Unwanted upgrade

SSCAF001

I have been somewhat "upgraded" this morning for my upcoming cruise departing next Sunday from Q6 to Q4. For those of you who know Queen Victoria, Q4 cabins are smaller in size than Q6 but they are midship. I had specifically requested no upgrade to be mentioned in my booking, having spent hours to choose my cabin and having paid the full price almost a year ago. Since then the fare of my Q6 has been divided by 2. I had difficulty to accept it but many people here told me that at least I have the very cabin I wanted. Now not only I have paid the full price but also I have a cabin I did no want. I have immediately contacted my TA to request Cunard to assign me back to my original cabin. Did you experience this situation? Do you think I have a chance to come back to my original cabin? The only worthwhile upgrade would have been a Q2 because Q3/Q4 cabins are smaller in size to my Q6. Thank you.

I have been somewhat "upgraded" this morning for my upcoming cruise departing next Sunday from Q6 to Q4. For those of you who know Queen Victoria, Q4 cabins are smaller in size than Q6 but they are midship. I had specifically requested no upgrade to be mentioned in my booking, having spent hours to choose my cabin and having paid the full price almost a year ago. Since then the fare of my Q6 has been divided by 2. I had difficulty to accept it but many people here told me that at least I have the very cabin I wanted. Now not only I have paid the full price but also I have a cabin I did no want. I have immediately contacted my TA to request Cunard to assign me back to my original cabin. Did you experience this situation? Do you think I have a chance to come back to my original cabin? The only worthwhile upgrade would have been a Q2 because Q3/Q4 cabins are smaller in size to my Q6. Thank you.
When I've used a TA, and didn't want an up-grade, I've checked the issued/printed confirmations and booking details (issued by both the TA and Cunard) to make certain that "no up-grade" was clearly specified. I presume you've done this. That should then tell you if the TA or Cunard have ignored your instruction. Not that this will get your requested cabin back, but it may help in the future.

I have to say that every time I've said "no up-grade" I've never been given one (the one time I forgot, and really wanted a particular cabin, I was up-graded :( ).

It is my understanding that once you've been allocated a "new" cabin, your "old" one is immediately allocated to others for their up-grade in turn, and so on down the grades.

I hope you enjoy your time on board Queen Victoria nonetheless :) .

Best wishes.

Edited by pepperrn

I had exactly the same issue as we had booked two Q6's to be next door to parents. We had an upgrade to a Q3 and they stayed put. We spent a lot more time in theirs as we felt there was much more room available, even more so on the balcony.

Our difficulty is that we didn't put "no upgrade" on the booking, so we had no choice, despite making several phone calls to be reverted back to our originally booked cabin.

We've booked another Q6 for our Iceland trip next year and specifically asked for the "no upgrade" wording to be put on the booking which was done whilst on board the QE in April. I will play merry hell if they try to put us in a Q4/Q3 as we've specfically requested the back of the ship to get panoramic views.

I would keep pestering them through your agent to get reverted back or give you a Q2 as an alternative!

Good luck.

Not sure if this is the case but if the OP left everything to the TA that could be the problem.

We always request no upgrade and have never been to date on multiple cruises.

David.

Should a booking confirmation specifically read "no upgrade" somewhere? Now I'm wondering if my carefully selected staterooms for 2015 are really marked that. After paying full freight to have starboard EB and port WB I don't want to be "upgraded" to the opposite sides of the ship.

Thank you for your answers. Great news : my TA just informed me that I am back to my original Q6 cabin. Do you know how long does it take to be reflected on my E-ticket in VP? Is there kind of a night batch which means that changes are updated the following day? Because so far the e ticket is showing the upgraded cabin while in the "life in board - accommodation" it shows the original correct Q6 cabin. Thanks.

Thank you for your answers. Great news : my TA just informed me that I am back to my original Q6 cabin. Do you know how long does it take to be reflected on my E-ticket in VP? Is there kind of a night batch which means that changes are updated the following day? Because so far the e ticket is showing the upgraded cabin while in the "life in board - accommodation" it shows the original correct Q6 cabin. Thanks.
Excellent news, I am so very pleased for you :). What a worry so close to your sailing date :( . Now you can really concentrate on having a great time :) . Bon Voyage! Well done :)

Excellent news, I am so very pleased for you :). What a worry so close to your sailing date :( . Now you can really concentrate on having a great time :) . Bon Voyage! Well done :)

Thank you Pepperrn. I really appreciate your word today since I felt terribly bad this morning when opening VP! Tonight I feel so good. It was good to share my concern. I felt better and now I can start packing all my belongings. I fly to the UK next Saturday and embark on Sunday. Thanks again. Cheers from Switzerland. Christophe.

I also had the exact same thing happen......booked a year in advance, then 2 weeks out they "upgraded" us to a cabin we didn't want. After a week of worry and useless phone calls, our TA came back from vacation and had our cabin back immediately. I had to wonder at their lack of concern to please their customer. Have a wonderful trip.

Edited by brigittetom

That's the thing about upgrades. Before you ask for one, you had better be sure that you would be willing to be upgraded to anything above your category. If you are seasick in rough weather and you are upgraded to a fore or aft stateroom, it won't be so good.

I will only take the upgrade option if I know I could accept anything in the grades above mine.

That's the thing about upgrades. Before you ask for one, you had better be sure that you would be willing to be upgraded to anything above your category. If you are seasick in rough weather and you are upgraded to a fore or aft stateroom, it won't be so good.

I will only take the upgrade option if I know I could accept anything in the grades above mine.

Leucothea, excellent point. And since the cabin categories on QM2 have been through several changes in the past couple of years, it is important to study the latest changes in categories, while being absolutely certain we are looking at the deck plans that apply to the voyage we are taking. (I haven't studied Grill Categories, but Britannia Balcony categories have undergone many changes.) -S

We had a recent thread that included a post by somebody who had booked QM2 BB (deck 11 forward) but was unhappily upgraded to BA (deck 8 mid) immediately in back of the orange lifeboat staterooms. He didn't request "no grade" and never returned to let us know how things turned out.