Sensational Serenade 12 night Med with Venice overnight and Montenegro Review.

Back in La Spezia we took a taxi back to the port and then a complimentary port bus.

We enjoyed a refreshing mojito in the Schooner bar as we participated in the evening trivia. After freshening ourselves up we had the feeling that we just needed more of those delicious little delights of fish that we had so much enjoyed earlier.

So we decided to dine in Izumi the sushi restaurant on deck 12. After our complimentary miso we shared champagne lobster in yuzu wrap, chicken kara-age and shrimp fire cracker spring roll for starter. All were very delicious and generous portions. For main we shared a hot rock – the mixed seafood combination which was served with some veggies and lemon ginger vinaigrette, sweet soy sauce and Thai sweet chili dipping sauces. There was also a portion of fried rice thrown in for good measure. I joked how it was just like being at home having to cook our dinner but really it was a very enjoyable experience. Izumi was very quiet that night so we had exceptional service from a young lady whose name I forget. Views from up here were stunning and we enjoyed watching the sunset. There is a $5 dining fee per person plus a la carte pricing. Our meal came in well under $40. It was certainly the second best seafood experience of the day!

PICT_20140608_194742_zps48a9c675.jpg

The show tonight in the tropical theatre was a production starring the Royal Caribbean singers and dancers. ‘Stage to Screen’ claimed to turn West End and Broadway musicals into movie musicals. How can I put this politely – we really did not like this show, so much so that we left after 15 minutes. It was never going to be Ger’s thing anyway but being the gentleman he is gladly came along with me. I love musicals but I really did not like the voice of the lady singing. The Serenade of the Seas Orchestra sounded phenomenal as they did every night they played. Cruise Director Bobby Brown and his sidekick Patricio were hilarious and we were really starting to like those two guys. Anyway we excused ourselves from the theatre and had a night cap in the schooner bar before retiring after a very busy but fulfilling day. Tomorrow we would be in Civitavecchia the port of Rome and just wait ‘till you see what we did there wink wink ;)

PICT_20140608_202251_zps03a39c9f.jpg

Wonderful!!! Just absolutely wonderful!

Thanks Ayesha, i'm blushing here :o

So glad to see these five towns recovering. They were hard hit

my the floods in the fall of 2012. I believe that several

people lost their lives. We have spend many days in

the area, and of course they have a special place in

our hearts. Thanks for the wonderful pictures.

I don't think anyone could visit this area without it having a very lasting impression. Hopefully all the trails will be opened again soon so that all of the loveliness of the area can be enjoyed.

Thanks for commenting on the pictures I hope they helped bring back some wonderful memories for you.

Catherine :)

Oooh, did you say Bobby Brown was the CD? I thought he was still on Radiance. He's my favorite CD. Very droll. And his beautiful wife Becky is as nice as she is pretty. Now I have my fingers crossed that he'll still be onboard in late September.

yep it was Bobby Brown. We weren't sure about him for the first day or two but he really is a great guy and as I say his side kick ( required for Spanish translation) was equally as funny. His wife Becky and some other family members were on for this sailing as it was actually Bobby's birthday the day we arrived in Venice. Captain Anders family were also on board for this sailing and it was so lovely to see him on many occasions around the ship carrying/ walking with his children. He was my favourite captain too.

Edited by Irish Cath

Ahhhh Roma. The wonderful capital of Italia. The Eternal City. Home to two and a half thousand years of history. Where masterpieces by Bernini, Michelangelo, Raphael and Botticelli amongst many more can be admired and a whole plethora of phenomenal sites including the Colosseum, The Vatican, St Peters, The Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps can be visited. Certainly way too many delights to fit into one port day, heck you could stay in this magical place for weeks and not see everything. So what do you think we decided to do on this stop in this city we both love so much? Nothing, zero, zilch, nada. Yep that’s right, we decided to stay put here in Civitavecchia. And yes it is only on my second visit to this port that I feel confident attempting to pronounce it! So if you are hoping for excellent tips on how to master the local train or how to fit the most into your precious time I’m afraid you’re outta luck. However, because I care deeply about my readers I taught it would be nice of me to share some photos of ravishing Rome which I took last year before we boarded the Navigator.

