Live from my Slow Boat to China -- the Amsterdam

arzz

In China - October 24, 2014

Forgotten tidbits:

At the Forbidden City we witnessed a pair of people (I thought they were women, DH thought they were men) dressed in grey robes and leggings, and shaved heads like the monks. They were wearing backpacks, Reeboks and taking photos of each other at a courtyard gate with their cell phones.

During last night's dinner at the Tang Dynasty show - we were served a local rice wine (alcohol content about 1%) - it was poured into white porcelain cups that stood on three curved legs - the cups actually looked like large white teeth. The wine was milky white, sweet, and tasted similar to yeast and and tart cider. Very unusual.

In Beijing, when they build residential buildings which are often forty stories tall - the rule is that an elevator is not required unless the building is over seven stories tall.

OK - today was the day. We went to see the Terra Cotta Warriors. On the way we stopped at a store where they cut and sell Jade that is affiliated with a local university that grants degrees in geology. Interesting, but that was not what I had on my mind at all today.

It was sunny and mostly clear - temperature in the upper sixties to lower seventies. It was a long drive to the location of the warrior museum - and even longer right now as the most direct highway is under construction. On the way we stopped for lunch at a restaurant where we could watch a noodle chef stretching Chinese noodles, and then, of course, get a bowl of fresh noodle soup.

Rainbow, our local guide, explained that they have uncovered over 8000 warriors so far. Each one is different - different face, differences in clothing. They have discovered the emperor's tomb - but they have not uncovered it as it is full of mercury - the preliminary excavations indicate that liquid mercury was used to simulate lakes and rivers in the emperor's tomb. In all, they believe that there are 180 "pits" that they will need to eventually uncover. Only four pits have been excavated so far. The museum was very crowded even though our trip was scheduled for the afternoon in order to try to avoid the worst of the crowds.

Pit one is the most famous and contains the bulk of the army of warriors built to protect the emperor in his tomb. Pits two and three are not so dramatic in their contents and in one of the two pits many of the warriors found have been crushed past current ability to restore them. Pit number four appears to contain bones - believed to be of the workers who built the tomb and warriors - buried there to keep the site a secret from the rest of China and the world.

The warriors were all that I had anticipated, and more. The display was glorious. In the first three buildings the warriors are viewed from above, our ground level, and we looked down on the hoard of soldiers as they marched through their "ground level" - that of long ago.

In the last museum we were able to view some of the individual soldiers up close and personal as they were placed in glass cases which we could walk around. The detail of their clothing and appearance is incredible. You can see the folds in their clothing, a small "pot belly" peeking forward from under a belt, the shape of their shoes and the expressions on their faces.

From the warriors it was a two hour drive at rush hour to get to the restaurant for our evening meal. Apparently Xi'an is the section of China where the best dumplings are made and we were taken to a dumpling restaurant with a 300 year history. Kevin, our Uniworld guide, supplied us with a local liqueur that is over 100 proof that he calls "Firewater" - we each got one small thimble size glass full that we were supposed to chug down all at once. And then the dumplings flowed.

There were dumplings of all shapes, including little ones shaped like ducks with a long neck and pointed beak that contained, of course, a duck filling. We had various types vegetable, pork, ham and chicken dumplings - we had a round of dumplings made with nuts that was particularly good - most of the dumplings were wrapped in white dough but some were wearing green.

Even though each morsel was small it did not take long for us to be stuffed and happy. We had enjoyed over 16 varieties.

Back to the hotel after dinner. Tomorrow we fly to Shanghai - or in my case, back to Shanghai.

In China - October 25, 2014

It was another early morning for our flight to Shanghai - bags out at 6:00, on the bus at 7:45. But it was a bit easier than our flight the other day. No delays, no change of gates and on time arrival.

It was sunny and 77 degrees in Shanghai today. We boarded the bus and were driven to Suzhow - about 90 minutes from the airport. Our local guide Allie ( who was given her English name by her high school English teacher) took some of this time to share a history of Shanghai and Suzhow. Our Uniworld guide Kevin goes everywhere with us and does a superb job of making arrangements, ordering food, buying snacks, sharing information about China (he was also our local guide in Beijing) and pretty much serving as "en loco parentis" for our group of 12 travelers. In addition to Kevin we get a local guide at each location. Allie is our guide here.

