Transfer to ship - arrange your own or with ship/TA?

coolerchick

Hi there,

We are doing our own thing for a couple of days before our cruise and plan to take the train to Basel, spend half a day there and then board the ship.

I've been quoted 60.00pp for a transfer from Basel airport to the ship but wondering if any of you arranged your own or transfer yourself or should I fork out the 120 (which also means we would have to take the train to the airport - which I think is silly but just wondered how easy to find the ship if going on your own.)

Thanks.

I absolutely would get myself to the boat (and we will, though we board in Nuremberg; we fly in the day before). Getting from central Basel to the airport and back is a ridiculous waste of time (just look at the map!)

(since we haven't been on our RC yet, I have no idea how easy it will be to find the boat. But I'm fairly confident we'll work it out -and I don't speak German :p)

I absolutely would get myself to the boat (and we will, though we board in Nuremberg; we fly in the day before). Getting from central Basel to the airport and back is a ridiculous waste of time (just look at the map!)

(since we haven't been on our RC yet, I have no idea how easy it will be to find the boat. But I'm fairly confident we'll work it out -and I don't speak German :p)

We were in Nuremberg a few days before our cruise in Dec and took a taxi from the hotel to the boat. Took about 20 min and was around 20€ for 4 of us. The taxi driver knew exactly where to take us.

We went from our hotel in Basel to the ship and the cab driver asked which cruise line and based on that, knew where to take us to board the ship. You do not need their transfers, you can do it yourself.

coolerchick -- if you are at all self-confident about booking your own arrangements, then I would do so. I would only recommend booking transfers through the cruise line if you are first-time cruisers and very nervous about your ability to arrange things yourself, or don't have the time to do so. Having the cruise line do it is basically paying extra money to have somebody else do the work & worry for you. If you have money to burn and don't want to deal with it -- book through the cruise line. If you want to save a few bucks and have the time & self-confidence to make your own arrangements -- go for it.

coolerchick ~ I presume your ship is leaving from Basel. If its Viking then you can check out the docking location - page 29 of the detailed itinerary book that can be found by going to their website then "my trip" then "about my cruise" then "itinerary and travel information". That's the on-line version of the book you'll get from them with your pre-cruise documents. (If you're not traveling with Viking, I presume your ship will also be leaving from the same area but double check with your cruise line.)

We sailed from Basel last December and did a pre-visit there on our own for 3 days. We stayed very near the train station and took a cab from our hotel to our ship. I think it was about 30euro for 3 of us. But note- when we got into the cab driver asked where the ship was. Luckily I had the book and showed him and he said "no problem". It only took about 15 minutes but when we got there and he drove to the pier it was the wrong ship. He made one call to the office and was told the Viking ship was in the same area but just slightly downstream. So don't leave the cab until you're sure its the correct ship!!!

The Basel train station is very, very nice - more like an airport terminal! shops, cafes, grocery store, wine store, bakeries, a great local chocolate shop, etc. I'm not sure if they have lockers for luggage but you might be able to find out from their web site or on the ports section of CC. And the tram system in Basel is great - not sure of the cost since hotels give free daily passes to their guests.

Any questions - just ask away and I'll try and help!!

In your pre-cruise documents, there will be a phone number for the boat. My suggestion is to call the boat and ask for the docking location before you hire a cab.

If you can locate a tourist information office in Basel, they could make the phone call for you - and then assist with transportation.

Fran

Not sure what line you're on. We were on Avalon. Cruise docs told us the meeting place (a hotel - in Budapest) and then they bussed us the short distance to the ship when it was time to board. They took care of luggage when we checked in at the hotel so we had plenty of time to wander around before boarding time. We just needed to take a taxi from our hotel (we were there for two nights prior to cruise) to the meeting place hotel.

From what I'm reading, Basel is apparently different from Budapest. In Budapest, ships could be docked anywhere so it's not a "given" where Viking or Avalon or A-Rosa or whoever will be docked any given day. In fact, interestingly enough, our embarkation ramp was a Viking ramp!!

We DID use Avalon's airport transfer at disembarkation time since we had to leave the day of disembarkation (in Amsterdam) and had a relatively early flight. Can only speak for Avalon but it was worth it.

Edited by rudeman

coolerchick ~ I presume your ship is leaving from Basel.

Yes. On AMA though.

We sailed from Basel last December and did a pre-visit there on our own for 3 days. We stayed very near the train station and took a cab from our hotel to our ship. I think it was about 30euro for 3 of us. But note- when we got into the cab driver asked where the ship was. Luckily I had the book and showed him and he said "no problem". It only took about 15 minutes but when we got there and he drove to the pier it was the wrong ship. He made one call to the office and was told the Viking ship was in the same area but just slightly downstream. So don't leave the cab until you're sure its the correct ship!!!

The Basel train station is very, very nice - more like an airport terminal! shops, cafes, grocery store, wine store, bakeries, a great local chocolate shop, etc. I'm not sure if they have lockers for luggage but you might be able to find out from their web site or on the ports section of CC. And the tram system in Basel is great - not sure of the cost since hotels give free daily passes to their guests.

Any questions - just ask away and I'll try and help!!

Thanks so much! We are staying in Lucerne for 2 days. Then 3rd day my plan is to leave early cruise day and tour Basel until we go to ship.

I'll check the train station for luggage storage. Plan B I suppose, we can take a taxi (and YES, I was thinking the exact same thing about taxi leaving us at the right ship! Have I mentioned that when I travel it's full of Murphy's Law's? Always entertaining!), leave our luggage and then tram back to the main city.