016_zpsc893a105.jpg

Just hanging around St Peters

057_zps20a7afea.jpg

A random fountain lol.

078_zpsd11f78a0.jpg

And another, this time in Piazza Navona

DSC_0396_zps8a89b475.jpg

Church with a big gaping hole in the roof

038_zps0a8366ef.jpg

Piazza dellla Repubblica. Oh look how young we were....

DSC_0372_zps0e60ab17.jpg

Inside St Peter's.

Ahhhh Roma. So what do you think we decided to do on this stop in this city we both love so much? Nothing, zero, zilch, nada. Yep that’s right, we decided to stay put here in Civitavecchia. However, because I care deeply about my readers I taught it would be nice of me to share some photos of ravishing Rome which I took last year before we boarded the Navigator.

Bwah-ha-ha-ha! Thank you so much for thinking of us little people stuck at home!

I wouldn't mind hearing about Civitavecchia...I've been there twice and haven't seen it at all!

Bwah-ha-ha-ha! Thank you so much for thinking of us little people stuck at home!

I wouldn't mind hearing about Civitavecchia...I've been there twice and haven't seen it at all!

Well then Cinderella you shall hear about Civitavecchia. More to follow later today on what we did actually do.

Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us! Your pictures are gorgeous, and now have me more excited about booking a Med cruise in the future. It's still on my bucket list!!! :D

Thank you for your very kind words. I hope you get to take a Med cruise one day, I can almost guarantee you would not be disappointed !

I'm really enjoying your review! We fly out 10 weeks from tomorrow. Our itinerary is a little different but includes some of the same ports. I was so happy to read about Cinque Terre as this us what we are doing DIY from Livirno (our original port was La Spezia before RCI changed it and our hearts were already set on CT). I'm glad you posted info on Corniglia because not many people go there. We are planning to see it and a few others at the end of October so hoping the crowds won't be as bad.

Looking forward to reading the rest of your story.

Edited by ace1zoe2
sp

We left the ship this morning around 9.30 long after the crowds had departed on their various tours towards the Eternal city. The port of Rome is a very large port with I believe more than 20 piers many for container ships. The port more or less follows the lay-out of the ancient port during the times of Emperor Trajan. There is a complimentary port shuttle which drops you by the port gates. Now last year when we disembarked the Navigator here we walked the straight 600 metres walk along the promenade to the train station and our plan this year was to explore the part of town we had not seen. Problem was the port shuttle this year dropped us what must have been miles from where it did last year – it seems there are more than one port gate. Pesky Civitavecchian’s keeping us on our toes.

Flummoxed by our new drop off point we decided out of curiosity to take the local transfer bus from here to the train station. At least we would know where we were when we got there! This cost just 0.80 cent and I would recommend it to anyone travelling on to Rome by train. It was maybe a 7 or 8 minute drive through the town.

The prettiest part of Civitavecchia is the promenade along the sea front. This is Viale Garibaldi and a really lovely area to have a stroll, sit at a café and people watch or indeed visit the little funfair area at the very end. As this was Saturday morning there were many local families out going about their regular weekend business and plenty of joggers and dog walkers. We seemed to be the only visitors and really felt submerged in the Italian culture even though we were merely walking along the street.

DSC_0164_zps2c03651f.jpg

DSC_0163_zps3bc99258.jpg

Do not adjust your screens - the man in front is not a giant. This appears to be some kind of optical illusion (is anyone familiar with the Ames room lol) sorry i'm getting carried away again. The promenade is split over two levels in places. This picture also has a great view of the harbour walls which I will talk about at the end of this post.

Coming from the train station and at the end of promenade we took a left and ended up on Corso Centocelle which I assume is considered the main street in town. This wide avenue is closed to traffic and lined with many different clothes and shoe shops as well as café’s, banks and farmacia. We participated in a little browsing and pretended to be locals although I doubt we blended in.

DSC_0165_zps958ec7ee.jpg

Blending in !

