El Cheapo Cruises Thread

Well we had quite a look around the options for late 2016 & early 2017 and have decided to play cabin lotto with the balcony guarantees. It means we can do around 21 nights in 2017 at the guarantee price (combo of NZ & Sth Pac) for around the same cost we were looking at for 14 nights in a D2 on Radiance to NZ. If we get E cabins we will wear that. We think the deal, with balcony discounts is worth the savings.

Thanks Sarah for starting this fantastic thread. Our cruise addiction has been super enabled and we are loving it :)

Cabin lottery my favourite game: :D

I just booked the Radiance of the Seas TP for April 2017. Snag another balcony cabin for $5013 17 nights so its under $300 per night as a solo. Good times. RCL deal been really good for me as a solo. So I wait to see where I end up this time :)

Edited by icat2000

Cabin lottery my favourite game: :D

I just booked the Radiance of the Seas TP for April 2017. Snag another balcony cabin for $5013 17 nights so its under $300 per night as a solo. Good times. RCL deal been really good for me as a solo. So I wait to see where I end up this time

Sounds like a great deal for you

please tell me what TP stands for

Thanks

Erin

Sarah - we have booked some Sth Pac and NZ balcony guarantees for between $120 and $135 per night each. I thought that was too good not to try. We have previously booked a D2 on Radiance NZ for about $187 each and that 50-60 difference makes the gty so worth trying. We are nervous, to be honest, but shall post our allocations when we get them. looking forward to seeing what you get this time. We are a bit cynical and think that they may have given some early bookers D cabins to entice people like us that presumed we would more likely get and E. In saying that we did get a last minute D allocation for a gty a few years back :)

The Radiance TP trips as well as the aussie circumnavigation always go for a higher price when we have looked, so I would say your price is a good one for Radiance. She is a lot of people's favourite (us included), but we are giving Explorer and Voyager more of a go due to price and their new diamond lounge locations. We had previously only done one cruise Voyager, but were not diamond at that time. Every cruise is so different even when on the same ship. We love that aspect. :)

Got one of my balcony guarantee allocations. Booked Radiance for early 2017 to NZ and have been allocated cabin 1000. If I had a list of what I would least pick for myself it would be deck 10 forward. I was hoping for deck 7 rear. It made me laugh. I have a bit of time to think about this. It seems cabin lotto may not be a game I am good at :)

For those not familiar with Radiance it is the most forward cabin on deck 10 right next to the bridge.

Edited by goodycruising

Got one of my balcony guarantee allocations. Booked Radiance for early 2017 to NZ and have been allocated cabin 1000. If I had a list of what I would least pick for myself it would be deck 10 forward. I was hoping for deck 7 rear. It made me laugh. I have a bit of time to think about this. It seems cabin lotto may not be a game I am good at

For those not familiar with Radiance it is the most forward cabin on deck 10 right next to the bridge.

I made inquiries about the upgrades when I was booking the Voyager a few weeks ago, I was told all the upgrades were at the front of the ship, so I stayed with my first choice which was a Virtual balcony mid ships, a real one would have cost another $1100pp in that position

Since its only a short cruise it wasn't worth the money

For me the walk is too far to almost everything from the front of the ship

I hope you get better food than we did in January, the bistro food was so boring and repetitive that the main dining room was overrun on sea days, they tried putting a BBQ lunch near the pool but to no avail, the staff in the M/D area were exhausted trying to feed us all in the short time that its open

I made inquiries about the upgrades when I was booking the Voyager a few weeks ago, I was told all the upgrades were at the front of the ship, so I stayed with my first choice which was a Virtual balcony mid ships, a real one would have cost another $1100pp in that position

Since its only a short cruise it wasn't worth the money

For me the walk is too far to almost everything from the front of the ship

I hope you get better food than we did in January, the bistro food was so boring and repetitive that the main dining room was overrun on sea days, they tried putting a BBQ lunch near the pool but to no avail, the staff in the M/D area were exhausted trying to feed us all in the short time that its open

Thanks for that info. I find it hard to walk too much due to health reasons and a virtual mid ship sounds excellent. The only thing about the cabin we have been assigned is that it is not far from the lift to the Park Cafe and Solarium, as well as directly down to the theatre, but it is a long, long, long way from the main dining room and Windjammer. Still thinking about it...

