This Thread Is To Be Used For All Discussions About HAL's On Board Smoking Policies

Host Walt

I'm afraid that's a question I cannot answer. And the situation may become rather blurred as more states legalise the use of marijuana.

And the couple in question could very well have been the couple that openly used their e-cigarettes in public areas (shops, bars) on the ship - and were never challenged by staff.

I hope HAL is not going to allow e-cigarettes in public areas. There's a second-hand smoke risk to them as well. Anyone know if HAL has a policy on them?

I hope HAL is not going to allow e-cigarettes in public areas. There's a second-hand smoke risk to them as well. Anyone know if HAL has a policy on them?

I think their policy states that they are allowed in staterooms and verandas, but only smoking areas around the ship.

From HAL's Express Docs:

Electronic Cigarettes are permitted in staterooms but not in other public

areas of the ship other than on outside decks designated as smoking areas.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Yes, HAL definitely has a policy. But like some other issues, they do not enforce it (or at least never on our 22-day cruise). This couple routinely strolled through the shopping area and sat in the bars with their e-cigs.

From an actual health perspective, no. Cigarettes contain many, hundreds, of additives (poisons). Marijuana is pretty much all natural. You can certainly say you don't like it second hand and don't want to be exposed, no argument from me, but in terms of which is "less healthy" I think that cigarettes win (lose?) that case.

Actually no. Natural does not mean toxin free. Many are the results of combustion. If you look at the components of Marijuana smoke it contains just as many toxic compounds as cigarette smoke. It also contains as much particulates which are a major contributor to stroke, heart and lung disease. Puff per puff it is actually worse then cigarette smoke, especially since smoking patterns have deeper inhale action with marijuana smoke so the particulates are drawn deeper into the lungs.

The saving grace is that the average marijuana smoker smokes far far less then the average cigarette smoker, as well as the number of smokers.

Edited by RDC1

Burning rope and burning fall leaves with a more pungent smell!:p

Yeah that, but then something sickly sweet added.

I live in somewhere near a grow-op (rural area) that vents at night. Once a week my bedroom fills with the smell. It makes me feel sick and gives me a migraine. If that's what getting high is, you can keep it.:eek:

No one knows where the grow op is, but one of these days it will get busted, like the other 4 around here.

Edited by Lizzie68

Most who fit HAL demographics, don't have to ask that question. We "came of age" in the 60's!

I've never tried smoking Marijuana and if I have been around it when others were smoking, I didn't know it. :o :eek: :D I fit HAL's demographic.

Yeah that, but then something sickly sweet added.

I live in somewhere near a grow-op (rural area) that vents at night. Once a week my bedroom fills with the smell. It makes me feel sick and gives me a migraine. If that's what getting high is, you can keep it.:eek:

No one knows where the grow op is, but one of these days it will get busted, like the other 4 around here.

:D I had to google to find out what a 'grow-op' is.

I don't think I've ever heard that term used.

What I want to know is how do you know what marijuana smells like? ;)

I am 75 years old. I was in medical school in the UK in the late 50's early 60's.

I find it quite difficult to believe that some people do not know what marijuana

smells like;)

Most who fit HAL demographics, don't have to ask that question. We "came of age" in the 60's!

I was thinking the same thing. Hard to imagine..

Another clue, if you have ever been to any authentic local beach shack bars in any of the islands, the odds are pretty high (no pun intended) that you have seen and or smelled someone smoking Mother Nature. I've seen it often.

Edited by EatonDoolittle
Spelling

I am 75 years old. I was in medical school in the UK in the late 50's early 60's.

I find it quite difficult to believe that some people do not know what marijuana

smells like;)

;) Believe it. :D

Not all of us hung around with the crowd that was into late 60's 'action'. :cool: