QotS - December 1st sailing

Awesome guys - thanks for the heads up!

does anyone here have a list of activities on the ship for the sailing? things are a little unclear and i cant find much

i know there will be dodgems

the wind tunnel thing

and basketball

but is there anywhere i can get a complete list?

Here you go:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/category.do?pagename=onboard_cat_things_to_do

Jonathan

Thank you Jonathon

That gives me a better idea but is there somewhere specific where I can get the day to day activities?

i mean - i have booked most of my stuff on the website but im not sure if there was anything else that might be on board.... for example - you see those maps of the ships showing you all the areas of the ship - but i cant see to find that either....you know the cartoony type on?

like this one

http://d1p2ydm3tiy6cn.cloudfront.net/connect/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/OasisImage-CUtaway.png?fedd7a

but larger...

Thank you Jonathon

That gives me a better idea but is there somewhere specific where I can get the day to day activities?

i mean - i have booked most of my stuff on the website but im not sure if there was anything else that might be on board.... for example - you see those maps of the ships showing you all the areas of the ship - but i cant see to find that either....you know the cartoony type on?

like this one

http://d1p2ydm3tiy6cn.cloudfront.net/connect/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/OasisImage-CUtaway.png?fedd7a

but larger...

I mentioned in an earlier post that RC delivers a Cruise Compass to the cabin every evening. It lists all the activities for the next day. The highlighters I mentioned in the Helpful Cruise Items can be used to mark the things that you don't want to miss.

Map of the ship can be found on RC under "Plan a Cruise" tab and then "ships" After selecting Quantum, scroll down about half way and you will see "View the deck plans" I think they are printable. There is a virtual tour also, I think.

Yes you are correct in that you did tell me....

yes i did find that map but that isnt one of the cut a way ones...

but the input is appreciated...

well i think that pretty much answers my questions..

if anyone else has anything that a first time cruiser should know about....

then please feel free to speak up -

some great people have given some awesome ideas with even greater hints and tips and they have been very patient with me...

because im always interested to know more and keep my options open.

Because the Quantum is using new RF bracelets as an option to a Seapass card, I don't know how that would work if one buys a soda package on board. Ordinarily they put a little sticker on one's card. Will they put it on the bracelet, instead? If bought ahead of time, this is printed on the sea pass card. With the purchase of a soda package, one receives a pretty, insulated, 22 oz. tumbler with a spill-proof lid. (I have a whole collection of them.) There is supposed to be a new tumbler out for the Quantum's first sailings.

The stick-up or hang-up air freshener for the bathroom is just a precaution. The older the ship, the more odors seem to linger in the bathroom. This should not be a problem on Quantum, but just in case...

Something else that I have found to come in handy is an over-the-door garment hook. There are a couple in the bath, but you'll want them for your towels and/or robe. There isn't always somewhere to hang your hat or jacket.

A night light won't work in the bathroom as the power outlet in there is only powered if the light is on

Kay

Because the Quantum is using new RF bracelets as an option to a Seapass card, I don't know how that would work if one buys a soda package on board. Ordinarily they put a little sticker on one's card. Will they put it on the bracelet, instead? If bought ahead of time, this is printed on the sea pass card. With the purchase of a soda package, one receives a pretty, insulated, 22 oz. tumbler with a spill-proof lid. (I have a whole collection of them.) There is supposed to be a new tumbler out for the Quantum's first sailings.

The stick-up or hang-up air freshener for the bathroom is just a precaution. The older the ship, the more odors seem to linger in the bathroom. This should not be a problem on Quantum, but just in case...

Something else that I have found to come in handy is an over-the-door garment hook. There are a couple in the bath, but you'll want them for your towels and/or robe. There isn't always somewhere to hang your hat or jacket.

A night light won't work in the bathroom as the power outlet in there is only powered if the light is on

Kay

We use a small "dome" battery powered light for the bathroom. Hate to turn that bright light on, switch is outside the bathroom, and wake up the cabin. Found a set of 3 @ Staples cheap.

