Roll or fold Q

Sat1

I bundle wrap, a little differently than SLCfirsttimer suggests.

Find out how on http://www.onebag.com I have also tried the other method of placing clothes into the luggage and then the ziplock and folding, but got many more wrinkles doing it that way. I had read about bundle wrapping before a cruise to Norwegian Fjords in 2007, and have been packing that way ever since. Before that, I folded, and we've been traveling, and I've packed many times throughout the years. The last cruise, I bundled most things, and then placed my dresses which don't wrinkle at all on top of the bundle.

I used to roll, but now I do this. Amazing how little space a bundle takes up. Best method I've used for trips wear you are unpacking and staying in one place for a while like a cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I saw a youtube video recently which I sadly cannot seem to locate now wherein the hostess picked out several items of clothing and tested different packing methods. I recall there being a men's golf shirt, a pair of nice woman's slacks, and some type of dressy shirt. She partly selected the pieces because of owning three of the same item, just different colors.

She then packed one of each item in one of three ways. Folding with tissue paper in the folds, classic rolling technique, and regular folding were the three ways chosen. They were packed into a suitcase overnight with the same amount of other clothing meaning same available space. The cases were juggled around, and finally left stacked each under another case weighted the same overnight.

The next day she filmed herself removing and hanging the items. The results? The rolled golf shirt fared the worst of the golf shirts, but the plain folded was a close second. The folded dressy shirt was the worst of all the items. The tissue paper in the folds folded items were the clear winners in all categories.

NONE of that worked for me, perhaps because I wear only natural fibers that wrinkle easily.

The ONLY thing that has worked well for me in the last decade is packing dramatically less so that there is less compression of my clothing. I make clothes and shoes do double duty and yes, I do laundry on vacation as I won't send anything to a ship laundry or dry cleaner.

Also, I pack as late as possible before I leave home. Packing a few days ahead left more wrinkles than late packing my carry-on-only bag.

Edited by Bookish Angel

I'm a folder not a roller...Just a few tips for packing generally....Be kind to your back by standing upright and using an ironing board to fold garments rather than bending over to fold on bed or floor.......I place bubble wrap on bottom and top of luggage contents to prevent slippage. The suitcase should be as full as possible ( no trouble there !) again to prevent slippage. Wrinkles occur when contents get moved around. I interleave all my items with tissue paper and place my gowns and dresses in dry cleaner bags.Takes a little time but I always arrive "wrinkle-free"...Unpacking is fun, you can find yourself enveloped in clouds of tissue :) , can't say I'm this fussy when packing to come home !! Oh and if you pack dresses, gowns, shirts etc still on hangers this helps save time unpacking.I always carry some of my own really slender hangers and remove the bulky ones from the closet...More closet space.... I also collect freebe hotel and ship showercaps to individually wrap my shoes ....Job done.....

Has any one ever used these to pack?

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-specter-folder-m/d/1142

I have not used the Specter but have used Eagle Creek folders for near 10 years now. I love them as well as cubes and tubes.

The Specter is lighter then the regular folders but I don't have any problems with carrying enough clothing in the ones I have.

I do have a Specter cube but I like the old ones better. I like the heavier material in cubes. I feel the old one gives more structure to your bag.

Shak

I tried the large ziplock bag method on our most recent cruise. I bought the huge ziplock bags & put my folded clothes in them. I squished out all the air (put an empty suitcase on top of the bag with just the ziplock part exposed).

This method was said to work great but I really wasn't impressed when I went to unpack on the ship. Some of my items were slightly wrinkled & some were very wrinkled. Guess it also depends on the material. The big plus to this method was space. It was amazing how much I got into a medium suitcase with all the flat ziplock bags!:eek: I was able to leave our large suitcases at home.

Anyway, I had better results with rolling so will continue to use that combined with the squished ziplock bags (for those items that didn't wrinkle so much).

I use the large zip lock bags, and I roll, for casual tops and bottoms. I get wrinkles whether I fold or roll, but misting them with a little water works wonders. The plus of using the space/zip lock bags is that they are so much easier to organize your suitcase, especially if you have a hotel stay coming to the ship. I lift out the zip lock bags in one piece, get to toiletries/shoes/etc. underneath, and no need to refold or repack -- the bags go right back in. If I am in a hurry when unpacking onboard (heading to dinner), I can lift out the plastic bags, put them on a shelf or in a drawer, and be unpacked in minutes.

