Non-refundable flights and cruise insurance

JimAOk1945

I don't recall now which airline I saw that on. I've been doing a lot of research online and failed to save that link.

What we will probably do is fly coach to the East coast and from there take a non-stop Business Class flight into Barcelona a few days ahead of the cruise. Our cruise is a 12 day round trip Western Med from Barcelona. We also plan to fly Business Class on the return flight to the East coast and then coach on the remaining part of the trip home.

Do you have any experience flying in and out of Barcelona? If so, which airline did you use and did you have a good experience with the service of that airline?

Thanks!

Nope, sorry, I have pretty much no experience flying in/out of BCN, and no longhaul experience at all. However, it doesn't really matter where you're flying to, it matters the airline and aircraft type. For example, I haven't flown an AA 767-300 to Barcelona, but I have to Frankfurt, Rome, Paris and Dublin (and will be to Madrid next weekend). It would be the same product, and I can tell you that it's pretty mediocre in both Business and Economy!

Just another comment about "different business classes".

Quite a few airlines have managed to basically merge first/business into something that is called business first.

NOT really first and just a little more than business.

I was put on a United government flight out of Dubai to the US last year. Flew into IAD and then connected to NYC from there. My government contract provides for at least business class air on flights to/from the Middle East. Generally, I purchase my own tickets with miles or money and either upgrade to TRUE first on a purchased ticket or purchase through the Middle Eastern airlines (which are NOT approved government flights) and can only get reimbursed for business class at whatever price a government approved airline would charge. Works OK for me-lots of miles with AA for partner flights and lots of Middle Eastern airline miles. So I get some cash for my miles in addition to a plane ride.

BUT I was NOT impressed with the United business first configuration. Sure wasn't first as on a true, three/four class plane. And since I like window seats, crawling over a stranger to get in and out just was not to my liking.

Definitely missed the "clubiness" of TRUE first with single seats and only a couple in the middle where you have direct access to the aisle.

So really don't understand the business first designation. Seemed like regular business class to me with a few extras but nothing to write home about. If I wanted just business class, I could have probably saved a few dollars, turned in my expense report and gotten some cash back on my contract.

Am I wrong? This was the only flight I have ever taken that was designated businessfirst.

Here is United's explanation of the difference between Business and BusinessFirst:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/business/default.aspx

You don't get to chose between the two on a single flight. The two are destination specific; longer flights (generally) offer BusinessFirst.

Edited by grandma*knows*best

Goes back to CO. DL called their business product "Business Elite" and at about the same time, CO started to use the moniker "BusinessFirst". I cannot remember CO having a 3 class aircraft and, I think, they were trying to get across that their business product was their top of the line - aka first class for business travel accountants. When we had the merger, BusinessFirst carried over to the new UA.

I did UA BusinessFirst once when I went somewhere where OneWorld was just drastically more expensive. It was fine, but I didn't see anything better than normal J class, to be honest. This was EWR-HKG if I remember correctly, about four years ago.

It appears that you have extensive experience flying RT to the USA. Can you please elaborate on this comment?

It's simply a question of numbers. You are essentially restricting yourself to airlines with flights directly from a NA gateway to BCN. However, look at connecting in Europe instead, and all of a sudden you have a plethora of options.

You are essentially restricting yourself to airlines with flights directly from a NA gateway to BCN.

Yes, that's true. However, I'm looking at the total time it will take us to get to BCN from our home in the Midwest to BCN.

By flying non-stop from home to the East coast, then taking a connecting non-stop flight from the East coast to Barcelona, the overall total travel time will be reduced considerably.

I appreciate your advice.

Edited by JimAOk1945

Here is United's explanation of the difference between Business and BusinessFirst:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/business/default.aspx

You don't get to chose between the two on a single flight. The two are destination specific; longer flights (generally) offer BusinessFirst.

Thanks for the link.

Yes, that's true. However, I'm looking at the total time it will take us to get to BCN from our home in the Midwest to BCN.

By flying non-stop from home to the East coast, then taking a connecting non-stop flight from the East coast to Barcelona, the overall total travel time will be reduced considerably.

I appreciate your advice.

ORD-EWR-BCN: 13h15 total travelling time.

ORD-AMS-BCN: 13H10 total travelling time.

Random flights I checked on ITA Matrix. FYI, the stop at EWR is slightly shorter than the AMS one.

