tipping guide (for all of you who want good service with the purchase of a suite)

I have never tipped upfront and I've asked for services when we first meet...fridge emptied, extra fruit, etc. (if things weren't done after sending an email to the pre-concierge) and have never had an issue with service. Those that threat the Butler with respect and a smile, get the same service, if not better, as those that tip upfront, IMHO.

I could not agree more. But instead of holding my tips till the end I tip as I go all week weather it is a waiter bar tender who ever it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have never tipped upfront and I've asked for services when we first meet...fridge emptied, extra fruit, etc. (if things weren't done after sending an email to the pre-concierge) and have never had an issue with service. Those that threat the Butler with respect and a smile, get the same service, if not better, as those that tip upfront, IMHO.

In all my over 30 cruises, I've seen so many men giving out tips the first day, with a slap on the back while saying "you take care of me and I'll continue to take care of you". If they only knew the looks on the crew members' faces after doing it...and it is not a smile on their faces. One crew member, after getting this treatment, said to me "I guess he thought I wouldn't give him the same service I give everyone, unless he gave me some money". Oh well, to each their own. Tip how you want, it is your money and your decision.

So true. I agree and I would never give a cheesy you take care of me and I take care if you slap on the back tacky treatment that is for the narcissist.

Edited by Mr Robberts

I could not agree more. But instead of holding my tips till the end I tip as I go all week weather it is a waiter bar tender who ever it is.

By you saying "I will be seated in front of you, off the ship faster than you and eating better than you., it surely doesn't seem that you agree. I can guarantee that respect and a smile will get someone seat just as fast as you, get off the ship just as fast and will be eating just as good as you. Edited by NLH Arizona

By you saying "I will be seated in front of you, off the ship faster than you and eating better than you., it surely doesn't seem that you agree. I can guarantee that respect and a smile will get someone seat just as fast as you, get off the ship just as fast and will be eating just as good as you.

Why do you assume I do not treat people with respect or smiles. I get that great service and tip

Why do you assume I do not treat people with respect or smiles. I get that great service and tip

Never said you didn't treat one with respect and smiles, just saying that there is no need to tip up front, because with respect and smiles, you will get the same exact service as someone who tips up front.

Never said you didn't treat one with respect and smiles, just saying that there is no need to tip up front, because with respect and smiles, you will get the same exact service as someone who tips up front.

I agree it is not like I introduce my self and say hello here is your tip now treat me great. Usually I do not have sweets more like connected mini suites and when we first get to rooms and finally meet the steward there is a list like empty fridge split beds open doors ect then there is a tip given and services completed when they can embarkation day is a bad day real busy and these services may not get done until later after the beginning rush.

I agree it is not like I introduce my self and say hello here is your tip now treat me great. Usually I do not have sweets more like connected mini suites and when we first get to rooms and finally meet the steward there is a list like empty fridge split beds open doors ect then there is a tip given and services completed when they can embarkation day is a bad day real busy and these services may not get done until later after the beginning rush.

And I usually just ask nicely and every thing is done right away (in all my experiences, it has been done right then, except for one and it took only 1 hour), whether it was my first two cruises in a balcony cabin or my last two in a penthouse. Like I said, one doesn't always have to tip upfront to get the same type of service.

So for those that want to tip upfront, feel free. But for those going on their first cruise that think they have to tip upfront, to get excellent service, you don't.

I can no longer continue a need to get all my tip money ready for my next cruise. I think this time I will just stuff a hundred dollar bill into everyone's pocket that I meet along the way. While wearing a mink so that I am noticed.

I just stuff about a thousand dollars in fifties in my breast pocket. Then I wait until the butler, concierge, waiter, steward, bartender makes a mistake. At that point I remove one of the bills and tear it into little pieces and say, "Too bad you goofed. That would have been added to your tip!" Then I sprinkle the pieces overboard.

They shape up real fast.

scrooge-mcduck.jpg

It has nothing to do with that, 1 of my first jobs was a waitress job and I can relate to the people in the service industry, they work very hard on their feet for long hours and getting paid crap by the employer, so yes I tip well because of it and yes I believe I get better service because I do.

