Very specific gluten-free dining questions about Silhouette

PAGA

I was pleased to hear that Bistro on Five offers gluten-free crepes and that the coffee bar sometimes offers gluten-free treats. I've also read that the buffet includes gluten-free pasta and pizza (even though Celebrity's response when I noted the special dietary request on our reservation was to avoid the buffet - lol).

Does anyone know if The Porch has gluten-free bread to make Panini's?

Is the Lawn Club Grill ever open for lunch? We sailed on a holiday sailing last year and it was not...even though some crew told us it usually is...

I also think I read somewhere (although I can't find it now) that the burgers Celebrity serves at the buffet and poolside are pre-patted burgers made with a binder that contains gluten...can anyone confirm that? (Obviously I'm inquiring about ordering them without a bun...just inquiring about the meat). And if this is true of the buffet/poolside, does anyone know if the burgers on the dining room menu at lunch are the same? Or the room service menu?

Does anyone know what brand of hotdogs Celebrity serves?

As for room service breakfast...we're in a Concierge class room...is gluten-free toast available?

And a dinner question...I believe I read that Tuscan Grill has a gluten-free focaccia bread that some people have successfully requested and had delivered to their MDR table. Who do I see about that? The MDR maitre'd or the Tuscan Grille maitre'd?

Many thanks! We've been on more than 20 cruises, but this will be our first gluten-free...I know there will be plenty for me to eat around the ship, but I just want to set expectations for the rest of our traveling party as to where will be easiest for me to eat.

Can't answer your specific questions but I'll direct you to a post I made on another thread on the Gluten free topic. The bottom line for some friends was to make sure you are dealing with managers or other staff who you've determined are reliable sources and not to trust the lower level general serving staff if you have not talked to them enough to get a feeling for their knowledge of the subject. There are managers, and asst. managers, available in all dining venues to guide you on this including the buffet area.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44002168

Edited by Lsimon

The offerings at the coffee bar can vary from cruise to cruise. On our recent Solstice cruise there were never any GF cookies or pastries available. I checked daily. There was always GF bread (similar to Udi's white bread) and a rather bland GF muffin available. The muffin was OK fresh, but a bit like cardboard when not so fresh. Room service GF toast was available.

I can't speak to the burgers, Panini sandwiches, pizzas and other things you mentioned. I am careful re cross-contamination and foods that may contain added food starch, which usually means gluten.

You can eat in the buffet if you are careful. A fruit and cheese plate works. An antipasto plate lunch works. Steamed rice (not pilaf), plain carved meat (no sauce or gravy), and salad with oil and vinegar dressing is a safe choice. You can layer plain meat or fish atop a salad. There is not a dedicated GF section at the buffet, so choose wisely.

The evening meals (for us this was in Blu) were very nice because the waiters were knowledgeable regarding GF and suggested nice options for dinner. Sometimes I pre-ordered and other times I was able to order off the menu. There were times when our food took a bit longer; I suspect it was because of the GF. Our waiters in Blu varied, but there was a system used by the maître d to notify each night's waiter of my GF request.

Do complete the special needs form requesting GF. Talk with customer service if you have questions.

To add to the above, we have cruised often on Celebrity with my BFF, who has Celiac. She always lets special services know about her GF needs well prior to the sail date, then immediately speaks with the MDR Maitre d' and our section Maitre d' once on board. We always take traditional seating to ensure we have the same wait staff at dinner who knows and understands her needs. Celebrity has always gone out of their way to ensure she is safe in her food choices and has always has GF pasta, bread, buns, etc. on board for her. They have also made special GF items for her when ordered at least a day in advance, such as GF Turkey Parmgiana and her own flavour (or two) of ice cream, which she can enjoy throughout the cruise. In the buffet she always seeks out a senior staff member who helps her navigate the choices, and there's always lots to choose from including carved meats, salads, baked potatoes, plain rice, steamed vegetables, fruits, etc. Just don't be afraid to speak up and ask questions and you will be fine.

