Mexico Cruise/Verizon/Internet/Cell use, help please

randys

Going Oct 4 on Carnival cruise Mexico, Verizon offers some Mexico package for $15 a month I think, but I have no idea what will be included in that or what the ship has...Trying to discern what the Mexico Verizon option is, well it is very difficult to understand and I would love to talk to someone who has used it.

On the Carnival Miracle, less concerned with using the phone than having access to internet on the ship.

Although would be nice to be able to use phone when we are on land in case our party gets scattered around.

Any info is helpful...

a. does anyone have experience with the Verizon options while on this cruise or for Mexico

b. what kind of internet will be offered on the ship

thanks

ps on this 7 day cruise, am I needing to wear formal clothes with tie each night for dinner? how does that work these days? i have cruised only once, 5 yrs ago/Carnival East Caribbean

Edited by randys

Going Oct 4 on Carnival cruise Mexico, Verizon offers some Mexico package for $15 a month I think, but I have no idea what will be included in that or what the ship has...Trying to discern what the Mexico Verizon option is, well it is very difficult to understand and I would love to talk to someone who has used it.

On the Carnival Miracle, less concerned with using the phone than having access to internet on the ship.

Although would be nice to be able to use phone when we are on land in case our party gets scattered around.

Any info is helpful...

a. does anyone have experience with the Verizon options while on this cruise or for Mexico

b. what kind of internet will be offered on the ship All ships are equipped with internet for the passengers . The cost starts at about $0.75/minute and drops as you buy bigger minute packages. Personally I turn my cellphone off and put it in the safe until I get home. Cost of cell usage on the ship is very pricey.

thanks

ps on this 7 day cruise, am I needing to wear formal clothes with tie each night for dinner? how does that work these days? i have cruised only once, 5 yrs ago/Carnival East Caribbean

You probably will have two formal nights on a 7 day cruise. Otherwise you can wear what is called Resort Casual. No T shirts or shorts on men in the MDR during supper. Basically beach wear isn't acceptable in the MDR for supper.

Edited by Kamloops50

You probably will have two formal nights on a 7 day cruise. Otherwise you can wear what is called Resort Casual. No T shirts or shorts on men in the MDR during supper. Basically beach wear isn't acceptable in the MDR for supper.

thanks, what about my 3 grandsons aged 5 -12 will they need to wear long pants and so on for dinners?

I suppose i could look all this up or call the cruise line...

Edited by randys

Your Verizon cell phone will use by default the ship's cell tower. The cost varies so check with Verizon to see their latest prices. It will be around $2.49/minute voice calls, $.50/text message sent and $.05/test received. You can put your smart phone into WiFi mode for using internet services but you have to buy time from the ship. It requires signing in every time you want to use it and signing out when finished or you will be charged. The costs for using the ship's cell tower will show up on your home cellular bill as the cell tower is provided by a third party and Carnival has nothing to do with it. They are required to turn the cell tower off when within 12 miles of a port.

Once in a Mexican port, you will be using a Mexican cell tower and what Verizon is trying to sell you would work.

A 7 day cruise has two elegant nights where pants and a button shirt with collar is required for men. All other nights are casual where jeans, tshirts, shorts etc are accepted.

Your Verizon cell phone will use by default the ship's cell tower. The cost varies so check with Verizon to see their latest prices. It will be around $2.49/minute voice calls, $.50/text message sent and $.05/test received. You can put your smart phone into WiFi mode for using internet services but you have to buy time from the ship. It requires signing in every time you want to use it and signing out when finished or you will be charged. The costs for using the ship's cell tower will show up on your home cellular bill as the cell tower is provided by a third party and Carnival has nothing to do with it. They are required to turn the cell tower off when within 12 miles of a port.

Once in a Mexican port, you will be using a Mexican cell tower and what Verizon is trying to sell you would work.

A 7 day cruise has two elegant nights where pants and a button shirt with collar is required for men. All other nights are casual where jeans, tshirts, shorts etc are accepted.

Excellent respose, very helpful, thanks

So I dont need a tie at all, and shorts are OK for the other 5 nights in the MDR...awesome...

I think the Verizon Mexico deal is $15 for 1000 minutes which as you say is only good when on land, the only reason I would want it would be in case we get disconnected on land and need to meet up etc...

thanks again for such a helpful response...what a relief about dinner, i loved the dinners last cruise but didnt want to wear long pants each night...

All internet while at sea goes through the ship's internet. Your Verizon package would only be good while in port in Mexico.

While technically accurate, Verizon does now offer cruise data packages. 100 MB for $25. When I called about it, they gave a ton of information that I cannot remember enough to post here but they did tell me they have a partnership with Carnival (and other cruise lines as well).

OP - you may want to call Verizon and find out directly from them.

While technically accurate, Verizon does now offer cruise data packages. 100 MB for $25. When I called about it, they gave a ton of information that I cannot remember enough to post here but they did tell me they have a partnership with Carnival (and other cruise lines as well).

OP - you may want to call Verizon and find out directly from them.

100mb of data really isn't very much, especially given that it's slower than what you're used to on land. I'm on wifi most of the time, but I could easily blow through 100mb and more sitting in my yard (where wifi doesn't reach) for two hours on an afternoon.

