Best RC ship for a 3yr old and grandparents?

We would like to take a cruise in early Dec to celebrate my husband and my dad's big milestone bdays. Would love to try Oasis/Allure - here are my questions:

1. Do the pools/kids splash area have warm or cold water? My daughter has avoided outdoor pools this summer as she has complained they were too cold.

2. How crowded does it get for elevators/restaurants/boarding - would it be more frustrating for my parents who are in their 70s than being on a smaller ship?

3. Best reasonably priced cabin you would recommend I book to comfortably fit my husband/myself/child? Already decided my parents will have a balcony cabin. Would like to be higher, mid ship.

Long time since we've cruised and now our first time sailing with a toddler, your inputs would be appreciated. I have minimal time to research all of the great existing threads here for such advice.

We would like to take a cruise in early Dec to celebrate my husband and my dad's big milestone bdays. Would love to try Oasis/Allure - here are my questions:

1. Do the pools/kids splash area have warm or cold water? My daughter has avoided outdoor pools this summer as she has complained they were too cold.

2. How crowded does it get for elevators/restaurants/boarding - would it be more frustrating for my parents who are in their 70s than being on a smaller ship?

3. Best reasonably priced cabin you would recommend I book to comfortably fit my husband/myself/child? Already decided my parents will have a balcony cabin. Would like to be higher, mid ship.

Long time since we've cruised and now our first time sailing with a toddler, your inputs would be appreciated. I have minimal time to research all of the great existing threads here for such advice.

The Oasis/ Allure would be a great option for a small child because of the H20 Fun Zone pool area just for kids..it is a bit chilly the water, but they also have their own hot tubs..also the kid's arcade & game room is nice AND the Boardwalk area with the Carousel is wonderful for children..also there is Johnny Rockets ( shakes & burgers), candy & ice cream stores, and the diving show in the Aqua Theater is fantastic for all ages..then there's the ice- skating show, which ALL kids love..for cabins, I would choose either a D1 balcony OR the Boardwalk balcony cabin, which overlooks the Boardwalk area- they have a pullout sofa in many..OR a Junior Suite ( JS) is 50% bigger and has goodies like a BATHTUB for your daughter to wash, AND a walk -in closet...next choice for me would be the Freedom Class ships, which do NOT have the Boardwalk area, but do have the H20 Fun Zone pool area and ice-skating shows..both ship classes have parades down the Royal Promenade at night and the kid's programs ( you must enroll her, it's free) are very good..I'm Diamond on RCI, so,I've cruised a lot, plus I'm a cruise agent and know what people need for their type of cruise..any questions let us know here...sorry, read post below..this a double post...

Edited by big al
sorry, read post below...

The Oasis/ Allure would be a great option for a small child because of the H20 Fun Zone pool area just for kids..it is a bit chilly the water, but they also have their own hot tubs..also the kid's arcade & game room is nice AND the Boardwalk area with the Carousel is wonderful for children..also there is Johnny Rockets ( shakes & burgers), candy & ice cream stores, and the diving show in the Aqua Theater is fantastic for all ages..then there's the ice- skating show, which ALL kids love..for cabins, I would choose either a D1 balcony OR the Boardwalk balcony cabin, which overlooks the Boardwalk area- they have a pullout sofa in many..OR a Junior Suite ( JS) is 50% bigger and has goodies like a BATHTUB for your daughter to wash, AND a walk -in closet...next choice for me would be the Freedom Class ships, which do NOT have the Boardwalk area, but do have the H20 Fun Zone pool area and ice-skating shows..both ship classes have parades down the Royal Promenade at night and the kid's programs ( you must enroll her, it's free) are very good..I'm Diamond on RCI, so,I've cruised a lot, plus I'm a cruise agent and know what people need for their type of cruise..any questions let us know here...TIP- If you go in Dec., go the first 2 weeks of Dec, maybe 3rd ok, TOO..if not, prices will sky rocket the week of XMAS or NYE- there are usually great deals before the holidays, so book ASAP!!

Big Al

The Oasis/ Allure would be a great option for a small child because of the H20 Fun Zone pool area just for kids..it is a bit chilly the water, but they also have their own hot tubs

Big Al

Agree with the choice of ships, however, have never seen hot tubs for children on any RC ship. There are normally signs advising no children - although people ignore the signs, hot tubs are not a recommendation anywhere for children, especially as young as three..

Agree with the choice of ships, however, have never seen hot tubs for children on any RC ship. There are normally signs advising no children - although people ignore the signs, hot tubs are not a recommendation anywhere for children, especially as young as three..

