Snorkeling Sapphire Beach 29 Jul 2014

miss_rach

Thanks for the link, that one worked. :)

Did you have a go-pro or something? It was really hard to see things because it was constantly going up and down with the camera instead of holding still to view what you were looking at. I thought maybe you had a go-pro on your head or something. :confused:

I think the quality of snorkeling seem to get better around the 18:__ mark, which I assume would probably be once you got over toward the right side of the beach (when standing on the beach facing the water in front of the condo's). It didn't seem like there was much to see prior to that, but it was hard to tell.

Thanks for sharing.

I had the GoPro for all of 3 days before the cruise and had never used it or the GoPro studio software to splice the various chapters together. There not much around the first part of the beach, either you have to go to the right towards the point and others say left... Or try the Island straight out.

I had the GoPro for all of 3 days before the cruise and had never used it or the GoPro studio software to splice the various chapters together. There not much around the first part of the beach, either you have to go to the right towards the point and others say left... Or try the Island straight out.

I didn't watch the video yet miss_rach although I will later this evening, but I see you mentioned you just got your GoPro. I just wanted to let you know to not give up on it just yet or get too frustrated with it. The first one I got was about 3 or 4 years ago and I was spending time on St Thomas and St Croix and only had it for about 3 days as well. I almost ruined all the footage as it was shaky as can be :o I was about to cry, but then I just practiced with it and really concentrated on keeping it still and everything is turning out much better. :)

I did want to make a quick comment on the "right off the beach" snorkeling at Sapphire. I have stayed at condos right there a few times and I actually saw quite a bit probably walking less than 30 feet from the beach. Nothing too huge of course, but a ton of variety and schools, a couple baby rays, and big sized flounders that were fun to film. Again, these were all at the rocks just steps from when you enter the water in the easy entry part with the sand. If you entry at the sand around Building A and where the dive shop was/still should be to the right of course is where I saw all of this. Yeah, you are probably only snorkeling in 3 or 4 feet of water, but I was just blown away with what I saw so close to the shore line. This is where the flounders were and "larger" schools. Also if you go straight out from the dive shop/building A area, not too far there were a couple decent sized rock formations with tons of schools and where I saw the baby rays.

Anyway, just babbling here but I wanted to give a shout out to the close snorkeling at Sapphire Beach, especially if you have anybody in your group that might have a fear of going out too deep.

Actually I just found a couple minutes of video I shot very close to shore at Sapphire. It's not the greatest of shots I have and it's using an older GoPro, but again I wanted to stick up for what you can see VERY close to shore. Oh, and don't mind the sharks, lol, that was a joke I spliced in from the shark encounter at Coral World :D No worries, I did not see those within 50 feet of the shoreline (although I have seen small nurse sharks out a little more by the point)

I didn't watch the video yet miss_rach although I will later this evening, but I see you mentioned you just got your GoPro. I just wanted to let you know to not give up on it just yet or get too frustrated with it. The first one I got was about 3 or 4 years ago and I was spending time on St Thomas and St Croix and only had it for about 3 days as well. I almost ruined all the footage as it was shaky as can be :o I was about to cry, but then I just practiced with it and really concentrated on keeping it still and everything is turning out much better. :)

I did want to make a quick comment on the "right off the beach" snorkeling at Sapphire. I have stayed at condos right there a few times and I actually saw quite a bit probably walking less than 30 feet from the beach. Nothing too huge of course, but a ton of variety and schools, a couple baby rays, and big sized flounders that were fun to film. Again, these were all at the rocks just steps from when you enter the water in the easy entry part with the sand. If you entry at the sand around Building A and where the dive shop was/still should be to the right of course is where I saw all of this. Yeah, you are probably only snorkeling in 3 or 4 feet of water, but I was just blown away with what I saw so close to the shore line. This is where the flounders were and "larger" schools. Also if you go straight out from the dive shop/building A area, not too far there were a couple decent sized rock formations with tons of schools and where I saw the baby rays.

Anyway, just babbling here but I wanted to give a shout out to the close snorkeling at Sapphire Beach, especially if you have anybody in your group that might have a fear of going out too deep.

Actually I just found a couple minutes of video I shot very close to shore at Sapphire. It's not the greatest of shots I have and it's using an older GoPro, but again I wanted to stick up for what you can see VERY close to shore. Oh, and don't mind the sharks, lol, that was a joke I spliced in from the shark encounter at Coral World :D No worries, I did not see those within 50 feet of the shoreline (although I have seen small nurse sharks out a little more by the point)

Great video and I think it really helps when you use some type of software to slow down portions of the video so that people can see what you are looking at and it helps with being able to mask the shakiness that might have occurred.

OP, don't get discouraged and keep trying now that you know what to expect. This goes for any type of photography with any camera. It takes awhile to master any skills and you just need to keep practicing. Swimming in the ocean and fighting the waves while getting great shots is something I still struggle with just using a regular still camera. I'll take about 300 shots and maybe come up with a good 100 shots or less of what I'm trying to capture and focus on. I can't even imagine using video (although I keep saying I'm going to try some day). :p

• 1 month later...