Spirit Airlines

nasa1974

Be careful - Frontier is now under the same owners as Spirit - and their M.O. is the same - low initial and then stick it to you.

JK

Googled around, and it appears that the FORMER owner(s) of Spirit bought Frontier from Republic Holdings ... and plans to run Frontier with a business model like that of Spirit. I do not believe these carriers currently have common ownership.

Thanks for all the information. Airfare is the major decision when choosing an airline but we weight all the other factor as well before making our final choice.

How about safety and on time schedules and customer service?

My DH and I flew on Spirit many years ago from NY to Orlando.

We were young and regarded the low airfare price when we chose Spirit because it fit our budget at the time.

The plane was delayed leaving NY. While waiting at the gate,we realized that

they were changing the flight crews ,and perhaps because of so many complaints from the

passengers about the extreme delay, the flight crew got on the plane not through the

gate ,but buy walking on the tarmac.

On the return flight, we kept looking for the Spirit gate area for our flight.

We could not find any signage for Spirit.

We finally found the gate where they had put up a cardboard sign over another airline's signage.

That made us wonder about the quality of the planes they were using.

Never again did we fly on Spirit.

We have had much better experiences flying Southwest and Jet Blue- IMHO.

• 4 months later...

Its all about what your looking for. If your willing to go without the "perks" and want a flight thats gonna be price friendly, you would want to consider them. I have flown them once and using them again in April..

I'm not a fan.

I'll second the comments about cleanliness. I tend to not care, but the women I was traveling with were appalled. The tons of "required" upcharges also really add up.

The one thing I'll say is that if you can get the Exit row, it becomes a good deal. Otherwise, I'd have to be pretty desperate to go with them again.

Spirit does not have agreements with any other carriers. If there is a mechanical problem, etc., they cannot put you on another airline. If you want to change to another carrier, you will have to buy a ticket. Since you plan to travel in February, I would research another airline.

Happened to me LGA to MYR Myrtle Beach, mechanical on the flight back. Could only rebook us 3 days later.

Just know what you will get for what you have to pay for.

FWIW

Spirit does not have agreements with any other carriers. If there is a mechanical problem, etc., they cannot put you on another airline. If you want to change to another carrier, you will have to buy a ticket. Since you plan to travel in February, I would research another airline.

Not only that, but they are famous for having flights between cities that only run every 2 or 3 days. If that is the case, and your flight is canceled, it may be 2 or 3 days before they have another flight running that particular route.... and it likely will be full.

As for the legroom, they average several inches less than most other carriers, (and those other carriers are already rather tight).

Personally, I will only fly them as a last resort and fortunately it has come to that was once years ago when I had to get to a funeral on short notice.