Herded around like cattle

I can say there are only a few times that I feel uncomfortably crowded on almost any ship.

Yes, getting out of the theater -- but that is the same if you go to the theater at home or a very HOT movie.

The first night going into dinner in the MDR.....there should be a better way to navigate it so that there isn't a line waiting to get in (generally the rest of the cruise it is much better). Because we are D's disembarking the ship isn't an issue.

I always seem to find a table easily in the WJ, so that isn't a problem. Some of the casual eateries on Allure this past summer were more crowded than the WJ, and fellow cruisers in line, are too often rude rather than simply polite. One advice I could give to fellow cruisers is -- while you are on line, decide what you want....then when it is YOUR TURN -- order it....gee how much faster the line will move....there may not even be a line if everyone did that.

It is a given that parades in the Promenade or some activities in the Centrum will be very crowded and difficult to navigate when they complete for a few minutes.

It's interesting that you cruise mostly in February, June, October and November. Quieter times outside the school holidays. In August it's absolutely heaving.

One of the things I hear a lot on here is people saying, "we didn't bother going to this or that" for the very reasons I'm talking about. The promenade parades and captains welcome for instance. We adapt to avoid the crowds but RC obviously think it's quite ok to ram people in because they organise the events.

I've mentioned it once already but the captain's welcome aboard "party" is a prime example. Now you have to be a member of the crown and Anchor society to enjoy a captin's event in the main lounge othwise it's a scrum in the promenade. The same is true for several events throughout a cruise.

I'm not sure the comparison to air travel is a fair one. They are very different beasts but agreed it's not called cattle class by accident. As an English family we are used to having to take a flight to join a cruise. Southampton departures are a recent but much appreciated treat.

Henry :)

Henry, I'm not sure of your age, but flying used to be enjoyable! There was a time we dressed up for it, had free food (some even good:)), pleasant flight attendants (stewardesses), happy waiting area, no feeling like a criminal each and every time, friends and family able to go to gate to see you off and wait for your return. It was a different animal and enjoyed by many.

I still stand by my remark that I paid the same money for both air and cruise and will enjoy the cruise much more.

Being a city girl, there cannot be enough people and commotion for me, so probably I don't mind the crowds, lines, waiting, etc. Bring it on!:D

A "cattle call" experience is better than a work day anytime. ;)

At this point, the OP has pretty much torn apart anything RCI so I'm not sure why they feel the need to continue whining when they've already found an option that better suits them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wonder how long people will accept being herded around like cattle on Royal Caribbean ships ?

Back in the day it was all a bit of a novelty. Amazing ship, waiter, assistant waiter, sommelier, head waiter and bar staff running around during dinner making you feel special, loads of activities, huge shows and so on.

These days the dining room is stripped down to the bare bones with staff doing everything in their power just to ensure meals are delivered in time. The ships are getting ever bigger but so are the numbers. Gone is the captain's welcome aboard drinks party replaced by a scrum in the promenade where you stand shoulder to shoulder in an attempt to catch a glimpse of someone in a uniform.

As we left our ship a couple of weeks ago at 9.30am we felt guilt for being the last people to collect our luggage. When did it become the norm to get turfed out of bed at 7.00am by someone checking the in suite mini bar! How would you react if a land based resort said you had to be out of your room by 8.00am ?

Loud hailers are the norm as you queue to get on board - actually Southampton were superb mainly because they concentrated on getting the job done rather than earning tips and security isn't measured by the length of the queue. Lets face it you are just one of 50,000 people being pushed through the system that week.

We are loyal to Royal. As diamond plus cruisers we keep coming back and last time brought 19 people on board. But the magic does wear off. Prices seem to be moving ever higher during periods where those with children can travel to the point where last year we went totally the other way and booked a Seabourn cruise for Christmas & the new Year.

This year we have done the same. Greeted by name as we went in for breakfast on the first morning, dining when ever you want and with whoever you choose, everything all found onboard and I do mean everything. Champagne (not fizzy wine) and caviar included! No fighting for sun loungers, drinks brought to you when you wanted. Truly living the dream.