Mapless, we felt our way back in the direction of where this new found port gate may be. We then stumbled completely accidentally upon the Cathedral dedicated to San Francis of Assisi. Compelled to look inside we were not disappointed. A large altar made of beautiful marble greeted us and there are two memorable statues. A large one dedicated to the Cathedrals namesake and another to St Anthony of Padua. But what really caught my attention inside the Cathedral were many little prayers in a selection of languages dedicated to a Saint that I had never heard of before – Saint Fermina – the Patron Saint of Civitavecchia. Compelled to find out a little about this unknown Saint I have done a little research. It seems there are many conflicting theories about her but one that I like best (and therefore choose to believe) is that she lived in the 3rd Century suffered martyrdom and was buried in Civitavecchia. Many miracles are attributed to her, one of which occurred during a sea passage to Civitavecchia where a sudden violent storm was calmed by her miraculous intervention. Her feast day takes place on April 28th and is when locals hold a procession in her honour. Her statue is carried down to the harbour and put on board a ship taking it to the site of an ancient lighthouse, while the other ships and fishing boats sound their horns in celebration. What a remarkable sight that must be.

DSC_0166_zpsf95e8704.jpg

Back on the street we decided as we were feeling very Italian that we simply had to have some gelato and right now. We found a little café with free wifi and each had 2 scoops. Lemon and pistachio for myself and some kind of chocolate with something else chocolately for himself.

DSC_0169_zps92bcbdcd.jpg

After a relaxing half hour we continued along the street and wondered into some more shops. I found a skirt and top which I liked for a great price but said I would look in some more shops before making any impulse purchases. Seeing nothing else that I liked within the next row of shops we went back to make the purchase. Well what do you think happened when we got there – we were locked out! Not keeping an eye on our watches as let’s face it we were extremely relaxed without a care in the world and keeping in the Italian spirit of things weren't necessarily worried about any kind of time keeping we did not notice that it was 1.05p.m. Siesta time had hit and yes they don’t care that it’s Saturday or that I’m not going to be back in town for who knows how long. So I sulked my way back towards the port muttering that I’d definitely be getting something new in Venice. Let’s see how that works out…

There is of course one more significant attraction to be admired in Civitavecchia and that is the port itself or at least its walls. Anyone that has been here could not help but notice the impressive fortress. The city was virtually destroyed in WW2 and Fortezza Michelangelo along with the Cathedral are some of the few original pieces of architecture left. The fortress was commissioned by Pope Julius II Della Rovere in the 16th century and completed by Michelangelo himself. Inside the fortress the remains of a Roman villa have been excavated, as well as the crypt of Santa Fermina. For anyone that finds themselves in Civitavecchia and like us have been lucky enough to visit the magnificent Rome many times before I seriously would not overlook this port town. We had a truly marvellous unplanned morning despite just stepping off the ship for a gelato and some free wifi.

Back on board we enjoyed a very quiet lunch and then had pick of the sunbeds around the pool. It was nice to experience such an empty ship and to witness the comprehensive cleaning and sanitizing by many of the staff. We had a very relaxing afternoon, and luckily so, as our evening certainly took an unexpected lively turn.

Edited by Irish Cath

Ah! Thank you! I always thought Civitavecchia looked like a nice time as I was rushing to or from the ship or train! I may just have to add some time there next time.

I am really enjoying the review...between you, Stef, Melissa and Sherri I'm working on plans to head to Europe next year....if we wind up on a ship, I promise to post a review even though it won't be nearly as entertaining!

I'm really enjoying your review! We fly out 10 weeks from tomorrow. Our itinerary is a little different but includes some of the same ports. I was so happy to read about Cinque Terre as this us what we are doing DIY from Livirno (our original port was La Spezia before RCI changed it and our hearts were already set on CT). I'm glad you posted info on Corniglia because not many people go there. We are planning to see it and a few others at the end of October so hoping the crowds won't be as bad.

Looking forward to reading the rest of your story.

oh how lucky you are to have a 10 week countdown. I wish it was next Summer already so we could go on another cruise ! I'm glad you have included Corniglia on your list its so spectacular. I'm sure it will be quiet in October, it was by far the quietest of all our stops when we were there.

Dear Catherine;

I was looking online to find out more about Civitavecchia and then, what a happy coincidence, you posted your relaxing day there.

Did you see a beach or some kind of beach with sunbed while you were strolling down the sea walk?

