Celebrity Cruisers who have sailed Azamara...

elena7seas

One thing no one complains about on Azamara is loud music reverberating throughout the ship or ruining the atmosphere in the bars.

:D:D:D

Thanks everyone for your very helpful replies. They helped me to make my decision.

I am going to book the Azamara cruise (Dubai to Chennai) next week when I am on the Silhouette.

The itinerary is the number one reason that I am considering this cruise. It will be a big change from Celebrity, but I like the "clubby" look of the ship. There are quite a few sea days, so I am hoping that I find enough to do on the ship.

Again, thanks so much for all the helpful information, and for the link to LibraryLady's excellent review.

I have also looked at Azamara.

I won't sail on their two ships because they are so old. They are from the 90's , Renaissance ships.

The other smaller ship cruise lines are all building and sailing new ships...Seabourn, Silverseas , Oceania and Regent.

I can't imagine why RCL refuses to invest in Azamara.....until they do, I'll sail on the new modern ships...

Edited by Kevnzworld

I won't sail on their two ships because they are so old. They are from the 90's , Renaissance ships.

The other smaller ship cruise lines are all building and sailing new ships...Seabourn, Silverseas , Oceania and Regent.

I can't imagine why RCL refuses to invest in Azamara.....until they do, I'll sail on the new modern ships...

While I love the Solstice class ships, I can still have a good time on older ships, as long as they are well maintained. The small cabins are okay for me, but my husband really needs more space to be happy. The itinerary is what is really driving me this time, but I have read enough on this thread to feel confident that I will enjoy the ship.

I think something is happening with Azamara though;I'm just not sure what it is. The cruise I'm booking is in November 2016. Lots of things could happen by then.

:D:D:D

Thanks everyone for your very helpful replies. They helped me to make my decision.

I am going to book the Azamara cruise (Dubai to Chennai) next week when I am on the Silhouette.

The itinerary is the number one reason that I am considering this cruise. It will be a big change from Celebrity, but I like the "clubby" look of the ship. There are quite a few sea days, so I am hoping that I find enough to do on the ship.

Again, thanks so much for all the helpful information, and for the link to LibraryLady's excellent review.

Hi Elena,

Sorry for being a little late to your thread, but work has been extremely busy over the past several days.

I've sailed on both Journey and Quest. Yes, the ships are on the older side, but they are well maintained. While the Azamara experience is quite different from Celebrity's... especially as Azamara's ships are much smaller at 30,000 tons, carrying nearly 700 guests - the onboard experience is outstanding. Keep in mind that it's fairly sedate, and not to expect a whirlwind of onboard activities. Not a big deal, as most folks sail with Azamara for the destinations.

When I sailed on Journey last, I thought the officer and crew engagement were amongst the best I've ever experienced, and definately added to the cruise enjoyment. While the topic of food is very subjective, we thought the cuisine was excellent, especially in their 2 specialty venues - Aqualina and Prime C. Their buffet was somewhat better than what Celebrity offers, although Celebrity does an excellent job too. One big difference is that Azamara rotates the buffet items with more frequency, and was hotter and tastier - we liked that.

As others have mentioned, one of the many advantages of Azamara's smaller ships, is that they can dock at ports which the larger ships cannot visit. Depending on your itinerary, that could be a major plus.

If there's one thing that's not the greatest, it's the onboard entertainment, which may not be a major concern on a port intensive cruise. We happened to enjoy the entertainment... but it's not a big splashy show - think of it more as cabaret entertainment. I've heard their entertainment has improved in recent months, so it may be better than what we experienced.

While we have no current plans to sail on Azamara, I'd highly recommend them. If you have further questions, feel free to post here, or email me.

Hope this is helpful !

Edited by Host Andy

I have sailed on 2 of the old Renaissance ships between Princess and Azamara. They are great. Don't not take a cruise for that reason. I was on the 3rd Azamara cruise ever back in the day and THAT turned me off on ever cruising with them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Elena,

We sail Azamara and Celebrity. They are completely different experiences, but we love both. :)

Hi Texed: Just curious as to what differences there are that you love. We love Azamara and just started back sailing on M ships with Celebrity. For us booking Aqua and dining in Blu helped in the changeover from Azamara to X.

So sorry for you. Old ships, things, people do not deserve denigration simply because they are old. If you haven't experienced you shouldn't condemn.

Old? Both Journey and Quest were built in 2000 so your facts are wrong. They are lovely ships inside and nicely designed. Modern and contemporary like the S-Class they are not, but very comfortable (love the loungers by the pool and seating elsewhere on the ship).

Phil

So sorry for you. Old ships, things, people do not deserve denigration simply because they are old. If you haven't experienced you shouldn't condemn.

To each their own. A ship isn't a person!

I've sailed on " older " ships, as in Regents ships, and Celebrity's Millennium class ships. ( Regent is building a new ship btw )

I prefer new fresh ships with a modern design, larger cabins, real balconies and modern bathrooms. There's nothing good about rust, deterioration, old furnishings and moldy shower curtains.

I wish Azamara would build new ships as all of its competitors have given that I'm Elite + and the perks are transferable.

After sailing on the Solstice ships, and recently Seabourn Quest, it's hard for me to get excited about sailing on a 15 yo ship. The Infinity last year was the last time for me.

I'm sailing on one of Oceania's new ships in January for that reason.

There's a huge difference ( IMO ).

To each their own. A ship isn't a person!

I've sailed on " older " ships, as in Regents ships, and Celebrity's Millennium class ships. ( Regent is building a new ship btw )

I prefer new fresh ships with a modern design, larger cabins, real balconies and modern bathrooms. There's nothing good about rust, deterioration, old furnishings and moldy shower curtains.

( IMO ).

Like you say "To each his own" ... I personally prefer the comfortable, intimate feel of the small "older" ships with their nice real wood, brass and beveled glass decor rather than the plastic glitz of some of the newer ships. BTW - I have NEVER encountered "deterioration, old furnishings and (especially) moldy shower curtains" anytime on Azamara.