This Christmas we looked around and would you believe it Seabourn was actually cheaper then Royal Caribbean when we priced up a suite. The standard cabin on Seabourn Sojourn is somewhere between a Junior and a Grand Suite.

I'm not looking to stoke up an argument or troll for responses but genuinely asking the question, how do others feel about being herded around like cattle and fighting for sun loungers ?

You can't compare a ship with a passenger load of nearly 4000 to one with fewer than 500. Apples and oranges. Sounds like you have "out grown" Royal, as folks of a certain age and income often do, I imagine! Glad you are happy with your new choice!

Edited by SeagoingMom

So if someone asks a question and has a polite discussion with people from around the world some of whom agree, some of whom don't it's trolling if the conversation doesn't conform to your idealised view of the world.

Why ask the question that started off the discussion?

To see if it's just me?

To try and make sense of a recent cruise which left me with more questions than answers?

To see whether we cruise Anthem when she comes to our shores next year?

Who knows?

Anyway, I shall let you carry on stifling healthy debate in the hope it prevents you seeing reality.

Good luck with things.

Anyway, I shall let you carry on stifling healthy debate in the hope it prevents you seeing reality.

Good luck with things.

Sounds more like your trying to convince others to see it your way than having a healthy discussion...but that's JMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wonder how long people will accept being herded around like cattle on Royal Caribbean ships ?

Back in the day it was all a bit of a novelty. Amazing ship, waiter, assistant waiter, sommelier, head waiter and bar staff running around during dinner making you feel special, loads of activities, huge shows and so on.

These days the dining room is stripped down to the bare bones with staff doing everything in their power just to ensure meals are delivered in time. The ships are getting ever bigger but so are the numbers. Gone is the captain's welcome aboard drinks party replaced by a scrum in the promenade where you stand shoulder to shoulder in an attempt to catch a glimpse of someone in a uniform.

As we left our ship a couple of weeks ago at 9.30am we felt guilt for being the last people to collect our luggage. When did it become the norm to get turfed out of bed at 7.00am by someone checking the in suite mini bar! How would you react if a land based resort said you had to be out of your room by 8.00am ?

Loud hailers are the norm as you queue to get on board - actually Southampton were superb mainly because they concentrated on getting the job done rather than earning tips and security isn't measured by the length of the queue. Lets face it you are just one of 50,000 people being pushed through the system that week.

We are loyal to Royal. As diamond plus cruisers we keep coming back and last time brought 19 people on board. But the magic does wear off. Prices seem to be moving ever higher during periods where those with children can travel to the point where last year we went totally the other way and booked a Seabourn cruise for Christmas & the new Year.

This year we have done the same. Greeted by name as we went in for breakfast on the first morning, dining when ever you want and with whoever you choose, everything all found onboard and I do mean everything. Champagne (not fizzy wine) and caviar included! No fighting for sun loungers, drinks brought to you when you wanted. Truly living the dream.

This Christmas we looked around and would you believe it Seabourn was actually cheaper then Royal Caribbean when we priced up a suite. The standard cabin on Seabourn Sojourn is somewhere between a Junior and a Grand Suite.

I'm not looking to stoke up an argument or troll for responses but genuinely asking the question, how do others feel about being herded around like cattle and fighting for sun loungers ?

Never once felt like that

I always have a great time cruising. If I EVER feel like I'm being "herded around like cattle" I would stop cruising. I do feel that some people consistently look for bad in every situation. I always try to enjoy every minute that I have on this planet. Happiness is a choice.

The only two instances where we have felt that we have been, "herded around like cattle" while on a cruise would be 1) waiting in line for five minutes or so for the doors to open for traditional dining and then being caught up in the mob scene and 2) going on ship sponsored excursions.

Now we just do not participate in traditional dining nor ship sponsored excursions. Problem solved.

I guess if you don't want to be in a crowd or "herded" around, one should just rent a houseboat.

I think Royal does a good job of "people" control by separating venues and schedules. Obviously, popular attractions will attract groups of like minded people.

Edited by cruzincurt