Rebel with FTTF

stnic_ca

Yawn. I mean cruising is PURELY for fun. If it's semantics you want. Please continue. "But wake me when you done. I guess you'll be the only one having fun." -Vanity 6

Loosen up!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

We've been on a few cruises with career-related conferences on board - I always thought that was an odd choice for a convention/conference venue - the people always looked so sad, being stuck in the aft lounge or other areas nearly all day.

Are those who are using low cost transatlantic cruises as a means of transportation to visit their seasonal homes in Europe/USA cruising "purely for fun?" Many of them are doing so to avoid paying for an international flight.

Are those who choose to retire and live onboard a cruise ship because it is cheaper than living in a nursing home doing so because it is "purely for fun?"

Yep. They have those luxuries. Cruising is a LUXURY.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm pretty much the opposite. I hate confrontations (I'm slightly more brave online than I am in person - but who among us isn't) and would most likely get embarrassed and tongue-tied or even gobsmacked depending on the level of obnoxiousness from the confronter.

I,too, have bought FTTF for my next cruise and I'm mildly dreading anyone being nasty to me about it. Even though I would be doing nothing wrong by using the VIP GS line, for instance, if someone started "calling me out" for it, the first thing that would happen is I'd blush from hairline to neckline. And it's doubtful if I'd do a good job of defending myself after that. And any unpleasant comments, etc. from fellow passengers would most definitely 'leave a bad taste in my mouth' for sometime afterwards.

I'm definitely not looking for a chance to be "in your face" with my FTTF perks. I just want to enjoy them and all the other aspects of my vacation without encountering any nastiness from anyone.

Just say "I paid extra for my place in line" and smile. So why didn't THEY pay for Faster to the Fun? :-)

Oh boy, did I step in it. And I fear by reporting my experience, I'm about to step in it all over again with some here. Looking at my above post, what I'm about to relate seems like a self-fulfilling prophecy. I should have known better. I should have just kept my big mouth shut. But y'all go ahead and be the judges, I can take it.:o Here's what happened on my Pride cruise last week:

On the last full Day At Sea, I made what was probably my 5th trip to GS that cruise.

An aside here: my visits to GS were never to complain - just to get things done and questions answered. For the record: this visit was to get a print-out of my S&S charges, increase DH's and my daily auto-tips by an extra $2 per person per day (that brought a surprised smile to the GS lady's face - I guess not many people do that and in fact, the lady beside me at the counter was removing hers with a lot of loud complaining), and to break a hundred dollar bill into smaller bills for additional tips for select crew members. I realize none of this is necessary to my story, but I hope it doesn't hurt to lay out some facts in my favour.:o

The regular line was about 5 people deep and there was only one man at the Plat/Dia/FTTF counter. He soon left and I moved up and waited patiently at the counter for the next available staff member to come help me.

While I was standing there, quietly minding my own business, a woman (I refuse to call either her or her companion a lady) in the regular line, about 5 feet away from me said quite loudly to her friend, "Why doesn't she have to stand in line with the rest of us?" Her tone was indignant, dripping with hatefulness, and the volume of her remark was obviously meant to carry it to my ears. When I glanced over, I noticed her glaring daggers at me.

So this is where I stepped in it. With my friendliest voice and (what I think was) a pleasant smile on my face, I said to her, "I paid extra to be able to use this line." I thought with this simple statement, I could defend myself and offer a little information (in case they were unaware of the FTTF program and would like to utilize it on their next cruise). Man, I was dumb. This was exactly what I had feared happening and I was about to go through everything I had predicted.:(

That's when she angrily snapped "And that's my business because?!?!" I said (still very mildly and with a smile like the wimpy dork I am), "I'm sorry, I thought I heard you say 'Why doesn't she have to stand in line with the rest of us?'." By this time, of course, as predicted, I could feel I was blushing intensely. Her friend then pounced with "Well that's why you should mind your own damn business!" I said, "I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood." I turned back to face the counter and try to control my blushing, and hide my embarrassment and upset feelings. All the while, the two women kept making nasty mutterings and I could feel their glares on the side of my face.

