This Thread Is To Be Used For All Discussions About HAL's On Board Smoking Policies

Host Walt

;) Believe it. :D

Not all of us hung around with the crowd that was into late 60's 'action'. :cool:

I said "Early 60's"

Are you saying that the "Crowd" at American universities never smoked?:)

:confused: Huh?

Where did I say that?

That would be quite ridiculous.

Edited by sail7seas

;) Believe it. :D

Not all of us hung around with the crowd that was into late 60's 'action'. :cool:

You definitely did not have to hang out with any particular crowd to smell it. Then or now. That's some kind of backhanded inference that those who know the smell hung out with the wrong crowd.

Edited by Lizzie68
typo

I've never tried smoking Marijuana and if I have been around it when others were smoking, I didn't know it. :o :eek: :D I fit HAL's demographic.

I grew up in the 60's more or less with my head in the sand. I knew nothing about anything outside my sheltered little world. Then in the mid-70's we went to DH's 10 year high school reunion. At that time we both smoked cigarettes and I'm sure our whole dinner table probably did too. Anyway, I came out of the Ladies Room and announced to our table "people are smoking the most sickening smelling cigarettes in the bathroom. Yuck." With eye rolls around the table, DH whispered "we'll talk later." That's when I learned what "it" smells like.

Edited by Linda&Vern

I grew up in the 60's more or less with my head in the sand. I knew nothing about anything outside my sheltered little world. Then in the mid-70's we went to DH's 10 year high school reunion. At that time we both smoked cigarettes and I'm sure our whole dinner table probably did too. Anyway, I came out of the Ladies Room and announced to our table "people are smoking the most sickening smelling cigarettes in the bathroom. Yuck." With eye rolls around the table, DH whispered "we'll talk later." That's when I learned what "it" smells like.

I can relate. That would have been me. :D You and I must have had our heads in the same sandbox. :D

It is clear some people cannot accept that not all of us were exposed to everything they were. For whatever reason, I managed to get through college in the 60's and never once touched a 'funny smelling cigarette' and if anyone around me was using them, I was not aware of it. :o That holds true right through today. I have never knowingly been present with someone smoking marijuana.

Of course, I knew there was such a thing, that lots of college kids were using it but it wasn't in my crowd or experience. :shrug:

Edited by sail7seas

Ditto for me too. College in the sixties.

I, however, was introduced to the smell by the campus police believe it or not. I was a "counselor" in my residence hall during my senior year and during one of our training sessions, as we were gathered in the apartment of the residence hall manager (which was on the first floor of the dorm) the campus police came. They passed around "samples" of the stuff (various grades) so we could learn to identify it by sight - and then burned some so that we would know the smell.

The rest of the girls in the dorm sure looked at all of us really funny when we emerged from the meeting along with the second hand smoke! :)

Ditto for me too. College in the sixties.

I, however, was introduced to the smell by the campus police believe it or not. I was a "counselor" in my residence hall during my senior year and during one of our training sessions, as we were gathered in the apartment of the residence hall manager (which was on the first floor of the dorm) the campus police came. They passed around "samples" of the stuff (various grades) so we could learn to identify it by sight - and then burned some so that we would know the smell.

The rest of the girls in the dorm sure looked at all of us really funny when we emerged from the meeting along with the second hand smoke! :)

Funny. :) Great story.

You definitely did not have to hang out with any particular crowd to smell it. Then or now. That's some kind of backhanded inference that those who know the smell hung out with the wrong crowd.
Exactly. I'm too young to have been in college in the 60s, but in the 70s at least one didn't have to hang out with any particular crowd. It isn't too hard to notice the smell is different from cigarettes. ;)

:D I had to google to find out what a 'grow-op' is.

I don't think I've ever heard that term used.

Perhaps I lived a sheltered life but I can honestly say that I am also a person who has never even seen marijuana nor do I know what it smells like. However I do read newspapers so I do know the term grow-op. It is used in the court news all the time.

Perhaps I lived a sheltered life but I can honestly say that I am also a person who has never even seen marijuana nor do I know what it smells like. However I do read newspapers so I do know the term grow-op. It is used in the court news all the time.

I suspect "grow-op" is what we've always called a grow house. I shall go check that out.

I, too, grew up in the late '50's/early to mid 60's and no one I knew smoked marijuana...cigarettes, yes...marijuana, no. Having said that, someone along the line pointed out the smell of marijuana...I don't recall when or where.

Anyone having cruised to the Caribbean and enjoyed the beaches on various islands, has smelled it...it's definitely in the air. Not rocket science to distinguish it from cigarette smoke.

Edited by innlady1

I have never heard the term either' date=' so Googling it I discovered it is primarily a Canadian word.[/quote']

Yeah:D...vindication ;).

