Passport question

Hi all, new to the forums, will be taking a Bermuda cruise on the Dawn in a couple of weeks. So excited!

My question is this: been married about a year. Have changed my name on DL and w SSA... I have not yet changed my passport so that still reflects my maiden name. I've found a number of threads on this topic but nothing too current. The booking was made in my maiden name... will I encounter any issues or need any additional, supporting documentation?

Thanks in advance :confused:

Since your booking and your passport match, maybe you will be OK as long as you don't offer to show anything else?

Seems to me that the passport is invalid due to the name change. NCL travel doc requirements state the passport must be valid... do they check this? I don't know.

OP needs to change the booking name to reflect the name on her ID (her REAL name), provide other proof of citizenship (birth certificate) and provide documentation that reflects the name change (marriage certificate, name change document), or consider expedited replacement of the passport.

OP - I would recommend CAREFULLY reviewing information about US passports and name changes, considering the possibility of expedited passport replacement., and reviewing and understanding NCL's travel document requirements.

I would avoid reliance on a guess or a "maybe" from a stranger on the internet. Lack of proper travel documentation at the pier and mismatched booking names goes south real quick. That is, the ship goes south, you don't.

Edited by triptolemus

Your passport matches your booking name. End of story. That's all you need. They won't even ask or care if you are even married. They never ask anyone. They won't ever even look at your license since you are using your passport. You are all set.

New brides on their honeymoon should always book in their maiden name so that it matches their passport. Although you've been married a year this isn't uncommon and you won't be asked for anything but your passport when you board. However, when you get off the ship in Bermuda you'll be asked to show a photo ID along with your ship card when reboard. If you use your drivers license the names are not going to match so, unless you carry your passport with you, there might be a problem.

My two cents worth... which is not much.

If you ONLY use your passport and nothing else (including a credit card for onboard expenses), you will be just fine. Always use your maiden name,and all will be fine. Do NOT mix things up.

If you have time, then get it changed and move on.

Your passport matches your booking name. End of story. That's all you need. They won't even ask or care if you are even married. They never ask anyone. They won't ever even look at your license since you are using your passport. You are all set.

Yes to this! As long as your booking name and passport name match you will be just fine. You will not ever need to show any other form of ID. Do take passport with you into ports that require ID to get back to he ship though as mentioned in a previous post!

Seems to me that the passport is invalid due to the name change. NCL travel doc requirements state the passport must be valid... do they check this? I don't know.

OP needs to change the booking name to reflect the name on her ID (her REAL name), provide other proof of citizenship (birth certificate) and provide documentation that reflects the name change (marriage certificate, name change document), or consider expedited replacement of the passport.

OP - I would recommend CAREFULLY reviewing information about US passports and name changes, considering the possibility of expedited passport replacement., and reviewing and understanding NCL's travel document requirements.

I would avoid reliance on a guess or a "maybe" from a stranger on the internet. Lack of proper travel documentation at the pier and mismatched booking names goes south real quick. That is, the ship goes south, you don't.

Your passport is absolutely not invalidated by a name change. If you search or speak to someone from State they will tell you it is reccomemded you apply for a new passport following a name change. The use of "recomended" will tell you it is not required.

DipBrat viewpost.gif

Your passport is absolutely not invalidated by a name change. If you search or speak to someone from State they will tell you it is reccomemded you apply for a new passport following a name change. The use of "recomended" will tell you it is not required.

Speaking from experience, this is completely incorrect. Please see the quote below from the DoS website.

If your name has legally changed through marriage, divorce, or a court ordered change of name, you will need to apply for a new passport.
See: http://travel.state.gov/

A U.S. Passport is only considered valid if it is issued in your current legal name.

Once a marriage certificate is officially placed on file as a document of record, a passport issued in your maiden name becomes invalid. If anyone at the BCA tells you differently they should be fired. You can use a marriage certificate as proof of name change within a reasonable time period on a invalidated passport to meet the requirements of WHTI when dealing with CBP upon reentry into the U.S. but a marriage certificate is a dated document as well and is not intended to supplement a valid passport.

I am not saying you can't get away with it, you could be perfectly fine, or you could have an issue it's hard to say. From an official standpoint however, the passport is invalid. Sometimes CBP/TSA will let this pass, and quite possibly it will not even be noticed. There is however a database that these are cross-referenced in. It is a risk.

Separately, having a driver's license that does not match your name at check-in may be a problem for re-boarding the ship as mentioned above.

Edited by Kortehgehn

Speaking from experience, this is completely incorrect. Please see the quote below from the DoS website.

See: http://travel.state.gov/

A U.S. Passport is only considered valid if it is issued in your current legal name.

Once a marriage certificate is officially placed on file as a document of record, a passport issued in your maiden name becomes invalid. If anyone at the BCA tells you differently they should be fired. You can use a marriage certificate as proof of name change within a reasonable time period on a invalidated passport to meet the requirements of WHTI when dealing with CBP upon reentry into the U.S. but a marriage certificate is a dated document as well and is not intended to supplement a valid passport.