Soon after, I quickly transacted my pleasant business with the GS lady and beat a quick retreat to Lido Deck where I was so happy to find some of my friends to vent my story to and have a much-needed drink with. By that time, I was tearing up a little.:o I just kept saying "I hate confrontation," and "I should have known better." I do and I should have.:(

When I related the story to DH (who had been napping in the cabin while it happened), he remarked that my mildness probably made me a bigger target for their attacks. They recognized that I was a wimp right away and knew they could take me down easily with their venom.

But I guess the women were right when it comes down to it: I should have minded my own business, even though they weren't minding theirs.:(

This won't keep me from buying FTTF again. And it won't stop me from using the feature of VIP GS line for which I paid. But hopefully, it will teach me to keep my stupid mouth shut, since I can't stand up to a verbal beat-down.

(as well as being a wimp, I'm obviously a smiley abuser - I had to delete a bunch from my quoted post to get the new ones in.)

So my wife purchased FTTF, and encouraged the rest of our party too as well. So then we started reading about all the backlash from other cruise passengers, who don't know about the program (or weren't as timely). As well as the Platinum and Diamond members. Is it wrong of me to look forward to passing up people and hobknobbing with the early embarkationERS? LOL. I mean it's only $50!

I can't wait until someone tells me off.

I am completely with you! Nobody likes to stand in line and if I can pay a little extra money to skip it, then im doing it. Its so worth it.

While I was standing there, quietly minding my own business, a woman (I refuse to call either her or her companion a lady) in the regular line, about 5 feet away from me said quite loudly to her friend, "Why doesn't she have to stand in line with the rest of us?" Her tone was indignant, dripping with hatefulness, and the volume of her remark was obviously meant to carry it to my ears. When I glanced over, I noticed her glaring daggers at me.

So this is where I stepped in it. With my friendliest voice and (what I think was) a pleasant smile on my face, I said to her, "I paid extra to be able to use this line." I thought with this simple statement, I could defend myself and offer a little information (in case they were unaware of the FTTF program and would like to utilize it on their next cruise). Man, I was dumb. This was exactly what I had feared happening and I was about to go through everything I had predicted.:(

This is my fear as well. Certainly will not keep me from using the services I purchased. Luckily DW is not the "back down" type.

Maybe the two laddies were part of the "tour group" that almost went trouncing through your room. Still does not justify their rudeness.

This is my fear as well. Certainly will not keep me from using the services I purchased. Luckily DW is not the "back down" type.

Maybe the two laddies were part of the "tour group" that almost went trouncing through your room. Still does not justify their rudeness.

LOL, I didn't think about that.:p If they were in the tour group, they were probably two of those muttering and complaining and shooting us daggers for having the nerve to check in to our own cabin.:rolleyes::p

Wow. That's quite a story. Sorry it happened to you. I had to learn that the best way to get people back sometimes is speak your peace and pay them DUST (ignore and move on). Once people find that they have unnerved you, and you spend your energy trying to defend yourself, they've won.

If it happens to me, I'm going to say what I have to say. Handle my transaction, and stare them up and down as I finish, and walk away. LOL.

Wow. That's quite a story. Sorry it happened to you. I had to learn that the best way to get people back sometimes is speak your peace and pay them DUST (ignore and move on). Once people find that they have unnerved you, and you spend your energy trying to defend yourself, they've won.

If it happens to me, I'm going to say what I have to say. Handle my transaction, and stare them up and down as I finish, and walk away. LOL.

Thanks. You are tougher than I. I held up just fine, and kept my mini breakdown for the "privacy" of the Lido deck.:rolleyes::o:p But I just couldn't keep it from bothering me. I already knew this about myself, but decided to (mildly) assert myself anyway. Big mistake. I'm just not the assertive type. I'm the wimp at the time that that cries in frustration afterwards. Big character flaw, I know. I'll try to remember next time to just pretend I don't hear them and go on smiling. Forget trying to defend and help - I'm just not cut out for it.:rolleyes:

I've had FTTF four or five times and I love it and well worth the money, especially checking in and skipping the lines. That is so nice! I won't need it anymore because my wife becomes Platinum on our cruise next week and I become Platinum on the cruise after that.