We learned that Shanghai is a much younger city than Beijing and Xi'an. It was occupied by the British (who were referred to by the Chinese as "big nosed devils") for many years - and later by the Japanese. The British, however, through their use of trade were responsible for the arrival of opium in China.

We spent the afternoon at the Humble Administrator's Garden - a UNESCO World Heritage site. It is a large green garden that winds over paths paved in grey stones set in decorative patterns, around canals full of lotus flowers, fish and mandarin ducks, and around several pavilions decorated in carved woods and glass windows.

After the garden it was on to the hotel where we are on the 42nd floor looking out over Suzhow.

Dinner this evening was in a restaurant in the large upscale shopping mall that connects to this hotel. As usual our guides ordered for us - it was cuisine local to this area of China which is characterized by not too much spice and a little sweet. The meal was spectacular. In previous meals we have dined on foods like ginko, bitter melon and chicken feet (personally, I passed here - I do have my limits).

Tonight there were prawns with asparagas, another version of chicken with peanuts (this time not hot spicy but full of broken peppercorns that imparted a pepper flavor without the heat), stir fried string beans, a dish that looked like deep fried onion strings but was, in fact, deep fried lotus, then there were bamboo shoots and ham (and unlike the flat strips that we know as bamboo shoots these were concentric rings of vegetable - resembling slices of leek - just like the bamboo shoots that the Pandas ate the other day) and my personal favorite: sticky rice and pumpkin.

Essentially this dish was a skinned pumpkin stuffed with a sticky rice mixture that contained some sweet local fruits (possibly lechee nuts or similar) - but it was the presentation that was the show stopper. The pumpkin was served in a bowl, bottom side up so that it looked for all the world like a shiny orange pumpkin - but when you cut out a wedge you could discover the wonderful stuffing.

Speaking of stuffing I really pigged out - lunch was served on China Eastern Airlines on route to Shanghai and I was starving.

After dinner we went to a second UNESCO World Heritage site garden, the Master of the Nets garden which dates back to the 12th century. This garden is much smaller than the one we saw earlier today and is essentially the courtyards that surround a grand old home. Here we were entertained with short performances of traditional music, plays, and Chinese opera. Our group slowly passed through the ancient home and courtyards, stopping every so often in a room, or yard, to see a short performance. The evening was slightly breezy, about 70 degrees, the garden and old rooms were enchanting and things were timed so that our group was alone for each delightful performance. Even the performance that had two simultaneous climaxes; the one provided by the musicians, and the one provided by the loud but unseen cat in heat.

Tomorrow Tongli and Shanghai.

Edited by arzz

In China - October 26, 2014

Today we got to sleep in - bags out the door at 8:00 am, leave the hotel at 9:00. We drove about an hour to an embroidery workshop where the women embroider incredible images and likenesses in silk thread on silk. The large pieces - especially the ones that are embroidered two sided - where a picture appears on each side - a technique where both sides are embroidered at the same time (all work is done by hand) - are quite costly - the smaller pieces are done by their students and are less expensive. It was very interesting and very impressive to watch the demonstration of the work which proceeds painfully slowly by extremely talented and patient women.

From there we had another ride to the water town of Tongli. Walking through the town gives one a bit of a feeling of what Old China might have been like. The town grew up around the water of a narrow canal - small shops and homes constructed on streets made of old, uneven bricks and stones. We walked down "alleyways" and across the canals on curved, stone bridges. Some of the alleyways were wide enough for just one person to walk - they were paved crosswise with rectangular stones that were barely two feet wide and about eight to ten inches long. There were spaces between the stones which were not well seated above something. We were told to be careful as what was beneath was a shallow sewer.

The shops along the way sold all manner of tourist stuff as well as lots of barbecue pigs feet and knuckles. There were also private homes on the back streets and there was a group of cormorants (ospreys) that were trained for fishing in the classic way. We were given a demonstration. A string is tied around the neck of the bird - tight but not too tightly. The birds are released in the water and they dive for fish. The string prevents them from swallowing the fish all of the way. When they return the fisherman massages their necks and the fish come back up. The birds are rewarded with a small bit from their catch.

