P&O introduce Military Credit...at long last

Midsomer Madness

I am not going to argue that it should not happen, just want to know where the money is coming from and additionally how are such things organised. Have there been consultations with HMG etc etc.

I'm so thrilled I think they should get their trips free. We would all be willing to pay extra, wouldn't we. How about if you worked in the catering corps in catterick. Does that count.

Whilst I respect the right of others to have and express views and opinions with which I disagree or sometimes find offensive, it is sad such a fine gesture by P&O towards our armed forces attracts much comment of what appears to be envy. Whilst any death or injury in the course of duty by anybody is very regrettable and sad, the military make greater sacrifice than any of the other groups mentioned in some of the foregoing contributors comments. How regrettable that some within those work groups referred to as being equally deserving, strike or adopt work practices so alien to any reasonable sense of fair play. But the armed forces, not saints nor above the law when they do wrong, volunteer and just soldier on not least to ensure free speech. If I get my Forces obc I will enjoy spending every last penny of it but, knowing my luck, I will up sat next to a person on my next cruise who if not moaning about this issue, will find something similarly obscure to generally berate P&O. Hay ho. I'll wait for the stream of vitriol to start streaming in ..........

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well said!

Sure those who get free upgrades don't worry about whose paying for it do they?

My hubby will enjoy spending his...it's not much but it's a gesture which is very much appreciated....

It just proves to me that there are some very nasty, selfish and very jealous people in this country and reading through this thread sorry to say that some cruise.

Just for interest I am a retired firefighter of 33yrs service do not expect or want this credit and think it is thoroughly deserved by military personnel past or present who have put there lives at risk to make all our lives in Britain a much safer place to live. Those that have spoken out against this on this thread should be totally ashamed and embarrassed of themselves for such an attitude.

They fight for queen and country, often away from families for a long time...firemen, policemen etc go home at the end of a shift each day....

Oops, not sure of your logic:

Too many firemen (and women), policemen and (women) and lifeboat crews go to work and never return home. The lifeboat crews are volunteers.

In so far as going home at the end of a shift is concerned. Long distant lorry drivers and even long distance train drivers don't go home at the end of their shift, whilst merchant seamen and oil workers are often away for a very long time as are polar research scientists.

Sorry. I think you will need to find a much better argument than serving the nation and being away for a long time.

I am not against the principal of rewarding service to the nation, and appreciate the sacrifice some make on our behalf, but the problem is were do you draw the line. Personally, I think it would make much more sense not to give individual ex-service personnel a discount, remember not all see active service, but instead donate the equivalent of the proposed discount to Help for Heroes.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

Donate it to Help for Heros? So it can all go on "directors" and staff salaries? Think I prefer it the way they are doing it.

My husband raised funds for help for heros and never even got a thank you!

Firefighters and police officers etc are not away from home separated from their families for months on end though are they?

There really are some sour grapes around....I hope all those who qualify for the small amounts that p&o are giving enjoy it...life is far to short to begrudge people a little good fortune now and again..

Edited by Midsomer Madness

Donate it to Help for Heros? So it can all go on "directors" and staff salaries? Think I prefer it the way they are doing it.

My husband raised funds for help for heros and never even got a thank you!

So let me get this right. You support the idea of expressing our appreciation for the armed forces, but object to supporting Help for Heroes because no-one said thank you to your husband.

Remind me. Who introduced the phrase sour grapes into this discussion? Ah yes, it was YOU.

BTW.

I support, by monthly Direct Debit, both Somerset & Dorset Air Ambulance and Help for Heroes and, by annual Direct Debit the RNLI, so please don't respond by telling me that my attitude to those who serve our nation is reprehensible.

FWIIW I don't really have a problem with the additional OBC, but I just think that recognition should be widened to include people like MajorTom (even though he modestly says he doesn't expect it) and should not include those employees of MOD who never see active service.

Surely they knew that when they joined!

Yes they know when they joined as they also know that they may have to put their lives on the line that is the job they have signed up for.

But for doing the job they and their wives and children also give up a lot they up sticks at a drop of a hat, move schools and travel to other countries have no families to fall back on when things go wrong or when their husbands are away during conflicts.

Do they deserve extra OBC maybe not but it is a nice touch that they are given it and people forget how grateful they should be for the military past and present for giving them the freedoms other countries do not have.

Yes they know when they joined as they also know that they may have to put their lives on the line that is the job they have signed up for.

But for doing the job they and their wives and children also give up a lot they up sticks at a drop of a hat, move schools and travel to other countries have no families to fall back on when things go wrong or when their husbands are away during conflicts.

Do they deserve extra OBC maybe not but it is a nice touch that they are given it and people forget how grateful they should be for the military past and present for giving them the freedoms other countries do not have.