I have been on a couple cruises so far and even have a couple we travel with all the time who are Platinum members and I had NO IDEA this was a thing.. Well thanks to this thread and Forum I now have this purchased for my April Cruise leaving out of San Juan for my 30th birthday. Needless to say I now look like hero to my Wife lol.

I have been on a couple cruises so far and even have a couple we travel with all the time who are Platinum members and I had NO IDEA this was a thing.. Well thanks to this thread and Forum I now have this purchased for my April Cruise leaving out of San Juan for my 30th birthday. Needless to say I now look like hero to my Wife lol.

Yay!:) Isn't it nice to find out something new and useful? (well, maybe those women next to me at GS don't think so:rolleyes::p)

Enjoy your cruise and every bit of your FTTF features!:)

ETA: I just noticed you're a new member - Welcome to CC! :)

Edited by ShakyBeef

Oh boy, did I step in it. And I fear by reporting my experience, I'm about to step in it all over again with some here. Looking at my above post, what I'm about to relate seems like a self-fulfilling prophecy. I should have known better. I should have just kept my big mouth shut. But y'all go ahead and be the judges, I can take it.:o Here's what happened on my Pride cruise last week:

On the last full Day At Sea, I made what was probably my 5th trip to GS that cruise.

An aside here: my visits to GS were never to complain - just to get things done and questions answered. For the record: this visit was to get a print-out of my S&S charges, increase DH's and my daily auto-tips by an extra $2 per person per day (that brought a surprised smile to the GS lady's face - I guess not many people do that and in fact, the lady beside me at the counter was removing hers with a lot of loud complaining), and to break a hundred dollar bill into smaller bills for additional tips for select crew members. I realize none of this is necessary to my story, but I hope it doesn't hurt to lay out some facts in my favour.:o

The regular line was about 5 people deep and there was only one man at the Plat/Dia/FTTF counter. He soon left and I moved up and waited patiently at the counter for the next available staff member to come help me.

That's when she angrily snapped "And that's my business because?!?!" I said (still very mildly and with a smile like the wimpy dork I am), "I'm sorry, I thought I heard you say 'Why doesn't she have to stand in line with the rest of us?'." By this time, of course, as predicted, I could feel I was blushing intensely. Her friend then pounced with "Well that's why you should mind your own damn business!" I said, "I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood." I turned back to face the counter and try to control my blushing, and hide my embarrassment and upset feelings. All the while, the two women kept making nasty mutterings and I could feel their glares on the side of my face.

Soon after, I quickly transacted my pleasant business with the GS lady and beat a quick retreat to Lido Deck where I was so happy to find some of my friends to vent my story to and have a much-needed drink with. By that time, I was tearing up a little.:o I just kept saying "I hate confrontation," and "I should have known better." I do and I should have.:(

When I related the story to DH (who had been napping in the cabin while it happened), he remarked that my mildness probably made me a bigger target for their attacks. They recognized that I was a wimp right away and knew they could take me down easily with their venom.

But I guess the women were right when it comes down to it: I should have minded my own business, even though they weren't minding theirs.:(

This won't keep me from buying FTTF again. And it won't stop me from using the feature of VIP GS line for which I paid. But hopefully, it will teach me to keep my stupid mouth shut, since I can't stand up to a verbal beat-down.

(as well as being a wimp, I'm obviously a smiley abuser - I had to delete a bunch from my quoted post to get the new ones in.)

I have learned that sometimes it is better to ignore a statement than to respond to it, especially if that statement was not directed to you (it may have been about you, but the statement was directed to the woman's companion, not you).

Edited by Cuizer2

I have learned that sometimes it is better to ignore a statement than to respond to it, especially if that statement was not directed to you (it may have been about you, but the statement was directed to the woman's companion, not you).

Right, thanks, I got that. Except that it was obnoxiously, loudly said in my direction, about me, with every intention of my hearing it, with a hateful glare directed right at my face. But I get that she was not technically talking to me, thanks. And I've already said many times that I should have known better and kept my mouth shut.:o But thanks.