I was pleased to hear that Bistro on Five offers gluten-free crepes and that the coffee bar sometimes offers gluten-free treats. I've also read that the buffet includes gluten-free pasta and pizza (even though Celebrity's response when I noted the special dietary request on our reservation was to avoid the buffet - lol).

Is the Lawn Club Grill ever open for lunch? We sailed on a holiday sailing last year and it was not...even though some crew told us it usually is...

I also think I read somewhere (although I can't find it now) that the burgers Celebrity serves at the buffet and poolside are pre-patted burgers made with a binder that contains gluten...can anyone confirm that? (Obviously I'm inquiring about ordering them without a bun...just inquiring about the meat). And if this is true of the buffet/poolside, does anyone know if the burgers on the dining room menu at lunch are the same? Or the room service menu?

As for room service breakfast...we're in a Concierge class room...is gluten-free toast available?

And a dinner question...I believe I read that Tuscan Grill has a gluten-free focaccia bread that some people have successfully requested and had delivered to their MDR table. Who do I see about that? The MDR maitre'd or the Tuscan Grille maitre'd?

Many thanks! We've been on more than 20 cruises, but this will be our first gluten-free...I know there will be plenty for me to eat around the ship, but I just want to set expectations for the rest of our traveling party as to where will be easiest for me to eat.

My best advice is stick to safe foods that you know are safe. In the evening let your waiter know you have specific questions of items. You can give him a list. And they will get back to you. There is a GF item on the menu. Of course they will discuss the next evenings meal with you that night.

The amazing Tuscan bread is no longer served as far as I know. We were told no food can go from resturant to resturant anymore, and when I was last in Tuscan they didn't have it, regular or GF. Would love them to bring it back and the original goat cheese soufflé recipe.

Even if someone knows what brand was served on their cruise, it doesn't mean It is the same for your cruise. I found they get info for to you rather quickly.

FYI I was told the ice cream they make has malt or something making it non GF. So ask, they could have changed the recipe.

Soufflé...pretty darn good and GF.

Edited by hulamoon

...You can eat in the buffet if you are careful. A fruit and cheese plate works. An antipasto plate lunch works. Steamed rice (not pilaf), plain carved meat (no sauce or gravy), and salad with oil and vinegar dressing is a safe choice. You can layer plain meat or fish atop a salad. There is not a dedicated GF section at the buffet, so choose wisely....

A cruise friend (who does not frequent Cruise Critic) had good options in the buffet. He spoke with a manager there frequently who would go over options with him including items that were not always out and items that could be prepared special for him. I don't recall everything he had there but I do recall him having GF pizza and pancakes but I think items like this may have had to have been ordered a day in advance. I continue to feel that the most important thing for GF, or any similar dietary restrictions, is communication with a management employee working in the food service area as they are the most knowledgeable about the availability and suitability of such items.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Bummed to hear that the Tuscan focaccia is no longer available :(

And pleased to learn I should be able to score some GF toast for breakfast through room service :)

As noted in my original post, I have already added the gluten-free notation to my reservation through the appropriate channels with Celebrity, and I have done a good bit of research on the boards before posting my questions. I'm an experienced cruiser and am familiar with the general food options onboard and which foods will be safe for me to eat...but...if anyone has had specific experience eating gluten-free (especially on Silhouette) and can address my original questions about The Porch (gluten-free bread for Paninis?), buffet/poolside burger ingredients (pre-patted with a binder containing gluten?), and Lawn Club Grill (open for lunch? this is a general question, not a gluten-free question) I'd appreciate having the information in-hand prior to boarding...and will, of course, double-check with food service management once onboard.

I just don't want to show up with our cruise travel party at a dining venue that everyone has their heart set on only to find out there is absolutely no chance I can eat there (and - lol - I don't consider being able to have a salad or lonely chicken breast "eating"...especially not on a cruise!)

