Ferry Boat not Queen

Jimsgirl

Why the snide remark?

Especially, since it is in response to a mathematical comparison of your own creation.

My post, quoted by you, was in response to one which had expressed the view that a low socioeconomic demographic was attracted by cheap fares.

Based upon that premise, one would have expected to see evidence of such a demographic on my 10 day £499pp cruise.

I did not.

Based on the same premise, given it's higher per diem rate, one could argue that a higher socioeconomic demographic might be on a 3 day £263 cruise.

Germans of all social levels are able to calculate and to decide where to get more value for money. I found that beeing a difference to at least advertisings of many "luxury" services in UK where the absolute figure is used to camouflage lack of service and absence of any luxury.

But if the 3-day-trip was really sold as "kids under 18 free" - which I cannot confirm - then the outcome is clear: A ship full of kids, but certainly not generally of the cheap ones.

Another point is wether Germans consume sufficiently on the Ship. I found that most US passengers drink only the chlorided free tap water at the table. The British order the house wine and the French and Germans go for the better quality - or for a beer or sparkling mineral water, both only available in poor quality on Cunard ships.

Some, if not most US passengers do take cocktails before dinner - wich results in beeing drunk when reaching the table. As we learned here on CC they prefer to bring their own spirits and wine. Now, who's the cheapest?

As we learned here on CC they prefer to bring their own spirits and wine. Now, who's the cheapest?

Where did you acquire this piece of fiction?

You don't follow this board permanently?

"How much spirit/wine can I bring on board?" is certainly the most frequently asked question here.

... I found that most US passengers drink only the chlorided free tap water at the table. The British order the house wine and the French and Germans go for the better quality - or for a beer or sparkling mineral water ... Some, if not most US passengers do take cocktails before dinner - wich results in beeing drunk when reaching the table...
Brilliantly funny :) :D . I was about to say "you couldn't make this stuff up" and then you did !!!

Fantastic.

Thank you for making me laugh this morning and putting a smile on my face.

Are you a naturally funny person, or have you been at the "better quality" Hock already this morning?

Thank you again :)

Edited by pepperrn

Where did you acquire this piece of fiction?

You don't follow this board permanently?

"How much spirit/wine can I bring on board?" is certainly the most frequently asked question here.

You are generalizing!

... Now, who's the cheapest?

Me! I bring a case of bottled water (not wine, not champagne). I've been in too many places where water was more important than anything. So call me cheap, but if you need water, I will share.

Brilliantly funny :) :D . I was about to say "you couldn't make this stuff up" and then you did !!!

Fantastic.

Are you a naturally funny person, or have you been at the "better quality" Hock already this morning?

I was beginning to think that Basil Fawlty was alive and well, and living in Germany (making a few more people have a nervous breakdown.:) )

Fantastic.

Nah, it's a dry contribution. We have a serious heat wave for weeks now and during that a don't drink anything but sparkling water. And I had to bring my Mercer to garage because the A/C failed...

It was a nice couple from Philly sharing the table with us in QG. I had to assist the head waiter in helping them to sit down for dinner after we had cocktails in the lounge. When the Sommelier came with the wine list she barely managed to say: "Oh, no! We don't drink at the table."

We used to sit at the bar in the lounge every evening...

Oh, no, don't mention Basil. He's dead, you know? Siberian hamsters don't live more that 27 years. Quite sad, really - but Basil lived a fine life, didn't he - by the sea. <sigh>

Basil is in the rat-atouille:D

... It was a nice couple from Philly sharing the table with us in QG ...
Ah, so, you've actually been on a Cunard ship then. I was beginning (understandably :confused: ) to wonder.

So based on one couple, on one voyage, you've decided that a whole nation gets drunk before dinner on cocktails. Thank goodness they were still "nice".

Ah, so, you've actually been on a Cunard ship then. I was beginning (understandably :confused: ) to wonder.

So based on one couple, on one voyage, you've decided that a whole nation gets drunk before dinner on cocktails. Thank goodness they were still "nice".

Oh peppern, it wad just a funny story of things that happen in a life. They did nothing wrong and I have no reason to assume that their habits have representing a general habit of a nation. Did you notice my comment on them beeing a nice couple?

