Rebel with FTTF

stnic_ca

Delta used to upgrade me to first class on every flight because of my status (this was before frequent flyer clubs even existed). I guess I should have been upset that they also let folks buy first class tickets. How dare them cheapen my earned perk. :rolleyes:

^5!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Thanks.:o:) It's true - she was directing her comment right at me. The only technicality was that she was speaking of me in the third person instead of the second.;)

If you want to respond, that is your choice. I'm big (six foot well over 200 pounds) and I don't go looking for trouble, but have not backed down from people who think they are the public police. Many times I have simply ignored the comment and found that works better than getting into an argument with an idiot. The reason is, when you argue with an idiot, most people will have a hard time figuring out which is which.

I was on the San Francisco BART one time. Some guy started walking down the train picking an argument with everyone. All the others responded and he found a way to find fault with what they said. When he got to me I ignored him. He found fault with that to (he called me a bigot because I would not talk to him). Nonetheless, eventually he gave up and moved on to the next victim. I was no worse off either physically or emotionally after that one sided exchange than I was before he picked on me. That is more than I can say when I have responded.

Remember, freedom of speech implies the freedom not to speak (even though on a foreign flagged cruise ship in the middle of the ocean the Constitution means nothing).

I'm with you! I have terrible back and leg issues and live in chronic pain 24/7. I don't ask for special favors, but I DO purchase FTTF for $50 so that I don't have to spend as much time standing in lines and can take my bags right to my stateroom since I can't lug them all over the place.

It sounds like I could have written your response word for word. Some people don't understand the NEED for FTTF. Thank God it is available and I have it for my next cruise.

If you want to respond, that is your choice. I'm big (six foot well over 200 pounds) and I don't go looking for trouble, but have not backed down from people who think they are the public police. Many times I have simply ignored the comment and found that works better than getting into an argument with an idiot. The reason is, when you argue with an idiot, most people will have a hard time figuring out which is which.

I was on the San Francisco BART one time. Some guy started walking down the train picking an argument with everyone. All the others responded and he found a way to find fault with what they said. When he got to me I ignored him. He found fault with that to (he called me a bigot because I would not talk to him). Nonetheless, eventually he gave up and moved on to the next victim. I was no worse off either physically or emotionally after that one sided exchange than I was before he picked on me. That is more than I can say when I have responded.

Remember, freedom of speech implies the freedom not to speak (even though on a foreign flagged cruise ship in the middle of the ocean the Constitution means nothing).

I'm a 5'5", 135 lb. woman. Not big.:o Nevertheless, I tried to stick up for myself to this hateful woman while also trying to be helpful to her. I have never forgotten that I have the freedom not to speak - so no lesson needed, thanks. I just sometimes make the wrong choice, as I already owned up to when I related my story.;)

I'm a 5'5", 135 lb. woman. Not big.:o Nevertheless, I tried to stick up for myself to this hateful woman while also trying to be helpful to her. I have never forgotten that I have the freedom not to speak - so no lesson needed, thanks. I just sometimes make the wrong choice, as I already owned up to when I related my story.;)

I have absolutely no issue with confrontation...that being said my sister is very similar to you, in that she HATES confrontation and unless you REALLY push her into a corner, she will avoid it at all costs.

I'll tell you the three options I'd give her for the next time that occurs:

1) Ignore the snarky shrews...get your GS business taken care of (in a much quicker fashion than them.. :) ) and as you walk away, while they're still standing there being the 'lovely, polite ladies' they are, smile...wave...and walk away. If they attempt to talk to you, don't turn your head, don't give them any reason to think that their nasty demeanor is going to stay on your mind. People like that have nothing better to do than to make other people as miserable as they are.

2) Take your meaner, more vocal big sister with you next time you go to the GS line to ward off any bitter shrews that may try to rain on your parade. :p

3) The only way to avoid ANY chance at confrontation is to pretend you didn't hear a thing and ignore them completely. Even with option 1...if they're persistent in being nasty, they'll try to drag it out if you give them any sign you give a crap.

