Must try foods?

kew852000

One of my favourite memories of Eurodam, was the beautiful goblet of fresh berries that would be waiting for me at dinner every night. And if our waiter happened to see is in the MDR for breakfast or lunch, he'd bring over fresh berries then too!. I will definitely ask for this!

Looking forward to trying the beef cheeks. I've only heard of it on top chef, and well, since I'm on a top chef sailing ... this will be a must try! Is it an appy or a main?

Carrot cake and cookies at Cafe Bacio on deck 5. The fat free sugar free sorbets in passionfruit and mango and other tropical flavors. OMG. The everyday chocolate cake in Blu. Panna cotta in Tuscan Grill. The goat cheese tart in Murano. Short ribs in Blu. Anything lamb. The thin breadsticks. The crunchy wasabi peas at different bars and Silk Harvest. Pina colada at pool bar and ironically at Martini Bar (I think they get it at Ensemble Lounge bar).

Grilled salmon at Aqua Spa Cafe - to top a bowl of mixed greens you do-it-yourself at the Oceanview buffet while waiting for them to cook the salmon.

Hamburgers at the Mast Grill. Guacamole Mast Grill. Filet in Tuscan Grill.

Forget the desserts at the buffet. Go to Cafe Bacio or just eat some fruit. There's nothing great at the buffet sweets-wise --- they *look* tasty but they aren't good enough to warrant the calories. I just get an apple from my stateroom or from somewhere.

If you like strawberries and raspberries, be sure to ask your stateroom attendant to bring you some or your waiter. Not the muddled berries - the fresh ones. You'll have a whole bowl of them waiting for you if you want. (be sure to tip for that extra service). Pair that with some vanilla yogurt and some low fat granola (available in the tall glass canisters at the buffet). It's what I eat for breakfast if I'm not having room service delivery.

Remember though, you're in Alaska and it's not about the food. Get out on deck and bring your good binoculars and enjoy every drop of that beautiful space!

In MDR, if they have Chef Hung's tuna tartare on the Top Chef menu night, it was excellent (appetizer). The creme brulee dessert was also fantastic-I think I had it 2 or 3 times throughout the week.

Agree that the pastries (free) at Cafe al Bacio were way better than anything at the Oceanview buffet.

At the Oceanview, I loved the spicy roasted potatoes they had in the mornings. Also loved the pizza there. Fries at Mast Grill were great too.

In the previous cruises, my DH ordered Creme Brulee every single day that we dined in Main dining room. If there are other interesting choices, he ordered Creme Brulee plus another dessert.

For me, I'm a big fan of Escagot. I don't eat soup or salad, so I order Escagot plus another dish of starters before the main entree.

In Murano or Ocean Liners, my DH always goes for Five-Spice Crusted Cervena Venison Loin instead of Lobster.

Edited by XandraMic

• 2 weeks later...

The steak tartare was outstanding, my favorite appetizer of our trip last week on Solstice. Followed closely by a raw salmon/roe/avocado dish (can't remember the name off hand). The beef short ribs were the best I've ever had, and I have eaten them in many fine restaurants.

I actually thought the French onion soup and escargot were only average, though certainly enjoyable. The escargot was too chewy and bland for my taste, though the butter garlic was delish! Similarly, the cheese and bread on top of the French onion soup were scrumptious, but I thought the soup itself was somewhat lacking in onion flavor.

Overall, we were tremendously satisfied with the food in the main dining room. It was much better than I expected. And the waiters were exceptionally kind to our two young boys. We also ate in Murano, and while the food was exceptional, I felt somewhat nickeled and dimed. Did not expect to be charged for sparkling water, for example, as we were on the premium beverage package (I guess you pay for the big bottles). Next time I think we will stick to the main dining room, we enjoyed it so much.

The carvings for lunch, ask for rare if it's beef. Get the bread (roll) at the sandwich bar and the meat at the carvings area.

The ceaser (SP) salad was great!

The ethnic (or whatever they call it) has some real great stuff but try a little sample of each before diving in, LOL! Some of it was not that spicy and others was great! MDR was a disappointment for me except the first night. Anyone who can't find something they love didn't try very hard, LOL!

Edited by rmalbers

The chocolate fondue at TuscanGrill

Is the best dessert ever

Creme brûlée and apple pie in MDR are excellent

Short ribs delicious & add my vote for Caesar salad & onion soup also vichyssoise

Igloo frozen coffee drink or hot cappuchino at cafe so bacio wonderful with a little pastry

Pizza and ice cream at buffet are very good

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Watermelon and Feta Salad at Aqua Spa Cafe only the 1st or 2nd day, can't remember which. (All the salads are great!)

Desserts at Aqua Spa Cafe are wonderful and light!

Croissants, coffee, fruit, and bacon on my balcony via room service!

Banana and Nutella crepe in Bistro on 5. (Upcharge)

Hamburger at Mast Grill with mushrooms and grilled onions.

Hotdog at Mast Grill with sauerkraut and grilled onions (keep the TUMS handy)

Creme brulee in MDR.

Thank you I looooooooooooove ice cream. Not so keen on soft serve, one cruise the bride and I spent most of a day in port trying to find some.

There's usually 5 or 6 flavors daily in the buffet area and one is a specialty flavor (meaning rum raisin or several others changed daily), in addition to some regular flavors like butter pecan, strawberry etc) Best to check fairly early to see what they'll have, as there's tons of people who seek the ice cream out daily:D Can have a dish or cone with other items.

Oatmeal cookies in Al Bacio are my favorite & I think they must be a crowd pleaser, as they often are the first to empty. You can eat at the tables/chairs there or they'll give you a couple to take with you!

The beef cheeks (had it on the Summit and it was the best beef dish I've ever had). I don't order beef much because I do prefer it rare but many of the people at our table were making a big fuss out of "beef cheeks" and who would want to eat that. I remembered an episode of Hell's Kitchen where someone was excited to cook beef cheeks because they are an exceptional cut of meat. I couldn't agree more - they were extremely tender, cut them with a fork and very, very, very little fat.

And if your ship has it - chicken and waffles (on the summit it was served in a little bucket at the Mast grill). The chicken was a little spicy, very crispy and well cooked. The waffles were to die for.

I love beef cheeks aka cabeza! There is a lot of fat, that is why I like it! Well there is on tacos anyway. Perhaps on the ship they cut out the fat afterwards, but that is the main reason why I love it. The fat melts in your mouth.