Not trying to be a nag, and everyone has their own priorities, I'm just saying not to assume, cast as wide a net as possible when researching possibilities.

Personally, when researching flights I'm not overly concerned with total travelling time - and there was a conversation in a thread here recently arguing that a longer TA flight was better if you wanted to get some sleep.

ORD-EWR-BCN: 13h15 total travelling time.

ORD-AMS-BCN: 13H10 total travelling time.

Random flights I checked on ITA Matrix. FYI, the stop at EWR is slightly shorter than the AMS one.

Not trying to be a nag, and everyone has their own priorities, I'm just saying not to assume, cast as wide a net as possible when researching possibilities.

Personally, when researching flights I'm not overly concerned with total travelling time - and there was a conversation in a thread here recently arguing that a longer TA flight was better if you wanted to get some sleep.

I should have been more specific. What I meant to say is "the overall total travel time from the East Coast to Barcelona will be reduced considerably if we don't have a connecting flight in Europe before flying into Barcelona.

In other words, what I'm hoping we can do is get a non-stop flight from home to somewhere on the East coast, then get a non-stop flight from the East coast to Barcelona.

Thanks for your insights. You have been very helpful and your concern is appreciated.

And of course, since the OP has NEVER bothered to tell us the actual city that he's leaving from, it becomes next to impossible to give specific advice or information. We know Barcelona. We know somewhere in the USA other than the "East Coast". Other than that.....????

FWIW, many cities inland from "the coast" have non-stop service to hubs in Europe. But I guess we'll never know if any might be appropriate here. Nor can we give informed advice on the concept of buying two tickets - one to "the coast" and then to BCN.

I can only surmise that the word is out about the "Cruise Air Stalkers".....:D

GIGO

And of course, since the OP has NEVER bothered to tell us the actual city that he's leaving from, it becomes next to impossible to give specific advice or information. We know Barcelona. We know somewhere in the USA other than the "East Coast". Other than that.....????

FWIW, many cities inland from "the coast" have non-stop service to hubs in Europe. But I guess we'll never know if any might be appropriate here. Nor can we give informed advice on the concept of buying two tickets - one to "the coast" and then to BCN.

I can only surmise that the word is out about the "Cruise Air Stalkers".....:D

GIGO

I didn't ask for advice for flights from my home city. My main concern is about flights from the East Coast to Barcelona. All of my questions have been answered. The truth in your comments is noted and appreciated. :rolleyes:

Edited by JimAOk1945

I'm looking at the total time it will take us to get to BCN from our home in the Midwest to BCN.

It's been pointed out that overall total travel time may NOT be reduced, and in fact might be less if you connect in Europe.

I should have been more specific. What I meant to say is "the overall total travel time from the East Coast to Barcelona will be reduced considerably if we don't have a connecting flight in Europe before flying into Barcelona.

In other words, what I'm hoping we can do is get a non-stop flight from home to somewhere on the East coast, then get a non-stop flight from the East coast to Barcelona.

I think we get what you're trying to do. What we don't get is why. It's already been pointed out that you can possibly do the trip with ONE connection, and that if the connection is in Europe it could be a shorter trip overall. Is there a reason you are hung up on the connection only being on the US east coast and not Europe? :confused:

Is there a reason you are hung up on the connection only being on the US east coast and not Europe? :confused:

There are no non-stop flights from my hometown to Europe. I know this because I've already checked. That's why I didn't ask for advice about connecting flights in Europe.

It makes sense to me to fly out of our hometown, get our flight somewhere on the East coast (that's my one connection) and then fly non-stop to Barcelona.

Your concern is appreciated.

Edited by JimAOk1945

HelloJimAOK... I'm certainly not an experienced flyer, however, after researching so many flight possibilities for our flights to Barcelona next Spring, including 10 different airports I checked out, and, from the help of FlyerTalker in particular, I feel we have the best flight scenario and price we could ask for, and, shortest flight time to Barcelona.

If I may share this with you, it might provide you with some help and a positive option, along with less stress.

Even though our flight from our hometown of Syracuse, NY to the East coast isn't as far as you have to travel to the East coast, I think what I mention below is very positive.

1...We are flying from Syracuse, NY to JFK on Delta on one of their small jets. Flight leaves Syr. at 4:45-PM and arrives at JFK

at 6:10-PM

2...We then fly non-stop from JFK at 7:45-PM to Barcelona on an Airbus 330-300 (3L3) arriving in Barcelona the following

morning at 9:40-AM Barcelona time.