I'm so happy to read my life hasn't been quite as sheltered as accused 'herein'. :D

Thanks, Murray's Pop. Glad I wasn't the only one who googled. :)

High school mid-late 60's California. The first time I smelled marijuana was in Art class -- our teacher was smoking pot with a student in the supply closet. :eek: I had to ask what that awful smell was. There is no mistaking that smell. And of course now it's legal here in the state of WA.

Medical Marijuana is now legal in MA though not under Federal law.

Medical Marijuana is now legal in MA though not under Federal law.

It's currently legal for recreational purposes in Washington State (home of HAL) and Colorado.

It's also legal for medical purposes in 23 states. See this map.

HAL's rules do not permit use of any illegal substances on board, but they have not directly addressed marijuana which may be legal while a HAL ship is in port in Seattle, Boston, any Alaska port and/or any California port and/or any Hawaii port.

Edited by Sow There

It's currently legal for recreational purposes in Washington State (home of HAL) and Colorado.

It's also legal for medical purposes in 23 states. See this map.

HAL's rules do not permit use of any illegal substances on board, but they have not directly addressed marijuana which may be legal while a HAL ship is in port in Seattle, Boston, any Alaska port and/or any California port and/or any Hawaii port.

Did you not read my previous post on your comment about marijuana?

Express Docs - page 7 - Please Note:

Persons in possession of illegal drugs are subject

to immediate disembarkation and reporting to law enforcement

authorities. This could result in legal proceedings. Please

keep in mind that the drug laws in many countries can be very

restrictive and the penalties severe.

For these purposes, marijuana, even if prescribed for medicinal

purposes, is considered an illegal drug as it is prohibited both

under U.S. law as well as the laws of all or most of the countries

that the ship visits. Prescription Marinol, which is used by

some as an alternative to marijuana, is permitted.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Please help my confusion.

Tobacco products are legal and, like alcoholic beverages are readily available to anyone and everyone to purchase, subject to LOCAL regulations (age limits, etc.) Yet many jurisdictions limit the USE of tobacco products such as no indoor smoking, no smoking in cars with youngsters, etc.

Marijuana is ILLEGAL to possess or use by FEDERAL LAW. Yes, some states have passed laws that fly in the face of Federal law and permit limited use of marijuana, but it's still a Federally banned substance.

Why then is smoking a cigarette so horrible and is being prohibited in most areas on board, but there's are no restrictions (as far as I know) against smoking pot anywhere on the ship?

Is second hand smoke from marijuana safe for those whom do not intentionally inhale it?

Just a side note, the city of Berkeley California is currently considering providing free marijuana to folks deemed to be below the poverty level as they define it ($30,000 per year) and the State of California is currently considering permitting the purchase of marijuana using food stamps.

In other words, as bad as cigarettes are for individual health, marijuana is far worse...yet there are no prohibitions on smoking marijuana anywhere because they are not deemed to be tobacco products.

I'm not looking forward to replicating in a HAL showroom my recent experience at a LA Philharmonic concert at the Hollywood Bowl (an outdoor venue with a no smoking rule) where the wafts of marijuana smoke made the experience unpleasant to say the least. Bowl management said the no smoking rule applied only to tobacco products.

Marijuana is usually smoked as a cigarette (they call them rollies here because people have to roll their own). The marijuana is mixed with tobacco and put into the cigarette paper. Someone else in another thread queried this, so I checked with my drug counsellor colleagues who confirmed it is always mixed.

So still a tobacco product and therefore same smoking rules would apply, whether legal or illegal. I don't think Hollywood Bowl would have a leg to stand on if somebody challenged this. I wonder if they'd be happy to change their sign to "Marijuana smoking only" ;)

Marijuana is usually smoked as a cigarette (they call them rollies here because people have to roll their own). The marijuana is mixed with tobacco and put into the cigarette paper. Someone else in another thread queried this, so I checked with my drug counsellor colleagues who confirmed it is always mixed.

So still a tobacco product and therefore same smoking rules would apply, whether legal or illegal. I don't think Hollywood Bowl would have a leg to stand on if somebody challenged this. I wonder if they'd be happy to change their sign to "Marijuana smoking only" ;)

Maybe that's what it's like where you are but I've never seen a joint rolled with tobacco. That said, my "experience" dates back 25-30 years:D. I've never rolled one myself, just seen it done.

Maybe that's what it's like where you are but I've never seen a joint rolled with tobacco. That said, my "experience" dates back 25-30 years:D. I've never rolled one myself, just seen it done.

I also have never seen a joint rolled with tobacco unless they are using hash oil:rolleyes:

Edited by CruiseWhere