Since it was Sunday today the town was very crowded but we were treated to a ride in a gondola that took us down and around the canals. After the gondola ride we were taken to a hundred year old restaurant where we were surrounded with old Chinese carved wood and could look out into the water town while we enjoyed a lunch of local dishes.

After lunch it was back into the bus and on to our Shanghai hotel. We now have two nights at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel on the Bund in Shanghai. From our hotel window we can see the lights of the high rises along the Bund - just like we did last week from the Amsterdam - but from a slightly different angle.

This hotel is a real treat. Every place we have stayed on this trip has been quite elegant - but not like this. It has an old colonial elegance that has been enhanced by modern convenience, and incredible service.

Since the weather today was sunny and low eighties we arrived at the hotel hot and very tired. The plan was to lay down for a nap before dinner. Our luggage was already in our room. As we began our first settle in duty (collect passports and excess currency to fill the safe) the doorbell rang - it was a complimentary fruit tray. It was then back again to collecting ourselves and the doorbell rang again - a visit from our personal concierge checking on us to make sure that everything in the room was perfect.

Next stop, the bathroom. When I opened the door to the toilet stall, the commode "saluted" me like Andy Griffith's commodes in the old movie "No Time for Sergeants", and a hidden exhaust fan kicked on. Taking a seat I discovered that it was heated toasty warm. After my jobs were complete I was able to take care of absolutely anything I wished to have done to me automatically using the small stainless steel buttons mounted on the wall - and have them done any way I want it - oscillating, pulsating, front, rear, pressure and position ... oh, and "dryer". And, a short time after leaving the cubicle the seat "unsalutes" and waits patiently for its next customer.

The marble bathroom has a very large walk in shower as well as a large soaking tub and just about any bathroom amenity one would wish. The one thing I could not explain was the TV remote on the counter with the double sinks. So, just for the hell of it I switched it to on ... and yes, the mirror becomes a TV screen.

For dinner this evening we were allowed to pick which one of three hotel restaurants to eat at. The fancy French restaurant, the casual brasserie, or the Chinese restaurant. We did not all have to eat together. Most chose the French restaurant - four of us chose the Chinese. We were allowed to pick several appetizers and main courses - among other things we dined on jelly fish, eel, chicken, pork, and sautéed seasonal vegetables (incredibly good full of water chestnuts and fresh lotus along with more common string beans, asparagus, etc) all in the elegant environment of a 5 star hotel dining room. What a time the four of us had.

At the close of the meal we were too tired to go out to the Bund this evening - just enjoyed it from our room. Tomorrow night we have free time and we will enjoy it then.

I've been enjoying this trip of yours more than usual because I'll be covering some of the same ground myself in a few months.

All of which prompts a delicate question...

Would you please discuss the facilities in the "comfort rooms" (I think that's how they refer to them) while touring about, especially in Beijing, Shanghai, and Xi'an? I need to know if western style facilities are readily available in the typical tourist sites. I know my hotel has them.

Thanks for whatever info you can provide.

Ruth

Delicate question - yes - but oh, so important

Our guide Kevin calls them "happy rooms" - I am prepared for Eastern style (I am wearing leggings this trip rather than slacks - no need to roll up the cuffs - others prefer skirts) and I am fortunate enough to be able to handle the Eastern style if necessary. Not everyone can.

The guides know, pretty much, where the better facilities are located and bring us there if possible. We are warned if facilities will be poor or unavailable for a period of time with an estimate of how long it will be before a better option is available. Most places we have been have had at least one handicapped stall which is Western style. Only once or twice have I had to acquiesce to the local customs. We are fortunate that there are only seven women in our group.

That said - most places are clean - but few have paper. Be prepared. Most do not have soap and we hardly ever see a paper towel. TP is not generally flushed in the public happy rooms. Acquiring a small bottle of hotel shower gel to carry solves the soap issue - and, of course, a finish with Purell - but let your hands dry first for the Purell to be most effective.

There were no facilities to use between our arrival at Tianimin Square and our exit after touring the Forbidden City - a matter of a few hours. We were warned.

