Help please

Which itinerary do you think is better? I'm asking because I have the Princess cruise on hold and the hold runs out in 22 hours. The balconies all sold out and then one came back and the price immediately went up for a substandard position. There are only two cabins left in the category I want and there is $3000 off at the moment. (third passenger $999) The cruise agent has said they can't hold it any longer and the sale ends very soon. Supply and demand has this cruise almost full. The same cruise in July is out of our price range.

My issues are:

1. I would like to see Venice which the Princess cruise does not do. Is there a reasonably cheap way to get back to Venice from Barcelona or Paris? We will also be looking to stay in Paris, London and Barcelona regardless of which itinerary we choose so we will have to be budget conscious. If we did the Hal cruise we could also consider a few extra days in Rome and Florence.

2. The Emerald Princess one is 4 nights longer and $800 cheaper but the Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam is in a larger stateroom. (both inside cabins but I think its so port intensive that we won't be in our room much other than to sleep).

3. We are Platinum on Princess and know the kids clubs are good. We don't have any experience with Holland America. Are excursion prices cheaper on Hal, kids clubs ok ect? (we are travelling with our then 9 year old daughter).

4. The Princess cruise leaves in May so it should be quieter and cooler weather but we will return to our winter, yuck. But the Holland America leaves in mid July so we will skip our winter, nice, but prices will probably be higher across the board when we are doing independent travel in France and England not to mention airfares. Plus I think trekking up to the Acropolis could be crowded and hot??

5. Please help we live in Australia and we have never been to Europe and this is a bucket list trip for me. I haven't been to any of these places so not sure if one itinerary outshines the other? We won't be able to go back for a second run unless my lotto ticket wins (I should start buying lotto tickets :))

Emerald Princess 28 night:

Barcelona, Spain Saturday, May 9 depart 7:00 PM

Marseille (Provence), France Sunday, May 10 7:00 AM 5:00 PM

Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy Monday, May 11 7:00 AM 7:00 PM

Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy Tuesday, May 12 7:00 AM 7:00 PM

At Sea Wednesday, May 13

Kotor, Montenegro Thursday, May 14 7:00 AM 6:00 PM

At Sea Friday, May 15

Athens (Piraeus), Greece Saturday, May 16 4:00 AM 8:00 PM

Santorini, Greece Sunday, May 17 7:00 AM 6:00 PM

Crete (Heraklion), Greece Monday, May 18 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Rhodes, Greece Tuesday, May 19 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Kusadasi, Turkey (for Ephesus) Wednesday, May 20 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

At Sea Thursday, May 21

Istanbul, Turkey Friday, May 22 8:00 AM Overnight Stay

Istanbul, Turkey Saturday, May 23 11:00 PM

At Sea Sunday, May 24

Mykonos, Greece Monday, May 25 7:00 AM 10:00 PM

At Sea Tuesday, May 26

Valletta, Malta Wednesday, May 27 7:00 AM 5:00 PM

Messina, Italy Thursday, May 28 7:00 AM 5:00 PM

Salerno, Italy Friday, May 29 7:00 AM 5:00 PM

Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy Saturday, May 30 5:00 AM 6:00 PM

Sicily (Palermo), Italy Sunday, May 31 10:00 AM 6:00 PM

Tunis (La Goulette), Tunisia Monday, June 1 7:00 AM 6:00 PM

At Sea Tuesday, June 2

Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy Wednesday, June 3 7:00 AM 7:00 PM

Genoa, Italy (for Milan) Thursday, June 4 7:00 AM 6:00 PM

Toulon (for Provence), France Friday, June 5 7:00 AM 4:00 PM

Barcelona, Spain Saturday, June 6 5:00 AM

or Nieuw Amsterdam 24-DAY MAGIC OF THE MEDITERRANEAN:

Day Date Port Arrive Depart

0 15 Jul 2015 Venice, Italy 04:00 PM

1 16 Jul 2015 At Sea

2 17 Jul 2015 Katakolon, Greece 08:00 AM 03:00 PM

3 18 Jul 2015 Piraeus (Athens), Greece 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