Waitress? I thought you were a guy. So sorry my bad

I personally tip $100 on the first day even when I do an inside or ov

I don't bring a bunch of singles I just bring about $1000in $5's and of course $2's and hand them out to who ever I feel deserves it. Crew officers other pax.

I tip guest services as well when they answer a question to my liking

The guest services thing does wonders when there is a long line as they call me to the front.

Oh and before I hand out tips I Fold them into origami sculptures while they wait for me to hand it to them

This takes sometime of course but it allows an opportunity for us to cement our friendship and for them to tell me about their families back home

The way I see it the more money I can give out on a cruise the better it makes me feel and especially so when others see me handing out tips

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

I just stuff about a thousand dollars in fifties in my breast pocket. Then I wait until the butler, concierge, waiter, steward, bartender makes a mistake. At that point I remove one of the bills and tear it into little pieces and say, "Too bad you goofed. That would have been added to your tip!" Then I sprinkle the pieces overboard.

They shape up real fast.

scrooge-mcduck.jpg

Just spit out my drink love it.

Not sure if this is a "tongue in cheek" type post but think the OP just wants to stir the pot. Call me stupid but I've always been under the impression tipping is for good service rendered, not to show off what $ you supposedly have. Personally I resent the nasty remarks about being walked over, treated better. OP you're a real piece of work.

Not sure if this is a "tongue in cheek" type post but think the OP just wants to stir the pot. Call me stupid but I've always been under the impression tipping is for good service rendered, not to show off what $ you supposedly have. Personally I resent the nasty remarks about being walked over, treated better. OP you're a real piece of work.

Just an FYI. The op is new cc member

That tells me he is a regular in disguise

Fun thread though for a lazy Sunday just back from 2 weeks on the beach

Just an FYI. The op is new cc member

That tells me he is a regular in disguise

Fun thread though for a lazy Sunday just back from 2 weeks on the beach

Did you tip your life guard ?

This thread is hilarious.

We not only tip before during and after the cruise, I also bake home made chocolate chip cookies and hand them out as we embark on the ship. I sprinkle cookie crumbs to our cabin door so we never forget where we are. The crew like my chocolate chip cookies....gets me to the front of any line. :D

This thread is hilarious.

We not only tip before during and after the cruise, I also bake home made chocolate chip cookies and hand them out as we embark on the ship. I sprinkle cookie crumbs to our cabin door so we never forget where we are. The crew like my chocolate chip cookies....gets me to the front of any line. :D

Mr Robberts, Maybe if you tip Janpo before you embark he will share he's cookies with you and you won't have to spend all that $$$$.... Plus maybe he will let you stand at the front of the line with him( MAKE IT A REAL BIG TIP) I don't think you could sit in front of me.... I have a forward facing suit... You can't win them ALL...:p

Mr Robberts, Maybe if you tip Janpo before you embark he will share he's cookies with you and you won't have to spend all that $$$$.... Plus maybe he will let you stand at the front of the line with him( MAKE IT A REAL BIG TIP) I don't think you could sit in front of me.... I have a forward facing suit... You can't win them ALL...:p

You can't stay in the cabin all trip I sit in font of you then😜

So all the people who say tipping in the beginning is wrong and tipping is for after service only never ask their butler or steward for anything when the meet them. Like put the beds together or apart. Extra pillows. Empty the fridge. More towels ect. You just met them say hi and then they go on your way.

I'm actually a little confused now. I thought we were talking about tipping the butler & concierge, but you don't have access to these people. They are not interchangeable with the steward. In a suite you have 3 people: the concierge, the butler AND the steward. Of the 3, the steward is already recompensed by their share of the $12 pp pd Daily Service Charge (DSC).

Edited by sjbdtz

He is a SHE tyvm....:)

I add on a tip to any specialty restaurant and beverage (whether it be coffee or soda) as I go along and make sure to tip the room person towards the end of the trip. But in my opinion tipping to early in some instances depending on the person could reduce the incentive for them to perform well.

Although I had no popcorn, lucky for me I purchased licorice this morning and some nestle bars :)