... They did nothing wrong and I have no reason to assume that their habits have representing a general habit of a nation. ...
... Some, if not most US passengers do take cocktails before dinner - wich results in beeing drunk when reaching the table ...
... Edited by pepperrn

Exactly. "Some, if not most US passengers (...on a Cunard ship where I was on board...)..."

This does not imply that a whole nation gets drunk before dinner, even when this idea is supported by many Hollywood-movies.

"The Germans" don't travel naked. Some do - like some US in the SF area as well.

Well we are well into the "silly season" now so I suppose any fiction is acceptable. Let's blame it on the heat!!

Some posters should stop digging.

David.

Oy, don't talk to me about digging...something about a dry well in my garden not draining properly. I could have sailed half way around the world for the price of drainage in my garden! So yes I should stop digging!!!

I have to agree with the poster who suggested that it was extremely deceptive of Cunard to sell one experience to one group of people whilst advertising a completely different experience to a different group on the same ship at the same time.

I was one of the people who had booked last year's QM2 "rock" cruise. There was no mention of it in any of the literature published by Cunard in the UK. Only their German web site indicated the nature of the trip to Oslo and back from Hamburg. Thanks to the good people on Cruise critic I was warned about it in advance, but after I had booked. Initially, I decided to remain on the cruise with the thought that I could avoid the worst of the rock experience by going to the Queen's room in the evenings. Then I learned that a second “rock” band had been booked to service it for the 4 nights. Cunard also sent me literature to the effect that the formal evenings were cancelled and that for this cruise jeans would be acceptable. After many sleepless nights I decided to cancel my cruise. Thanks to the sterling efforts of my TA (5 hours talking to various management levels in Miami) I had my cruise changed to the QE (for a fee). It was a wonderful experience and I am grateful to the German Cruise critic posters who advised on this. Had I travelled on the QM2, I am sure I would never have returned to Cunard. I believe Cunard must start running these cruises as cheap non Cunard style cruises with the appropriate warnings on both sides of the channel, or revert to form and run only Cunard quality cruises. Sad to state that in the meantime it is best to avoid all Cunard QM2 cruises that have Hamburg as part of their itinerary. I still hope to sail on QM2 some day in a non transatlantic capacity, until then Celebrity has won my hard earned cash.

Oy, don't talk to me about digging...something about a dry well in my garden not draining properly. I could have sailed half way around the world for the price of drainage in my garden! So yes I should stop digging!!!

You may hit an oil well! Never give up and don't drink the water of the Lake Erie.

Having spent many months in southern Germany in the 1960's I found that

most Germans I met did appear to be somewhat standoffish and in a small way anti British. Then I discovered that when I made an effort to speak German their attitude changed and they became very sociable and friendly.

May I suggest learning a few phrases, such as, good morning, thank you, hello, and excuse me etc, you will then find most of them will start to speak English as they love to practice.

I also found that a few other short phrases such as, excuse me there is a queue, or excuse me stop pushing it will mostly stop the more ignorant ones in their tracks as they will assume your also a German.

I am far from being able to speak other languages to any great extent, but have, when visiting another country made an effort to learn a few basic words and phrases. This can go a long way towards breaking the ice.

Having spent many months in southern Germany in the 1960's I found that

most Germans I met did appear to be somewhat standoffish and in a small way anti British. Then I discovered that when I made an effort to speak German their attitude changed and they became very sociable and friendly.

May I suggest learning a few phrases, such as, good morning, thank you, hello, and excuse me etc, you will then find most of them will start to speak English as they love to practice.

I also found that a few other short phrases such as, excuse me there is a queue, or excuse me stop pushing it will mostly stop the more ignorant ones in their tracks as they will assume your also a German.

I am far from being able to speak other languages to any great extent, but have, when visiting another country made an effort to learn a few basic words and phrases. This can go a long way towards breaking the ice.

That is 55 years ago and 15 years after WW2...

Oh, Indeed our friends from eastern Germany have a tradition of beeing very informal in a spa.

Btw.: do you wear a burkini when taking a bath? SCNR because I cannot understand the US attitude towards body issues. Just look away when you don't like what you see. A lot of views that I have when I look at US people are not to my liking, but I wouldn't make Cunard responsible.

I personally don't care if they want to run around naked but it's only common courtesy to respect the rules of your environment. If we all did exactly as we pleased....that would be one ugly ship. :)

I don't have a clue what SCNR is.