Switching from NCL direct to a TA

EllieinNJ

Almost two months ago I booked my next cruise on a whim directly with NCL because they were offering some OBC which was expiring that day. Since then I have been checking almost daily with them and online TA's to see if any better offers were out there. Now the 60 days are almost up and the best I could do from an online TA was an additional $50 in OBC or a $75 rebate after the cruise. Has anyone ever received this rebate? Also, if I switch to a TA and NCL starts offering more money in OBC, can the TA get it for me? I thought I read in another post that NCL was having another sale at the end of this month.

If you are less than 60 days since you booked, you can switch to a TA. I would not switch for $50. Please ask the TA what they charge/do they charge for changes/cancellations. Some will charge you to make any changes or cancel.

Also, what is the policy of the TA if you wish to switch back to NCL?

This is a subject my husband and I have talked about many times. We are scheduled for our 3rd NCL cruise this month, all of which have been booked through a TA. Is there a benefit to booking directly with NCL or TA? If so, which is preferred? We are already planning another cruise with NCL but are not sure which is better. Any advice would be great, thanks!

Sent from my QMV7A using Forums mobile app

This is a subject my husband and I have talked about many times. We are scheduled for our 3rd NCL cruise this month, all of which have been booked through a TA. Is there a benefit to booking directly with NCL or TA? If so, which is preferred? We are already planning another cruise with NCL but are not sure which is better. Any advice would be great, thanks!

Some people dislike booking with a TA as they feel that if they book direct with NCL they are in "control" of the booking. Since you have booked with a TA several times, you probably already know that they "own" the booking and any changes, price adjustments, etc. must go through them rather than NCL.

The major incentive to having a TA is that they very often can offer increased amounts of OBC and other incentives over and above what you will get for the booking from NCL. You are double dipping, so to speak.

Some will also argue that the TA, by benefit of their business relationship with NCL, has a little more clout with NCL when a problem arises, attempting to get upgraded, etc. than the average cruiser who booked direct with NCL does.

If we can save a few hundred more by booking with a TA we will generally do that. We like to use ones that can get a "group rate" for a lower base fare and some extra OBC in addition.

If you are less than 60 days since you booked, you can switch to a TA.

You're not limited to 60 days... I switched my reservation after more than 120 days had passed since my original booking date. TA offered the same price I already had, but kicked in an additional $300.00 OBC that was too good to pass up. He also included a bottle of sparkling wine & chocolate-covered strawberries upon arrival. I found my TA through a partner program offered by my employer.

A few months after switching the reservation, NCL advertised (Wave Promo) a much lower price ($1000 savings) for the same sailing dates & cabin category. I notified my TA, he contacted NCL, and an updated confirmation arrived in my inbox later that day... with an additional $100.00 OBC. However, I did lose the bottle of wine & strawberries because of the new invoice date.

I just always read about different upgrades, obc's, etc but when I asked our TA about those she says we can't do it (seriously bummed about not getting the "kids sail free" promo). Is that something more likely to happen directly through NCL or are we really not able to upgrade or change? I find it all very confusing.

Since my original post, I googled reviews of this TA and out of 24 reviews on Yelp, 23 were bad so I will not book with them. I don't understand why we cannot mention any specific TA's on CC. I almost made a huge mistake. I know it's the rules but it would help us so much, especially if they had a block of rooms for a discounted price or a decent amount of OBC.

You're not limited to 60 days... I switched my reservation after more than 120 days had passed since my original booking date. TA offered the same price I already had, but kicked in an additional $300.00 OBC that was too good to pass up. He also included a bottle of sparkling wine & chocolate-covered strawberries upon arrival. I found my TA through a partner program offered by my employer.

A few months after switching the reservation, NCL advertised (Wave Promo) a much lower price ($1000 savings) for the same sailing dates & cabin category. I notified my TA, he contacted NCL, and an updated confirmation arrived in my inbox later that day... with an additional $100.00 OBC. However, I did lose the bottle of wine & strawberries because of the new invoice date.

Not the case anymore per NCL. You only have 60 days from time of first booking to transfer to a TA.This policy has been in effect for at least a year.

I just always read about different upgrades, obc's, etc but when I asked our TA about those she says we can't do it (seriously bummed about not getting the "kids sail free" promo). Is that something more likely to happen directly through NCL or are we really not able to upgrade or change? I find it all very confusing.

Sometimes with new promos you cannot cancel and rebook the reservation.

Here's a link to the NCL website with the current info:

http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/guest-reservation-transfer-faq

I just always read about different upgrades, obc's, etc but when I asked our TA about those she says we can't do it (seriously bummed about not getting the "kids sail free" promo). Is that something more likely to happen directly through NCL or are we really not able to upgrade or change? I find it all very confusing.Sent from my QMV7A using Forums mobile app

Not sure why the TA is saying that. Sometimes promos are for new bookings only, and you might need to cancel and rebook, both with a TA or NCL direct. You need to be aware of what the TA's policy is in those cases. You may be dinged a cancellation fee with the TA. As far as free upgrades after price drops, the TA should be willing to call NCL and look into it for you. Ours has always been willing to do this for us. You will have to watch prices yourself and alert the TA. No guarantee that NCL will be able to do anything for you, but we have gotten cheap upsells or OBC.

