. This 13 day cruise also comprised three shorter itineraries which enabled the ship to turn around significant numbers of passengers in Hamburg on each occasion. Furthermore, our trip was in fact part of a longer one marketed as a "Grand Voyage" which began and ended with a transatlantic crossing.

Overall, I felt our cruise this time lacked a unique identity of its own, which was borne out by repeat information in the daily programme and repeat "headline performers" (which didn't really bother us as we rarely go to the shows). However, having been prepared for a change of atmosphere/experience we still enjoyed our time away and must say that we were fortunate not to witness any rudeness or bad behaviour on the part of any passengers, regardless of nationality (apart from a funny incident involving a free table in Sir Samuel's which wasn't really free because someone had apparently sat down first only to get up again but not leave any evidence that they were actually sitting there....)

In view of our experience and having read this thread I would certainly think very carefully about undertaking a similar itinerary in future but I wouldn't discount it altogether - my partner and I really enjoy visiting Germany so would definitely be interested if the right combination of ports was offered, perhaps on QE, which is our favourite ship.

For anyone interested in reading my view of our experience, you can find it here:

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=257902

It is rather long but I have sub-divided it into headings and if you like, you can just skip to my thoughts on the "impact of the itinerary" and the ports.

I have read through this thread with some interest as we are booked on QM2 in May 2015. Since it is a Transatlantic voyage I do not expect the experience will be the same. While we do not regularly sail on Cunard, we have in the past and being a Nova Scotian by birth (and I continue to be one in my heart) I feel a tie to Cunard.

I do not want to comment on the above writings, as of course I cannot not since I was not there to experience what others have.

I do have a question to those who were - have you communicated with Cunard or Carnival about your concerns? It is good to post on CC so that others can be made aware and still others can realize they were not alone in their perceptions. But that may not be enough.

I am not here to judge anyone but as a Carnival Shareholder I think the company should be made aware of the issues. The company has to make choices to remain profitable. And those choices (we hope) should be based at least in part on valid feedback from us the customer.

Yes I have written to Angus Struthers, but frankly I do not expect a reply, judging from that which other posters in the past have written.

I have also informed my agent with whom I had booked another cruise in Sept already before this last one. She spoke with her liaison at Cunard, who pretended not to know that Cunard did these 2/3/4 day cruises. Later this staffer claimed it was a "one time deal"

This is a lie. I was able to supply future dates to the agent covering all three ships from now until December 2015, as anyone on the ship will be able to tell you, the Future Sales office were selling these "short breaks" on board.

Nor is it a case of filling empty cabins in order not to suffer financial loss, this is a deliberate sales policy, selling cheap 2 day trips as far ahead as 18 MONTHS

Understand I have absolutely no problem with offering a set % of sampler cruises to attract First Time Cunard passengers, we all have to start somewhere, but July 13-July 21it was not say 2-5% , it was OVER 2,000 passengers each time , that is more like 98%.

We might as well have been on an ALL German ship. There was also the problem that this 98% of cruisers were offered these cruises at ridiculously low cost, attracting passengers who had no interest in "cruising" or "Cunard as an experience ", they only wanted "rock bottom cheap". and behaved accordingly.

We -the normal Cunard cruisers -were treated as "outsiders" to be "pushed around" if we happened to get in their way.

In the MDR for instance , it is normal at breakfast and lunch to wait in line for the Maitre D' to allocate a table.

Not so on this trip,- they simply ignored the main entrance , came in the side entrances, in groups, and sat down at any table they chose, because of this meals blatant bad behavior were chaos, service delayed, and I have never seen passengers order so many dishes at the one time.

Although I did not eat in Kings Court, I did hear complaints that , they piled their plates so high they overflowed. A dinner table companion told how she - over 80- placed her bag and stick on a table in order to be able to go to the food counter, came back to find bag and stick on the floor , her table occupied by these cheap trippers.

Civilized Cunard passengers do not behave in this manner.

Jimsgirl, I am sorry, you had such a bad time, especially as I enjoy your posts and input quite a lot.

Nevertheless to attribute the reason for the bad experience to the notion that the nationality of the majority of the guest was "German" is offensive.

The failure of Cunard is not to attract Germans but to try to gain new passengers who have no interest inor now idea about traditional cruising and the Cunard of old.

Yet this happens unfortunately in other countries, too. On this board we have read similiar reports about short trips from New York or around Australia.

selling cheap 2 day trips as far ahead as 18 MONTHS

There was also the problem that this 98% of cruisers were offered these cruises at ridiculously low cost,

these cheap trippers.

How do you know how much the German guests paid?

Actually this short trips are relative expensive. Prices for 2 nights started at € 440 p.p, i.e. € 220 or about $ 300 per night and person in an inside cabin double occupancy.

You are right, it is a "deliberate sales policy", yet not "cheap" but to extract a per diem rate from an audience that accepts to pay more than which can be achieved on other cruises. Cunard certainly makes a lot of money from these Germans.