At the Terra Cotta Warrior museum there were some clean facilities available.

At Tongli today there were adequate facilities at the welcome center where we started and ended our tour. I will report more on Shanghai after we do our touring.

Oh, thank you so much for the information! It's enough to make me "happy". ;)

I just about always wear a dress while touring, so that's covered. I'll remember to bring TP, and love the idea to bring hotel shampoo. It's a good one.

I'm feeling a lot more confident about touring there now, thanks to you. Much appreciated.

I am loving this thread and this discussion takes me back.... way back.

In 1984 I did a train trip (with many 2 or 3 day stops) from Hong Kong to London. It was before they modernized the Chinese trains and the facilities on the train were eastern style.... a hole in the floor of the little cubby that served as a ladies room. You could see the tracks below!!! And you were moving so the train was swaying. Thank heaven I did that when I was younger (and slimmer).

But that trip... which was 7 weeks from beginning to end still stands out in my mind. China was a real experience but I was glad to see Outer Mongolia and Russia were travel by train became a bit easier. I did the entire trip and really in London if they had asked me if I wanted to go back the answer would have been a resounding yes.

Susan

This thread has been so beautifully written that I don't understand why arzz is not writing professionally! Just sayin' ;)

I was in PRC in the late 80s for almost 3 years and was stunned by the changes in Beijing when we returning in 2007 (one year before the Olympics). And when we visited Shanghai in 2013, and were totally spoiled by our stay at the Waldorf Astoria on the Bund. As arzz wrote, the service is amazing, but the bathroom we had was, is and, I suspect, always will be the most amazing bathroom I have ever experienced.:D I swear I lived in smaller apartments in my youth (and definitely lacking WA appointments).

Oh, thank you so much for the information! It's enough to make me "happy". ;)

I just about always wear a dress while touring, so that's covered. I'll remember to bring TP, and love the idea to bring hotel shampoo. It's a good one.

I'm feeling a lot more confident about touring there now, thanks to you. Much appreciated.

Ruth, not sure if it will help but it's always worth looking around in the Ladies for a Western loo. They are often one hidden away at the end of the cubicles except in rural areas.

But just in case, you can google "how to use a squat toilet" which I have found useful (through sheer desperation). Best tip is to face the wall, not away as we usually do:cool:

Ruth, not sure if it will help but it's always worth looking around in the Ladies for a Western loo. They are often one hidden away at the end of the cubicles except in rural areas.

But just in case, you can google "how to use a squat toilet" which I have found useful (through sheer desperation). Best tip is to face the wall, not away as we usually do:cool:

I'll take your first suggestion, Chris. Thanks for offering it.

As to the second---not going to happen again in this lifetime. I have enough trouble getting down & back up off a dining room chair! (and that's using my cane to do it)

This thread has been so beautifully written that I don't understand why arzz is not writing professionally! Just sayin' ;)

I was in PRC in the late 80s for almost 3 years and was stunned by the changes in Beijing when we returning in 2007 (one year before the Olympics). And when we visited Shanghai in 2013, and were totally spoiled by our stay at the Waldorf Astoria on the Bund. As arzz wrote, the service is amazing, but the bathroom we had was, is and, I suspect, always will be the most amazing bathroom I have ever experienced.:D I swear I lived in smaller apartments in my youth (and definitely lacking WA appointments).

Completely agree this thread is beautifully written.. I was under the impression that AARZ was either a professional writer, teacher, or professor but I could be completely mistaken..

If you want to read another amazing travelogue by AARZ look at this thread about her trip on the Prinsendam around the Horn in 2007..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=480550

I was spellbound & I downloaded it into my computer to read to DH when we planned our trip around the Horn years later.. My DH was so enthralled by her account & was hoping we would have a little excitement too, but it was not to be even though we had a wonderful cruise..

I'm once again spellbound!:)

AARZ hope you don't mind but I'm downloading your posts on this thread too.. I'm so fascinated by them & going to re-read it after you finish..

Thanks you so much for taking us all along on your incredible journey..