A friend of mine took a cruise and only added on the "text" on her phone for International (including Mexico and Europe). She was able to receive and send text messages on this plan (cost her $5 for the month), and once the month was up, she didn't have to add it any longer. Maybe this would work for you! When I went on a cruise, I just purchased a phone card, and used it when I was in port to check on my mother. I did NOT want any surprises on my cell phone when I got home. The international phone card worked and I had purchased a $15 phone card before I left and was able to use it at each port. Just something to think about if you really need to place a call while in Mexico.

A friend of mine took a cruise and only added on the "text" on her phone for International (including Mexico and Europe). She was able to receive and send text messages on this plan (cost her $5 for the month), and once the month was up, she didn't have to add it any longer. Maybe this would work for you! When I went on a cruise, I just purchased a phone card, and used it when I was in port to check on my mother. I did NOT want any surprises on my cell phone when I got home. The international phone card worked and I had purchased a $15 phone card before I left and was able to use it at each port. Just something to think about if you really need to place a call while in Mexico.

International texting plans do not include on-ship texts.

This is incorrect. A button shirt with a collar is not required. You could wear a nice polo shirt or any type of nice shirt. Shorts are fine for every other night for adults and kids. There is a huge thread on here about the dress code. I would suggest reading up on Carnival's website as there are people on this board who will tell you that you cannot wear shorts in the MDR and they are incorrect.

As for keeping in touch in ports, why not try walkie talkies? Much easier than phones and you don't have to worry about the charges adding up! I hear from others that they work on the cruise ship too, just not in certain areas.

International texting plans do not include on-ship texts.

Are you sure about this b/c I have the print out right here from Verizon that says Destination: Carnival Liberty $.50 cents outgoing and $.05 cents incoming. Verizon has contracts with most cruise ships now.

Just want to be sure I understand correctly IF I decide to text. Note: Verizon did turn on the international feature for my number.

From our Business Account on Verizon:

Cruise Ship Rates

You can call and text on over 120 cruise ships, plus use your Global Data Plan to surf the web while you're onboard.

View cruise ship coverage

Global Data Feature

$25/100MB

Data Allowance 100MB

Rate After Allowance $25/100MB

Cruise Ship Rates

Voice Roaming $2.49/min

Text Messaging $0.50/message sent

$0.05/message received

Pay As You Go Data $0.02/KB or $20.48/MB

Edited by erby2283

Are you sure about this b/c I have the print out right here from Verizon that says Destination: Carnival Liberty $.50 cents outgoing and $.05 cents incoming. Verizon has contracts with most cruise ships now.

Just want to be sure I understand correctly IF I decide to text. Note: Verizon did turn on the international feature for my number.

Cruise Ship Rates

You can call and text on over 120 cruise ships, plus use your Global Data Plan to surf the web while you're onboard.

Global Data Feature

$25/100MB

Data Allowance 100MB

Cruise Ship Rates

Voice Roaming $2.49/min

$0.05/message received

Even though you have a Global Data Plan, wouldn't you still get a bill from Cellular at Sea since you are "pinging" off the ships tower?

I do know that with Verizon the last time we were on a cruise, I could still text my son at home and it only cost me $.50 and I did not have an international plan. No extra charges from Cellular at Sea.

Even though you have a Global Data Plan, wouldn't you still get a bill from Cellular at Sea since you are "pinging" off the ships tower?

I do know that with Verizon the last time we were on a cruise, I could still text my son at home and it only cost me $.50 and I did not have an international plan. No extra charges from Cellular at Sea.

Good question. But now that Verizon has contracts with these cruise ships, does that negate the Cellular at Sea charge? I didn't plan on using my phone for for data but would like to text. I can call in Puerto Rico for free when I get there :)

Cruise Ship Rates

Global Data Feature

$25/100MB

Data Allowance 100MB

Cruise Ship Rates

Voice Roaming $2.49/min

$0.05/message received

Those rates are not the same international plan mentioned above. They're two different things.

This is incorrect. A button shirt with a collar is not required. You could wear a nice polo shirt or any type of nice shirt. Shorts are fine for every other night for adults and kids. There is a huge thread on here about the dress code. I would suggest reading up on Carnival's website as there are people on this board who will tell you that you cannot wear shorts in the MDR and they are incorrect.

As for keeping in touch in ports, why not try walkie talkies? Much easier than phones and you don't have to worry about the charges adding up! I hear from others that they work on the cruise ship too, just not in certain areas.

you say incorrect and then you say a button shirt with collar is NOT required, so i wasnt sure if i could wear a t shirt or not - i dont wear polo shirts and i have a couple tommy bahama button shirts too

i guess i will go and find that thread about dress...wanna wear shorts and a tshirt, on vacation

...As for keeping in touch in ports, why not try walkie talkies? Much easier than phones and you don't have to worry about the charges adding up! I hear from others that they work on the cruise ship too, just not in certain areas.

Be sure to check first before taking them off ship, though. There was a thread about this on another board, and posters there said that walkie talkie use is actually illegal in some countries! I suppose concerns over security these days.