Flying ugh

Moondawgie

I did fly a DC-3 between St. Thomas and San Juan back in 1991 on Air BVI. Interesting flight. I had a window seat - the window had, I kid you not, some paper towels stuffed around it in places where the gasket was gone!!!!!

It was an interesting set of flights, all around, thanks to Eastern Airlines ceasing operations and we had to do a lot of last-minute flight plans. We were able to snag seats on "mainline" most of the way, but we had that funky DC-3 on the way back and a Grumman Turbo Mallard on the way over!!!!

There's still daily scheduled DC3 service in Canada, between YHY-YZF

I'd give my eye teeth or left-hand ** (not suitable for this forum :D ) to fly either. I have been on a Ford Trimotor...the captain and FO pointed out the plane was older than their combined ages!

I've been on one too and I think the same thing happened! Was at EAA Oshkosh back in 1998

I've been on one too and I think the same thing happened! Was at EAA Oshkosh back in 1998

Mine was at a local airshow in San Diego; the plane was owned by Scenic Airlines, who were based in Vegas and did a lot of "flightseeing" and Grand Canyon tours.

I go to Oshkosh every year! Basler Turbo Conversions, on Wittman Field there, does DC-3 conversions. Great planes.

I hate the overnight flights too. I don't drink on planes in the (admittedly unlikely) event something bad happens and I have to think and move quickly to get out safely. Tylenol PM gives me a hangover so I don't take that.

I bring a good book or books, and my iPod, and if those aren't enough to entertain me, I watch the video selections. If possible I get a nap in before leaving for the airport, but I just figure I'm not going to get much if any sleep on the plane.

Once I get where I'm going I try to stay up until at least 9 p.m. local time. If I can do that, I end up getting up at a reasonable hour the next day and am ready to go with no residual effects.

Have been fortunate enough to have had TWO cruises that stopped at Narssarssuaq (UAK) and got to see the Air Greenland 757, along with a number of their helicopters and a Dash-8. Interesting little museum at the airport with historical artifacts from WWII. But no DC-3s.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you have any suggestions on how to get through long flights.

I have a 19 hr ap to ap (Rome) in October. 12 of those hours are Chicago to Rome.

What do you do to make your flight less awful? It is an overnight flight, coach, but you know about sleeping on those planes!:eek:

Any encouraging advice?

Do you think Tylenol PM is safe to take? I know you are not all medical people.

Here's what I do:

This is too late if you are already booked, but we break our long hauls into two flights. We've done this twice going to Sydney: we stop over in Honolulu for an overnight (or more). It's actually cheaper, because US domestics are cheaper to HI, and Australian or Asian airlines are sometimes cheaper than US going to Australia. Going to Europe I want a flight with a stopover to stretch my legs before the long haul.

Anyway, I take my ipad and an external battery I got on Amazon for about $15. They are both charged fully when I get on. Before I leave I download movie rentals from Amazon that reside on my ipad. I get to pick what I watch, not take potluck with the airline.

I always fly with my Bose noise-cancelling headphones. I've been flying with them for 10 - 15 years. An absolute MUST HAVE on long flights.

I have a really, really good book on my ipad that I cannot wait to start reading. Lee Child, Connelly, or whatever is your favorite. I will download the kindle version from the library if I can get it just before I leave, because it's good for 2 - 3 weeks.

Once I'm fed, watched my videos, read as much as the book I want, that would be the time to take a sleep aid of choice. I ALWAYS take a sleep mask with me on every flight I take. Combined with the headphones and soothing music from my ipad, I can at the least nap a lot. Personally, I don't take sleep meds on flights because I end up groggy from not fully going to sleep.

Edited by pcur

Here's what I do:

This is too late if you are already booked, but we break our long hauls into two flights. We've done this twice going to Sydney: we stop over in Honolulu for an overnight (or more). It's actually cheaper, because US domestics are cheaper to HI, and Australian or Asian airlines are sometimes cheaper than US going to Australia. Going to Europe I want a flight with a stopover to stretch my legs before the long haul.

Anyway, I take my ipad and an external battery I got on Amazon for about $15. They are both charged fully when I get on. Before I leave I download movie rentals from Amazon that reside on my ipad. I get to pick what I watch, not take potluck with the airline.

I always fly with my Bose noise-cancelling headphones. I've been flying with them for 10 - 15 years. An absolute MUST HAVE on long flights.

I have a really, really good book on my ipad that I cannot wait to start reading. Lee Child, Connelly, or whatever is your favorite. I will download the kindle version from the library if I can get it just before I leave, because it's good for 2 - 3 weeks.

Once I'm fed, watched my videos, read as much as the book I want, that would be the time to take a sleep aid of choice. I ALWAYS take a sleep mask with me on every flight I take. Combined with the headphones and soothing music from my ipad, I can at the least nap a lot. Personally, I don't take sleep meds on flights because I end up groggy from not fully going to sleep.

Regarding stopovers, in the past few months, we booked a trip with a day and a half stopover in CDG (staying at hotel in airport) on a trip from JAX, Fla to Singapore. We are flying Air France and the price was about $100 pp more without the stopover.