@roadburner

"The older the ship, the more odors seem to linger in the bathroom."

oh dear - thanks for pointing that out, i never thought of that...to me that sounds (smells?) a bit off putting...

why would you need a jacket? im going to carribean? when someone says Jacket (to me as an aussie) i think its going to be cold wet and windy..

when i think of carribean - im thinking, sun, sand and bikini's - or do i have it wrong? (now you have me worried)

@devdale

i do not know what "staples" is - but i think i will be fine with the lights as i sleep with a eye mask on - to block out all lights......

@roadburner

"The older the ship, the more odors seem to linger in the bathroom."

oh dear - thanks for pointing that out, i never thought of that...to me that sounds (smells?) a bit off putting...

why would you need a jacket? im going to carribean? when someone says Jacket (to me as an aussie) i think its going to be cold wet and windy..

when i think of carribean - im thinking, sun, sand and bikini's - or do i have it wrong? (now you have me worried)

@devdale

i do not know what "staples" is - but i think i will be fine with the lights as i sleep with a eye mask on - to block out all lights......

I'm not roadburner, but the Quantum will be leaving out of NJ, which will be cold in the beginning of December. Your cruise is going to the Caribbean and yes it will be warm there, but not until about a day or two into the cruise.

Quantum does have an indoor pool so you can still swim if its cold.

@OfTheSeasCruiser

Thats ok if your not roadburner - im sure the answer will be the same..and its all in good friendly helping spirits...

I did expect that for it to be cold - being december,

but what do you define as "cold" - being an Aussie, anything below 10c is FREEZING :D

what im having issue with finding definite information is, "will there be snow in NYC" between 25 nov and the 1st, as well as 12 December and the 15...

from my research, the answer that i can find is "no snow but very cold"

yes i saw the indoor pool, that looks uber, but i hope 4,100 people arnt going to be crowded into that one tub...

@roadburner

thanks for clearing that up about staples, ill have to remember that...

Im from NSW. - Did you go to the theme parks on the Gold Coast? that place has the best theme parks on the planet - even better then disney land in some respects!

will you be on this cruise roadburner? or have you been to any of the ports? if so I would like to ask questions about the ports please? if im not bothering you too much

here is the itinerary

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itinerary.do?state=&packageCode=QN11Y009&hasFireandPolice=&hasMilitary=&hasSenior=&date=201412&cruiseType=CO

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Fort De France, Martinique

Bridgetown, Barbados

Basseterre, St Kitts

[quote name=QuantumCruiserAu;4416

what im having issue with finding definite information is' date=' "will there be snow in NYC" between 25 nov and the 1st, as well as 12 December and the 15[/quote]

There could be snow, no way to know. Likely not a huge snow storm that early though, fingers crossed!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are on both the inaugural cruise, 23 November, and the one following, 1 December. We've been to all the ports save Martinique. Can't say for sure what we have done on the different islands. The first time to an island we usually take a professionally guided tour of the island and it's history. The next time we might find a taxi and ask the driver to take us to the "hidden Jewels" of his island. We use "Tripadvisor.com" A LOT!! Go there and type in the port, say San Juan, Puerto Rico. When it comes up find the tab "things to do". That will bring up categories such as Tours, Shopping, Food & Drink, etc. When you click on the category of your choice, the listing therein will be in the order of most popular in reader responses. You can compare the listings on TripAdvisor with the shore excursions offered by the ship.

On St Maartin, one of the more popular beaches is one just across the road from the commercial airport (Maco Beach?). Airplanes of all sizes land just over your head, and some people seem to like being peppered by sand or even blown off their feet by the prop and jet-wash from departing planes.:rolleyes:

In San Juan, the fort is a must (or is it called a castle?). It's a huge stone edifice built by Bonaparte, I think, as a defense against the English. I can't remember if it is, or is not, visible from where our ship will port at the American Pier. If I remember my history correctly, Josephine Bonaparte was born on Martinique. I'll have to check that out.

Kay

@philndebbieatsea

Thanks for the input on the snow - i guess that is as honest answer as I could expect

see i have never seen snow before (being in Australia) - and from what i heard last year about a massive snow storm that hit new york city, it concerns me

Please understand, my winters look like this

http://www.kamekura.com/Uploads/Pages/Images/shelly-beach-Landscape.jpg

and my summers look like this

http://i.cdn.travel.cnn.com/sites/default/files/styles/inline_image_624x351/public/2011/07/21/shelly.widescreen.jpg?itok=t4IeQXOn

@roadrunner

Thats awesome! Hi 5 we will be on the same cruise!

