Celebrity Summit to Bermuda

Salamander88

Does anybody have any tips or anything for this specific cruise? (i.e bring your own towels or cool spots to go on the boat/island)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All linens are provided by Celebrity Ships... Including as many as you want for your cabin, and Beach Towels to take ashore (mind you they are logoed)

Beach Towels are replaced each evening for the following Port Day

As for other tips & tricks in addition to asking here... you might want to sign up / check out the Roll Call for your particular sailing.

Can be done by looking for the link at the top of ths page... just above your post / Question here... It is marked NEW Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Joining the Roll Call means you'll be able to chat with others on your cruise

Great way to get travel tips, meet others (Celebrity hosts a Meet & Mingle Connections Party aboard) and maybe even save some money (share excursions, cab rides etc)

Hope you enjoy your upcoming cruise,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Does anybody have any tips or anything for this specific cruise? (i.e bring your own towels or cool spots to go on the boat/island)

No need to bring your own towels, the ship will place them in your room the night before you get to Bermuda.

Bermuda is a beautiful island which is very expensive. Without knowing your likes/dislikes its difficult to know what to recommend.

Lots of great beaches, good golf and shopping. The shops at the pier basically mirror the stores in Hamilton.

I would recommend going to Harbor nights in Hamilton on Wednesday nights, big street fair.

Transportation is easy with lots of taxis, buses and the ferries. You can get a pass for your entire stay. They are sold outside the ship when you dock.

Would also recommend going to the ports of call board for Bermuda and also the roll call for your cruise. The roll call provides you with other people who are on the cruise with you and may have set up excursions, etc.

We are also on this cruise on 8/24. Went the same time last August. I love the Sunset bar at the aft of Deck 10. It is never crowded, and has the best view.

If you have any tendency to seasickness, if it is the itinerary that travels along the Atlantic coast from/to New Jersey, then be prepared for the possibility of encountering some rough seas.

Some people who were unprepared have become very sick on that route.

Meclizine is provided free of charge at guest relations, but many prefer or need to use non-medicinal preventatives.

try elbow beach instead of horse shoe the first day. you can go on the public side and rent chairs or go to coco reef and purchase day passes (in advance) . beautiful place!!!! no crowds.

take a taxi tour of the island. we did it on a whim and it was the highlight of the trip!!!

I'll echo the Coco Reef recommendation. It's $59 p/p for the day and includes a good lunch with a glass of wine, beer or a non-alcoholic drink. I was there two weeks ago and it was a wonderful day. If you like snorkeling Tobacco Bay is great but I haven't been there for over a year and I think there have been some changes since then.

On the ship, Qsine is a fun place to eat but there is a surcharge.

We booked Coco Reef. Can someone tell me how to get there? On Summit soon.

I know the route 7 bus (from the dockyard to Hamilton) stops at Elbow Beach on the way to Hamilton....it's about a 50min ride or if you take a ferry to Hamilton (20min ride on the fast ferry) you can take the Route 2 bus (from Hamilton to Ore Road) to Elbow Beach which is a 17min ride.

If any of that helps lol you can look up all routes at this link: http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt?open=512&objID=959&PageID=0&cached=true&mode=2&userID=2

I also did Coco Reef resort! It was fabulous! You can take a cab for $40 each way or the #7 bus. Just tell the bus driver you are going to Coco Reef resort. It is a stop or two after the Elbow Beach stop and is right by the college. It is a very long walk down (and back up) the hill from the main road to the resort. I recommend going to Horseshoe Bay on the THIRD day, not the second day, when many people are sticking close to the ship. Departure is not til 4:00 pm, so if you go early, you will have plenty of time. We left by 9:00 am and it was pretty empty when we got there, but packed by the time we left. A woman I met on the bus back told me she had been there the day before and there were 3 times as many people! Also, at Horseshoe Bay, walk down the beach a little bit past the crowds. I couldn't believe how many people just plopped down right by the entrance and were sitting 6 deep!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1799622&page=14

You might want to pop over and join your roll-call thread (link above). You may find several folks there who have done this particular itinerary before. :cool:

To do something different try Tabaco Bay near St. Georges, nice beach good snorkling and water as warm as your bath tub, never crowded, plus snacks and chair rental place.

J.

I thought that Tobacco Bay was dirty. There was quite a bit of litter floating around. The area around the bay is interesting.

We went to John Smith's Bay Park which has a nice beach that isn't crowded. It has facilities and lifeguards. There are little alcoves that you can hang out in.

I would also recommend Spittal Pond (not for swimming). Parts of the park look like it could have been used as a set in a '60s Star Trek episode.

As for the ship, you should book Indulgence. The pool grill is as good as people say. Get room service breakfast while in Bermuda.

I didn't care for Tobacco Bay too much either. I didn't find it dirty, just very, very small and very crowded with other folks from the cruise ships and there was loud music from the beach bar. The water was lovely and calm and perfect for snorkeling though, so my kids had fun. It does not compare to the South Shore beaches. If you are planning a trip to St. Georges it is worth checking out but not a special trip just for the beach.

Waited to book Coco Reef and there's nothing left for next Tues or Wed. Can you go to Elbow Beach by yourself? Is part of it a public beach?

Yes, Elbow Beach is a public beach (not to be confused with the resort of the same name which is right next to it). I understand they have facilities there and rent chairs and umbrellas. It is supposed to be lovely. The #7 bus stops there. It is not far from Horseshoe Bay.

Some of us don't do the beach thing;)......I went last year and

chose other options. I took the Ferry the first day to St George....then

took the bus to Crystal Caves. After the Caves I had lunch at The

Swizzle Inn....YUMMY:D...then took another bus to Hamilton and from

there took the ferry back to the ship.

The next day I took the ferry into Hamilton, walked around there, went

into a Museum downtown and then had lunch at the Hog Penney...YUMMY:D

The last day I stayed around the Navy Yard and had lunch at the

Frog and Onion...another yummy:D

I would say you need to try a Rum Swizzle....it is a delicious Bermuda

drink:)

Some of us don't do the beach thing;)......I went last year and

chose other options. I took the Ferry the first day to St George....then

took the bus to Crystal Caves. After the Caves I had lunch at The

Swizzle Inn....YUMMY:D...then took another bus to Hamilton and from

there took the ferry back to the ship.

The next day I took the ferry into Hamilton, walked around there, went

into a Museum downtown and then had lunch at the Hog Penney...YUMMY:D

The last day I stayed around the Navy Yard and had lunch at the

Frog and Onion...another yummy:D

I would say you need to try a Rum Swizzle....it is a delicious Bermuda

drink:)

I'm thinking about going to crystal caves...how was it?

Oh love the buses and the bus drivers in Bermuda! Especially to Hamilton and Horseshoe Bay. We also loved the ferry and met lovely people on the way and also on the way back another couple from England. We enjoyed this trip so much we decided to go back again next year! So buy the 3 day pass and enjoy St Georges too! Great photo opt there and good places to eat lunch near the water.

Happy Sailing!

I'm thinking about going to crystal caves...how was it?

It was interesting and I am glad I went:)..the only real issue (in my

opinion)......it is very easy going down into them and the tourguide

was very good but walking back up? I think she said they nicknamed

it "cardiac hill" or something like that:rolleyes:.....when I got back to the top

(outside) I had to take a breather......:eek:. The walk is sort of at angle....

But I am glad I decided to go on the tour.:)