I am not saying you can't get away with it, you could be perfectly fine, or you could have an issue it's hard to say. From an official standpoint however, the passport is invalid. Sometimes CBP/TSA will let this pass, and quite possibly it will not even be noticed. There is however a database that these are cross-referenced in. It is a risk.

Separately, having a driver's license that does not match your name at check-in may be a problem for re-boarding the ship as mentioned above.

Getting married does not change your legal name, despite what the State Department website's 17th century take on the law suggests. Many married people do not use their spouse's last name. You are permitted to use your spouse's last name as a result of marriage, but not required to. Your contention that having a marriage certificate on file invalidates your passport has no basis in fact. It's also very common for some people to retain their previous name for business/professional purposes, but use their spouse's name for social purposes...or even use another name altogether (such as a combination of the two last names). It's permissible to use any name you wish as long as there is no intent to defraud.

There is also no problem reboarding the ship. Take a copy of your passport ashore and show that to authorities if a photo ID is required in that port.

Edited by njhorseman

As long as your booking name matches your passport name, you're fine. Your passport isn't invalidated just because you have a marriage certificate on the books.

I got married last October and got a new DL and SSA card almost immediately with my married name. However, I had a trip to Iceland booked for March, with the entire booking being in my maiden name, so I held on to my maiden-name passport and used it on the trip. It was perfectly valid. Granted, this wasn't a cruise booking but it involved a round-trip international flight: the passport gets swiped through the same database regardless.

I did bring a certified copy of my marriage certificate, just in case, but no one asked for it.

Edited by Illyria

Very well put. Some simple logic is included.

And, I might add, again. Do NOT try to use two different names. Pick one for the cruise and stick to it.

Getting married does not change your legal name, despite what the State Department website's 17th century take on the law suggests. Many married people do not use their spouse's last name. You are permitted to use your spouse's last name as a result of marriage, but not required to. Your contention that having a marriage certificate on file invalidates your passport has no basis in fact. It's also very common for some people to retain their previous name for business/professional purposes, but use their spouse's name for social purposes...or even use another name altogether (such as a combination of the two last names). It's permissible to use any name you wish as long as there is no intent to defraud.

There is also no problem reboarding the ship. Take a copy of your passport ashore and show that to authorities if a photo ID is required in that port.

Correction for clarity:

Once a marriage certificate is officially placed on file as a document of record with a new name (ie. a name that is different from the current name of the person on the certificate; every state does this differently and it can be extremely complex), a passport issued in your former name becomes invalid.
Especially if other identification has been changed to a new name such as a drivers license and a SSN card.

I am not a lawyer. I understand the statement about marriage certificates, but they are used and treated the same as a court documented name change as far as Consular Affairs is concerned. I believe other government agencies see this as an official document as well.

Officially, if you use both a maiden name and a spouse's name concurrently then you would need a "known as" amendment on the last page of your passport.

I know this can appear confusing, and does not always seem to make sense. There are different regulations and policies between Consular Affairs and Homeland Security for example. I have personally dealt with circumstances in which this has been an issue. However it almost always involves, directly or indirectly, some sort of suspicious or unlawful activity. Though I have worked with many regular people that have been caught up in these situations.

When I say the passport becomes invalid I do not mean it will be flagged or suspended, I am saying that technically it is no longer valid for travel because it is supposed to be in your current legal name. For example you can travel in your married name with a passport that is in your maiden name right after you get married as long as you have a marriage certificate. The passport is still technically invalid but the marriage certificate together with the passport is a valid document for entry under WHTI in this circumstance. You are still expected to update your passport as soon as possible, or at least before any other international travel.

You may not have an issue, I am sure from the comments here that many people have done this without incident. I am just trying to explain the official position of the situation. The US number for general passport services is 877-487-2778, they should be able to explain this in sufficient detail and give more information if necessary.

Edited by Kortehgehn

You guys are seriously over-thinking this. The cruise has no way of even knowing, nor do they even care, if the 2 passengers are even married or boyfriend or girlfriend. Her reservation matches her passport. Marriage certificates, drivers licenses, etc. play absolutely no role in this.

Besides, the marriage certificate in no way indicates what name the woman plans to use going forward. She can use it to change her name on her social card, bank accounts, etc. if she so chooses, but merely having a marriage certificate does not change the name.

Edited by LrgPizza

You guys are seriously over-thinking this. The cruise has no way of even knowing, nor do they even care, if the 2 passengers are even married or boyfriend or girlfriend. Her reservation matches her passport. Marriage certificates, drivers licenses, etc. play absolutely no role in this.

Besides, the marriage certificate in no way indicates what name the woman plans to use going forward. She can use it to change her name on her social card, bank accounts, etc. if she so chooses, but merely having a marriage certificate does not change the name.

The question has already been answered. OP needs to research authoritative information on this matter and not guesses from an internet message board.

The passport is technically invalid if the individual has changed their name for any reason. Will the cruise line check? Ok, doubtful... but OP should know that going this route, they are technically traveling with an invalid document.