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Fort De France, Martinique

Bridgetown, Barbados

Basseterre, St Kitts

San Juan, Puerto Rico

In all honesty - never - ever did I think that in my life time I would plan a trip that went to Puerto Rico....and im not sure if its safe either, either way

the ship isnt docked there for that long - and from what I could see on trip advisor, there isnt that much to see - an old fort and lots of tourist stuff.

Philipsburg, St. Maarten

NOW THIS IS THE ONE i have been dreaming about - i have seen photos of this for a long long time! and have wanted to do it! yes i wish to be one of those brave people who

has balls of steel to stand under a boeing as it lands or as it takes off!

do you now much about this particular thing? like how long it takes where to go etc? from my research - its 30 minutes taxi ride their and 30 back! - god i hope i dont miss the boat

i have not researched bridge town yet or basseterre, but being the fanatic "trip adviser/yelp" filter feeder that I, i will in due time!

as far as food and drinks, i think i will stick to the ship - after all I have paid, and i dont really want to pay twice for a meal i have paid for

@roadburner

Perhaps, if your interested, we could meet for a free hot dog (i have forgotton name of the hotdog shop on board) - my one weakness!! and put a face to the screen name if you wish - my way of saying thank you for the information..

I would invite others (and others are welcome) but you seem to be the only person on this thread that is going on my particular cruise...if there are others your welcome to join us if roadburner agrees - and if they dont, thats ok too..

I will warn you now though, I eat like a pig, often scoffing hot dogs as if there is no tomorrow :D

In St. Maarten, look at Bernard's Tours. They will give you a very fairly priced tour of both sides of the island and one of the stops will be Mako Beach. They usually try to time it so that you are there for at least a couple of takeoffs/landings. Our driver also made many stops to allow us to take pictures all over the island - loved it!

On the french side check out Seraphina's Patisserie - awesome sandwiches and pastries!

Traffic on St. Maarten can be challenging (especially returning from Mako Beach area) and the drivers know when you need to be back and monitor the traffic to ensure that you are back at the ship in plenty of time for sail away.

In St. Kitts we did a tour over to Neves that I would not recommend doing to anyone. We did it through the ship and it was botched all the way along! I believe it was called "Day Trip to Neves" or some such and included the trip to Neves, a tour of the island and then lunch. Lunch was the only good part, but the beach near the lunch place was littered with broken glass etc.

HTH

@CrookedHalo

Thank you for the input...

i will look into bernards tours - but i when i was researching the aeroplane landing thing, people on different websites said get to the airport early for the big jumbos

so im not sure how that will work for island tours..

that is one thing that definitely scares the living crap out of me - missing the boat because of traffic related problems!

omg - broken glass, i do not understand peoples mentality - by putting broken glass on a beach were people swim and go bare foot - its one of the most stupid, idiotic thing

a human can do...

but thanks for the feedback on the neves one - i will avoid it at all cost!

Will you be on this particular cruise?

@CrookedHalo

Thank you for the input...

i will look into bernards tours - but i when i was researching the aeroplane landing thing, people on different websites said get to the airport early for the big jumbos

so im not sure how that will work for island tours..

that is one thing that definitely scares the living crap out of me - missing the boat because of traffic related problems!

omg - broken glass, i do not understand peoples mentality - by putting broken glass on a beach were people swim and go bare foot - its one of the most stupid, idiotic thing

a human can do...

but thanks for the feedback on the neves one - i will avoid it at all cost!

Will you be on this particular cruise?