Thank you Ruth for your delicate question.. I'm sure many of us were wondering..When we were on a short bus trip in Japan in the 70's, we stopped at a bus terminal & the only facilities for ladies were holes in the floor.. It was a bit difficult & now would be very difficult for me in my old age..LOL ..

I am late to the party as I was cruising.

Your thread is so beautifully written

I have spent a well deserved break reading it and couldn't stop until I finished

Beautifully done and many thanks for taking the time and the money for taking us along

Enjoy :)

As long as the topic is still here - my most memorable Encounter with an Eastern toilet was in 1977 on a moving (and I mean MOVING) ferry on the inland Sea of Japan. Could not do that today.

Thank you for all of your comments - you make me blush ... And Ruth I am glad this helped you. I had much angst over this issue as this trip got closer and closer and things have turned out much better than anticipated. According to our guide, while in the planning stages of the Olympics, China had a large toilet summit to discuss this issue.

Your description of the Happy Room sounded like my friend's experience in 2006. She did a short impromptu video in a public restroom that was interesting. There was also something she referred to as the Privacy Button or Polite Button- don't recall now. It caused waterfall sounds to play to cover any sound effects.

Betty- thanks for posting Arzz's South America thread. I plan to savor it- that was prior to my having heard of CC- and prior to discovering cruising.

In China - October 27, 2014

This morning we had a late morning - 9:00 am to show up for tours. Our first stop was at a factory that makes silk duvets. The process was demonstrated to us from the live silk worms, through spinning the thread from the cocoons, and finally stretching them to make the duvet stuffing. The prices were reasonable and we would have actually bought one except for our cat, nicknamed Mr. Pukey - as about once a month, when he feels ill from too much undigested fur, he jumps on the bed and pukes. You cannot wash the silk duvets - you spot clean the cotton covers. Would never work for us.

I was also interested in some of their silk clothing but I discovered very quickly that I do not have a Chinese figure ...

From there it was on to the Shanghai museum - what a wonderful set of historical collections are found there. Bronze, paintings, sculpture, coins, seals (or chops), clothing, furniture, calligraphy, etc - all organized on five floors of exhibits. Easy to navigate. Some of the things that I saw that most impressed me were the "thousand Buddha stone" with 1000 small Buddha's carved into it, a seal with a five headed dragon and some wonderful paintings - beautiful artifacts dating back hundreds of years. I could have spent more time than the couple of hours that we had.

Lunch to day was a feast - dim sum at the hotel's Chinese restaurant. We were served many courses of these tiny treats, each seemingly better than the last. One of the most memorable was stuffed with pork and broth - the special eating technique for this lovely was to put it on a spoon, take a small bite to break the dough and suck out the broth, then dip the remnants in sauce and enjoy. Once again, we were stuffed.

After lunch it was out to the tourist shopping mall of Old Town Shanghai - a rebuilt area near the Yu Yuan Garden, designed to help to separate the tourist from his money. A good place, however, for those who need trinkets for grandchildren and friends. The shopping area was just as crowded this time as when we were here in 2008. We would have stayed at the hotel if we had realized exactly where we were going -- others in our group, however, did well filling out their shopping lists.

This evening we were treated to a performance by the Shanghai Acrobats. The group of acrobats that entertained us in Shanghai in 2008 were all quite young and as I recall their performances were spectacular (doing things like juggling incredible numbers of plates each atop a separate stick while standing on their heads supported only by their teeth and balancing two other acrobats on their arms) but very much like a circus.

Today were told that the acrobats had a new program - and there is no way to know if the troop of acrobats that we saw tonight were even remotely related to the young group who performed for us before - but tonight's programs was spectacular.

First, the acrobats were older than 16 - adult and strong and second - the program did not look like a circus. It was like Cirque du Soliel meets Shanghai Acrobats. Their performances were new and modern with costumes to match - even a little edgy at times. There was a lot of dance in what they did for us as well as some juggling, balancing and lots of spectacular acrobatics. The scenes had stories to tell and a couple were quite funny. Very upbeat.