Thanks!

Just off Reflection and their response to my wheat intolerance was first class , gluten free toast for breakfast in buffet or room service, crepes in Bistro , Pizza in Lawn Club , cakes from Cafe el Bacio I'm lucky that a little wheat does not make me really ill , as to burgers and sausages in the buffet i understand that they both contain rusk which is the binding agent and that contains gluten so i avoided them .You will find all the help you need if you make them aware of your problem , enjoy your cruise

... Lawn Club Grill (open for lunch? this is a general question, not a gluten-free question)...

...I just don't want to show up with our cruise travel party at a dining venue that everyone has their heart set on only to find out there is absolutely no chance I can eat there...

The lawn club grill was open for lunch at least one day on our single Silhouette cruise. Not sure if it open more often than that but it was not every day.

If possible ask about GF options a day ahead of time. This will not only avoid surprises but will allow them time to prepare special dishes that needed advance notice. I know our friend that had GF did this on Eclipse a couple years back and that some of the things he had did require advance ordering and would not have been available on short notice. You might even want to ask about this at each restaurant while you tour the ship on embarkation day so that you'll know what your options will be throughout the cruise.

The lawn club grill was open for lunch at least one day on our single Silhouette cruise. Not sure if it open more often than that but it was not every day.

If possible ask about GF options a day ahead of time. This will not only avoid surprises but will allow them time to prepare special dishes that needed advance notice. I know our friend that had GF did this on Eclipse a couple years back and that some of the things he had did require advance ordering and would not have been available on short notice. You might even want to ask about this at each restaurant while you tour the ship on embarkation day so that you'll know what your options will be throughout the cruise.

Agreed , the Lawn club is open for lunch every day i think , if you want a gluten free pizza just ring or call in the day before .other dining venues will accommodate you better if you give some notice , i had a crepe at Bistro on 5 and the waiter apologised and asked would i mind waiting 20 mins for gluten free of course i said no problem just pour me another large glass from the free Premium package !!!!

I can not answer some of the specific questions, but can say, they will do a wonderful job. Why? My wife is stage 4 Celiac, the lining of her stomach is, well, Celiac people understand.

We sailed the Reflection last Nov and the attention from EVERY person involved will food was above and beyond anything we have experienced since she got the 'answer' in 2003.

Fill out the Special Needs form and fax it in, then follow up with a call to make sure it is noted on your booking.

FYI,

The GF pizza made to order in the Buffet and Lawn Club Grill, brought tears to her eyes, it was so wonderful.

On our sailing the Lawn Club was only open 1 lunch, and was $25 per person.

She ate the burger and hot dogs with no problem, get one before they put it on a bun.

Murano was also wonderful.

Edited by wallie5446

Thanks so much to all those who've provided additional details and responses to my questions! Still a few months until we sail but I promise to do a review of our GF-experience when we get back. Dining is such a huge part of all our vacations, and I've learned in the past few months that pre-planning is best to avoid disappointment - I appreciate all the advice!

Thanks so much to all those who've provided additional details and responses to my questions! Still a few months until we sail but I promise to do a review of our GF-experience when we get back. Dining is such a huge part of all our vacations, and I've learned in the past few months that pre-planning is best to avoid disappointment - I appreciate all the advice!

My wife has found a couple of things that help, not a cure, there is none. But they break down the gluten some before it can attack.

image.jpg.fd8557740b1c7559d25e6fc778e19604.jpg

DW has a special diet which they often try to confuse with Gluten free. Wait staff seems pretty well trained on Gluten free diet. We have met with chef's and restaurant manager on multiple ships and the first thing they always say is that soups and sauces are all GF as they thicken with rice flour. Of course then we have to say she's not GF and go on to explain her diet.