So exciting - 3 weeks to go - OMG!!!!

Edited by coolerchick

My feelings about transfers. We pay so much for the cruise why frustrate oneself getting to the boat! We are tired enough when we arrive!:)

But if you're not going directly from the airport, you probably aren't going to be as tired. Different scenarios under discussion from the OP.

And getting from Lucerne to the Basel train station and back to the Basel (or even Zurich?) airport for "cruiseline transfers" is way too much effort and money.

Everyone is going to have preferences, but honestly in this case - anything requiring getting to an airport is going to be way more hassle and frustration than anything else. My opinion.

Everyone is going to have preferences, but honestly in this case - anything requiring getting to an airport is going to be way more hassle and frustration than anything else. My opinion.

I agree! And I have never had any issues with private transfers. The only time we used cruise line transfers was with Avalon in Prague and we waited 45 minutes until others arrived before we could leave. We had traveled for over 20 hours and were not in the mood to sit and wait so never did that again.

If you are looking for something nicer than a taxi but still cheaper than the cruise transfers, take a look at Patrick's Limousine Service. We used Patrick 3 different times on our recent trip, all very prompt. For 6 of us to go from the boat to the Basel train station was 50 CHF. I found him from a past thread on these boards and service was excellent!

...leave our luggage and then tram back to the main city.

Just a heads up - in Basel, the river boats usually dock at Drielandereck which is about 1km from the closest tram stop. Easily walkable, but in case you're expecting it to be very close, didn't want you to be surprised.

Our experience differs somewhat - we have found that most airports in Europe have excellent access by public transportation, and its almost always the cheapest and most convenient option for us. The stations are usually within the actual airport terminal and are almost always easy to find. The trains/buses that service the airport typically have more than adequate room for luggage storage.

In stark contrast, the airport that annoys me the most with its LACK of convenient access is JFK! They should take a lesson from the rest of the world... Almost invariably, when we arrive at a US airport and we aren't renting a car, we have to break down and take a cab. Never in Europe. The difference is night and day.

On our last two trips (Munich, then London) we "winged it" and bought tickets from a ticket kiosk upon arrival at the airport, choosing our route on the fly based on whatever train was leaving next.

But I agree with you that everyone's preference will be different, and that lugging your suitcases onto a bus or train after flying overnight from the US isn't for everyone. For those who don't want the hassle of doing this on their own, the cruiseline offers an alternative. Just because we do this, I don't expect everyone else to do it.

Plus, those who overspend on transfers from the cruise line help the companies' profit margins, which helps keep cruise prices low! :p So, definitely do what you're comfortable with.

Our experience differs somewhat - we have found that most airports in Europe have excellent access by public transportation, and its almost always the cheapest and most convenient option for us. The stations are usually within the actual airport terminal and are almost always easy to find. The trains/buses that service the airport typically have more than adequate room for luggage storage.

I totally agree with this statement.

But perhaps what you're missing in THIS case is the OP will be coming by TRAIN into Basel after spending a couple days touring in Europe, and THEN will be embarking on the river cruise. So the "airport" arrival after flights (from the US or wherever) will have been in another city and a few days in the past. I have *assumed* (and we all know how dangerous that is:p) that the AMA transfers that OP has priced out would involve being picked up from the airport and being transported to the boat. Since the OP isn't going to be anywhere near the airport, getting from town to the airport to come back into town doesn't make sense. IN THIS CASE, for this OP:D

Hoyaheel - I see what you mean. It would be silly to do that.

We used the cruise line transfer from the airport in Basel - but that's because we returned a rental car to the airport, then walked a few steps to the terminal and met them. Would not have schlepped out from the train station all the way to the airport.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

I totally agree with this statement.

But perhaps what you're missing in THIS case is the OP will be coming by TRAIN into Basel after spending a couple days touring in Europe, and THEN will be embarking on the river cruise. So the "airport" arrival after flights (from the US or wherever) will have been in another city and a few days in the past. I have *assumed* (and we all know how dangerous that is:p) that the AMA transfers that OP has priced out would involve being picked up from the airport and being transported to the boat. Since the OP isn't going to be anywhere near the airport, getting from town to the airport to come back into town doesn't make sense. IN THIS CASE, for this OP:D

Correct. We are arriving in Basel by train and would have to go to Basel airport to be transferred to the boat. Doesn't make sense for us - especially with all the replies of other people who have made their own way there.

IF we were flying into Basel then we would absolutely pay for the transfers.

Edited by coolerchick

Just a heads up - in Basel, the river boats usually dock at Drielandereck which is about 1km from the closest tram stop. Easily walkable, but in case you're expecting it to be very close, didn't want you to be surprised.

It is also not a pleasant relaxing walk. It's primarily an industrial port with truck traffic to dodge and a lot of railroad tracks to contend with. We were fortunate to have a shuttle making regular runs between ship and the Kleinhunigen tram stop. The ship also provided a day transit pass, as I believe every hotel in Basel does.

We took an Avalon river cruise in late April from Basel. Avalon could not tell us where their ship was going to be docked in Basel. We decided to use the Avalon shuttle from the Movenpick Hotel next to the Zurich airport. I think the shuttle bus driver that Avalon used got lost in Basel. We crossed the Rhine River three times before we were dropped off at our ship.

Basel looks like a very interesting city and I wish we could have spent some time there. While the Movenpick at the Zurich airport is nice, it is an airport hotel. I wish we could have spent some time in Basel.

If you are confident that your cruise line will tell you where the boat will be docked in Basel, I would use a cab. Avalon really made it difficult to get to the boat without using their transfer.