I also put our evening clothes on hangers, for ease in packing and unpacking.

Learning to pack is still a work in progress for me, I enjoy reading all the different methods people use. :)

I recently learned how to do the "army roll" method and am taking a 35 liter backpack on my next trip. Hoping everything fits, but considering I was able to fit about 50 shirts in my suitcase using the new method I feel confident it can be done.

The 50/50 cotton/poly blends wrinkles the least and smells the best in my experience. Rayon blends are really lightweight for packing, but beware if you sweat in the heat.

I have not used the Specter but have used Eagle Creek folders for near 10 years now. I love them as well as cubes and tubes.

The Specter is lighter then the regular folders but I don't have any problems with carrying enough clothing in the ones I have.

I do have a Specter cube but I like the old ones better. I like the heavier material in cubes. I feel the old one gives more structure to your bag.

Shak

I did not know that there are different weights of the fabric that the folders are made of. I have not brought one yet but I am thinking of it.

I'm a folder not a roller...Just a few tips for packing generally....Be kind to your back by standing upright and using an ironing board to fold garments rather than bending over to fold on bed or floor.......I place bubble wrap on bottom and top of luggage contents to prevent slippage. The suitcase should be as full as possible ( no trouble there !) again to prevent slippage. Wrinkles occur when contents get moved around. I interleave all my items with tissue paper and place my gowns and dresses in dry cleaner bags.Takes a little time but I always arrive "wrinkle-free"...Unpacking is fun, you can find yourself enveloped in clouds of tissue :) , can't say I'm this fussy when packing to come home !! Oh and if you pack dresses, gowns, shirts etc still on hangers this helps save time unpacking.I always carry some of my own really slender hangers and remove the bulky ones from the closet...More closet space.... I also collect freebe hotel and ship showercaps to individually wrap my shoes ....Job done.....

I wash, dry and save vegetable bags to hold our shoes. I also put small items into those bags and stuff them into shoes - DH's take up a lot of space and I can fit quite a few things inside them.

In 40+ years of travel I haven't yet perfected my packing method. I've tried space bags, cubes, rolling, folding and am trying bundling on our next adventure. I'll let you all know when I get it right.:)

Hi, Karen!:D

I did not know that there are different weights of the fabric that the folders are made of. I have not brought one yet but I am thinking of it.

The Specter line is very light weight. To some that is important feature but I am happy with what I have. I would suggest you start out small and build on your success.

Sierra Trading Post has 15, 18, and 20 inch regular Eagle Creek folders if you want to buy some at a discount. Subscribe to their web site and you will receive additional discounts via email. I use both 15 and 18 inch folders.

Shak

I wash, dry and save vegetable bags to hold our shoes. I also put small items into those bags and stuff them into shoes - DH's take up a lot of space and I can fit quite a few things inside them.

In 40+ years of travel I haven't yet perfected my packing method. I've tried space bags, cubes, rolling, folding and am trying bundling on our next adventure. I'll let you all know when I get it right.:)

Hi, Karen!:D

Thank you, Jean, I have found an entire new section of CC that I was unaware of. I wasn't spending enough time on this website. :rolleyes: :D

DH is a master packer, his stuff never wrinkles, he folds; pants on bottom, shirts on top, tux in middle with shoes & toiletries & unders along the sides (inside plastic newspaper bags or shower caps). Packing list on top of everything (yes, he's really that organized). Now, if I can just convince him to pack mine (but then he'd know how many pairs of shoes I bring)!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Specter line is very light weight. To some that is important feature but I am happy with what I have. I would suggest you start out small and build on your success.

Sierra Trading Post has 15, 18, and 20 inch regular Eagle Creek folders if you want to buy some at a discount. Subscribe to their web site and you will receive additional discounts via email. I use both 15 and 18 inch folders.

Shak

Thanks. A discount would help. Will check it out.

I have folded my golf shirts, but have read that rolling them is better, says no wrinkles. Let's see how many roll or fold. ;)

It's the way my military family has done it for years. It's the right way. It's the only way :P Besides, when I first board, I make sure everything which needs to be ironed is done by laundry services. Or you could do what my grandma did on our first cruise and bring your own travel iron. Illegal? No, but definitely prohibited. Don't worry, I won't say anything :)