I hope you have met some nice Germans on your many cruises, too. Cunard has been popular with Germans for many years. Popular with Germans, that is, who enjoy the "traditional Cunard style" as much as you do. Germans who have sailed hundreds or thousands of days with Cunard, who miss the days of ships like the Vistafjord/Caronia and Queen Elizabeth 2. (Formalit, service level, qualit, personality ...)

Unfortunately we all know that Cunard (resp. Carnival) does not care much about its traditional customers.

Just looking at the list of German guest speakers Cunard puts on, shows that they aim for a different audience. Think of strange comedians and soap opera stars instead of classical musicians, historians or similiar.

Or take the pictures in the brochures: I do not know about the American ones but in this years German one not one photo from the Britannia restaurants shows men in tuxedos/dinner jackets but only in suits.

Indeed as much as I would love to sail from Hamburg onboard a Cunard ship, reports like yours as well as the way Cunard advertises at least the short trips do threathen me.

Edited by carlmm

I am sorry Calmm if you felt I was offensive, I was in fact stating "fact"

I did speak in English to German passengers, who were are incensed as I was at the really HUGE number of German passengers on board 2,000 on July 13 , another 2,000 on July 15, and another change of 2,000 July 19.

The family I spoke with told me that Cunard had mounted a deliberate campaign to attract those who wanted a really "cheap

trip" in fact they had paid equivalent of $65 pp per day for the 2 day trip , (part of the 8 days July 13-21)

In USA where it was sold as regular 8 day cruise I had to pay over $350 per day for my lowest grade inside cabin.

Normally the mix of passengers on board the ship would have made for an interesting voyage. This time there was so few "normal" cruisers on board it made for disharmony.

We live in NYC. Many lines run one and two night trips from here, we call them booze cruises. They are not cheap and I expect the line makes lots of money from them. I suspect if lots of people wanted the old Cunard experience it would not be a US company now. I do not think Germans are such a barbaric lot. We cruise on the Europa 2 with 90% Germans onboard and it blows away Cunard in each and every way.

I would suggest that the issue is pricing not nationality. There was a sizeable German group on my last TA (though nothing like the percentage of the overall capacity Jimsgirl and her fellow cruisers experienced), most of whom were on a trip organised/associated with Die Zeit. My impression was that they were mostly rather more respectful of the ship's traditions than many of the UK/US passengers, certainly in issues of evening dress and general decorum. There were a number of activities and lectures in German which didn't interfere with the overall programme. Speaking a little German I went to one in the theatre by an artist who created and explained his process during an hour long presentation. It was fascinating and the audience far more animated,involved and interested than many of the 'usual' audiences with people wandering in and out at will.

The real problem is that selling at rock bottom prices whether on the infamous short booze cruises or to certain sectors on a given trip but not others promotes clashing expectations of what the cruise will be like which cannot be reconciled. We go round and round in circles about selling off unsold cabins for a song at the last minute rather than sailing half full but it does appear that the price discrimination is more targeted than that. Despite what is written and said about German passengers being charged high prices, I can only say that I had a personal example in Summer 2010 when, wishing to take a Westbound TA from Southampton to New York it was cheaper for me to book from Hamburg (despite being on board an extra two nights!) than from S'ton. I'm sure that this isn't always the case but such price differentials defy belief if not an attempt to price one sector out of the market in favour of another.

Like many others have reported, we experienced the same rude behavior on our return crossing from Hamburg in June. We had spent several days in Hamburg prior to our departure, and the people we met in the city of Hamburg were almost always very friendly and courteous. However, the German speaking people we encountered on the QM2 were the antithesis of those we met in the city. Sadly, we plan to avoid any crossing that are preceeded by a leg from Hamburg in the future

Bob

Like many others have reported, we experienced the same rude behavior on our return crossing from Hamburg in June. We had spent several days in Hamburg prior to our departure, and the people we met in the city of Hamburg were almost always very friendly and courteous. However, the German speaking people we encountered on the QM2 were the antithesis of those we met in the city. Sadly, we plan to avoid any crossing that are preceeded by a leg from Hamburg in the future

Bob

I believe we were on the same crossing as Bob.

Our experience was quite different - we were completely unaware until the last day or so that there were German language entertainment options at all, although the dual language announcements were obvious. As first time Cunard passengers we found the experience pretty much as we hoped and did not encounter any rudeness or poor behaviour. We may have been sheltered somewhat by being in Britannia Club (set table for all meals) and not using the Kings Court at all.

Of course I probably should disclose that we hail from one of the other nations mentioned here as an area of 'cut price' marketing by Cunard.:D

I believe we were on the same crossing as Bob.

Our experience was quite different - we were completely unaware until the last day or so that there were German language entertainment options at all, although the dual language announcements were obvious. As first time Cunard passengers we found the experience pretty much as we hoped and did not encounter any rudeness or poor behaviour. We may have been sheltered somewhat by being in Britannia Club (set table for all meals) and not using the Kings Court at all.

Of course I probably should disclose that we hail from one of the other nations mentioned here as an area of 'cut price' marketing by Cunard.:D

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your first voyage on the QM2. Perhaps the fact that this was not our first crossing on the QM2 made us more aware of the behavior on board than someone experiencing their first voyage on the beautiful QM2.