You put that much more eloquently than I did!

In reply to the OP reserve forces have been over in Afghanistan and Iraq in recent times...so they don't deserve an extra £30 for dodging the Taliban? Many reservists have never returned home.......

I for one am eternally grateful to our forces past and present....for our tomorrow they gave their today......

Why does every discussion have to sink to insults or name calling.

People are entitled to a point of view which may be at odds with another.

An ex- serviceman I know of donates his OBC equivalent to a charity because he doesn't need it but is glad to put it to good use.

When we found out about it with Cunard, my husband couldn't believe that his two years National Service in the 1960s entitled him to OBC. He felt that his NS did not put him on a par with, for example, young men and women who have served in recent conflicts.

I have no problem with extra OBC for the military. If someone receives it for booking 3 months earlier than me or because they have more points or a more expensive room, that's fine too. :)

Edited by heywood

I was the one who expressed surprise and that only. I am surprised and I don't see the need for it. I work closely with volunteer lifeboat crew who risk their lives every time they go out. I just don't see it for some and not others. Where would you draw the line. As someone said, do you get it if you are a member of the forces who works here and doesn't go away?

Edited by jeanlyon

Whilst they may sit at a desk now it doesn't mean they haven't seen active service in the past, or may do again in the future..I worked for a brigadier and an air commodore, both who were working at the MOD, both had done vast amounts of active service...my last boss at the MOD was in the TA and did three tours of Afghanistan....

Don't marry a serviceman!

Whilst I respect the right of others to have and express views and opinions with which I disagree or sometimes find offensive, it is sad such a fine gesture by P&O towards our armed forces attracts much comment of what appears to be envy. Whilst any death or injury in the course of duty by anybody is very regrettable and sad, the military make greater sacrifice than any of the other groups mentioned in some of the foregoing contributors comments. How regrettable that some within those work groups referred to as being equally deserving, strike or adopt work practices so alien to any reasonable sense of fair play. But the armed forces, not saints nor above the law when they do wrong, volunteer and just soldier on not least to ensure free speech. If I get my Forces obc I will enjoy spending every last penny of it but, knowing my luck, I will up sat next to a person on my next cruise who if not moaning about this issue, will find something similarly obscure to generally berate P&O. Hay ho. I'll wait for the stream of vitriol to start streaming in ..........

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Don't take any notice of the usual moaners. Just apply for it and use it. The company is proud to award it to you and you should be proud to spend it. 👍😀

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I enjoy the military on board credit on Princess ships.

The only issue I have with P&O doing it is that they have been extremely discriminatory and limited it to exclusively British.

While Princess is generous and offers it to American, British, Australian and probably other major countries, P&O are being nasty and only offering it to British.

If they are going to implement a credit system like that then they should make it available to all that sail with them.

On P&O World Cruises there are several hundred Australians on those ships that help boost the profits and fork out lots of our own $$$ supporting P&O for decades since they started visiting this country.

If they are going to implement a credit system like that then they should make it available to all that sail with them.

So P&O should offer a discount for anybody employed in the military anywhere? No matter who they are shooting at?

A fairly radical idea.

I enjoy the military on board credit on Princess ships.

The only issue I have with P&O doing it is that they have been extremely discriminatory and limited it to exclusively British.

While Princess is generous and offers it to American, British, Australian and probably other major countries, P&O are being nasty and only offering it to British.

On P&O World Cruises there are several hundred Australians on those ships that help boost the profits and fork out lots of our own $$$ supporting P&O for decades since they started visiting this country.

Perhaps they will bring in more countries, originally Cunard only offered it to US service meant and women

Some house builders give discounts and special deals to people serving in the forces, some shops do NHS staff discounts, loads of places do student discount, civil servants can get Costco cards, pensioners get cheaper meals in pubs or cinema ticket discounts. Sometimes deals and bonuses are done as a "Thank You", or an acknowledgement of peoples hard work and commitment, other times it's done to help boost a companies profile with a large section of the community.

I think it's a nice thing that p&o are doing, and if they were giving OBC to anyone for whatever reason I would rather it be to current/ex service people than to people who complain about the state of the towel animals, or the attitude of the waiting staff.

At the end of the day it's a commercial decision and brings them in-line with the other parts of the company so it's hardly surprising: I just hope they expand it to other nationalities.

I agree with you,it's not as if they were forced to join up!

When I did my bit (23 years) I was sent places I didn't want to go, and did things I didn't want to do. And don't forget the forced separation from familly

I & my hubby are retired Police Officers with 55 years service between us - we wouldn't expect to get any favourable discount or entitlements from P & O because of this but I fully agree with our Forces Personnel getting them. We are proud of their service to the country & I don't see why they shouldn't be shown the nations gratitude in this small way.