4 19 Jul 2015 Cruising The Dardanelles CO

4 19 Jul 2015 Istanbul, Turkey overnight 04:00 PM

5 20 Jul 2015 Istanbul, Turkey 05:00 PM

6 21 Jul 2015 Lesbos, Greece TR 11:00 AM 06:00 PM

7 22 Jul 2015 Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey 07:00 AM 07:00 PM

8 23 Jul 2015 Thira (Santorini), Greece TR 07:00 AM 04:00 PM

9 24 Jul 2015 Argostoli, Greece TR Noon 06:00 PM

10 25 Jul 2015 At Sea

11 26 Jul 2015 Venice, Italy overnight 01:00 PM

12 27 Jul 2015 Venice, Italy 09:00 PM

13 28 Jul 2015 At Sea

14 29 Jul 2015 Dubrovnik, Croatia 08:00 AM 11:59 PM

15 30 Jul 2015 Kotor, Montenegro 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

16 31 Jul 2015 Kerkira, Corfu, Greece 11:00 AM 08:00 PM

17 01 Aug 2015 At Sea

18 02 Aug 2015 Naples, Italy 08:00 AM 06:00 PM

19 03 Aug 2015 Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy 07:00 AM 08:00 PM

20 04 Aug 2015 Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy 08:00 AM 08:00 PM

21 05 Aug 2015 Monte Carlo, Monaco 08:00 AM 11:00 PM

22 06 Aug 2015 Marseille (Provence), France 09:00 AM 06:00 PM

23 07 Aug 2015 Barcelona, Spain ON Noon

24 08 Aug 2015 Barcelona, Spain 06:00 AM

Both cruises sound really good, it is a hard decision for you. We have been on both lines and feel that the HAL is a bit more staid, older set. We had a great time as we were travelling with friends. It is pretty much peak season with them. We did a lot of your stops on the Ruby Princess in October, so it would probably be similar temperature. It was really enjoyable not to have to fight the crowds. We thoroughly enjoyed the ship. As platinum, I would be inclined to stick with Princess and perhaps look at cheap flights or train to get yourselves to Venice. In saying that, it was pretty spectacular sailing out of the grand canal. We did all private tours and saved heaps, some organised through our role call. Good luck in your decision, have fun which ever you choose.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Trains around Europe are really good, see http://seat61.com/Europe-train-travel.htm#.VAgSgfmSyiU.

There may even be an overnight sleeper between Barcelona and Venice. There certainly was one from Paris to Venice in 2008. They are run by Trenitalia, the Italian train company, and are very comfortable.

I'd be more tempted by the May trip. July will be very hot and crowded all though Europe.

I will be on the Athens to Rome section of that Princess cruise, so have thought about some issues related to this cruise and other cruises in that area at that time. We have also booked a 7 day cruise on Allure of the Seas -a Rome/Barcelona/Rome loop, which happens every week.

Like you, we were disappointed that Venice was not on the itinerary -have spent 9 days in Venice and still not had enough!

My thoughts? The Holland America cruise in July will be way too hot for comfort! I have not cruised with Holland America but I have gathered the impression that it is an older demographic.

I have done quite a lot of train travel in Italy and the Italian trains are brilliant and cheap. I haven't had to actually deal with trains anywhere to the east of Italy, but as far as I know, train from Paris should be easy enough. Do a Google search on "seat 61" and you should be richly rewarded. The trains between Milan and Venice run about every hour and can travel somewhere between 200 and 300 kilometres per hour, depending which grade of "Freccia" train you get.

So... I vote for the Princess cruise.

Ooh, Willow, so hard to choose. Both itineraries look good but I think I am inclined to agree with MicCanberra. From what I have heard HAL tends to be an older demographic so not sure what the kid's club facilities will be like in comparison to Princess. And you have status on Princess.

Besides you may get an upgrade!

The HAL one has a lot of Greek Islands in the first half, whereas the Princess one does seem more varied - and the option of visiting some more culturally different places (Tunis for example).

A poster here did a 7 day Eastern Med just last July and said it was very hot. She wrote a great trip report over on the Australian Frequent Flyer website if you are interested to read it - many of the same ports in the east as you are thinking about:

here

It is easy to get around Europe so you can fly into Venice quite cheaply (I would book the tickets online before you go). Trains are fantastic - fast and frequent.