Bob

aaarrrggghh:eek::eek::eek:

I have just booked one of these mini cruises:eek::eek:

Why? Not because it was cheap, although it was, but because I wanted to go aboard the QM2...as a taster to see if I liked her. I enjoy P&O, but was hoping QM2 would have something more to offer in the way of tradition and elegance.

Seems like the experience might put me off for ever!

Is there any way to avoid these marauding hordes, or will I have to stay holed up in my cabin?

Why? Not because it was cheap, although it was, but because I wanted to go aboard the QM2...as a taster to see if I liked her. I enjoy P&O, but was hoping QM2 would have something more to offer in the way of tradition and elegance.

Is there any way to avoid these marauding hordes, or will I have to stay holed up in my cabin?

I've never done one of these. The shortest trip we have been on was a five day on the QE. It was OK but not that brilliant.

My impression is that, for all cruise lines, the short cruises aren't really a way to find out whether you would enjoy a longer one. They seem to be a different beast altogether and, I think, put more of a strain on the staff.

Hopefully you will enjoy your short trip but if you don't please don't let it put you off QM2 - she is a lovely ship.

Edited by CABINET

Don't let it put you off! Make the best job you can of it (it will probably be a whole bunch better than you are now expecting), and then book a "proper" cruise of at least 10-14 days - you will love it.

J

Edited by Cruachan

My fellow citizens do not eat for weeks before they enter a Cunard Steamer. They will eat the kids for dinner and the men for breakfast. Lunch is reserved for the ladies.

Stop - this is only a joke. Better stay away from the buffets and you will be fine. The buffet eaters are terrible.

Don't let the negative reviews put you off but don't discount QM2 if your experience is not as positive as you hoped. I have been on several of these shorter cruises and they are not representative of Cunard at its best in my opinion. They are useful, if you are a first timer for exploring what the ship physically offers (that doesn't change after all) at a low price and, in QM's case, I think the ship herself is very impressive. Try to do an organised tour so you get an idea of all the nooks and crannies and know where to explore on your own. Do bear in mind, whatever your fellow guests are like, that the ambience of a short trip is VERY different from a Transatlantic (where to my mind you experience QM2 at her best) or a longer cruise. You will be lucky if there is one formal night, there will be no Captain's or other organised parties, the entertainment will be much sparser, afternoon tea horribly over crowded (as everyone tries to do it in a day), probably food of a lower standard (due to cheap fares) and the staff generally more stretched and less motivated (tipping is traditionally low on shorter trips). It sounds like a lot of negatives but as long as you don't take the trip as representative of Cunard's best (or even usual to be frank) there is still a lot to enjoy.

Don't let the negative reviews put you off but don't discount QM2 if your experience is not as positive as you hoped. I have been on several of these shorter cruises and they are not representative of Cunard at its best in my opinion. They are useful, if you are a first timer for exploring what the ship physically offers (that doesn't change after all) at a low price and, in QM's case, I think the ship herself is very impressive. Try to do an organised tour so you get an idea of all the nooks and crannies and know where to explore on your own. Do bear in mind, whatever your fellow guests are like, that the ambience of a short trip is VERY different from a Transatlantic (where to my mind you experience QM2 at her best) or a longer cruise. You will be lucky if there is one formal night, there will be no Captain's or other organised parties, the entertainment will be much sparser, afternoon tea horribly over crowded (as everyone tries to do it in a day), probably food of a lower standard (due to cheap fares) and the staff generally more stretched and less motivated (tipping is traditionally low on shorter trips). It sounds like a lot of negatives but as long as you don't take the trip as representative of Cunard's best (or even usual to be frank) there is still a lot to enjoy.
Wise words, well said. Thank you, missfrankiecat :) . Edited by pepperrn

I've never done one of these. The shortest trip we have been on was a five day on the QE. It was OK but not that brilliant.

My impression is that, for all cruise lines, the short cruises aren't really a way to find out whether you would enjoy a longer one. They seem to be a different beast altogether and, I think, put more of a strain on the staff.

Hopefully you will enjoy your short trip but if you don't please don't let it put you off QM2 - she is a lovely ship.

A lot of truth there, although I don't quite agree. I think it's the Carnivals, NCL's and Royals that do the short cruises well. A crew can develop a rhythm and get good at offering short cruises if they do it consistently. I think it's more difficult for the mainstream, premium, and luxury lines which work best when doing their norm of getting to know passengers over a longer period of time.

Roy

starryuk, in addition to getting to know the ship (albeit perhaps not in it's best light) - after your short cruise, you'll be a past passenger on Cunard, and thus eligible for past passenger rates on your next (hopefully longer) cruise!:) -S.

Edited by Salacia

A lot of truth there, although I don't quite agree. I think it's the Carnivals, NCL's and Royals that do the short cruises well. A crew can develop a rhythm and get good at offering short cruises if they do it consistently. I think it's more difficult for the mainstream, premium, and luxury lines which work best when doing their norm of getting to know passengers over a longer period of time.

Roy

My apologies. I am only going on what I have heard not my own personal experience.