We did a cruise January a couple of years ago and now we only do outside school holidays. They just have the ships booked to maximum capacity and the cruises Feb/March are so much more relaxed and enjoyable.

I still waiting on my allocation on Radiance.

All I know is : Deluxe Ocean view Strm w/Bal Guarantee

At least we had dreams of a nicer position while that was on the booking! :)

I am going to start another thread about guarantees as I don't want to hijack the theme of this thread.

Edited by goodycruising

Strange! The best cruise food I've experienced has been on the Radiance! Maybe a different head Chef?

These days we just serve ourselves from the breakfast bar in the MDR , ordering just toast & coffee from the waiter.

Similarly for lunch we serve ourselves from the Tutti Salad bar, just ordering a drink from the waiter.

We do enjoy the 3-course meal each evening in the MDR before partaking of whatever evening entertainment is being offered.

We are usually in & out within 30-45 minutes each breakfast & lunch times depending on how lively or not our table-mates are!

Strange! The best cruise food I've experienced has been on the Radiance! Maybe a different head Chef?

These days we just serve ourselves from the breakfast bar in the MDR , ordering just toast & coffee from the waiter.

Similarly for lunch we serve ourselves from the Tutti Salad bar, just ordering a drink from the waiter.

We do enjoy the 3-course meal each evening in the MDR before partaking of whatever evening entertainment is being offered.

We are usually in & out within 30-45 minutes each breakfast & lunch times depending on how lively or not our table-mates are!

It certainty sounds like you had a veeeeeery different experience to us food wise - It was the worst food we had ever had on a cruise and we have been on 26 cruises

Even the MDR wasn't much chop

Everyone was complaining

Thanks for that info. I find it hard to walk too much due to health reasons and a virtual mid ship sounds excellent. The only thing about the cabin we have been assigned is that it is not far from the lift to the Park Cafe and Solarium, as well as directly down to the theatre, but it is a long, long, long way from the main dining room and Windjammer. Still thinking about it...

We did a cruise January a couple of years ago and now we only do outside school holidays. They just have the ships booked to maximum capacity and the cruises Feb/March are so much more relaxed and enjoyable.

At least we had dreams of a nicer position while that was on the booking! :)

I am going to start another thread about guarantees as I don't want to hijack the theme of this thread.

This cruise was right at the end of January, so it wasn't overbooked or full of kids. Just crappy food

There was nothing much to do during the day, everything was about something at the Spa - a ruse to get you to spend money

The bad food is to get you to eat at their specialty restaurants

We were on the Rhapsody in March, food a bit better but the same deal with the Spa - They all seem to be doing this now, cheap lead in price and then everything nice costs extra

I was on Rhapsody in January and the food in the MRD and buffet were fine for us.

The activities and activities staff on board were all great fun.

In fact we rebooked on board and enjoyed another cruise on Rhapsody in February.

Never spent a cent in the pay venues or the spa.

Again everyone's perception of things differs but as long as Royal keep things to the standard we experienced and the prices we have paid for our cruises we will give them our business quite often.

Edited by woodyren

Ship Name: Golden Princess Cruise Code: 5530 Departure Date: Saturday, 19 September 2015 Cruise Name: San Francisco to Sydney Nights: 28 Departing: San Francisco, California, Usa

From $2144 per person inside or $3199 per person balcony.

Ship Name: Golden Princess Cruise Code: 5530 Departure Date: Saturday, 19 September 2015 Cruise Name: San Francisco to Sydney Nights: 28 Departing: San Francisco, California, Usa

From $2144 per person inside or $3199 per person balcony.

Excellent value ..... and For Kiwis in NZ dollars..

TWIN SHARE

Interior Cabin WAS $4949pp NOW $2409pp

Obstructed Ocean View WAS $5395pp NOW $2739pp

Ocean View WAS $6379pp NOW $3069pp

Balcony Cbin WAS $7369pp NOW $3509pp

US$100 ONBOARD CREDIT PER CABIN!

