Lunch on Embarkation

Cosmic Rays

If you are in the Grills you can lunch in your allocated restaurant, otherwise it is Kings Court for sustenance! I am afraid your World Club status will not give you any special dining privilege.

Edited by LadyL1

Upon embarkation of Queen Mary 2 for a transatlantic crossing from New York to Southampton, what alternatives to Kings Court - zoo?? - might there be please? Might it depend upon World Club grade? Thanks
Hi Cosmic Rays,

If you arrive early, and can board early, then the Kings Court can be much quieter than later on, in my experience (so yes, to an extent, it does depend on CWC grade, if you're platinum or diamond you board earlier and the Kings Court is much calmer).

One of the reasons that the Kings Court seems like a "zoo" is that many people don't seek out the corners for empty tables. The starboard side is generally quieter than port, and the chefs galley can be very quiet indeed... (not now I've said that of course :( ). Remember that the Winter Garden has useful extra tables.

If it is a hot day, it is worth going up to Deck 12 briefly via the D stairs/lifts to check if the Boardwalk Cafe is open, if it is, then it is great to sit outside under patio umbrellas whilst having lunch (from an admittedly limited menu choice).

You might also try the Golden Lion and see if they are serving lunch. Sometimes they are on embarkation day, sometimes they're not.

Hope this helps :) .

Edited by pepperrn

Kings Court has four separate food stations. It isn't a single buffet location. So, newbies (understandably) get mired in figuring out which food is served where. Consequently, people don't move and flow as efficiently as later during a voyage (when they have figured things out).

If you aren't extremely fussy about what you want to eat (hot dish vs hamburger vs salad etc), you can go to one of the four stations which isn't quite as busy.

The Chef's Galley has hamburgers (and maybe ingredients for making simple sandwiches) and may not be as busy as the Carvery.

This is Cunard's description of the different venues in King's Court:

Quote: Enjoy a casual breakfast, lunch or late-night buffet in the relaxed self-service Kings Court restaurant. In the evenings, savour a unique experience as the restaurant transforms into four alternating intimate venues; Lotus: Asian cuisine, the Carvery: British-style carved roasts, La Piazza: Italian cuisine and the Chef's Galley: as the chef reveal culinary secrets. End Quote...

Lotus and the Carvery seem most busy (to me) on boarding-day, because they may be the first venues people run across. Also, as Pepper mentioned, there isn't as much seating in the areas closest to these venues, so people seem to "pile up" looking for a free table… As Pepper suggests, simply go to the area between the Carvery/Lotus and the Piazza/Chef's Gallery where there it is easier to find an empty table…. Or, go to the Winter Garden…

Have a great voyage!

I have only once subjected myself to the Kings Court Zoo on a New York departure and that was once too many.

Since then I discovered the Golden Lion Pub is open....I've never found it not open on a New York TA departure. It is usually very quiet because few people know its open or serving food. Its a great way to start a TA. :o

I have only once subjected myself to the Kings Court Zoo on a New York departure and that was once too many.

Since then I discovered the Golden Lion Pub is open....I've never found it not open on a New York TA departure. It is usually very quiet because few people know its open or serving food. Its a great way to start a TA. :o

I too have had an enjoyable lunch on sailing day in New York at the Golden Lion. Unfortunately, last May in Southampton on embarkation day lunch was not being served there.

Hello Jim...........

Did you ever get my email?