Keep posting please. It gives me so much more ideas for my next year cruise.

Stefanny

Hi Catherine,

We are from Cork, and I am originally from Dublin, and counting down to our cruise in Celebrity Equinox in exactly 8 weeks and 3 days!! We are doing almost the exact same ports as you did, and really find your review and photos so interesting.

As we were in Rome for 8 days earlier this year, we are also interested in spending that port day in and around Civitivecchia.

We re thinking of hiring a car in Livorno to go to Lucca, but your review of Cinque Terres makes me want to go there!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Dear Catherine;

I was looking online to find out more about Civitavecchia and then, what a happy coincidence, you posted your relaxing day there.

Did you see a beach or some kind of beach with sunbed while you were strolling down the sea walk?

Keep posting please. It gives me so much more ideas for my next year cruise.

Stefanny

Hi Steffany,

Although we have not been and indeed have not seen it as we have not walked beyond the train station I believe there is a private beach club with umbrellas and sunbeds. This is called Il Pirgo and I believe you need to stay on the foot path beyond the promenade and past the train station. I think it is only a few minutes walk. Maybe a quick google will get you more clearer details on Il Pirgo.

We will be checking it out ourselves next time we get the opportunity of a day in Civitavecchia.

Enjoy,

Catherine

Hi Catherine,

We are from Cork, and I am originally from Dublin, and counting down to our cruise in Celebrity Equinox in exactly 8 weeks and 3 days!! We are doing almost the exact same ports as you did, and really find your review and photos so interesting.

As we were in Rome for 8 days earlier this year, we are also interested in spending that port day in and around Civitivecchia.

We re thinking of hiring a car in Livorno to go to Lucca, but your review of Cinque Terres makes me want to go there!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Ollieowl !

We are from Wexford.

Glad you found the review, hopefully it will be of some help.

Civitavecchia is a nice town for a quieter port day and has some nice shops for a spot of retail therapy.

I would definitely seriously consider Cinque Terre - such a magnificent place. And would be much more comfortable to walk around that time of year. If I can help with anything just give me a shout.

Catherine :)

P.s good luck in the match tomorrow.

Edited by Irish Cath

After a lazy few hours by the pool we spruced ourselves up and headed to the evening trivia in the Schooner bar. On the way, we stopped off at the R Bar, there was a lady here that makes the most perfect Mojito’s, the best we have ever had. I’m just sorry I can’t remember her name now. We were starting to get more confident at the trivia and came in at a respectable second (especially as the winning team had four members).

Soon it was time for dinner. If I remember correctly, although it’s possible that I have my menu’s confused, it was a British teamed menu tonight and although the options weren’t that exciting, what was served was very good. I had some deep fried cheddar cheese with a relish which was delish and very moreish. Being rather uninspired by the entrée options I choose a traditional roast chicken dinner. As luck would have it tonight our waiter was Claudiu – in my opinion a rather exceptional individual who provided outstanding service by main dining room standards. Well, as my main arrived I was standing up to momentarily excuse myself. Claudiu said he would get a cover to keep my meal warm. I returned in about 4 minutes and Claudiu decided I would need an entire new meal. Within moments he was back with a piping hot plateful and something that I had chosen begrudgingly turned into an absolutely delicious plate scraping dinner. The gravy was something I would have gladly bathed in. I don’t think I partook in desert but I know Ger definitely inhaled a sherry trifle.

We were honoured and delighted to be invited to the rather exclusive Crown and Anchor Society welcome back party tonight. Imagine my surprise when the tropical theatre was packed to the rafters with people elbowing each other for glasses of complimentary punch and talking loudly over the promotional video. As it turns out I sent Ger back a second time for another glass of this intoxicating green concoction. A heady combination of tequila (which is not my friend) and god only knows what else.

DSC_0135_zps7e834503.jpg

hic!

All too soon the booze ran out, apologies I mean the party ended and as we squished our way out of the theatre with the intention of retiring early we heard amidst the crowd the dulcet tones of an Irish brogue. Well this was our first encounter with any of our fellow Irish men (or women) on board and so spurred on by the green brew which by now was a clear portent that the Serenade was indeed turning Celtic, we insisted our compatriots join us for a night cap in the R bar.