Please try to understand the difference between technically correct, and a practical matter of the passport maybe-probably working.

This. Exactly. I also cruised a month after my wedding, and with my old passport, and had no issues because the booking was made in my maiden name.

**OF NOTE: If it has been less than one year since you were issued a passport, and you need a name change due to marriage, it's actually free of cost. Just mail back a new application, with your passport and passport card, proof of marriage, and new pictures, and they will issue a new passport for you, free-of-charge.

As long as your booking name matches your passport name, you're fine. Your passport isn't invalidated just because you have a marriage certificate on the books.

I got married last October and got a new DL and SSA card almost immediately with my married name. However, I had a trip to Iceland booked for March, with the entire booking being in my maiden name, so I held on to my maiden-name passport and used it on the trip. It was perfectly valid. Granted, this wasn't a cruise booking but it involved a round-trip international flight: the passport gets swiped through the same database regardless.

I did bring a certified copy of my marriage certificate, just in case, but no one asked for it.

I got married 7 years ago. My passport was never changed because I just renewed it then. I did not want to pay the additional fee for the name change. I travel international all the time for business and I just make sure to make my bookings in my maiden name so there is no problem with check in. I also have never had a problem using a credit card in my married name while showing my passport with my maiden name.

You will be fine.

The question has already been answered. OP needs to research authoritative information on this matter and not guesses from an internet message board.

The passport is technically invalid if the individual has changed their name for any reason. Will the cruise line check? Ok, doubtful... but OP should know that going this route, they are technically traveling with an invalid document.

Please try to understand the difference between technically correct, and a practical matter of the passport maybe-probably working.

I haven't posted any guesses. I've posted facts. Did the cruise line check your passport against your SS card or driver's license to make sure you hadn't changed your name? Do they do that with every single passenger who boards? The fact is no, they don't. With anyone. Fact. Not opinion. Continue to try to mislead her though if you want.

I am only referring to possible passport issues when reentering the US through CBP. I agree that NCL likely has no way of knowing, but they do forward the crew and passenger manifest to CBP.

In certain states marriage certificates are made out under the new married name. In other states the married names are indicated on the marriage certificate.

I am only referring to possible passport issues when reentering the US through CBP. I agree that NCL likely has no way of knowing, but they do forward the crew and passenger manifest to CBP.

In certain states marriage certificates are made out under the new married name. In other states the married names are indicated on the marriage certificate.

Thank you for the info.

Here is a somewhat off-topic but kind of interesting thing I just learned...

We filled out the application to renew my son's passport a couple weeks ago. I had to re-do all the paperwork because I had mistakenly put my own legal name as his mother (the name that appears on my own passport, license, SS card, etc.), and that was not permitted. I had to redo it using only my maiden name, although I don't have one single piece of identification with that name, nor have I for over 16 years, nor was it my name at the time of his birth. It kind of makes you wonder how the government really does identify we married women.

Edited by LrgPizza

I haven't posted any guesses. I've posted facts. Did the cruise line check your passport against your SS card or driver's license to make sure you hadn't changed your name? Do they do that with every single passenger who boards? The fact is no, they don't. With anyone. Fact. Not opinion. Continue to try to mislead her though if you want.

The FACT you are ignoring is that the passport is invalid upon name change. Fact.

You saying no one will check is not a fact. You can continue to mislead her all on your own... doing a fantastic job so far.

You saying no one will check is not a fact. You can continue to mislead her all on your own... doing a fantastic job so far.

Okay. You win. So even though NCL tells people that a passport is all the identification you need to board, they are lying. At any point in time they may refuse someone boarding if all they have is a passport that matches their booking name. They randomly pull people from line (COMPLETELY RANDOM), tell them their passport is insufficient, and ask them to produce a 2nd and 3rd piece of ID. Thanks for the info. I never knew this previously, and I'm sure this will benefit others.

Edited by LrgPizza

There's no one lurking in a corner ready to jump out and grab you when you reenter the country because you got married. You have a passport...they look at it for under 5 seconds and send you on your way. You could have been married and divorced 6 times since the passport was issued.

And once again, getting married does not force you to change your name one way or the other. The act of marriage permits you to change your name to your spouse's with getting a court order to make a legal name change, it does not not require it.

Please tell me what happens if a husband chooses to adopt his wife's name? Yes, there are states with specific laws permitting husbands to use their wife's name without obtaining a court order. What about in gay and lesbian marriages? Whose name is "legal" for the couple to use under your theory?

You're basing your argument on nonexistent laws.

Okay. You win. So even though NCL tells people that a passport is all the identification you need to board, they are lying. At any point in time they may refuse someone boarding if all they have is a passport that matches their booking name. They randomly pull people from line (COMPLETELY RANDOM), tell them their passport is insufficient, and ask them to produce a 2nd and 3rd piece of ID. Thanks for the info. I never knew this previously, and I'm sure this will benefit others.

They don't tell people that a passport is all the identification you need. They tell people a valid passport is all the identification you need.