Try to remember that people that act like that are basically bullying you. By them making the comments that loudly to make sure you can hear them, they're banking on you either letting them get away with it, or attempting to 'fight back' -- and since there's more than 1 of them, they think they'll win either way. Similar to how people have more backbone online, people in groups seem to feel untouchable as well. Just be glad you're not associated with them, and only have to deal with them for that short wait in your FTTF GS line. ;)

I have absolutely no issue with confrontation...that being said my sister is very similar to you, in that she HATES confrontation and unless you REALLY push her into a corner, she will avoid it at all costs.

I'll tell you the three options I'd give her for the next time that occurs:

1) Ignore the snarky shrews...get your GS business taken care of (in a much quicker fashion than them.. :) ) and as you walk away, while they're still standing there being the 'lovely, polite ladies' they are, smile...wave...and walk away. If they attempt to talk to you, don't turn your head, don't give them any reason to think that their nasty demeanor is going to stay on your mind. People like that have nothing better to do than to make other people as miserable as they are.

2) Take your meaner, more vocal big sister with you next time you go to the GS line to ward off any bitter shrews that may try to rain on your parade. :p

3) The only way to avoid ANY chance at confrontation is to pretend you didn't hear a thing and ignore them completely. Even with option 1...if they're persistent in being nasty, they'll try to drag it out if you give them any sign you give a crap.

Try to remember that people that act like that are basically bullying you. By them making the comments that loudly to make sure you can hear them, they're banking on you either letting them get away with it, or attempting to 'fight back' -- and since there's more than 1 of them, they think they'll win either way. Similar to how people have more backbone online, people in groups seem to feel untouchable as well. Just be glad you're not associated with them, and only have to deal with them for that short wait in your FTTF GS line. ;)

How did you know I have one of those!?:eek: That describes her very accurately!:p

I have to say, all three of your options have a lot of merit.:D

How did you know I have one of those!?:eek: That describes her very accurately!:p

I have to say, all three of your options have a lot of merit.:D

Haha, your sister and I got all the confrontational "skills" if you will, and you and my sister got left with the "quiet and sweet" demeanors.

It's life's way of balancing the scales :p

I can't wait until someone tells me off.

My wife and I have been platinum for a while and FTTF would have been an automatic if it were offered prior.

With that said, I couldn't help but chuckle at your response. I feel the same way, and up until last week no one has said anything. Then we cruised again on the Glory...

It was after dinner, day 6 and the line at Guest Services stretched to the theater. There was one person in the FTTF/Diamond/Platinum window and I walked up behind her. One fellow cruiser didn't like that at all, she came over and shared a lengthy speech about waiting, others were here first, I needed to wait and a few more not worthy of Cruise Critic.

I asked her if she was done and pointed to the sign, showed her my card and thanked her for reminding me we've been able to have a great vacation together and not meet up until that point. My wife walked away laughing to the point of tears...

The perks of Carnivals program are few, and while I don't plan to abuse them, I do plan to use them.

Edited by BallFour4

My wife and I have been platinum for a while and FTTF would have been an automatic if it were offered prior.

With that said, I couldn't help but chuckle at your response. I feel the same way, and up until last week no one has said anything. Then we cruised again on the Glory...

It was after dinner, day 6 and the line at Guest Services stretched to the theater. There was one person in the FTTF/Diamond/Platinum window and I walked up behind her. One fellow cruiser didn't like that at all, she came over and shared a lengthy speech about waiting, others were here first, I needed to wait and a few more not worthy of Cruise Critic.

I asked her if she was done and pointed to the sign, showed her my card and thanked her for reminding me we've been able to have a great vacation together and not meet up until that point. My wife walked away laughing to the point of tears...

The perks of Carnivals program are few, and while I don't plan to abuse them, I do plan to use them.