3...On the way back, same Delta aircraft leaves Barcelona at 11:15-AM Barcelona time and arrives at JFK at 2:10-PM. Again,

this is a non-stop flight.

4...We do have to hang out at JFK until 9:30 that night to get back to Syracuse, but no big deal.

I only mention our flights because the Delta aircraft out of JFK was newer than out of Newark or LaGuardia, and, at least from Syracuse to Barcelona with the plane change at JFK, it was also cheaper than the other two airports.

The Delta flight number from JFK to Barcelona is 476 and on the way back, it's 477. Maybe from your home airport, JFK and a Delta might work for you.

I can tell you besides Delta, the only other non-stop to Barcelona is on American from JFK. Each airline I think only offers the one non-stop flight per day. And I think there might be another non-stop out of Philly, but most East coast airports except Miami in think do not offer non-stops to Barcelona.

I hope this information might help you a little.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I hope this information might help you a little.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for taking the time to post this information. It is very helpful and sounds like a good option.

Thanks again and happy cruising!

Edited by JimAOk1945

3...On the way back, same Delta aircraft leaves Barcelona at 11:15-AM Barcelona time and arrives at JFK at 2:10-PM. Again,

this is a non-stop flight.

4...We do have to hang out at JFK until 9:30 that night to get back to Syracuse, but no big deal.

Have you considered clearing US Immigration / Customs at JFK and driving a rental car to SYR instead of flying the last leg? Worst-case, you will be in SYR (or home) by 8-9pm (depending on the amount of traffic in the NYC area if it's a weeknight). Flying the last leg will get you there 2-3 hours later, and your body clock will think 4-5am.

Simply abandon the last flight leg, but don't inform the airline before or after the fact if you choose to do this.

A 7 hour layover is a big deal to me unless I get to visit relatives or friends in the layover city. I realize everyone's priorities are different.

Edited by kenish

There are no non-stop flights from my hometown to Europe.

Good enough. For future reference, it might have helped to be this specific originally... i.e. clarifying why it is that you are looking for an east coast connection. The more details, the better folks are able to help. :)

Hello Kenish...I thought about your suggestion, but I get very stressed out in big city area traffic. I really don't think I could handle it. We have a special day pass for one of the Delta lounges, so, I think we will just relax until flight time versus driving and going through so much traffic before it thins out 2-hours later on a The New York State Thruway.

Thanks very much for looking out for our best interest with the different option.

Dave

For future reference, it might have helped to be this specific originally... i.e. clarifying why it is that you are looking for an east coast connection. The more details, the better folks are able to help. :)

I thought I had been clear after posting my preferences in prior responses. :confused:

Note to self: In order to promote better understanding between self and readers/responders on the Cruise Critic boards, all questions must be comprehensive, with minute, explicit, specific, precise, exact, and meticulous details in all, every, each future postings here or elsewhere on Cruise Critic. :p

Edited by JimAOk1945

I thought I had been clear after posting my preferences in prior responses. :confused:

Note to self: In order to promote better understanding between self and readers/responders on the Cruise Critic boards, all questions must be comprehensive, with minute, explicit, specific, precise, exact, and meticulous details in all, every, each future postings here or elsewhere on Cruise Critic. :p

No need to get an attitude. Unless I missed something, I did not recall that you ever stated specifically that it was physically impossible to fly from your home airport to Europe. You just kept saying you didn't want to do that. In turn, people kept pointing out how a European connection wasn't necessarily a bad thing, and you kept going back to "yes, but that's not what I want to do without specifying why." All I'm saying is a little more detail would have kept you from getting answers that did not help you.

It appears that you have extensive experience flying RT to the USA. Can you please elaborate on this comment?
At present, it looks like the only airlines flying non-stop from BCN to the US are:-

AA: JFK, MIA

DL: JFK, seasonal ATL

UA: EWR

US: PHL, seasonal CLT

There's a common theme to these airlines.

However, if you were prepared to hub at another European airport, you'd have access to the products of a wider range of airlines.

You're refusing to say where you're starting from, so it makes it impossible for any of us to give you advice about whether an alternative itinerary from the one you're currently thinking of might make as much - or even more - sense.

But the one thing that can safely be said is that if you fly BCN-US gateway-home, you are likely to have a frustrating experience at the US gateway because of the immigration/customs clearance process there, for which you have to allow plenty of time (which is likely to be wasted time in any event).