Baltimore Port Wishful Thinking

Sandie

Hi everyone,

Now that Carnival has announced that when the Carnival Pride returns to Baltimore in late March she will be offering longer length cruises (10 and 14 nt options), I wonder if RCI will take the hint that longer length cruises from Baltimore would be most welcomed? We enjoyed the 12 night cruises that used to be available when Enchantment sailed out of Baltimore. Grandeur has shortened (10 night) versions of those Caribbean sailings, but it was so nice to have two more days in the sunshine. It would be wonderful to have both Enchantment and Grandeur sailing out of Baltimore.

All of the reports from the local Port Authority personnel indicate that the number of passengers sailing out of Baltimore continues to increase, so it appears that there would be many interested in longer length winter cruises. Perhaps RCI will be reading my wishful thinking.

Sandie

It is wishful thinking about having the Enchantment back. I think Enchantment will stay right where she is in Florida doing the 3&4 night sailings. It is not as wishful to think Grandeur could do longer sailings. That is much more likely than getting Enchantment back or a second ship in Baltimore.

I think it's funny you say that, because I've been wishing we could get some of the shorter cruises, 4-5 nights, up here like they have down in Miami. The 5-nighters in NJ are pricey in comparison to the longer cruises and only available in the summer. With kids, swinging the vacation time on the longer cruises isn't always so easy, but long weekends can be done.

Hi everyone,

Grandeur has shortened (10 night) versions of those Caribbean sailings, but it was so nice to have two more days in the sunshine. It would be wonderful to have both Enchantment and Grandeur sailing out of Baltimore.

All of the reports from the local Port Authority personnel indicate that the number of passengers sailing out of Baltimore continues to increase, so it appears that there would be many interested in longer length winter cruises. Perhaps RCI will be reading my wishful thinking.

Sandie

"Perhaps RCI will be reading my wishful thinking." Mine as well.

We have sailed from Baltimore six times since 2001, either on Celebrity or Royal, during both the Fall and Winter seasons.

We'd love a few 12 -14 day Caribbean Winter cruises and would gladly chip in for an extra barrel or two of oil to sweeten the deal for the cruise line. We have an upcoming 10 night cruise on the Grandeur for early 2015 and an additional few hundred dollars for 2 or 4 more nights would be sweet. Maybe not an entire 3 month season of 14 nighters but one or two with slightly different itineraries would be great for those of us who would be happy to sign on..

bosco

If Baltimore would simply move closer to the Caribbean, so that fuel costs would be reduced, I'm sure it would happen in a heartbeat.

This is actually a good argument in favor of longer cruises - the cost of fuel to travel to the Caribbean every 12-14 days rather than twice in that time period.

If I could choose, I would want something that I am fairly sure will never happen.

I wish, I wish, I wish... for a new smaller ship.

They won't be building a higher new bridge, so larger ships will not make it. And as ships age and are sold or taken out of service, fewer ships will be able to use B'More.

I also love the smaller ships, partly because my cruise experiences are not dependent on zip lines, wave runners and climbing walls. I live in an area with easy access to live entertainment. I would rather see a great show at the Kennedy Center or on Broadway than on a ship. The appeal of the megaships is not what drives me to book again. I wish they would build new Grandeur and Pride-sized ships!!!

If I could choose, I would want something that I am fairly sure will never happen.

I wish, I wish, I wish... for a new smaller ship.

They won't be building a higher new bridge, so larger ships will not make it. And as ships age and are sold or taken out of service, fewer ships will be able to use B'More.

I also love the smaller ships, partly because my cruise experiences are not dependent on zip lines, wave runners and climbing walls. I live in an area with easy access to live entertainment. I would rather see a great show at the Kennedy Center or on Broadway than on a ship. The appeal of the megaships is not what drives me to book again. I wish they would build new Grandeur and Pride-sized ships!!!

I so totally agree with your comments. Hoping RCL is listening

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

At some point in our past - we heard a Captain's talk, where he addressed the "useful" life of a ship; and how long they can sail in American waters. DH thinks that number was 20, and I remember 25. Either way, the ships that can fit under the bridge get closer to those magic numbers, and all the new builds are NOT going to fit. So what then?

It is wishful thinking about having the Enchantment back. I think Enchantment will stay right where she is in Florida doing the 3&4 night sailings. It is not as wishful to think Grandeur could do longer sailings. That is much more likely than getting Enchantment back or a second ship in Baltimore.

I agree with you. They will not put 2 ships in Baltimore and Enchantment is not going to be returning. If a change is made at all I see them putting a Radiance class ship in Baltimore and sending Grandeur elsewhere.

I wonder if larger ships will push cruise lines back to Norfolk? I'm pretty sure they can't outgrow it since carriers sail out of Norfolk all the time. I know the main reason Norfolk was mostly abandoned was price but maybe there's enough drive with megaships to bring it back?

The thread IS titled wishful thinking...

I wonder if larger ships will push cruise lines back to Norfolk? I'm pretty sure they can't outgrow it since carriers sail out of Norfolk all the time. I know the main reason Norfolk was mostly abandoned was price but maybe there's enough drive with megaships to bring it back?

Living in VA Beach we would love to have larger ships depart year round from Norfolk..........I just don't understand why that terminal is so underused........crazy........but "wishful" thinking that the Norfolk terminal will one day be utilized to her fullest:)

At some point in our past - we heard a Captain's talk, where he addressed the "useful" life of a ship; and how long they can sail in American waters. DH thinks that number was 20, and I remember 25. Either way, the ships that can fit under the bridge get closer to those magic numbers, and all the new builds are NOT going to fit. So what then?

Just out of curiosity - how many ships can Bayonne accommodate after the new terminal and parking garage is opened? Could RCI be investing in this terminal in anticipation of outgrowing Baltimore, and putting two ships in NJ? Maybe only one in winter, but two for spring, summer, and fall?

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Pricing was a factor for Norfolk as was a lack of vision by the City of Norfolk in promoting the cruise industry in the area.