Vancover Airport to Canada Place

debnjoe1438

$25-30 for taxi. Maybe 30 minutes.

Public transport may be a little faster or slower depending on traffic, but you either have to pay close to $9 each unless you buy a booklet of 10 tickets for ~$32-35 and you have to walk to another part of the terminal to buy them.

Edited by cruising cockroach

Here are the taxi rates published on the Vancouver Airport website:

"Taxis charge a metered rate based on time and distance. The approximate fare to downtown Vancouver is between $34 - $36 (taxes included). "

In May 2013, my taxi fare from the Vancouver Airport to the cruise terminal (Canada Place) was $40 CDN.

Hello, could someone tell me what is the approximate cost for taxi or other transportation from the airport to the cruise terminal? What's best, quickest way to get from one to the other?

Thanks a bunch:D

Skytrain (elevated/subway) is 4$ + a $5 airport fee (slightly cheaper evenings and weekends) Generally a tad faster than a taxi ($40 ish)

If youre in town for a few days and are sightseeing a book of ten 2-zone transit tickets (incl yvr-downtown) is available for $31.50 from the airport 7-11 located below domestic luggage claim

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Through HAL I purchased tickets for a shuttle that takes you from the airport to Canada Place for $28/person. Probably not the cheapest way to go, but convenient... :cool: I would be surprised if the other cruise lines don't offer the same thing.

Edited by Landlubber54

Through HAL I purchased tickets for a shuttle that takes you from the airport to Canada Place for $28/person. Probably not the cheapest way to go, but convenient... :cool: I would be surprised if the other cruise lines don't offer the same thing.

All the cruise lines off shuttle service, it's a big profit centre for them; $28/person compared with mid $30s for a taxi (for 2-4 people)

For a lot of people, Skytrain at $4/ea ($9 when leaving from YVR) is the bargain to be had. You pay your money and take your choice. Personally I'd rather walk the 3 blocks and save the $30-$40 and buy a nice bottle of wine for dinner. Other people have other priorities

Will using the Sky train when land in YVR on Sept 6th very cheap and easy to use as the train stops right at Canada place which is an easy luggage pull to the cruise ship terminal.......would rather use the money saved on a nice bottle of wine on board.:)

To purchase Sky Train tickets, can I use a credit card? And is there a kiosk or something to purchase the ticket? My hotel is about three blocks from the last stop, and we don't mind walking. Thanks.

Yes you can use a credit card for your ticket. The ticket machine is at the entrance to the station/platform.

Which hotel are you staying at so we can confirm if the last station is the best one?

Cheers!

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

To purchase Sky Train tickets, can I use a credit card? And is there a kiosk or something to purchase the ticket? My hotel is about three blocks from the last stop, and we don't mind walking. Thanks.

If you're going to be using Skytrain for more than one or two rides, it's worth buying a book of 10 tickets from the airport 7-11 (downstairs from domestic baggage carosels), rather than buying single tickets on the platform. The reason is that on single tickets, bought on the platform at YVR; there's a $5/ticket surcharge. If you buy a book of ten 2-zone tickets for $31.50 by comparison just two singles at YVR (9/ea) and two singles back to YVR (4/ea) would be $26. All tickets are good for 90 minutes once validated on all Translink services (Skytrain/Subway, Buses and Seabus). So if you're in town and visiting other attractions, it's good way to do it.

Oh, and yes, the machines (and the 7-11) will take credit cards (and the 7-11 will take US $ cash too)

Edited by scottbee

Yes you can use a credit card for your ticket. The ticket machine is at the entrance to the station/platform.

Which hotel are you staying at so we can confirm if the last station is the best one?

Cheers!

Dennis

Thank you for your answer. We are staying at the Ramada at 435 w. Pender Street.

Bill

If you're going to be using Skytrain for more than one or two rides, it's worth buying a book of 10 tickets from the airport 7-11 (downstairs from domestic baggage carosels), rather than buying single tickets on the platform. The reason is that on single tickets, bought on the platform at YVR; there's a $5/ticket surcharge. If you buy a book of ten 2-zone tickets for $31.50 by comparison just two singles at YVR (9/ea) and two singles back to YVR (4/ea) would be $26. All tickets are good for 90 minutes once validated on all Translink services (Skytrain/Subway, Buses and Seabus). So if you're in town and visiting other attractions, it's good way to do it.

Oh, and yes, the machines (and the 7-11) will take credit cards (and the 7-11 will take US $ cash too)

Thank you for your answer. We will be arriving on Saturday, and catching our cruise on Sunday. Staying near Gastown and have no plans to sightsee. Would like to arrive earlier but scheduling did not permit it.

Bill

Thank you for your answer. We will be arriving on Saturday, and catching our cruise on Sunday. Staying near Gastown and have no plans to sightsee. Would like to arrive earlier but scheduling did not permit it.