For St. Maartan, the website below will help you in knowing the arrival and departure times for the planes at Maho Beach.You can take take a taxi, approx. $7 pp one way or a bus for $2 to Maho Beach. Plenty of information on the Caribbean/St. Maarten forum for this port and other Caribbean ports you will be visiting.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

The flight schedule below is only for a 24 hour period. When it get closer to your sail date, a week before, check the schedule below on the *day* you will arrive. So if you arrive on a Friday, check the Friday prior to arrival and you'll see all the arrivals and departures times for each airline.

http://sunsetsxm.com/index.php/about-us/flight-schedules

We have taken Bernard's tour many times and they are highly recommended on TripAdvisor. They will time it right so you'll be able to see some planes landing and taking off. No need to worry about getting back to the ship on time with them as this is their lively hood and you'll have plenty of time to even go shopping once they drop you off at the pier and even in town.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147346-d1840452-Reviews-Bernard_s_Tours-St_Maarten_St_Martin.html

I love your winter and summer pictures and no one can really predict what the weather will be like on any given day. Wishing you a wonderful trip and great weather.

@Life is Good Cruising

Thanks for the post! it is appreciated.

Awesome links! especially the flight ones!

its a pity the cruise doesnt get into port earlier - because by the time you get off the ship and get a taxi there...you will miss the early 7am flights...

i love the summer and winter here too - i have a friend from Canada who showed me some pictures of his winter time, and my jaw dropped, because he was shovelling his car out from under snow.....

once again thank you for the links!

@Life is Good Cruising

Thanks for the post! it is appreciated.

Awesome links! especially the flight ones!

its a pity the cruise doesnt get into port earlier - because by the time you get off the ship and get a taxi there...you will miss the early 7am flights...

i love the summer and winter here too - i have a friend from Canada who showed me some pictures of his winter time, and my jaw dropped, because he was shovelling his car out from under snow.....

once again thank you for the links!

Your so welcome:)

No need to get into the port of St. Maarten earlier as most of the jumbo jets land and take off between 12-3 pm so you'll have plenty of time to see them. It's an amazing experience at Maho Beach, something you will not experience anywhere else. There are plenty of videos on youtube, I've added only one for you. It is not advisable to stand in the path of the jet blast as people have gotten hurt badly in the past.

It will be cold when you sail in December in N.J. so dress warm, hat, scarve and gloves. When it gets closer to your sail date you can check out the weather for N.J. on www. weather.com

In San Juan, the forts are amazing and close at 6 pm so your time will be limited. I only indicated one of the forts since you'll arrive at 4 pm in SJ and you won't have much time to see both of them. There is also a big convenience store across the street from the ship called CVS that many people go to for water, soda, snacks and so much more.

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/el-morro/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147320-d148186-Reviews-Castillo_de_San_Cristobal-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html

To reach El Morro fort, when you come off the ship and reach the road, make a left, just keeping walking straight ahead and you'll make a left at the end of the road and you'll walk along the waterfront. Here is some additional info on the fort.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2086069

There is also a free trolley in San Juan that you can also take to do some sightseeing but it only runs until 7 pm. You catch the trolley across the street from the CVS store, which is right near the ship.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147320-d147759-r230399522-Old_San_Juan-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html#REVIEWS

@Life is Good Cruising

ah ok - well might try some 'look abouts' before we go to the beach then - and might only stay 2 hours at the beach - just for the jumbos and then bugger off and see something different....which reminds me - i must

take ear plugs!

i have seen some videos on youtube - and some of them are very upsetting to see you get knocked onto concrete...

that video you linked of the jumbo taking off - i could not believe the camera guy turned away as it was taking off....it must of been very force full....

i still cant believe how incredible that is! those landings how close! - i would not want to jump up, for fear of being sucked into the intake!

thank you for the other links...

i was a little bit suss of san juan - but the photos you sent in this thread - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2086069 do not make it look so intimidating....

now i keep asking about "things to do on this thread" and it has been answered - and i was wondering why - and tonight i finally figured out "why"

and its not "what to do" but "what to wear" and what i mean by that is - i have not received a list of things to do on the ship - so i know what to bring?

does that make sense? im a little tired tonight....but do i bring suits? shorts? cozzies?

at this point i have this rought draft of what to bring

1 x suit - for special dinners and stuff - with appropriate shoes

5 x casual clothes - shorts, shirts etc

1 x cozzies for the pools and stuff.

when i have spoken to my friends about their cruises they have been on, they say that there are nights like "gender bender" night - where you cross dress and have fun..

or you dress up like cowboys and indians or cops and robbers etc.....

and i dont know what to bring for that as i dont know if those types of events will happen....