There are 2 whirlpools on the Freedom class ships in the H20 zone..you can see them on deck 11..since the H20 zone is for kids, one would assume kids can enter w/o adults..the Oasis is not confirmed regarding whirlpools in the H20 zone...thanks for pointing out...

My daughter is already toilet trained so that much is good, it's the cold water that would be bad. It really sucks, she was ok the last 2 summers when she was aged 1 and 2, but now that she's 3, she is adament - no cold water :(

Thanks so much for your replies!

We just got off of Allure this past Sunday with our 3 yo and 10 month old. The Baby Splash Pool itself is heated, almost a little too warm sometimes on a hot day to be honest. The Current Pool in the Kids Pool area is also heated - always felt warm and comfy. The other pools are not heated but were never uncomfortably cold and my toddler would definitely have noticed if they were.

As for the elevators, they will seem crowded only during times that, literally, everyone is trying to use them - so going down to the gangway when you first get into port, going down to dinner if you go right before the standard dining times, debarkation. All other times are fine and often you will actually be the only ones on there believe it or not. And the middle bank of elevators are all glass too which will amuse the 3 yo to no end - trust me ;)

As for cabins, I can't really speak to anything but a balcony as that is what we always sail with. But i would highly recommend one as they are fantastic when the little one has to take a nap or go to bed as they give you a nice place to eat, drink and relax in the sea air when you are unable to leave the cabin easily. In fact, when we go with the grandparents we always try to get 2 connecting balconies and have the partition opened up which gives you a double length balcony :)

We have been on both Oasis and Allure and you really can't beat either, especially with a little one in tow and when traveling with a group as there are plenty of options for everyone.

Hope that helps!

Oasis or the Allure. Everybody will be happy! I do not recall the water being too cold on the ship. When we travel with the family, we love the Central Park view cabins. We get either with or without balconies. I find them to be very cost effective and peaceful. You can look down to see central park, so you have light and air- but not very noisey- especially in the evening. Great for those who enjoy going to sleep early. I would suggest that you get attached cabins. We like deck 9, without a balcony (but not sure if for three) or deck 10- Cabins above and below is our rule. CP is midship also and very accessible.

Enjoy your cruise.

If it's a hot day, the pools will heat up as the day goes on...they are "solar heated"! I wouldn't worry about your dd not using the pool....if she does, she does! If not, oh well!

Ditto the balcony for your family...with a smaller child, a balcony will give you adults some place "to be" when she's down for the night!

It makes things a lot easier that your daughter is toilet trained--that opens up more options to you. We cruised with our son last year (he was 3 at the time and NOT completely trained) and that made it a little more challenging. We still had a great time anyway.

I agree that the itinerary might be more important than the ship at this age. I haven't sailed on Allure or Oasis, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but at 3, your daughter probably won't be as into the things that make Allure and Oasis special... or many of the things you see on other ships, like the rock-climbing wall, Flowrider or special restaurants. She might, on the other hand, love Adventure Ocean, which is available on other, smaller ships. It might be easier to find a cruise that docks in one place for several days (like Bermuda) to avoid feeling rushed. How much time do you think she would spend in the pool?

It really boils down to what you and your family want to do. IMO, you could have a good time on a smaller Vision or Radiance class ship just as easily as you could on Allure or Oasis. I highly recommend a Junior Suite if you'd like to be high up/mid-ship. That will give you a little extra room.

Oh and if you would highly suggest another ship instead of Oasis/Allure for us, please do so!

1) Disney Fantasy / Disney Dream - Everything is for kids, shows, pools, Nemo's Reef water play area, including Disney's Rotational Dining where you can enjoy a different restaurant every night of your cruise, Disney Wishes Nighttime Spectacular Fireworks Show, and Disney's Oceaneer Club.

2) RC Allure / RC Oasis - Boardwalk Carousel, DreamWorks Experience, H2O Zone, Adventure Ocean Program: Aquanauts (Ages 3-5)

3) RC Liberty / RC Freedom - DreamWorks Experience, Bigger H2O Zone than Oasis Class. Adventure Ocean Program: Aquanauts (Ages 3-5)

My daughter is already toilet trained so that much is good, it's the cold water that would be bad. It really sucks, she was ok the last 2 summers when she was aged 1 and 2, but now that she's 3, she is adament - no cold water :(

Thanks so much for your replies!

Do Oasis/ Allure if she can swim. There is the mini lazy river that my 2 kids lived in last time. Water was OK and they were never blue when getting out. As for the room size with a toddler, it will not matter. We have our room attendant just put sheets on the couch and he sleeps there. He is 7 now and will be sleeping on the couch this year too. They are so exhausted anyway, they don't care. No need to pull the bed out.

The boardwalk was nice on Oasis last time but my kids did not really use it so choose a room that you want. The kids will be happy!!