Tomorrow will be our last in Shanghai and by afternoon we will be flying to Yichang to meet our Yangtze River boat and begin our four night cruise.

arzz - I am so enjoying your posts re the Uniworld 18-day China tour. We enjoyed this same tour that left Beijing on Oct. 12 - we returned home this Wednesday. I was so impressed with Uniworld's attention to detail throughout the entire trip. Our guide, Zhang, was with us from Beijing to Shenzhen, where we crossed the border from Mainland China to Hong Kong. A Uniworld guide met us at Shenzhen airport and accompanied us to the hotel in Hong Kong.

You must be on the Yangtze at the moment and enjoying every minute. On our trip, Internet connection was very spotty and weak while aboard. Looking forward to your review of the Yangtze, Guilin and Hong Kong.

Cynthia

Correct Ceeceecruiser. We have been on the Yangtze. Just pulled into Chongqing where the internet actually works so I should catch up with my posts at our hotel this evening.

I so agree with you about Uniworld.

In China - October 28, 2014

This morning the Uniworld Schedule had given us free time until noon when we had to leave for the airport to fly to Yichang. Over half of our small group of 12, however, were interested in visiting the Jewish Refuge Museum and we asked our guide, Kevin, if we could somehow arrange to do that. By the time 9:30 this morning rolled around 10 out of 12 were going and all we had to do was pay for the cost of the bus and the cost of admission to the Museum - both nominal. Kevin and our local guide Allie came along with us for the ride.

From 1933 to 1941 China accepted 18,000 Jewish refugees - about 14,000 of these refugees were accepted by and lived together with the Chinese community in this neighborhood in Shanghai.

I had visited this museum when I was in Shanghai in 2008 and this visit, for me, was just as powerful as the first. The Museum is housed on the site of the former Ohel Moshe Synagogue and is dedicated to the Jewish refugees. The Synagogue was originally built by Russian Jews and became an important place for refugees and the Jewish community to gather during the second world war.

Allie arranged to have a docent take us through the exhibits and the museum. The docent was a retired gentleman who had lived in the neighborhood for years and had actually worked, at one time, at the synagogue. The presentation includes a short film about the history of the Jews of Shanghai and several exhibits about their history. It also includes more modern pictures of those who lived in Shanghai before and during the war and came back to visit their former community.

Lo and behold! A woman in our group who is from Australia recognized friends of hers in one of the modern photos - she had previously been unaware of their connection to Shanghai.

From the Museum we walked through the neighborhood and into the nearby park that used to be the Jewish cemetery. The neighborhood itself is fascinating as it is a vibrant area, full of buildings that pre-date the war - it is not a tourist area so it gave us a chance to view a Chinese residential area - complete with the old folks in the park - many caring for the grandchildren - and the wash hanging outside from anything that can suspend clothing.

Great kudos to Kevin and Allie for being willing to give up their free morning and add this unscheduled visit to our tour in Shanghai.

Then it was good-bye to the Waldorf Astoria and Mr. Toto (the toilet) - talk about conspicuous consumerism - creating a desire for something that you don't need and had no idea that you might want - that bathroom did that for me .... Then off to Pudong Airport for a quick airport lunch and a flight to Yichang. When we arrived here it was very grey, overcast and raining. We did not see the ground, pretty much, until we were on it. We do hope the weather will be better for tomorrow's scenic sight seeing.

From what we did see as we exited the airport - we are finally in an area of China where there is some open space. There are so many people here that it seems, at times, all China has are cities. Yichang is considered small - only 1.3 million people. On one of our flights we read an article in the in flight magazine that carefully explained that the U.S. is a big country with a small population where things are very far apart. The article used that as an excuse for why Americans really like shopping on line because it takes us so long to get from place to place.

Our cabin on the Century Legend, our River Boat, is very pleasant - bed, desk, couch, small balcony, storage. Uniworld charters an exclusive area on the boat - we have access to the Executive Lounge for sitting and snacks - and a private dining room. This trip, we are sharing our dining room with a group from Vantage Travel for breakfast and lunch, but we are still exclusive for dinner. And, on the boat as in the hotels, Uniworld has arranged for us to have complimentary internet access. Typical, however, of boats it is VERY slow and somewhat unreliable. This evening I have only been able to download my aol email - not the email in my personal account. I do not yet know if I will be able to post this on line tonight.