New canon camera

setsail

I have the SX40HS and love it . Have had the Powershot 500 series for years. When they went to LCD display only on the small point and shot cameras , I went looking for a new camera.

This will be a busy week in the camera world with Photokina starting tomorrow.

I remember the days when it was a much bigger deal with all the major announcements happening every other year during the show. All the magazines published expanded issues to cover the big news and we all waited with bated breath to see what the next big thing was going to be.

For all of the benefits the internet affords me, I kind of miss the suspense and the excitement that ubiquitous information has removed from industries like photography and consumer electronics.

On the other hand, online reviews and comparison pages really shine a light on the products and force the manufacturers to work harder to produce awesome equipment to make them stand out.

Loss vs. gain is pretty heavy on the gain side after all.

Dave

I moved from the SX20 to SX50 late last year. Certain changes annoyed me - like swapping the locations of the video button and playback button (growl !), and moving the stitch function from the mode dial into a hidden menu.

But the speed has greatly improved - the high speed burst function was used A LOT on my Antarctica trip - great for birds in flight and whales tales.

It performed in low light a lot better than all my previous SX high zoom range.

And the photos taken on the fully racked out zoom are still lovely and crisp and clear. Practice is needed for holding that zoom length on a moving boat!

Dont think I will leap out and get the SX60 just yet - I like to update every 3 years roughly.

I've had the SX50 for almost 2 years now. Upgraded from an 2IS and have no complaints at all. it is quick and responsive with a huge zoom lens. You will love the SX60. I have many family and friends who have also purchased the SX50. Great price for the value.

Last year I bought Canon SX280 HS. It never worked. After few pictures indicating low battery even on full charge. Internet is full of the same complaints. I am off Canon for good.

Have you tried Canon customer service? I had a problem with a camera that was long out of warranty and they fixed it, including postage both ways.

I've had the SX50 for almost 2 years now. Upgraded from an 2IS and have no complaints at all. it is quick and responsive with a huge zoom lens. You will love the SX60. I have many family and friends who have also purchased the SX50. Great price for the value.

I am looking forward to getting mine. They came around and put a 3" LCD on the 60, been waiting for that, and of course I love that they put a viewfinder on this series of cameras.

The viewfinder is one requirement for me when getting a camera. It always makes me chuckle when I see people hold there "camera" at arms length to take a picture.

So, when you have to take a picture over a crowd, you jump-click, jump-click? :)

Viewfinder or not, LCDs at arms length are hugely useful for composing at low or high angles, especially if they tilt.

I have had P&S cameras with no viewfinder, peep-hole VFs (which I never used) and always found them to be quite serviceable and the lack of viewfinder was an acceptable trade-off for compactness. Viewfinder plus LCD is absolutely preferable but a good bright LCD and pocketability without a VF is a strong sales point when you're on a budget .

Now, tablet photography...that's just evil! ;)

Dave

Dave, I can't believe you gave my secret away about getting pictures above a crowd. :) Actually, I have a periscope device that allows me to see over crowds with my camera. :P

Actually the SX50 does have the tiltable LCD and I have used that before. And just used it last week taking a "time-delay" picture of wife/me on the rocks outside of St John, NB.

And "totally" agree with you about people with tablets... :)

BTW, your picture reminds me of the landing pattern at Logan in Boston. The ship pier is at the beginning of the runway for landing planes.

Steve

Yeah looks good but what about the New "G 7 X".

But its price don't look so good at least not here. About $400 cheaper in USA, why???

I havent paid for a camera in Aus in many years - at least since 2002ish. Order them from the US - even with postage and insurance you are still in front by several hundred dollars.