Bar Harbor

Jaylie

I will be on the October 19th cruise on the Brilliance that has a stop in Bar Harbor, Maine. I believe the ship will be tendered and not docked. I've never been there and wondered if I just take the tender in, will there be places to visit and maybe have lunch without taking a tour. I guess my question is, will the tender take me to a town of some sort? I'm hoping not to take a tour because I'd like to meet a friend who lives near there! Thanks.

Yes, the tender will drop you off in town. We booked Ollie's Trolley for a tour of Acadia National

Park and it is right where you tender. Your friend can meet you where the tender drops you off and have lunch in town. After our tour, we explored the area on foot. It's a charming area.

Enjoy!

Bar Harbor is a great little town with lots of shops and restaurants. The tender takes you to a dock right at the intersection of West and Main Streets.

http://www.geddys.com/cams.html

There is a nice walking path right along the edge of the harbor and a nice park with benches to look out over the harbor.

We are in Bar Harbor the week before you and are doing Ollie's Trolley to Acadia and then will come back and shop and have lunch in town. If you decide on Ollie's Trolley, book it yourself directly instead of through the cruiseline. Much cheaper.

Bar Harbor is a great little town with lots of shops and restaurants. The tender takes you to a dock right at the intersection of West and Main Streets.

http://www.geddys.com/cams.html

There is a nice walking path right along the edge of the harbor and a nice park with benches to look out over the harbor.

We are in Bar Harbor the week before you and are doing Ollie's Trolley to Acadia and then will come back and shop and have lunch in town. If you decide on Ollie's Trolley, book it yourself directly instead of through the cruiseline. Much cheaper.

We booked directly as well. Had a great time. Loved walking along the waterfront, so picturesque.

Once you get off the tender, there are many stores right there in walking distance. Your friend should have an idea where they drop off people from the tender and it will be very easy to find your friend. We had lunch in town after Ollie's Trolley to Acadia, don't remember the name of the restaurant but it was on the water and had a delicious lobster roll. We went the end of September two years ago on Brilliance and I remember the weather was very cool.

Brilliance is a beauty with her glass elevators that face the sea. Have a wonderful cruise.

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

You get off the tender walk to the end of the pier and you are at the foot of Bar Harbor. Look left and there is the Bar Harbor Hotel. Walk that way and you will find on a path that will run along the ocean that will give you great views of you ship, keep walking till the end go right follow the road to the street and you will be in the middle of Bar Harbor and start looking around. It's not a big village so you don't need lots of time to explore. Ollie's trolley is a great idea it will take you places you wouldn't see other wise. I am not sure if it takes you up Cadillac Mountain or not, but that is where first light hits the U.S in the morning. Driving around this morning I saw some color change, so maybe color will be early this year but in this part of the coastal Maine color change is usually peak on October 10th so if it isn't early you should have good color as well. If you are meeting a friend, they must be from Maine and they will give you a really good insider look of the area. Welcome to you and all your shipmates and thanks for coming.

Bar Harbor is a small town . As previously suggested , Ollie's Trolly can take you to Arcadia NP for a reasonable $ . Tickets right there @ the dock.

Or better yet , have your friend join you or even take you on a tour to the NP.

Edited by MCC retired

Lots of great answers ... The 19th is getting toward the end of the season, but everything should be open ... If you friend is from the area I will suppose that he/she will have a vehicle - perhaps your friend can drive you around and give you a tour - If they are from the area, they should know all the places to visit.

Enjoy your cruise and have fun on Mt. Desert! Jan

If you are up for a bit of Maine Lobster, once you are off of the tender, turn left, and walk to the West End Café. Once you have located it, just remember that it will be (IMHO) the best place for a great lobster lunch.

Go and walk the town, or head out for Cadillac Mountain, with a guide, and learn the history of the town, and when so many of the beautiful homes were burned to the ground. Bar Harbor, at one time, was the summer home to the rich and famous.

Have a drink in the Taxi Café.....a fun place. Explore, but have lunch at the West Side Café..........you won't be sorry.......especially if you join many of us that have had that experience!!;)

Rick

My grandmother, mother, and I were on the same cruise last Oct on Brilliance and did not have a tour scheduled (Unfortunately Acadia was closed due to the government shutdown last year, so our tour was cancelled), but loved the port all the same. It was a quick tender and tons of shops/restaurants at the port. It's very hilly (I learned that fast as my grandmother was in a wheelchair), but very scenic. Great Lostah in Bar Harbah!! You will not be disappointed.

Karen