If all else fails, toss a coin and don't look back:)

We were in the Mediterranean in early July this year and it was HOT!

Admittedly we were coming from winter so not acclimatised at all, but we found it hot enough to significantly impact on our enjoyment of port stops at places like Ephesus (Izmir), Dubrovnik, Olympia (Katakolon) and Istanbul. In fact, we cut things short in Istanbul because we just wanted to get back into the air-conditioning of the ship after six hours of trekking round in the full sun.

We still had an amazing time and we cruised when we did because we had no choice - it was that or nothing.

Thank you for your help. We have booked the Emerald Princess cruise in May. :)

I am super excited.

Any tips on when to buy flights or what to do in these ports?

Thanks Aussieflyer for the link :).

I think it is the best of the two great cruises. Enjoy making all the plans to get to the places you want to, there are so many options and a bit of travel variance (Trains, Cruises, Ferries, Flights, etc) will make it more complete. Most of all enjoy the fantastic cruise.:D

Look at Accor hotels for accommodation as a lot of them children are free if in same room. We have booked Paris, Switzerland & genoa though them. We are staying at apartments in Venice star splendid San Marco. Make sure you book your trains early, usually you can only do it 3 mths in advance unless international when I think it's 6 mths.

Agree that the July timeframe would be too hot for my liking.

Added to that is that it's also peak tourist time (though May-June is only a little better) so you have the longest queues. And aside from that it's not a good time to visit Venice as the heat makes things more humid... and whiffy.

Look at Accor hotels for accommodation as a lot of them children are free if in same room. We have booked Paris, Switzerland & genoa though them. We are staying at apartments in Venice star splendid San Marco. Make sure you book your trains early, usually you can only do it 3 mths in advance unless international when I think it's 6 mths.

Great advice, the trains do need to be booked early as they do get booked out and choices become limited.:D

I have no time to check itinerary at the moment but others have suggested you go princess and weather wise I would agree. I am very much a budget person, Europe on a shoestring, Hubby and I did 7 weeks in Europe last year for just over $12000 all up. it included many flights, trains, 12 night European cruise flights from aust insurance, spending $$$. so you can tell I am a scrooge!!!! check out vueling, we have flown with them from Barcelona to paris, and malta to Barcelona, Barcelona to rome. don't know if they fly to venice but worth a look. sorry I am racing out the door or I would have a hunt for you.

vueiling is the budget airline of spain. Had no complaints at all.

Make sure you book your trains early, usually you can only do it 3 mths in advance unless international when I think it's 6 mths.

I'm fairly certain most of the routes in Europe can only be booked three months in advance. I usually have a diary entry to check each train journey as the three month date comes up. Sometime, if there is a long time between train trips (ie train / cruise / train), you may need to make the bookings on different days. I recommend travelling first class as there is more space for luggage above and between the seats. Don't put luggage on the racks at the end of carriages on Italian train routes unless you lock them to the rack so they can't be moved.

I'm fairly certain most of the routes in Europe can only be booked three months in advance.

Quite right - although it's not a rolling x days in advance like flights, but just that they open bookings each quarter or so. Also, all the lines are different but because you're travelling internationally, it can be quite a hassle that you can only book one leg but not the connection.

I recommend travelling first class as there is more space for luggage above and between the seats. Don't put luggage on the racks at the end of carriages on Italian train routes unless you lock them to the rack so they can't be moved.

First/second class is one of those debated things. You don't get much more for what you pay so some always prefer second, but some prefer that it's not so crowded in first so go that way.

Edited by The_Big_M

Quite right - although it's not a rolling x days in advance like flights, but just that they open bookings each quarter or so. Also, all the lines are different but because you're travelling internationally, it can be quite a hassle that you can only book one leg but not the connection.

First/second class is one of those debated things. You don't get much more for what you pay so some always prefer second, but some prefer that it's not so crowded in first so go that way.

I thought the new bookings came up weekly. I'm fairly certain it's more often than every quarter.