CONDITIONS

* Full payment is due within 2 days of reservation made

* Pricing shown is Cruise Only

Guaranteed (Interior) $2,666 or Balcony Stateroom (Guaranteed) $4,178

Ship Name: Radiance Of The Seas

Cruise Code: RD21SEP15

Departure Date: Monday, 21 September 2015

Cruise Name: Hawaii to Sydney

Nights: 18

Departing: Honolulu - Oahu - Hawaii

Per person it is $2162

Definitely a good price on a lovely ship :) will definitely look out for one like this next year!

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

When we have looked at that trip in the past the balcony prices have been pretty expensive, but the non guarantee prices are really over the top now. The balcony guarantee is a good price though for sure. The good thing about research and following this interesting thread is that you get a feel for what normal prices are. There is a similar Celebrity Solstice trip a couple of weeks later (with almost the same itinerary), and the balcony prices are quite a bit cheaper once you ignore the balcony upgrade/guarantee offer.

She is a very lovely ship though. :)

Guaranteed (Interior) $2,666 or Balcony Stateroom (Guaranteed) $4,178

Ship Name: Radiance Of The Seas

Cruise Code: RD21SEP15

Departure Date: Monday, 21 September 2015

Cruise Name: Hawaii to Sydney

Nights: 18

Departing: Honolulu - Oahu - Hawaii

Per person it is $2162

Thanks Sarah for keeping us updated!

That's good pricing for a solo Int. (I'd be willing to pay that amount) I tried to find that price on the RCI website but it wasn't giving me it! You really have to 'shop' around.

Shame I am travel free this year......

Thanks Sarah for keeping us updated!

That's good pricing for a solo Int. (I'd be willing to pay that amount) I tried to find that price on the RCI website but it wasn't giving me it! You really have to 'shop' around.

Shame I am travel free this year......

Gty interior (not solo) available for this Radiance cruise on USA TA website for what works out to be $1574 AUD (including all taxes etc) after doing the current forex conversion. That's a bit cheaper than they are offering on the RCL web in Aus at present. Probably get some OBC or your grats paid as well.

There is also a senior discount showing on my go to price monitoring website so the price may even be $100pp cheaper if so.

Would really like to book this but will only return home next week after being on the road (well the seas as well) since early May.

Edited by woodyren

TODAY'S 1 DAY SALE!! Today's 1 Day Sale will see you flying to Santiago (Chile) on the 27th February 2016 and staying 1nt pre cruise before embarking the Rhapsody of the Seas in Valparaiso for your 4* full board cruise visiting Puerto Montt (Chile), Chilean Fjords, Strait of Magellan, Punta Arenas (Chile), Ushuaia (Argentina), Cape Horn (Chile), Puerto Madryn (Argentina), Punta Del Esta (Uruguay), Montevideo (Uruguay) and Buenos Aires staying onboard overnight in port before flying back to Sydney (Call for regional's).

This package has NEVER been this low in price and also includes all your port fee's, taxes, food and entertainment whilst onboard. Or If you’d like to experience more of the magic of South America, why not add additional nights in Santiago and/or Buenos Aires, we can even arrange a Tango lesson for you!

For bookings made today on this deal the price starts from just $2999pp, to secure your stateroom today call us on the number above or book online 24/7!

RCI Radiance of the Seas Trans pacific Balcony special $2217 will finish tomorow. Celebrity and Carnival are doing similar cruise for twice the cost and HAL even less for twice more.

Another good special with RCI is 14 nights cruise Explorer of the Seas Barcelona to Dubai, inside $A1078 out $A1293 and balcony $A1641.

RCI Radiance of the Seas Trans pacific Balcony special $2217 will finish tomorow. Celebrity and Carnival are doing similar cruise for twice the cost and HAL even less for twice more.

Another good special with RCI is 14 nights cruise Explorer of the Seas Barcelona to Dubai, inside $A1078 out $A1293 and balcony $A1641.

Last night I was looking at the Radiance cruise for September 16 and got 3/4 way through booking, then thought I should ask better half. Price was 2800 for guaranteed balcony, today that is now $5,765. Later today I saw this year's cruise for $2217, and thought well maybe I will get that price next year.

One thing I have found from all the emails I get and reading here is there is always another cruise with a lower price and some perks.

Having only cruised once with another booked can experienced cruisers please say whether it is better to book early or last minute? I still haven't managed to better the deal I got for November booked in May, on advice read on this forum.