Sometimes with new promos you cannot cancel and rebook the reservation.

Not sure what you mean by that. With NCL, you can always cancel and rebook if necessary prior to final payment. They are very good about working with you. With a TA, there might be a change or cancellation fee, sometimes $100, but if the deal is good enough, it is possible to do.

I have booked directly with NCL once, and I have booked with a TA five times. NCL has never been able to match, or exceed the OBC that I have gotten from a TA.

The one time I booked directly with NCL, I transferred that reservation to a TA (which was easy by the way), and got much better OBC. If you do decide to use a TA, first look around, because there are some good deals to be had (perks), ask questions, and make sure they have some experience under their belt.

Hope this helps.;)

Not the case anymore per NCL. You only have 60 days from time of first booking to transfer to a TA.This policy has been in effect for at least a year.

That may now be the case... I originally booked through NCL in April of 2013, then changed to the TA in August of 2013. Glad I was able to save before the policy changed... or at least enforced.

I just found another online TA who doesn't give much OBC ($25) but gives free standard trip insurance. Would you switch with that?

If it a company out of Long Island that starts with D and ends with C, good luck trying to collect on the insurance. I paid extra for the upgraded version and was denied my copays when I broke my foot on the Breakaway. I am still fighting them. Not worth it in my opinion go with the TA that gives better OBC, at least you will get that.

OP is not sailing for almost 400 days from now, so OP can cancel and rebook with a TA. Unless your past final payment anythig is doable.

A good TA - more likely a local one Vs a big online TA would give so much more than a freebie or a higher OBC or an illegal rebate. A good local TA has solid relationships with their reps at cruise lines / tour companies and can often help should the need arise. Be careful which insurance is provided, free or not - insurance policies vary greatly. Lots to consider!

OP is not sailing for almost 400 days from now, so OP can cancel and rebook with a TA. Unless your past final payment anythig is doable.

This is true,but the operative word here is " transfer " not "cancel".

Of course you can cancel the booking and start a new booking with an outside TA. I don't think deposits are returned immediatly and you run the risk of losing the cabin you selected and any promotional offers given at time of original booking,but if a better deal comes along...go for it!

For years I would hang on to my bookings until right before final payment and then transfer to a personnal friend who is a TA. Now I have to make sure to transfer within 60 days or it can't be done.I chose my cabin very carefully and wouldn't want to lose it by cancelling and rebooking.

I've booked both ways - TA and cruiseline direct. The issue with the TA is they're not available 24/7 and they go on vacation too. If you learn of a fare drop or a promo and your TA isn't available the cruise line won't even discuss your reservation. I booked this upcoming cruise directly with NCL and depwnding on which rep you get, they'll work hard to find youva great deal, even getting approval to give OBC that you request yourself. I take a proactive approach to booking for myself but I still have my doubts. I booked an OX oceanview guarantee for me and my two travel mates, then after several weeks we decided to go for the extra $120 per person to change to BX balcony guarantee. NCL assigned us to a deck 8 balcony and I called to ask if we could get above deck 8. The rep said she had an idea and wentvto check on my question, returning 20 minutes later to offer us a mid ship balcony mini suite which I accepted on the spot, while drivingbto see my 90 yr old mom in the hospital . After arriving home late in the evening I got online to research the mini suite and saw a horrid review of the one right next to ours. I recommend you be sweet but a bit brazen in asking for what you want BUT do your homework and be prepared.

If it a company out of Long Island that starts with D and ends with C, good luck trying to collect on the insurance. I paid extra for the upgraded version and was denied my copays when I broke my foot on the Breakaway. I am still fighting them. Not worth it in my opinion go with the TA that gives better OBC, at least you will get that.

I've booked both ways - TA and cruiseline direct. The issue with the TA is they're not available 24/7 and they go on vacation too. If you learn of a fare drop or a promo and your TA isn't available to discuss it, the cruise line won't even discuss your reservation. I booked this upcoming cruise directly with NCL and depending on which rep you get, they'll work hard to find you a great deal, even getting approval to give OBC that you request yourself. I take a proactive approach to booking for myself but I still have my doubts. I booked an OX oceanview guarantee for me and my two travel companions, then after several weeks we decided to go for the extra $120 per person to change to BX balcony guarantee. NCL assigned us to a deck 8 balcony and I called to ask if we could get above deck 8. The rep said she had an idea and went to check on my question, returning 20 minutes later to offer us a mid ship balcony mini suite which I accepted on the spot, while driving to see my 90 yr old mom in the hospital . After arriving home late in the evening I got online to research the mini suite and saw a horrid review of the one right next to ours. I recommend you be sweet but a bit brazen in asking for what you want BUT do your homework and be prepared.
I'm now thinking I should have left well enough alone. Who knows if there'll be enough closet space for three single senior women. Maybe the mini suites are designed for families with children.