I wish I could have seen that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha, your sister and I got all the confrontational "skills" if you will, and you and my sister got left with the "quiet and sweet" demeanors.

It's life's way of balancing the scales :p

Aw, now that just proves you a bit wrong there - 'cause that was sweet of you to say.;):D

I flew on American Airlines from LAX to FLL and from FLL to LAX. My luggage flew on American Airlines from LAX to FLL to and from FLL to New York and eventually to LAX. Upon my arrival at LAX I need to make a missing luggage claim.

There were two lines and I got in the shortest line. I received a small lecture about others waiting longer than I. I pointed out that I was not in the same line that they were and that was that. Then one employee went on break. When the other employee asked if anyone had a first class ticket I responded that I did. The remaining employee told the others that she had to take me first. I could feel the virtual knives in my back.

It is an uncomfortable feeling when you are given special treatment in front of others. Some companies realize this and offer the special services behind closed doors. When it is done out in public, the best way to handle it is to simply ignore any verbal statements. If challenged, then make it clear that you have every right to do what you are doing. In my experience the company representative will back you up and that is enough to get the other person to back down.

The bottom line is, if you earned or bought special treatment, then take advantage of it, but don't act like you are special or better than someone else. If it is earned through a loyalty program, than the other person can wait until they too have earned the company's loyalty. If it is something you paid extra for, than the other person has the same option to pay extra or accept that they will not be treated as well.

I've flow first class and it is not worth the extra cost - usually (basically all I am really after is the extra legroom). So I am going to take advantage of the special treatment that is offered. That said, there is an old saying, the richer you are, the more free stuff you get. Is it fair? No, but that is the way it is. Most people have earned the money they have. Some have just gotten lucky. Either way, good for them, and if you are one of them, then good for you (just don't act like it and you will be fine).

We used FTTF on our cruise in Feb, I like it because we typically get to the port early especially if in our home town. I am not the pushy obnixous type but if i paid for it going to use it. The only time I saw attitude was the same exact thing, line wrapped around, and we just walked right to the counter, no one on that side. Being a pretty big guy no one said anything just death stares. The kicker is we were cashing out bingo winnings, so that really did make it all the funnier because as the cs lady is counting it out the one's giving looks only glared harder, and yes I said to the cs that we won bingo.

Edited by ks13

I love it. Like you, I don't plan to flaunt it but I just know SOMEBODY is gonna have SOMETHING to say. So I'm prepared. Your reaction was perfect. Not disrespectful at all. :D

"2) Take your meaner, more vocal big sister with you next time you go to the GS line to ward off any bitter shrews that may try to rain on your parade. "

I AM that meaner more vocal sister. My sisters hate when an incident occurs because they know I can't keep my big trap shut. I can cut someone down before they know it. I once put a curse on an unrelenting telephone solicitor. He never called again. You have to be quick on your feet and be confident. What that woman did to Shakybeef was bullying in my book. I will NOT put up with that from anyone.

Oh and let someone try and say something to me starting today on the Glory. I am a very nice and considerate person until you make me mad. Then the Italian in me gets unleashed.

I have no problem speaking my mind on here or in person to anyone. I tell it like it is, no sugar coating. I don't have the time nor the patience to worry about hurting someone's feelings if they are a jerk. Some people love me for my bluntness, some people hate me for it. And I'm OK with that.

Oh and let someone try and say something to me starting today on the Glory. I am a very nice and considerate person until you make me mad. Then the Italian in me gets unleashed.

I have no problem speaking my mind on here or in person to anyone. I tell it like it is, no sugar coating. I don't have the time nor the patience to worry about hurting someone's feelings if they are a jerk. Some people love me for my bluntness, some people hate me for it. And I'm OK with that.

Seems like we're cut from the same cloth.:D

So how does this FTTF work at embarkation say at San Juan. Is there a separate set of ropes for FTTF or is there an employee at the entrance to assist you in cutting all the lines?