We had a great chat with Mary and Dan our new Irish pals and enjoyed many a drink after tonight with them also. As we were happily chatting away at the R Bar, the 70’s night was kicking off with the entertainers Jeff and Danielle right here around us in the Centrum. As the night gathered pace so did the fun. The entertainment team were throwing free glow rings into the crowd and the atmosphere was electric. As it started to rain glittering confetti, you guessed it, it also started raining men. Before this we were particularly fond of cruise director Bobby and his gang- Richardo, Lorenzo and Tito but after tonight we had a new found respect for these guys. I think I will just have to let the pictures do the talking.

DSC_0137_zps248a0876.jpg

There was lots of this...

DSC_0146_zpsaeed1fa6.jpg

and plenty of this..

DSC_0142_zpsf4aa29ff.jpg

a small bit of this..

DSC_0141_zps64ca2ee2.jpg

and good grief look at this.

These guys worked the crowd like magic, were so full of energy and simply made sure everyone had the best night possible. Tonight was without question, the most fun we have had on a cruise ship so far. We laughed, danced and chatted late into the night. As we finally made it to bed around 1 a.m we hung a breakfast room service card on our door and were in no way concerned by our 6.30a.m start. We were dancing our way towards the Amalfi coast and the port of Salerno.

Ring ring, ring ring. Who is ringing us in the middle of the night, what on earth is happening and why is there a man hammering in my head. Hello? Hello Mrs Irish Cath this is room service, your breakfast is on its way… What the? Oh yeah we’re on a cruise and quick wake up its 7.15. Oh my word, my head, please someone help me. Oh my eyes, my eyes for heaven’s sake turn the light back off………

I maneuvered my body in the general direction of the shower and was just starting to feel like I may live when room service arrived, great a nice cup of tea and some pastries and I’l be good to go.

OH NO. Disaster, code red disaster in fact, they've forgotten the tea bags. This is the worst day of my life. My hero gets on the phone to the captain, I suspect, to tell him of this impending catastrophe but by the time someone arrives with the sacred tea bags the water is now cold. What a debacle. I make do with a croissant and swear I will damage anyone that feeds me tequila again.

We race off the gangway at 8a.m and on to a waiting complimentary shuttle bus. According to the cruise compass this bus takes 15 – 20 minutes and drops you at Via del Molo Manfredi. Of course we barely know our own names this morning let alone where Via del Molo Manfredis is in relation to the ferry port for boats to Amalfi. Waiting for the bus to depart we get chatting to the couple sitting in front of us and what a strike of good luck this was. Not that we knew it at the time but it is the lady who is giving all of the port talks on board this week. She recommends we should jump off the shuttle and grab a cab as it is a good 20 minute walk to the ferry terminal from Via del Molo Manfredis so that’s exactly what we did. We knew we needed to catch our 8.40 ferry or we would be in trouble for the rest of the day as the boat timetable runs on a reduced Sunday service. The taxi took 5 minutes cost €15 and we were in plenty of time for our ferry.

PICT_20140608_083046_zps0a894917.jpg

View of the local ferry harbour

PICT_20140608_083102_zpse8a6e55c.jpg

My window view before we departed.

Ferry tickets cost €8 each from a man behind a little glass window who luckily for us has the facility to take a debit card. It was not possible to purchase a ticket for our return ticket here. This service was busy but not with tourists. A huge proportion of the passengers were middle aged local ladies chatting away and dressed in their Sunday best. I really wish I knew where they were all off to on that beautiful sunny morning. Soon we were leaving the harbour and the realisation that I was on a speeding ferry with a serious hangover wasn’t enough to dampen my excitement at visiting Amalfi and Ravello. I admit I sat pretty still for the majority of the 40 minute ride but I could happily enjoy the rather awesome view.

PICT_20140608_085825_zps4cb11a8b.jpg

Sailing away from the Serenade

PICT_20140608_085917_zps92ac8f22.jpg

We sailed pass Maiori and Minori but did not stop.

PICT_20140608_090640_zpsf65e4cf1.jpg

PICT_20140608_091207_zps6f8d42c4.jpg