Can't answer your specific questions but I'll direct you to a post I made on another thread on the Gluten free topic. The bottom line for some friends was to make sure you are dealing with managers or other staff who you've determined are reliable sources and not to trust the lower level general serving staff if you have not talked to them enough to get a feeling for their knowledge of the subject. There are managers, and asst. managers, available in all dining venues to guide you on this including the buffet area.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44002168

I agree with your recommendation. My wife is gluten sensitive. We made this known to the Maitre D on the first night of our recent cruise on the Silhouette. He ensured that she had GF bread in the MDR each night and provided an overview of what she could/could not have the night before so we could plan our dining options for the next day. We were also told to give the specialty restaurants a day's notice so that they could prepare GF modifications to her menu choices. We thought that this was top notch service.

My wife has found a couple of things that help, not a cure, there is none. But they break down the gluten some before it can attack.

Thanks for the recommendation - I am non-Celiac, gluten-sensitive and I use these products every time I eat outside my home. I will definitely have a large supply with me for our cruise!

DW has a special diet which they often try to confuse with Gluten free. Wait staff seems pretty well trained on Gluten free diet. We have met with chef's and restaurant manager on multiple ships and the first thing they always say is that soups and sauces are all GF as they thicken with rice flour. Of course then we have to say she's not GF and go on to explain her diet.

Good to know that about the soups!:)

Maryann

Thanks for the replies so far.

Bummed to hear that the Tuscan focaccia is no longer available :(

And pleased to learn I should be able to score some GF toast for breakfast through room service :)

As noted in my original post, I have already added the gluten-free notation to my reservation through the appropriate channels with Celebrity, and I have done a good bit of research on the boards before posting my questions. I'm an experienced cruiser and am familiar with the general food options onboard and which foods will be safe for me to eat...but...if anyone has had specific experience eating gluten-free (especially on Silhouette) and can address my original questions about The Porch (gluten-free bread for Paninis?), buffet/poolside burger ingredients (pre-patted with a binder containing gluten?), and Lawn Club Grill (open for lunch? this is a general question, not a gluten-free question) I'd appreciate having the information in-hand prior to boarding...and will, of course, double-check with food service management once onboard.

I just don't want to show up with our cruise travel party at a dining venue that everyone has their heart set on only to find out there is absolutely no chance I can eat there (and - lol - I don't consider being able to have a salad or lonely chicken breast "eating"...especially not on a cruise!)

Thanks!

I'm sorry if this has been answered, I didn't read through all the responses but I can tell you that the burgers do have some sort of binding ingredient that is in all likelihood not gluten free. My sister is sensitive to gluten and tries very hard to avoid it. She does not have celiac so it isn't absolutely critical to avoid it so occasionally she will give something a try. She had a burger, removed the bun and ate just the patty but did end up with a small tummy ache and the usual bloated belly she gets when eating gluten. She was pretty sure it was the binder in the hamburger. She was very sad because the hamburgers up in the Mast grill are awesome. Oh and this was on the Silhouette, we been on it twice now. The same sister has an extreme, life threatening allergy to shellfish so we have a lot of firsthand experience with special dining requests.

Hope this helps.

Wallie

Do these really help?

We have 2 grandchildren who have been diagnosed with Celiac and , while they are pretty much able to stay away from gluten, cross-contamination gets them sick form time to time when restaurant servers aren't careful enough.

If they could just take one of those before eating out it might save a lot of pain in the future.

I'll forward your picture of the medications to my daughter.

Edited by chamima

Wallie

Do these really help?

We have 2 grandchildren who have been diagnosed with Celiac and , while they are pretty much able to stay away from gluten, cross-contamination gets them sick form time to time when restaurant servers aren't careful enough.

If they could just take one of those before eating out it might save a lot of pain in the future.

I'll forward your picture of the medications to my daughter.

Wallie

Another question.

Does she have to take those BEFORE she eats or do they help after she realizes she ate something bad?

attachment.php?attachmentid=326647&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1412208387