We've found first class is better mainly when you have a reasonable amount of luggagee. There is usually more storage spaces in first. Some of the newer and faster trains have face-to-face seating pairs and where two seats are back-to-back there is a useful space between the seats which fits a medium-sized wheelie suitcase. Also there are good racks above the seats. With second class you have more people competing for limited luggage space.

If booking through trenitalia they release the cheapest tickets 4 months prior to the date of travel. If you put in a date outside that it will tell you not available. I actually had to book train tickets rome to venice whilst on a cruise last year. You need to play around with the website a bit, try experimenting for other dates that are within the 4 month period now, we managed to get 4 tickets economy for 160 euro total. The cheapest get snapped up within minutes of being released. You virtually need to be at the computer when midnight in Italy. We also bought 9 euro each way tickets to Florence for the day, decided at that price it was easier than moving hotels and carrying luggage. Got the fast train early in the morning and back about 10pm.

Be careful of the general Europe train travel website they charge a fortune.

Thanks all for the great advice. :) Looks like I'll have my hands happily full planning this one, so much to learn and organise.

From your helpful advice so far we are thinking we will fly into Rome 1st May then train to Venice 5th May. Fly to Barcelona to catch the ship which departs 9th May. Do you think we should fly from Venice to Barcelona on the day the ship departs (it leaves at 7pm) or the day before to be safe? I want to have enough time to explore Venice. :) Not sure if we shouldn't just fly into Venice for the week. :confused:

After the cruise we will spend three nights in Barcelona then train up to London for four nights. Then Paris for five nights before returning home. (it's cheaper for us to fly out of Paris because of the multi city flights, otherwise we would have done Paris first).

Do our plans sound viable? Not sure how many days to allocate to different places.

Is $1750 good for return flights for an adult flying into Rome from Perth and out of Paris back to Perth?

Hubby and I did 7 weeks in Europe last year for just over $12000 all up. it included many flights, trains, 12 night European cruise flights from aust insurance, spending $$$.

Wow that is just amazing!

I will be on the Athens to Rome section of that Princess cruise, so have thought about some issues related to this cruise and other cruises in that area at that time. We have also booked a 7 day cruise on Allure of the Seas -a Rome/Barcelona/Rome loop, which happens every week.

How many nights is the leg you are on? Is that the Istanbul sector? I am really looking forward to the overnight there. I would love to try Allure of the seas as well.

AussieFlyer what's a Blog? LOL is that something technical. :eek:

Edited by silverwillow

The Athens to Rome sector of the cruise is 14 nights and includes 2 days in Istanbul.

I could easily spend a week in Venice, but you will have to think about your child. Quite a bit of the appeal of Venice is museums and art galleries, which children will have less tolerance for.

I would only spend the final night before the flight home in a different city if there were viable back up plans to your main transport to the airport your flight takes off from. We have done our last night before the flight our of Milan at Stresa on Lake Maggiore, but we knew that if there was a train strike, we could spend 90 euros on a taxi down to Malpensa.

Good advice from Blue Elephant.

Also, because you said this is the first, and may be your only time in Europe, I'd definitely say stick with the Rome element. There's a lot more to see in Rome than Venice, although you could certainly spend a week in Venice if you want to.

One thing I thought of is that given you're multi-citying with flights, compare the option of flying to Venice first, then train on to Rome. Rome is closer to Barcelona (so may be cheaper flying that leg and will be quicker) and may have more options so better connection times and less stress in the trip, with a similar price to Venice for the international leg.

Regarding price, that sounds reasonable. Which airline is that with? However, if you wait til next month, there will likely be a few more specials coming out so you may find a better option. Also, Emirates and QF give you 30 kg each, whereas many other airlines will only be 23. For the time away, it may be useful to have the extra allowance - although at least you don't have to worry too much about Winter clothes (just Britain may be coolish)!

Your timing sounds fairly good - it's not heaps of time, but should still be relaxed enough.

Edited by The_Big_M

Thanks Big M and Blue Elephant. The flights are with Qatar. We would normally fly Singapore Airlines but the flights short in duration and at times that suit travelling with a child. We had never considered this airline before but they actually rate quite well and you get 30kgs luggage.

Good thinking on doing the Venice then Rome then Barcelona combo, I will look into this.