So my wife purchased FTTF, and encouraged the rest of our party too as well. So then we started reading about all the backlash from other cruise passengers, who don't know about the program (or weren't as timely). As well as the Platinum and Diamond members. Is it wrong of me to look forward to passing up people and hobknobbing with the early embarkationERS? LOL. I mean it's only $50!

I can't wait until someone tells me off.

With that attitude you probably will get "told off". What would you do..post something nasty on cruise critic?

Frankly I am one who sees FTTF as a complete waste of money. Yeah only $50 but it is still $50 (well, actually $100 since we bought a second cabin for our kids). We arrive to the port late so we breeze through security and check-in with hardly a wait. Our only excursion at a tender port met in the theatre and we strolled right to a waiting tender without delay. My wait at guest services was maybe 12 minutes tops...and I enjoyed a conversation with the person in line behind me. And on the last morning, we barely had time to finish breakfast in the MDR before they called our self-assist zone. Sometimes the best purchase is the one you don't make!

Ok so everyone here is for the positive side so I guess I will be the negative one .

My problem is not with people who purchase FTTF it's with Carnival for offering it . It is or should be a perk earned by loyal customers who repeat cruise with carnival. A benefit of repetition so to speak , however with that being said it's no different than being at Disney or other theme parks , waiting in line all day and along comes someone who pays extra to not wait and steps in line in front of you so to speak .

Perks have no meaning if bought or sold instead of earned through loyalty .

On the flip side , no one really know who paid into the program unless the person advertises it .and on our most recent cruise the baggage handlers at the port added FTTF stickers over our VIP luggage tags to get our bags to our room quicker .

Delta used to upgrade me to first class on every flight because of my status (this was before frequent flyer clubs even existed). I guess I should have been upset that they also let folks buy first class tickets. How dare them cheapen my earned perk. :rolleyes:

I've had FTTF four or five times and I love it and well worth the money, especially checking in and skipping the lines. That is so nice! I won't need it anymore because my wife becomes Platinum on our cruise next week and I become Platinum on the cruise after that.

As The Frog says, “Live Thirsty"

Right, thanks, I got that. Except that it was obnoxiously, loudly said in my direction, about me, with every intention of my hearing it, with a hateful glare directed right at my face. But I get that she was not technically talking to me, thanks. And I've already said many times that I should have known better and kept my mouth shut.:o But thanks.

Hahahaha....There you go! Next time use THAT energy. The sarcastic nip back. LOL. They were talking to you, they just didn't think you would be brave enough to respond.

You are not a whimp. You just need to remove your emotions and hurt feelings when going toe to toe with idiots. LOL.

Hahahaha....There you go! Next time use THAT energy. The sarcastic nip back. LOL. They were talking to you, they just didn't think you would be brave enough to respond.

You are not a whimp. You just need to remove your emotions and hurt feelings when going toe to toe with idiots. LOL.

Thanks.:o:) It's true - she was directing her comment right at me. The only technicality was that she was speaking of me in the third person instead of the second.;)

With that attitude you probably will get "told off". What would you do..post something nasty on cruise critic?

Frankly I am one who sees FTTF as a complete waste of money. Yeah only $50 but it is still $50 (well, actually $100 since we bought a second cabin for our kids). We arrive to the port late so we breeze through security and check-in with hardly a wait. Our only excursion at a tender port met in the theatre and we strolled right to a waiting tender without delay. My wait at guest services was maybe 12 minutes tops...and I enjoyed a conversation with the person in line behind me. And on the last morning, we barely had time to finish breakfast in the MDR before they called our self-assist zone. Sometimes the best purchase is the one you don't make!

HA! Let them try.

Well, last time I went, we were in line for about an hour, then waited 2 hours to board. GS was another 45. There were no tender ports. Also 2 hours to disembark.

For this upcoming cruise there are 2, and Grand Cayman is VERY POPULAR. We also have an early return flight out of FLL (from POM) So for me, it's worth it.

Not trying to sell anyone on the idea. Just being informative, as I was informed of its existence and the obvious benefits to avoid the things that annoyed me on my last cruise.