Freedom of the Seas drydock

OK, so I searched for GPS location and found her still 2hrs and 15 mind from Falmouth. Doing my math, she has averaged 18knots from Coco can to Falmouth. She is 2 hrs an 15 mins from Port (31 nm), and based on those numbers, she will be averaging around 14 knots.

Here is a screen shot of the info. Someone tell me if my math is wrong.[ATTACH]339113[/ATTACH]

Hello! My name is Kevin.

Thanks for that.

I don't know why some forum members think I'm making this up. Check out my posting history; I'm a long time lurker but minimal poster. The posted Twitter/Instagram photo shows the wake 1/4 mile behind thew ship where the prop wash has merged. I just took a photo this morning that shows 2 distinct prop wash trails. Due to some of the nuts on this forum, I will not post my Twitter account. Is there an easy way to post a photo without setting up an online photo sharing account?

Going back to Freeport instead of doing the two day cruise just wouldn't work. Opening a pod to repair will require at least 7 days (including docking, pumping the dock, repairs, pumping dock, undocking) as was shown for the Allure (10 days if I remember, to do her pods, though that required the cofferdams in the dock).

As I remember it, Allure sailed for Freeport on Sunday after unloading from the just finished cruise and was back in the water moving either the next Friday night or Saturday morning. The only reason I remember the timing so well is we were on the first cruise after the repair and I was biting my nails all week thinking the ship would not be ready.

Thanks for all the great information!:)

I don't know why some forum members think I'm making this up. Check out my posting history; I'm a long time lurker but minimal poster. The posted Twitter/Instagram photo shows the wake 1/4 mile behind thew ship where the prop wash has merged. I just took a photo this morning that shows 2 distinct prop wash trails. Due to some of the nuts on this forum, I will not post my Twitter account. Is there an easy way to post a photo without setting up an online photo sharing account?

I think what's happening here is people are going into panic mode based on minimal information. The fact that we are all on land without the ability to ask anyone, or have conversations like you can with the Captain and Engineer is just leading to more fear and more speculation. I appreciate your updates as I am sailing in just over a week. As long as the ship is moving (which I am confident she will be!) I will be on her enjoying the warm Caribbean sunshine :):)

I think everyone believes you - people are trying to figure out what happens next. You are on your cruise, ours are all now up in the air. I fly out in three days and others the following week. people are concerned their trips will be cancelled or interrupted. Others can just say go with the flow, but that is not everyone's personality, nor is everyone in the same situation in terms of just rescheduling their trip if theirs is not happening.

I would be real interested in knowing how that works out for you.

I'd be REALLY surprised anyone you could talk to on the phone In Miami even knows the problem exists!

Anyone you talk to in Miami might not only deny that the problem exists but they might even deny that RCI has a ship named Freedom of the Seas.

I think everyone believes you - people are trying to figure out what happens next. You are on your cruise, ours are all now up in the air. I fly out in three days and others the following week. people are concerned their trips will be cancelled or interrupted. Others can just say go with the flow, but that is not everyone's personality, nor is everyone in the same situation in terms of just rescheduling their trip if theirs is not happening.

You are right - not everyone is programmed to go with the flow.....I understand your anxiety :o My advice is to enjoy the next few days leading up to your cruise with excitement and anticipation - you will have a great time! :D

Anyone you talk to in Miami might not only deny that the problem exists but they might even deny that RCI has a ship named Freedom of the Seas.

Ha ha ha!!! Thanks for my morning chuckle :p Now I need to get away from these boards and head to the shower.

You can add sparkly clean to the list :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You are right - not everyone is programmed to go with the flow.....I understand your anxiety :o My advice is to enjoy the next few days leading up to your cruise with excitement and anticipation - you will have a great time! :D

Sunday evening and Monday I'll be watching every post by someone coming off this weeks' cruise. I do have the luxury of a longer wait, though my final payoff is approaching. No thoughts of canceling though.

chengkp, thank you for your informative posts. It is always nice hearing from another engineer in their area of expertize.

A couple of questions for you: 1) Is there any way they can brake the shaft to prevent the windmilling? 2) I believe the prop blades are fixed pitched, so they can not feather the prop, is that correct? 3) Is it possible for them to ops-check the pods in drydock, or do they have to be submerged to do operational checks?

Thanks!

Wouldn't that cause more drag on the ship than letting the prop turn?

Edit: Never mind, this has already been addressed.

Edited by Ocean Boy

And she left Coco Cay on time at 5. I think the telling sail will be between Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

I'm boarding the ship on Sunday so Im a little more anxious to see if Freedom can make the run from Cozumel to Canaveral in under 34 hours.

-Sean

I would be one of those people.

Ha ha ha!!! Thanks for my morning chuckle :p Now I need to get away from these boards and head to the shower.

You can add sparkly clean to the list :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Added.

I can go with the flow as long as there is a flow to go with :D I hate to be so repetitive in this thread but Im serious when i say I dont care where we go as long as we go! A cancellation would certainly suck because of what you said in your last sentence though. It could possibly be another year before I cruise if this one doesnt happen :o

It is what it is. I cannot change what is. I will look forward to whatever FOS brings us.

One thing that is kind of bothersome to me is some of the posts people have made like: I've been to those islands many time so I don't care if we don't go. or so what if our itinerary is changed or we are delayed.

Some have never been to these islands. I personally have been to these islands. Some have saved money and vacation hours to have a dream vacation. I am retired so I am on vacation everyday.

The only point I am making is the questionable propulsion problem is a big deal for some.

Sorry for my rant. Have a super day! :)

It is what it is. I cannot change what is. I will look forward to whatever FOS brings us.

One thing that is kind of bothersome to me is some of the posts people have made like: I've been to those islands many time so I don't care if we don't go. or so what if our itinerary is changed or we are delayed.

Some have never been to these islands. I personally have been to these islands. Some have saved money and vacation hours to have a dream vacation. I am retired so I am on vacation everyday.

The only point I am making is the questionable propulsion problem is a big deal for some.

Sorry for my rant. Have a super day! :)

There are 3 out of 4 stops on the Western route that I have not been to and I still dont care if we make it or not. :) I dont even care if we have 6 sea days with only a stop at Nassau to satisfy whatever that act is called. :o (PVSA?)

With that said, I do not cruise for the ports. Im probably off the ship 2 hours at most. I do realize that others are not like me though and really hate it for those that MAY be effected by the problem. I do realize its a big deal for some.

Hopefully all this is much ado about nothing and the problem will be fixed soon with minimal changes to itineraries.

Edited by ryano

Just noticed that I hadn't answered one of Zorba's questions.

They will do "dock trials" and "sea trials", but in this case, no there isn't a way that you want to be swinging that big meat slicer around in the drydock. They would have run the pod at various power settings just outside the port before blessing the repair and getting the ship underway. And, the repair would have been overseen by ABB service engineers supervising the shipyard's machinists, so the fault really would not be on RCI.