Bill

In that case the only change to SBs advice is to point out that you would only need 1 Zone tickets as you're arriving on the weekend. These cost just $21 for a pack of 10 - even if you're not planning to sightsee, you could easily use leftover tickets for a ride across & back on the Seabus so that you can get some photos of downtown Vancouver from a different angle. Or hand them out to fellow cruisers to build karma. Or use them to get back to the airport if you're doing a RT cruise.

And re: UTs query, walking to the Ramada you are best to get off at Waterfront station.

In that case the only change to SBs advice is to point out that you would only need 1 Zone tickets as you're arriving on the weekend. These cost just $21 for a pack of 10 - even if you're not planning to sightsee, you could easily use leftover tickets for a ride across & back on the Seabus so that you can get some photos of downtown Vancouver from a different angle. Or hand them out to fellow cruisers to build karma. Or use them to get back to the airport if you're doing a RT cruise.

And re: UTs query, walking to the Ramada you are best to get off at Waterfront station.

You beat me to it. yes, all of our transit is just one zone evenings (after 6:30p) and weekends.

• 3 months later...
Will cabs take US$?

Most taxis will access US$ but you're not going to get a great exchange rate. That being said, all taxis from the airport accept VISA/MC; and you'll likely get a better rate from your bank than from a taxi driver accepting pieces of paper which are not legal tender.

Will cabs take US$?

Probably, but you should either use a credit card (preferably with no exchange fee like Capital One) or use CAD. USD is NOT legal tender in Canada and service people and small businesses offer to accept it as a convienence, but they still have to go to the time and expense of changing into CAD in order to pay their own bills with it.

As an American who travels, I think it is kind of rude to expect someone in another country to accept American dollars. You should go to an ATM and withdraw $20 or $40 in Canadian dollars and respect the country you are a guest of.

Edited by zephyr17

• 2 weeks later...
Will using the Sky train when land in YVR on Sept 6th very cheap and easy to use as the train stops right at Canada place which is an easy luggage pull to the cruise ship terminal.......would rather use the money saved on a nice bottle of wine on board.:)

Several years ago the skytrain stop for Canada Place was several blocks away - so do I assume there is another stop closer now and if so what is it's name? I will make note of it for my next cruise out of Vancouver.

FYI it does not stop at Canada Place, it is about a two block walk, up a slight incline, in the craziness of a big downtown.

Great way to save money, but to say it stops right at Canada Place is not true, unless they built a new station in the four months since I was there.

Just wanted to give everyone the options.

FYI it does not stop at Canada Place, it is about a two block walk, up a slight incline, in the craziness of a big downtown.

Great way to save money, but to say it stops right at Canada Place is not true, unless they built a new station in the four months since I was there.

Just wanted to give everyone the options.

You're right, the Canada Line of Skytrain from the airport (Skytrain itself is 4 different lines) ends at Waterfront Station; not at Canada Place. However, that's miles closer to the cruise terminal than any other cruise port I can think of with respect to Public Transportation.

If you were a regular reader in here, you would have read that if you exit Waterfront Station using the Granville St exit (marked "Way Out - Granville St") and not gone down the tunnel into the Waterfront station complex, it's a short three block walk, all downhill.

All that being said, it's entirely likely you carried your luggage further through the airport than from Waterfront Station to Canada Place.

• 2 weeks later...
You're right, the Canada Line of Skytrain from the airport (Skytrain itself is 4 different lines) ends at Waterfront Station; not at Canada Place. However, that's miles closer to the cruise terminal than any other cruise port I can think of with respect to Public Transportation.

If you were a regular reader in here, you would have read that if you exit Waterfront Station using the Granville St exit (marked "Way Out - Granville St") and not gone down the tunnel into the Waterfront station complex, it's a short three block walk, all downhill.

All that being said, it's entirely likely you carried your luggage further through the airport than from Waterfront Station to Canada Place.

I am not sure what I did to earn a snarky reply, but I guess this cruise critic and that is the way it goes.

I dip into this section from time to time, but am not a regular here, as my logistics of Vancouver are done and solved, but I enjoy reading.

Let me break a few of your assumptions:

1. I drove to Canada from the San Francisco Bay Area, so the only time I went into the airport was to pick up a relative who flew in from LA.

2. I took a shuttle from the port back to the Richmond hotel where I parked, so I carried my luggage about 100 feet, from the front of the hotel around the side to where my car was parked for the week I was gone. Holiday Inn Express Vancouver Airport has a great park and cruise package.

3. Spending some time downtown post cruise, I spent a lot of time around Canada Place. The substance of my post is still correct: The train does NOT stop at Canada Place. How close it is relative to other cruise ports does not seem to be relevant information.

Alaska cruisers tend to be older,and have to pack more for colder weather... I would hate for one of them to just see this thread and think they step off the ship and can easily walk onto the Canada Line. It is not that simple. I will never understand why some on cruise critic get huffy that just because something has been said once on this board somewhere in one thread, it need not be repeated again, and everyone will do an in depth search before gathering (incorrect) information.

Edited by twindaddy